PDA

View Full Version : Old Mountain Cabin - sketch

artdude
12-15-2001, 10:28 PM
Here is a sketch I worked on just out of my head. An old mountain cabin set in a clearing near the mountains. I used graphite to indicate the distant mountains. Drawn on speckled colored paper

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2001/oldcabin.jpg

Detail of work:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2001/oldcabin2.jpg

RuthT
12-17-2001, 05:00 AM
Just a sketch Artdude ???

Very effective use of the graphite - I learn something new everyday.

I like the panoramic composition, and the tree in the detail is lovely.

Looks as if this could be the other side of the water in your previous drawing :D

els
12-17-2001, 05:18 AM
Hey Art, nice one... I like the use of graphite for the mountains. The cabin is very good also.

My only comment is about the lline of pine trees in the right, they are all the same hight and size. Maybe some variation would help the composition.

Eamon

lraesjoy
06-14-2002, 05:05 PM
Art ~ I love this sketch ... makes me want to pack my bags and head for the hills to camp!

gnu
06-17-2002, 06:02 AM
I quite like this cropped without the right hand trees at all, but having said that, your composition does make it seem expansive, so maybe it's best after all!!:D
the speckled paper is a good idea too.
if I was there, I'd like doors in case of stray bears! (we don't have dangerous things here(except the bush:D ) )

artdude
06-17-2002, 08:50 AM
Thanks for commenting people :D This one actually sold at our local art show earlier this spring :)

NorahT
06-17-2002, 09:12 AM
Good drawing and a nice peaceful scene - I am not surprised it sold :)

Ginette
06-17-2002, 11:04 AM
Very meticulously done as I seen many of your work.

I only wish the cabin wasn't dead center that all.
Have you thought of cropping and making 2 pix.

I think if you cropped it right next to the tree next to the cabin, you will still have the wide openness to the left and lots of mountain in the back. You can still do something with the other leftover part.

Ginette

artdude
06-17-2002, 07:31 PM
Thanks for commenting Norah :)

Ginette: Too late now to make any changes with this. I do know what you mean about the cabin being smack dap in the middle. oops...is all I can say...I knwo that's a BIG NO-NO in art :D:D

kitaye
06-17-2002, 09:17 PM
This is very good Artdude. I'm pretty sure I saw this cabin on my way to Jasper Park this past weekend....or one very like it. The graphite works very well to indicate the distance.

Zarathustra
06-20-2002, 08:09 AM
I like the panoramic effect! And thanks for showing a close up - that detail would have got lost in a 500pixel width translation! I'll be off to the English mountains myself next month. :)

dolors
06-20-2002, 05:05 PM
Well done Artdude. I understand why it is sold, it's very good.

artdude
06-21-2002, 02:10 PM
THANKS for commenting kitaye , Zarathustra and dolors :)