PDA

View Full Version : Newbie: When can i be sure that I'm an Artist and My art is Good?

humbleartist
04-06-2005, 01:35 PM
Hello everyone on WC! I feel so happy, like a person that was on a deserted island for years and sees a ship approaching the shore. In the world of art, I feel lost and alone.

As a child, I loved art (my grandfather was an oil painter) and often used it to express my feelings. I went to H.S. to study illustration but abandoned my talent when got to college (I needed to earn a living and fast).

I have become inspired to start drawing again and love pastels. I have been asked a few times "are you an artist?" I felt shy and insecure with the response "I aspire to be" wishing that I could proudly say "Yes!" I feel like I have to start all over learning all of the basics. Especially with pastel. I'm so happy that I will get a chance to display things that I work on and get honest feedback. I showed another "artist" a pastel potrait I did and she did not give any feeback. A moment later she said, you need to go to school...What the heck does that mean? Whenever I show my art work to "non-artists" they love it. But does that count?

Secondly, I feel like I've lost the expressiveness I had when I was a child because I'm caught up in technique and "perfection" I feel so disempowered in my art. I really don't know if what I do is "good art" especially with the unsupportive reaction I received from that other artist (she could be hatin' though). Please help. I want to be the best artist I was created to be, but there's so much getting in the way. I plan to start taking art classes which may give me some confidence.

Thanks

khourianya
04-06-2005, 01:48 PM
I like to think that through creating art, we are all artists. Our skill and talent levels may vary, but we are artists. If someone asks you if you are an artist - say yes. If you are uncomfortable with saying that - then just say that you enjoy creating art.

If they ask you if you are a good artist...tell them that art is subjective and what they don't like someone else will and vice versa.

If all they say is "You should go to school" - what does that say about them? Maybe you asked "Do you like this?" or "What do you think?" instead of "Can you see anything I could do on this that would make it stronger?" If this person is really an artist - they will love the opportunity to share their knowledge.

School does not make an artist. You can learn alot from mentors and reading and practice. I know many artists who have never had a day of training in their lives and they do just fine.

Also - there is a really good book you should read that really helped me with the fun factor of art...it is "The Painters Keys" by Robert Genn. It's a short book and is quite insightful and inspiring.

Trilby
04-06-2005, 01:52 PM
Dear Humble, how about showing us your portrait and any other work? There are a lot of fine artists here who are not "hatin' " who will happily give you honest feedback, guidance and support. I too am a recent member and have found that a large number of WC artists are recycling after long absences from the art world. I just picked up art again after 25 years, 35 for pastels. I started out with awful drawings, but quickly my mind and muscles "remembered" and I gained in confidence, surety and quality. I have found that WC and other Internet sites provide a wonderful education free and terrific mentoring. Yes, you may be starting rusty, but the rust will fall away and with each rendering you will have the satisfaction of seeing growth until that morning arises that in the words of one member's signature line "you feel it in your stomache" and know you are an artist. BTW it's not the quality of the work that makes one an artist, but the internal compulsion to create. The quality comes from plain hard work and repeated practice. It's great that you plan on some classes, they will help re orient the technique skills, just be sure that you get someone who knows how to teach (teaching's a different skill than producing art) and who knows how to find your strengths and encourage them and doesn't just correct the faults.
Welcome back to the world of art. I look forward to seeing your work and your growth.
TJ

Mikki Petersen
04-06-2005, 02:03 PM
Hi and welcome! :wave: Boy! Just jump right in there with the tough questions... As you browse these threads, you will see comments by very successful and prominent artists who have all the insecurities that seem to plague artists of every skill level. For my money, there is an old psychotherapy exercise that says "If you say you are an attribute often enough, you will begin to own it." In answer to the question, "Are you an artist?", I used to say, "Oh gosh no!". Then one day I decided that since I spend a large portion of my time painting, yes! I am an artist! Whether a good artist or not is a relative thing, but Yes I am one!

As for the expressionism of the child...when you were a child drawing, everyone probably made a fuss over everything you did so you had total permission to do whatever you wished. Of course your paintings and drawings were very expressionistic of you feelings and interpretations of the moment. As you age, your own expectations and the expectations of others begin to greatly influence your interpretation of things to the point where there are few things you do without thought to the consequences or the judgement of others. Real creativity killer! This is why there are so many books written in every field about thinking 'outside the box'. This phrase really only means, throw out the rules and let the ideas flow.

