PDA

View Full Version : Can I use acrylic to frame pastels?

Kim in TX
04-06-2005, 12:47 PM
I know someone who sells ready made frame sets and have considered trying them. The only problem is for paintings over 16x24 they don't have glass but acrylic. Is it safe to use acrylic instead of glass over pastels?
Thanks so much,
Kim in TX

Kathryn Wilson
04-07-2005, 12:02 AM
Glass is best, but I have heard of something you can spray on acrylic sheets to keep them from having static electricity which is the problem with using them with pastels - they tend to attract pastel to the surface.

Carrie
04-15-2005, 03:53 PM
Framing pastels has its own set of problems. You will definitely need to use a mat and if you use a spacer under the mat it will be a bonus as the acrylic will be yet further from the actual art. There is a cream acrylic cleaner, don't know the name off hand, that will help resist scratches and most likely decreases the amount of static electricity buildup.
Carrie

CarlyHardy
04-15-2005, 07:59 PM
You can get a static guard spray for computer screens that will work fine on the acrylic glazing. But remember, the effect does wear off. I've seen a product advertised in one of the art magazines (probably Pastel Journal) but don't remember the name of it, too.

carly

HarvestMoon
05-01-2005, 01:55 PM
I wanted to order acrylic frames that were really cheap, but asked Sooz, and apparently the stuff attracts pastels like little magnets (to summerize what she said, I hope correctly). So if you have to buy special spray, I don't know if it is worth it. I ended up waiting until the local Jerry's had glass frames on sale- the cheap kind that have glass, a frame, and a mat and snap together things to keep it all in place. I am happy with those when they have a sale that is!

Trilby
05-01-2005, 07:50 PM
I am framing in what I call presentation frames. They are $9.00 poster frames, with black,grey or white metal sometimes in a wood finish also, with acrylic instead of glass I get at Wal Mart in the 16x20 size. They have larger sizes as well. For just a few dollars more they can be had with a double mat (I usually cut my own mats, however, or look for sales). The backing is masonite so no foamcore needed. I wipe with a laundry softner or spray with an antistactic after being sure I've really "spanked" off all the extraneous dust. I wear white cotton gloves to handle everything as I frame. No problems so far. These look well on my walls. Make a nice presentation (hence my name for them) in a show, since they give my work a uniform backdrop. The customer gets a piece they can hang or without feeling they've spent twice they can have it framed "better" and I don't have to have 2 prices for unframed or framed.
TJ