PDA

View Full Version : River Scene -demo

Tom Christopher
04-05-2005, 10:04 PM
Hello artists- I had a couple of requests to post a series of photos as I worked on a river scene..here they are. This is from a phtoto I took this morning ( took a vacation day) the trees still don't have any leaves but the grass is turning green.. Did the painting after lunch.. 20 x 30 inches on Canson --comments welcome... thank you tom

Here's the finished painting
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2005/35607-tower_rock_WIP_finished_001.jpg

Nodosaurus
04-05-2005, 10:23 PM
Very impressive. I'm still trying to conquer water.

Nori
04-05-2005, 11:49 PM
I am always so greatful for demos. Thank you. My very first thought when I looked at the paintings was that each iteration was beautiful in and of itself. And each so different in feel and atmosphere.

I saw a demo by California pastellist Duane Wakeham (sp. ?? forgive me Duane) who said he always worked the entire painting equally (before stopping or pausing) keeping the tonal values balanced and the total composition developed rather than working one portion before moving onto another. It looks from this as if you do that too. It is something I try to do but I am weak, I admit it, I fall in love with one portion or the other and run out of steam leaving parts of my painting under-developed. Your work always looks balanced.

What a treat to see the process.

khourianya
04-06-2005, 12:19 AM
Stunning work, as always, Tom. I must say that even the cahrcoal stage is a work of art in it's own right! Thank you for sharing the process with us! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Khadres
04-06-2005, 01:51 AM
This is great! I always think of your technique as "sneaking up on the subject and trapping it unaware". You obviously like a fairly developed sketch to start with and then the colors "ghost" in, layer by layer. I need to try more of that rather than my usual jumping in with both feet and dang the torpedos...the "torpedos" get me every time! :D

Very nicely done! Thanks.

dibblet
04-06-2005, 08:22 AM
I adore all your work Tom, thankyou so much for the demo. You really do make a scene become very alive.

tURBOCAT
04-06-2005, 08:23 AM
Wonderful. I am impressed how you take what are probably fairly "ordinary" locations, and bring them to life. I see areas around here in Tennessee that look like Iowa and I just don't see a "painting in the making". You seem to find art all around. :clap: :clap:

Johnnie

maria_khurram
04-06-2005, 08:59 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

meowmeow
04-06-2005, 12:55 PM
Very interesting, Tom. I see you are basically working from light to dark...and it really works for you. Thanks for doing this!

Sandy

Mikki Petersen
04-06-2005, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the peek into your working methods, Tom. Your paintings invariably invoke and "Ahhh" from me and I've finally fingured out why...your work has the luminosity usually found in transparent watercolor. It glows with life even when you paint the dead of winter. I would think there would be quite a market for your work.

Mikki