So if you want to regain that creative energy, the first step is to begin painting just to please yourself. If necessary, do paintings in secret that will not be shown to anyone. There are books full of exercises for artists with ideas like drawing with your eyes closed, do a drawing without lifting the pencil from the page, etc. Somewhere along the line you will crave particular resluts from your paintings if you are like most of us. Then you will begin to study the rules of composition, color, value, etc. As you begin learning these things, your work will feel very artificial because you are attempting new processes. As you continue, you begin to own the concepts that work for you and dropping the concepts that do not and your personal style will re-emerge.

Well, this was probably way more than you wanted to hear and others will no doubt have a different take on it, but this has been my experience to date.

Most importantly, approach art with a light heart and enjoy the process.

Mikki

lindadavis
04-06-2005, 02:28 PM
If I can remember I'll write something addressing this from a notebook I have at home. I'm at work now. But if I forget, Mikki's answer is right on.

I'd say if you have the drive to create art then you are an artist. It's not about whether you are "good enough." I can promise you there isn't one of us that doesn't struggle with that thought every now and then.

Only you can know what direction you want your work to grow, so no none can really tell you that you aren't good enough to be an artist. You can certainly get guidance and inspiration from others to attain your goals, see your work from different perspectives and learn to be technically proficient, but this is about how you express yourself so stay true to that.

Bringer
04-06-2005, 02:53 PM
Hi,

Once I red something here which was more or less like this « You are an artist when you wake up in the morning and feel it in your stomach».
I am little experienced and do not consider myself an artist. However I might say that an artist is someone who produces art on a regular basis.
Like a football player; one is a football player when plays football on a regular basis, not once in a while.
However that does NOT stop a person who plays football once in a while to FEEL like a football player.
Now about your work. I haven't seen it and I am not the person to say if it's good or not. What I think is that one can always improve, either technically either expressivelly.
Better than anyone, you know what you are capable of. And just between us since no one is reading this :rolleyes: there are many renowned artists that are renowned only because they got the good conexion(shouldn't it be connection ?) Well this how it says in my dictionary.

Regards from Lisbon,

Bringer

marshhen
04-06-2005, 03:30 PM
I too am a newbie here on WC and though I guess I call myself an artist, I am also an "aspire to be". Or at least an aspire to be better, and this seems like a great place to work at it.I think "Am I an artist" is something that a lot of us fret over. The advice in several of the other posts in super.
Verna

artpaint
04-06-2005, 03:31 PM
Hi and welcome,
I to am late at restarting to draw ,I loved it in grammer school and high school.I never really consider myself an artist because I am not by any means an expert. I do know that no matter what level I am I have to draw. I never went to art school and never feel my work is good enough to post., but I do know there are talented people on this site that will help you with anything you need to know.Hang in there, post some art and you will see how great everyone is.
Betty :wave:

meowmeow
04-06-2005, 04:42 PM
Welcome!

We all aspire...mostly to improve our artwork!

I think the responses you have been getting pretty much cover it. Now it's time to dive in and start posting your work and by getting some feedback you will begin to learn how to improve and gain some confidence. And poke around this forum and you will find lots of encouragement. WE have people here at all levels and no matter what level they are at....they are always looking to improge and all have moments or long periods of feeling discouraged...so don't give up.

Sandy

artseefartsee
04-06-2005, 05:00 PM
Hope you don't mind yet another personal opinion. I feel an artist has to create. If I didn't know there was such a thing as pastels, brushes, paints, paper,pencils,etc. I would probably be outside making mud pies. I have to create.Sometimes they're good, sometimes not. Some people like my art, some don't. But I have to do it. There are dry periods, when I don't want to even think about art. There are creative periods, when I turn out one piece after another. I once read a statement by Richard Schmidt, and this is my paraphrase. "Every artist feels at one time or another that they aren't really that good" I once met a lady in her late seventies that was not a very good artist at all, yet she painted scenes of the life of Christ, so that those who couldn't read or speak english would see them and know about him, through her paintings. She loved it and was as happy as could be. The book I would suggest is not about art at all, "The Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren. He tells how and why God gives us the passions that He does. Have you ever talked to someone who is so passionate about something that it is all they talk about, but you are bored to tears by it. If you have the passion, God will give you the ability. I personally feel as if I'm in training for greater things. Each drawing and painting just trains me to go on to something bigger and better. Hang in there and just keep at it. I have more of my life behind me than in front of me, so I have to hurry. :D
Sheila

jackiesimmonds
04-06-2005, 05:04 PM
I find your choice of WC name interesting. Humbleartist.

