PDA

View Full Version : myfirst attempt at digitally colouring illustrations

frogpyjamas
04-06-2005, 07:03 AM
these two peices are my first attempts at digital colouring in photoshop..... the original B&W drawing done in felt tip pen on paper

i'm hoping to use them in my illustration portfolio that i am currently compiling ..but only if they are of good enough quality........so any comments and critique are greatly appreciated

i've made them a width of 300 pixels....hoping this is an adequate size for posting here...really very new to all this digital stuff

new to wc too so apologies if i have commited some crime against forums

many thanks,
lea

LisaArt
04-06-2005, 08:08 AM
Hi Froggy, I dont know anything about photoshop, but it think it looks great. How do you do it? If they are drawn manually... I am curious?
Would be interesting to see in real life. Great illustrations too btw. :wave:

frogpyjamas
04-06-2005, 09:32 AM
thanks lisa!

yes they are drawn manually...i start in pencil on paper{doesnt seem to matter what type} till i get it right then finish it off with a black felt tip pen..

it is then scanned...i tryed taking pics of it with my very old digital camera but couldnt get the detail...so scanning seems the way to go

then i pulled it into photoshop program,coloured it in and played with it...twas diffucult at first on my own.......but a friend gave me some great tips and i was on my way

hope ive answered yer question....happy to answer any more you have

frogpyjamas
04-06-2005, 10:30 AM
in case this helps.....these are the original scans i started with

LisaArt
04-06-2005, 12:11 PM
Hi Froggy :wave: Thanks so much for the explanation. this is so interesting. I can really see now that your colouring in photoshops adds so much more life and depth to the drawings! This is really neat. Lots of savings on buying coloured pencils/markers etc. The photoshop appears to be just a fabulous software. I think I will ask for that for my birthday from my husband! :)
Thanks for posting the b/w drawings...

frogpyjamas
04-07-2005, 06:31 PM
you're welcome....

i think its a pretty expensive program.....i borrowed an old version from a friend to try it out

i dunno about savings on colour pencils n markers.... i'll always still do those..and will still colour the originals of these two by hand.......and then i spose if you start printing off the digital ones theres cost of the inks n paper

either way and costs aside it seems to be a fun and very useful program... i crop and adjust all my digital photos...my friend restores old photographs with it and does digital art.. ...and in the last few days i've been playing with it to make pics into jpg's and gifs for use on my soon to be website

there are other programs that do much the same things...i think there were some posts in the illustration forum recently on this... im sure the digital art forum has loads of tips

thanks for your interest and posts,
lea

Anita Murphy
04-07-2005, 10:15 PM
Just beginning to get to grips with PhotoShop myself so intrigued by this. I love the second image! Behind every little girl is an amazon woman! You can make the images a little larger if you want - maximum size is 500 x 600. I had a magazine called "The Complete Photoshop Handbook" (I have part 3) - which shows images and then gives you the files needed on disk and the step by step instructions to reproduce the images. I learned so much from doing that and would recommend it to anyone wanting to learn PhotoShop as it is SO complex.

flawless_bone
04-08-2005, 03:07 PM
I like both of them. The font in the first one is a little spooky, is that part of the story? If so, cool, and the picture happy sky.
I hope you made the originals at high resolution and print size, like A4 and 300 dpi to be sure you can get them printed for your portfolio.
I sometimes let digital stuff get printed at copy shops but I am not sure if it is cheaper than at home. But it is cheaper than most good traditional art supplies!
I use corel photopaint and c. draw for illustrations. I own it and it is pretty good. You can do almost everything like in photoshop and a little more, too. Photoshop is cool but I prefer it only for classic photo enhancement and it is the number one program for professional image print production.

frogpyjamas
04-11-2005, 08:01 PM
thanks present and flawless bone... useful imformation..

i will certainly take a look in the newsagent at the photoshop mags.... have had a peek at some online tutorials as well which helped....

and yeah i guess the writing is a lil spooky now you mention it.. yes it is part of the story but meant to be, well more whimsicle than spooky...i will look into it

i do not have a printer at home so getting them done eslewhere is the only option... eventually i will have a printer and am most interested in trying it with archival inks and papers to produce quality prints of my other artwork {the non illustrations}.. so im glad to hear photoshop is great for that...and yes the originals are at a high resolution ...good piont though i hadnt even thought of that side o it

i've had a brief look at corel programs but think i shall stick with photoshop for now because its familiar and i am starting to get the hang of it..

thanks again folks.. most appreciated
-lea

digitalruki
09-18-2005, 05:18 PM
I like the original sketches more than the colored version, sorry. It's the gradients you used for the background, they look cheesy. The only reason i would say this, however, is because i really like the originals! They're great. And it's your first try, so great start!

I especially like the second one, so cool.

frogpyjamas
09-18-2005, 08:25 PM
thanks digitalruki..gradients cheesey huh... heheh..they were my favourite part!.. i was so excited to accidently click the gradient tool with no idea what it did and find it gave me the graded background almost the same as what i would have done with water colours..... which quite possibly would have looked equally as cheesey......i do not intend to make any changes at this stage ..but still...any thoughts on how to aquire a less cheesey look?