PDA

View Full Version : Two Graphite and Charcoal Drawings

Newwings
04-05-2005, 12:31 PM
Hey, guys- Here're a couple recent drawings. The first is called Lake Grace (3" x 3 3/8"). The smaller version should load at about actual size. The second drawing is called Loch Morning (2 3/8" x 3 3/8"). I've included an enlargement of both drawings.

Both these drawings were begun with a very light rubbing of powdered charcoal, which eventually becomes some of the the drawing's midtones- Brightly lit passages are begun by removing passages from this initial layer with kneaded and other erasers. Shapes are refined, edges sharpened, details and darks developed, surfaces smoothed, etc with graphite pencil.

Mark
http://markreep.net

Cloud Drifter
04-05-2005, 07:17 PM
Wow! your drawings are magnificent! I love the way you used "subtractive" drawing with the kneaded eraser to achieve the light values. You have restored my belief that an eraser is a positive drawing tool and not just for cleaning up mistakes. Very nice.

Cloud Drifter

Bertoni
04-06-2005, 12:10 AM
Mark:
These are incredibly beautiful! Excellent work!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Have you ever done this type of art in larger sizes?

Lady Rando
04-06-2005, 08:02 AM
I have always enjoyed seeing your art and am in awe of these miniatures. Thanks for sharing how you do it.

valchina612
04-06-2005, 11:45 AM
Absolutely fantastic :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
And thankyou so much for explaining your technique. You are an amazing artist.

Val. :wave:

bjcpaints
04-06-2005, 01:13 PM
Mark, These are wonderful - you are so talented!
Barbara

Newwings
04-06-2005, 08:58 PM
CD, Bertoni, LR, Val, Barbara- Thanks very much! :) Largest drawing of this kind I've done was probably 8" x 12" or so. For anyone who's interested in reading more about my approach to these kinds of techniques, check out my article 'Creating A Misty Moonrise In Graphite and Charcoal' in WC's Drawing and Sketching Forum. Thanks again! :)

Mark

Ikneadaneraser
04-07-2005, 01:27 AM
Mark! I've never been into 'miniatures'- not a detraction, just fact.
However, what I have just seen here and on your website is making me want to check this forum more closely!!! I love your technique- and the work it produces!
You can tell from my screen name, I have a special respect for a particular tool!
These pieces are nothing short of Masterful!!! :music:

paintsplatter
04-07-2005, 10:03 AM
Mark...your work is sooooo beautiful. I have seen such masterful control of graphite before in another artist that lives near me. She too has the art of the graphite and the eraser. Alas, she has no web site. Your ability to master those tones, and detail are amazing. Have you ever considered doing a lithograph? Do you have an artist printmaking studio near you? I can easily see your work done on a stone. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Newwings
04-20-2005, 02:20 PM
Jerry, Paintsplatter- Thanks very much :)

Paintsplatter, you know, I've never explored lithography. Though one of my favorite artists, Stow Wengenroth, was a master of the medium...

Thanks again, guys! :)

Mark

Christie
04-22-2005, 01:04 AM
Stunning...! I just stared and stared.:)

3chaway9
04-22-2005, 04:41 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Just had a look at your web site......WOW!!!
your a master of the pencil i see......i love to draw ....i can tell you do too
been trying paints for a wee while....mmmmmm !!! not to good so far anyway i keep on trying.....did you have any drawing tuition? your work looks so proffessional

jody007
04-22-2005, 08:53 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Wow beautiful I just love them! I really enjoy your work!

Jody :D

k9artist
04-23-2005, 01:33 AM
I thought these were some sort of 3D's at first..really nice work!!
Dana

paintsplatter
04-23-2005, 09:34 AM
Mark: Had a look at Stow Wengenroth and you are definately getting up there in the skill department. I really was impressed with his work...thank you for mentioning him to me. I really do think you have the skills to pursue this area of expertese...lithography...check it out. Find yourself a Master Printer and have a chat with them. See what they have to say. I think you have the skills to do this. Good luck!!!

bullyluvver
04-23-2005, 11:12 AM
Hi Mark,

I'm new on this forum and haven't been around much, but I am a great admirer of your art. Maybe because I delve into the realms of fantasy with my own stuff a lot of the time, but it's really very, very good! Can I ask, do you ever work any larger than this, or is this the size you prefer to stick to mainly? Great stuff.

Newwings
04-25-2005, 12:08 PM
Christie, 3chaway9, jody007, k9artist, paintsplatter, bullyluvver- Thanks very much! :)

3chaway9, I'm self-taught. There are pros and cons to both the personal and institutional approach, I think. And regardless of the path we choose, we're always works in progress, you know? Keep looking at what you like, read everything you can find about the kind of work you like doing, take advantage of all the net resources available. Keep working at it, you'll get where you want to be :)

Paintsplatter- Glad you enjoyed Wengenroth's work. I recommend him to anyone who's interested in black and white work. And to everyone else, too :D

bullyluvver- These pieces are probably a little smaller than average for me lately. Sizes do vary :) A current project is 4" x 8". At the moment, at least :D

Mark

Minibrush
04-30-2005, 12:09 PM
Mark, your work always knocks my socks off! :clap: :clap: The depth, the details, the values it all blends into the most marvelous pieces. I'm always left with a sense of wanting to see and know more. I tip my hat.

I'm self-taught. There are pros and cons to both the personal and institutional approach, I think. And regardless of the path we choose, we're always works in progress, you know? Keep looking at what you like, read everything you can find about the kind of work you like doing, take advantage of all the net resources available. Keep working at it, you'll get where you want to be

I am equally impressed that you are self taught. What a teacher you are! I too am self taught and love the multitude of resourses available now. But as you say, we are always works in progress, and for me that's a big part of the fun.

Mini

blumoon
04-30-2005, 08:59 PM
Mark, your drawings are spectacular! :clap: Thanks for sharing them, and your techniques.

Newwings
05-01-2005, 10:47 AM
Minibrush, Blumoon- Thank you! :)

Mark