On the one hand, this is good - better to be humble than brash and boastful.

On the other hand, it slightly smacks of someone who is rather insecure and perhaps slightly apologetic.

I was once told by an artist friend never to be apologetic about myself. She taught me a lot. I was due to go to an interview to get into art school - a late starter, in my 30's. She said to me "let's rehearse. You show me your work, and I will pretend to be the professor interviewing you". So I brought out my feeble (in my mind) drawings and began to talk about all the things that were wrong with them. She stopped me, and made us reverse roles.

She then became me, the student. She took out a life drawing, put it confidently down in front of me and said
"I have only been drawing for a few months - I haven't done any drawing since I left school, and just look at this - I think I am doing really well for a beginner, and I know that with the encouragement of your team here, I will improve in leaps and bounds, because I am ready to work hard and learn".

Boy, it made me look at myself in a new light, and sure enough, I went to that interview, tried out her technique, and it worked. They gave me a place.

I am not always so positive - I have huge periods of self doubt, and rarely feel that my work is "good enough" because I am my own worst task-master.

But I recognise that I AM an artist, and was from the day I decided to be so. How good - well, that's another matter. By some people's standards, I am considered good.....good enough to be granted full signature membership, for instance, of the Pastel Society of America. But by other people's standards, I am not good enough - not good enough to be granted membership of the Pastel Society in the UK, for instance, or to get my work into some of the galleries here. They would not even LOOK at what I offer them. some people buy my pics; others would not give them a second glance.

In the end, all you can do, is be the best you can be. Be prepared to work away continuously; the three p's are important ... patience, perseverance, and perspiration! some days, you will feel good about your progress, and your work; other days, you won't - that's life as an artist.

You have a foot on the ladder; so just climb up and join in both the fun, and the pain. The real artist is the one who keeps on going, despite the pain.

J

CindyW
04-06-2005, 05:28 PM
Hi Humble,
Ok, here's my 2 cents...You said it all in your first paragraph. You felt lost and now see this ship coming on the horizon. How big is YOUR smile? Well, your ship has arrived, hop on board! :clap: You'll see this is just where you need to be (it's where I surely need to be!!!!). There are so many friendly people here who are more than willing to give a pat on the back and encouragement throughout your journey. This is coming from a newbie to the site but what I see is all good here so far.

We all need to connect and it's very disturbing to our very souls, our inner self, our sense that all is right, when we forget who we are and what our real drive and loves are, and we stay alone and by ourselves and ignore what makes our hearts sing. I call myself an artist because I want to create. If I was a cake decorator, I would still be creative, just using a different medium. I say I am a pastel artist even though many might consider me a computer graphics artist because that's my dayjob. But, it's in my heart that I am a pastel artist and so I am. Here you are and here everyone is, with the drive and feeling that this path is really really comfortable. Taking classes is not the prerequisite to being an artist, but it's a very very good way to meet likeminded people from whom you can learn and connect with and you just might find some very lasting friendly relationships you'll cherish. I see this as my online class and I've met some very wonderful people that I never would have if I hadn't plunged in and joined in. It's been invaluable to my artistic self esteem in these very few short days so far, and you'll find this to be true, too.

Please post work here, too, so we can support you.
Consider yourself an artist. :)

Westerngirl
04-06-2005, 09:01 PM
Wasn't it Will Rogers who said something to the effect that "no one can legitimately tell an artist that he (or she) isn't".......or something like that.

Good comments above. Welcome to WC, and don't be shy in posting.....everyone's been great so far! :wave:

lindadavis
04-06-2005, 11:45 PM
But I recognise that I AM an artist, and was from the day I decided to be so. How good - well, that's another matter. By some people's standards, I am considered good.....good enough to be granted full signature membership, for instance, of the Pastel Society of America. But by other people's standards, I am not good enough - not good enough to be granted membership of the Pastel Society in the UK, for instance, or to get my work into some of the galleries here.

The real artist is the one who keeps on going, despite the pain.

J

Here, here.

Think about artists that have gone before us. Van Gogh couldn't sell a painting during his life. Grandma Moses was certainly not technically proficient or visually sophisticated. There are still many people today who think Jackson Pollack wasn't an artist, but he was one of the great legends of art history. And then there's Duschamp's Urinal. Arguments could me made that any of these people weren't artists for various reasons, but they were great artists.

The word inspired comes from the roots "in spirit", which implies influence from a higher being or a greater source. Even if you aren't devoutly religious, I think this is something you have to trust. You can't measure if you are an artist or not by how good you are, or if your works sell.

And don't listen to those evil thoughts saying you aren't good enough. I said it before and I'll say it again, ALL artists have those thoughts. So don't trust that voice. Listen to the one that tells you to create, and enjoy!

jackiesimmonds
04-07-2005, 06:34 AM
And don't listen to those evil thoughts saying you aren't good enough. I said it before and I'll say it again, ALL artists have those thoughts. So don't trust that voice. Listen to the one that tells you to create, and enjoy!

boy is this right. We all have a little gremlin sitting on our shoulders, telling us we aren't as good as we should be. Ignore the little devil.

J

artseefartsee
04-07-2005, 08:22 AM
I don't know about humbleartist, but I'm feeling really great reading all of these encouraging replies!!! Think I'll go and paint a masterpiece! :D :D :D
Sheila

humbleartist
04-07-2005, 10:29 AM
:wave: :wave: I just want to give a great big hug to all of you! Boy, I had no idea that I would feel as good as I do right now just by reading all of your responses! You all were in tune with my thoughts, feelings, and insecurities about being an artist, it amazes me. Thank you all sooo very much for the insight, the encouragement, words of wisdom, and sharing your personal experiences. This is where I want to be. Once I am able, I will share my first pastel potrait, in about 15 years, with you.

There is sooo much of what has been said that will stick with me: I need to be happy with my own art. I should call myself an artist simply because I have the desire, in the pit of my stomach, to create. I have had this desire since I was a child (sliding on ice cubes to pretend I was skiing :) ) I need to be patient with myself as a learn how to improve my skills, but to continue to be free with my creating. That, with the passion I have about art, God will give me the ability I desire. To not apologize for myself, and that I need to build my artistic self-esteem. And countless others.... Thank you all so much. I plan to print these replies and add it to my artistic journal. These were the foot holds I needed.

I truly feel like I am among artistic friends.

And as for my ID.....well, who knows, I may never change it :)

Peace and Blessings to all of you! I'm a lot better :cat:

Deborah Secor
04-07-2005, 01:15 PM
I've enjoyed reading all of the replies here, too, humble, and one thing popped into my mind. Over the years that I've taught painting I've discoverd that there are two kinds of art students: the ones who have to finish everything else before they will allow themselves the treat of painting, and the ones who chuck their other (reasonably avoidable) responsibilities and GO PAINT. These last are generally the ones who go on to become 'real' artists, because that need to go paint is built in.

So, when you find yourself saying, "I'll do the (fill in the blank) later, but right now I have to resolve this eyebrow," or some such thing, you can officially call yourself an artist as far as I'm concerned! :D

Deborah

Artaholic
04-07-2005, 01:20 PM
Welcome Humble :clap: :clap: Just remember that every artist started out as a beginner :) Now show us your work.

IndigoRed
04-07-2005, 02:16 PM
When can I be sure that I'm an Artist and My art is Good?

I asked myself that question for a long time......then i realized that it not the question that was keeping me from evolving in my art, it was my discipline......to me if you are creative in any way, whether it be visual, physical, mental....etc....you are an artist......now with that said, to be accepted as an artist outside your "world" and into the world of others there is a big difference....but i believe that it starts from within, stop asking the question if your an artist....you are.......

Now on to the question, how to be sure if your art is good? Now that is a matter of opinion......or so ive been told :rolleyes: .......whether it be your opinion or others that you accept is up to you......so ive been told.....

Criticism is healthy.....it helps us grow.... so ive been told.......do you see a pattern here? Im trying not to be redundant.....

After you have spent hours, days, weeks, months on end practicing, painting, drawing, etc.....let be faces, landscapes, shapes, atmosphere, etc.....will you be able to really ask.....Is it good enough? Discipline for an artist that breathes, eats, sleep, and dream art , yet hardly takes the time to practice everyday.....thats the artist that will be continuously hounded by the question.....Is it good enough?

Im a fourth generation artist on my fathers side....but i was raised with my mothers side of the family, and i do believe that it is the environment that also has an impact on how an artist grows......My mothers family are Crafters, practically everyone of them....I do have a cousin that is very talented in fine art, yet doesnt have the time, so now he oogles my work lol.....And i take it as a compliment, because he showed more promise than i did way before i started taking my art serious......

Discipline......its a word that seems stifling, when an artist should feel free with no rules, only their heart, soul and artist eye to guide them......i feel that all of those attributes can still be had.......but in our world, where the slightest doubt from ourselves, CAN make all THAT seem stifling, because we cant figure out how to express ourselves.....

After awhile some beginning artist start looking towards others for help...and im not talking about help from books or other artists.....im talking about gimics .....a way to do things easier.....i have realized that techniques can be learned from others....but not personal style....After YEARS of drawing and painting......i started to see a pattern in my art....i have strived for a long time to capture what the old masters did in their paintings.....but yet my art always seemed to look more Fantasy than Classical.....and thats not a bad thing....its just if i would have realised it sooner, i dont think i would have "struggled" as much lol......

I just realized that i am going on and on ......please excuse me.....i guess this is just as much for me as it is for you.......

But i will say one last time......Discipline , Is a major key ........no matter the medium, technique, style , etc.......the question: Is it good enough? Is not exactly what you should be asking......Can it be better? In which case the answer will always be YES! NO matter how many times you try (the same painting or drawing over and over again).....it will always be YES!

I wish you the best.....

Stephanie

Nodosaurus
04-07-2005, 05:54 PM
For me, the answer is ALWAYS and NEVER! (How's that for decisive!?)

Its a challenge to always improve. When someone criticizes my work or me (via art), I try to get something specific. If I agree/understand, then I have something to work on.

By declaring yourself an artist, you aren't making a statement that it is your life's work and source of income. You're saying that you like to express yourself through your art medium.

So for me, I'll always be an artist because I create, I'll never be good (enough for me) as I'll always have a goal to work toward. :cool:

Stoy Jones
04-07-2005, 07:37 PM
Secondly, I feel like I've lost the expressiveness I had when I was a child because I'm caught up in technique and "perfection" I feel so disempowered in my art. I really don't know if what I do is "good art" especially with the unsupportive reaction I received from that other artist

I think basics or rules helps us to express more visually. Learning color, elements of contrast, composition, and so forth will improve your ability to communicate to others through your painting. The fun part is putting your spin or individual touch by that I mean choices of color and how you apply your pastel, in a sense your own handwriting will emerge in time. Once, you are very confident, you can bend or even break those rules effectively when you know what they are.

I don't post here much as I don't work in pastels anymore, rather I now work in oils, but I learned all that I know to this point by reading and posting in this forum in the past. You are among some very smart and talented folks here. I tell you, take advantage, read, take a few notes here and there, post, and practice what you get from here and your work will grow.

Stoy

E-J
04-08-2005, 07:02 AM
Hello Niecy. I have only just seen your post today - what a great bunch of responses you've got! I will add my voice to the chorus.

Through practice you'll find you get better and better (by which I simply mean more skilled) because you love your pastels and are moved to keep painting ... this is all that really matters. Just put in the painting time, without thought for a while of where you think you might be 'going' with your art or whether what you're doing is pleasing to those around you. You will be very excited to see where your art starts to take you! I was always drawing compulsively as a child and had dabbled in all kinds of media as an adult, but would never have dared to call myself an artist until 2 years ago, when I found this forum at the same time as I re-discovered pastels. Suddenly I was rushing home every evening after work to fit in my daily pastel sketch! I was painting every day ... in what way WASN'T I an artist?? I posted in one of the forums about wanting a life in art but feeling the opportunity had passed me by ... thinking that because I hadn't officially 'studied' art, I would forever be denied entry into that exclusive club where I imagined self-satisfied professional artists sit around congratulating themselves on all their qualifications ;) My epiphany came the moment I twigged that I am an artist simply because I make pictures and love doing so. I have the freedom to paint for the sheer joy of seeing and sharing the colour that inspires me ... not to pass an exam. When I decided that our tiny spare room was now my studio and that if guests came to stay they'd have to sleep in the garden shed, I was being an artist ... making a choice which showed that priorities were now different in my own mind.

For some of us, great self-esteem doesn't come naturally or easily but is a huge daily struggle. I still find myself internalizing the negative comments of others without even realising it at the time - it's only later that I'm able to identify a thought in my head which is holding me back from my art, and realise the thought doesn't even belong to me, it came from somebody else! Some unsupportive reactions I've shaken out and jumped up and down on lately are: "So, what is all this practice leading to, exactly?" "Hmmm, different. Very impressionistic." "What? You used a photo???" "But it's not red. Why are you painting it red?" "It's not as good as that other one you did. Nothing's as good as that one." It helps to identify these voices (write them down, even, and talk back to them!) and deny them the power to make me doubt what I love to do. I have also had some very lovely comments from friends who DO value my artwork - one of them even commissioned me to paint her mother's dog.

I would urge you to share your pastels with us. You can give us guidelines on how much criticism and help you would like, and people here will generally respect that. You'll learn so much! Welcome among us :)

2bRubens
04-08-2005, 07:49 AM
Someone once said that to be good at something, on has to be willing to be poorly at it first. The point is that you are doing it. YOu will know how good you are getting by exposing yourself to the works of other artists. You will start to say, oh, I like that, or I don't much care for that affect. Be careful when getting advice on your early works, however. Try to find a couple of people who's advice you really appreciate and respect. Instead of saying, do you like this, ask what do you like and what would you like to see more of. This cuts down on the purely negative comments. As for schooling, I studied a tad bit in school, but learned most by reading, looking at art books and exchanging ideas with other artists. MOst of what I know, I've learned outside of school. Learning a new medium is a gradual process. YOu might want to start out with a simple idea or something on a smaller scale. Be okay with taking baby steps. In time, you will improve. My first painting, my first poems and my first performances on an instrument were all terrible. They are now progressing nicely at different levels. Good luck.

dibblet
04-08-2005, 09:52 AM
welcome, I too am new to the art world, never had an art class . But I have always created, be it paper mache, plaster of paris, cutting things up, glueing things together or hammering nails into something, it keeps my brain working. I go to bed every night barely able to sleep, thinking about what I am going to create tomorrow. I too am filled with self doubt, I sometimes wonder why I worry about what people think when they have never created anything in their lives, really their opinions dont count for much.Isnt it funny, you create a painting, really love it, then two days later hate it.I too have been asked if I am an artist, and do you know I have never replied, yes.I think I feel this way because I havent been to art school and feel that I will never have enough knowledge. But anyway I love what I do, and live each day for the self satisfaction of knowing, I did it myself. Carry on and explore every avenue and most of all have fun.

Alisa
04-08-2005, 04:44 PM
hello Humbleartist,

Consider the artist in you your child that needs to be encouraged, protected until strong enough to go out in the world, fed, loved....all the things you might do with a child. Don't subject your "child" to people that might unknowingly hurt, not every one will be sensitive to what you need, so YOU take responsibilty for your sensitivity. It's such an important and very powerful and precious part of you...nurture it, protect it like a lion with a cub. High Sensitivity may not appear to be a Powerful characteristic to have, but it most certainly is if you will harness it. Baby steps.

When you post here, and I sure hope you will, explain what you want to hear from everyone. Most artists are also sensitive like you, and saying that you only want help with encouragement or to just share your art is a wonderful post! Just look at all these fantastic responses you have w/o even a painting to look at...it's a HUGE part of what all artists go through.

now go paint! Alisa

Kenneth44
04-09-2005, 07:57 PM
I believe we are all born artists. Its just that some learn to hide it better than others. Life is hard and art is innocence on display. The ones that hide it away to survive, denise themselves and the world the gifts of creation!!!

Love Ken

prettytulips
01-24-2006, 02:04 AM
If this thread is still open, I'll add to this. When in elementary school we do art and a person who does art is an art-ist. When you sing, you become a sing-er. It's really that simple.

From Dee:

I've discoverd that there are two kinds of art students: the ones who have to finish everything else before they will allow themselves the treat of painting, and the ones who chuck their other (reasonably avoidable) responsibilities and GO PAINT. These last are generally the ones who go on to become 'real' artists, because that need to go paint is built in.

Well, I certainly hope that is true because I played hookey today to paint!

Also, someone here said if you do something every day you are that, but this is not true. I sang opera for 12 years and studied privately, once an opera singer, always an opera singer, It takes time to learn opera and discipline - every day practice, but now- I can go a year without a scale and still sing Mimi in La Boheme:)

On a metaphysical note, being that we create our whole reality we are artists in every way naturally. There is no getting around it, its something you already are:)

mimitabby
01-25-2006, 10:13 AM
If this thread is still open, I'll add to this. When in elementary school we do art and a person who does art is an art-ist. When you sing, you become a sing-er. It's really that simple.

F
Also, someone here said if you do something every day you are that, but this is not true. I sang opera for 12 years and studied privately, once an opera singer, always an opera singer, It takes time to learn opera and discipline - every day practice, but now- I can go a year without a scale and still sing Mimi in La Boheme:)

On a metaphysical note, being that we create our whole reality we are artists in every way naturally. There is no getting around it, its something you already are:)

Hey Pretty Tulips
I couldn't resist answering your post. For almost 10 years i played in a band. I called myself a musician. During that time I did almost no visual art. I quit the band a couple years ago so i could go back to school. Now I feel like a fraud when I tell people i am a musician.
I recently took up the pastels again and i feel equally fraudulent calling myself an artist. it's easier to say; i have a knack for this. or I like to do this.
The "my art is good" part of this question also bothers me. I have never sold a single thing i've done. I've actually felt for a long time that if someone bought my stuff; i would then be an artist; i would then be good.
But as someone else said; VanGogh didn't sell anything!
I guess the bottom line is does it give you pleasure.
It does.
Mimi (named after La Boheme)
Mimi

Shari
01-25-2006, 10:31 AM
What a wonderful topic!! I recommend a wonderful little book called "Life, Paint, Passion" by Michelle Cassou. I have been calling myself an artist for a couple years now, even though I have huge periods of self doubt and many or my paintings go in the recycle pile. I am always creating in one way or another, in one medium or another. Even preparing food can be art! Pastels are my favorite medium, but they are not always the medium I work in. It is the joy of being creative that keeps inspiring me to go on each day. If I don't create each day now, then I feel incomplete or out of sorts. Some days I just hang out and look at other people's art for inspiration or read art books but it's all a part of creating, even the period of gestating new information.

I am happy you found wetcanvas. I love this place and the people here are so supportive. I have learned much here. I never went to art school, I started painting later in life, but it brings me joy (and sometimes frustration) and that is most important to me in life, to feel joy and passion!

saphyre arabian
01-25-2006, 12:36 PM
hi humble,
i agree so much with all that has been said before me. i would like to tell you about my gremlin. i drew most of my life and then stopped during a violent first marriage, and then later after the passing of my father about three years ago and the loss of one of my kidneys from cancer about a year and a half ago. my gremlin was telling me that i couldn't do any decent artwork any more.
i decided that i needed to do what made me happy while i was still here to do it, so i took up my artwork again almost a year ago and haven't stopped since. i was really rusty, but just couldn't stop working. i entered my first art show last august, won three firsts and a second, joined our local art association, have pieces showing in some places here in our town, and have a piece going to kentucky this summer for the egyptian event.

what i'm saying is that you have to believe in yourself first and formost. God gave you a great talent and you must use His gift. it doesn't matter if some people don't like your work, someone will love it! use the gift you have and make yourself happy first, thank God for His gift to you and things will happen from there.

just my opinion:)
diana

mimitabby
01-25-2006, 12:41 PM
hi humble,
i agree so much with all that has been said before me. i would like to tell you about my gremlin. i drew most of my life and then stopped during a violent first marriage, and then later after the passing of my father about three years ago and the loss of one of my kidneys from cancer about a year and a half ago. my gremlin was telling me that i couldn't do any decent artwork any more.
i decided that i needed to do what made me happy while i was still here to do it, so i took up my artwork again almost a year ago and haven't stopped since. i was really rusty, but just couldn't stop working. i entered my first art show last august, won three firsts and a second, joined our local art association, have pieces showing in some places here in our town, and have a piece going to kentucky this summer for the egyptian event.

what i'm saying is that you have to believe in yourself first and formost. God gave you a great talent and you must use His gift. it doesn't matter if some people don't like your work, someone will love it! use the gift you have and make yourself happy first, thank God for His gift to you and things will happen from there.

just my opinion:)
diana

thanks for posting this. well said.

pallavi
01-28-2006, 02:04 AM
Hi Humble
Like you I am a newbie,but unlike you i was not very good at art or expressing my feeling.I wont be discussing my problems here as this not a problem sharing site but I will tell you i was feeling really depressed All I did was sleep , cook and eat.I hated everything about me.when one day while surfing the net for ebooks (I love to read) I came about an ebook(Ithink it still there) by Judith .there was a beautiful seascape.The medium was pastels.I had never heard about it. I always thought pastels to be a kind of color shades.I dont know what prompted me but while buying pencils for my son I enquired about pastels.the shopkeeper gave me oil pastels.That time I didnt know the difference between oil pastel and soft pastel.I painted form it .it wasnt a masterpiece but it was something which gave me great pleasure,and after that I have never rested. I came back to net and started searching for pastel painting and that when I came upon this site. I have lurked here for about 1 1/2 years. In those one and a half year i ate, sleep and dreamt art but didnt practice.I think i was scared to try or paint again.then i thought i will ask the artist here to tell me how to start my progress and then deborah suggested me to go to drawing and skecting forum and start with drawing. now its been a month and i have made tremendous progress.For once I am not scared to draw.
What I am trying to say is it not really important what people think about you what but what you think about your art. if you feel good about it then dont listen to otheres and if you dont feel good about it then try and practice.
this place is a very good place to start. everybody is really helpful here.i would just say that make yourself strong and take criticsm in your stride and practice.please dont feel shy and post your work.if your work is not good then people here will give you great advice to improve it and beilive me it is really going to help you evolve as an artist.I can tell you that because it has helped me a lot. I dont know if I can call myself artist but I think that doesnt matter a lot to me. what matters most is that at least i can paint and i enjoy the process throughly.It has given me some worth and i really thank god for that.
bye
pal

mauricar
05-30-2006, 08:58 PM
Another 2 cents worth: We are all artists, just some are more proficient than others. Everyone had to start and everyone that keeps at it will get better. Post your work here, and allow others to help you grow. It is worth it, so never give up!

Cheryl T.
05-31-2006, 05:25 PM
I have been asked a few times "are you an artist?" I felt shy and insecure with the response "I aspire to be" wishing that I could proudly say "Yes!" I feel like I have to start all over learning all of the basics. Especially with pastel. I'm so happy that I will get a chance to display things that I work on and get honest feedback. I showed another "artist" a pastel potrait I did and she did not give any feeback. A moment later she said, you need to go to school...What the heck does that mean? Whenever I show my art work to "non-artists" they love it. But does that count?
Thanks

There are a couple of things I'd like to say here:
1. If you feel like an artist inside, then you are an artist even if nobody likes your art but you.
2. If anybody loves it, then it counts as far as I'm concerned. Maybe this artist you showed the work to was feeling kind of insecure herself and didn't think she could critique the work.

Welcome to WC. I'm fairly new here myself and have been very impressed with the friendly people I've met here.

lwood
06-09-2006, 04:05 PM
Everyone is an artist. Just many people never bothered to learn about and discover their own artist.

willG
10-17-2006, 04:08 PM
As a newbie I would like to add my two bobs worth, I spent a lifetime in the printing industry as a lithographer, I considered myself a lithographer then.
Now I am retired and can devote myself to my art , I consider myself an artist.

Pabs
05-25-2007, 10:41 AM
Gosh, there are some very long, deep replies here (except mine!), but they all contain excellent advice. Me - when asked the same question, I just reply "art is in the eye of the beholder, but I like to draw/paint etc."
Most art is simply the interrpretation of the one doing the work, it's how they see a subject at a given moment in time. As long as you're satisifed with it, then that's it. Any advice given is as someone else sees it, though this can obviously inprove your work as they may see things that you did not, and that is not a bad thing. Have confidence, and above all, enjoy yourself.
Regards,
Pabs

GMGen
07-23-2007, 11:01 PM
why do you care what other people think about your work? unless you are a professional artist, earning an income off your art, then you do it for yourself. Personally, I love to create, but if someone tells me something I did is crap or its great, it doesnt change what i think about it. I love some artists who others just dont get. Odilon Redon is a case in point. Van Gogh is well known to have been a poor draughtsman in the classical sense, and he avoided precise representation on account of that.

I try to do what I like, and if I think something sucks that someone else likes, they can have it. On the other hand, if they hate something I am proud of, I will still hang it up. Are you an artist? unless you compete or rely on others' judgment about art, then that is up to you.

I wouldn't look twice at most abstract expressionists work unless I knew it was worth a ridiculous sum of money, and that is all the appeal that they have for me.
Had I been a contemporary of Rauschenberg when he was young, I wouldnt have considered him an artist. Evidently he considered himself one, and others did too.

I could keep going with examples (like the impressionists and the salons) but I think you get it

elftwitchell
07-29-2007, 04:18 PM
Dear HumbleArtist:
I once was young and now am old. I have seen a lot of things--some of which I was not supposed to see and I can say that I have never seen any art fairies bestowing on various persons the title Artist as though that were some special plateau of achievement out of the commonplace. An Artist is one of us who creates. Simply that: so create and be...an Artist!:)
Elftwitchell