PDA

View Full Version : Just The Grass--CP Tutorial

Lucio
03-21-2005, 11:12 PM
Hello!
Some friends asked me for a more detailed explanation about the grass of my last thread , so... :D
Please remember, English is not my native language . I would like to be precise
in this HIDI ( how I did it) but I am not sure if I can.
These are the 5 steps of the HIDI.
I hope this can be useful!
Lucio

Lucio
03-21-2005, 11:24 PM
Firts I made a detailed layout with graphite ( 0.5 3h) using a light box to transfer the photo to the Bristol board ( the same paper of my old thread)
I did the contours ,the black dots and a light layer of mouse grey.
Then I worked in the black areas and I added more dots , moss green , dark green and dark grey.I used a thick needle and a small blade to mark the surface
in places where the light will must be visible later.

Lucio
03-21-2005, 11:34 PM
The same thing in this step with more colors and more dots .

Lucio
03-21-2005, 11:46 PM
My intention is to achieve a natural (dirty ) look in this grass, so I used a layer of dark sepia with the pencil almost in the horizontal position. Now some layers of moss green and sap green , more marks with the blade and an eraser ( with a very soft touch) to do areas with less grass.

Karen Cardinal
03-22-2005, 12:00 AM
Lucio this is a great demonstration! Thank you! :D

This is definately a thread that should be added to the hall of fame.
I know I'll be referring back to it next time I do ground. :D

Lucio
03-22-2005, 12:07 AM
For the last step , More layers of dark grey,sap green, moss green, dark green( light layer) some yellow where the sun touch the grass and retouchs with more dots of dark sepia , dark green and sap green. later I used cotton buds to burnish some areas like the shadows under the car and the areas with not much grass.
New retouchs with the blade and with the eraser and presto .
these are close ups , so at some distance this piece looks more realistic.
Lucio

Lucio
03-22-2005, 12:16 AM
Thank you Karen!
Wow ! hall of fame, me?( I mean my work? ) :eek:
Lucio

Karen Cardinal
03-22-2005, 12:21 AM
Well, I guess Val could try to put you into the Hall of Fame... but you might start to feel cramped sitting in there after awhile. ;)

Your work and this demonstration definately should be there though.
I've already rated it! :D

Have fun with it all!

Lucio
03-22-2005, 01:10 AM
Karen!
I donīt know exactly what "cramped" means, but it doesnīt sound good :D
Lucio

Glenspey
03-22-2005, 01:31 AM
Thanks for this Lucio, it is really helpful.
I've rated this thread as well. :)

Gayle

Lucio
03-22-2005, 02:01 AM
Thank you Gayle :)
Lucio

Meisie
03-22-2005, 02:38 AM
Yay! Lucio in the HOF! :clap:
Thanks for the HIDI :D
'cramped' means confined(stuck in) to a small space, getting uncomfortable.....at least that is how I understand it....blind leadingthe blind? ;) :D

Meisie

Lucio
03-22-2005, 02:48 AM
Yay! Lucio in the HOF! :clap:
Thanks for the HIDI :D
'cramped' means confined(stuck in) to a small space, getting uncomfortable.....at least that is how I understand it....blind leadingthe blind? ;) :D

Meisie
Thank you Meise ! :wave:
I was right "cramped" is not a good thing ( I donīt want to be cramped , please no...Why meeee?)
just kidding :D
Well Meise,now you have to tell me what means "leadingthe blind" ( Lol, I think it is a good idea the use of simple words to talk with me :D )
Lucio

Karen Cardinal
03-22-2005, 09:44 AM
LOL Lucio! Yes cramped is not a good thing. :D
Sorry! Your english is so good, I forget sometimes that it's not your native language.

btw: You (and your demonstration ;) ) has 5 stars now. CONGRATULATIONS! :clap:
One step closer to the Hall of Fame. I told you it was great! :D

Weezy
03-22-2005, 11:08 AM
Lucio,

From one non-native English speaker to another, - - - blind-leading-the-blind has an interesting thought behind it.

It refers to one who cannot see, leading one who either cannot or will not see. You can 'see' how effective that might be! Its a study of the absurd and the ridiculous.

BTW, this is a wonderful HIDI. Please do more.

Meisie
03-22-2005, 12:23 PM
:) Lucio, weezy explained my little 'comment' there? Why do I say I'm 'blind' leading the 'blind'? Because I'm also a non-native English speaker :D little play on words.
Your English is good though....and your art is great :D

Meisie

Lucio
03-22-2005, 10:41 PM
Karen! I have 5 stars... it is your fault :D You started that idea about rating this thread...oops 5 stars is a good thing :D thank you.
Thank you for the explanation Weezy and for your comment!
Hey Meise fell free to guide this "blind" I love to learn new things!
Weezy and Meise, what are your native languages? I bet you both are using English all the time ( some people here donīt even speak a good Portuguese).
Thank you all for your vote :wave:
Lucio

Weezy
03-22-2005, 11:06 PM
Lucio, I am of French-Canadian descent and spoke only French until I went to school. I have no accent, and can be fluent in either language. I chose to keep my mother tongue and took classes in it in college just to keep the fluency, because I married a man who does not speak or even understand the tongue. He does know when I am cussing in it though! I find that I no longer have to translate from French to English to speak anymore and that scares me, cause I don't want to lose it completely. My neighbors are Portuguese and Sicilian and Irish! That's America for you! :wave:

I never apologize for the halting words that sometimes come out of my mouth, because I must stop and think of the 'correct' word. It is all a big translation game. We either communicate in sound or my preferred method, visually. It appears you have mastered both. We, as a visual forum, are all the richer for the different approaches that a variety of languages affords us to take. The international flavor of this medium is a rich tapestry. We all are the richer for it.

Lucio
03-23-2005, 12:09 AM
Weezy, I really appreciate yor reply.
My wife loves the French language( I prefer when a woman speaks).
I am Portuguese-Spanish descendant,but I never learned a word in Spanish( at least from my father) .
I am learning English In the Wetcanvas ( sometimes I canīt sleep when I remember a mistake in my posts , but the people here are really fine with me.)
There are a lot of stories , comments and jokes I would like to share but I donīt have enough vocabulary ( not yet :evil: )
Lucio :wave:

Meisie
03-23-2005, 12:06 PM
I'm Afrikaans speaking (similar to Dutch) and haven't 'translated' in years ;) but then I get lots of opportunity to speak it, even hubby can, it is his second language though.

Meisie

Weezy
03-23-2005, 12:58 PM
What other languages are present here? You lurkers, chime on in!

I know at least one person on this site uses a Japanese keyboard, wow....

There have to be a bunch of languages. Doesn't pinkyrybons speak Dutch too?

What else is out there??

Ikneadaneraser
03-23-2005, 01:40 PM
LUCI-OH! LUCI-OH! LUCI-OH!
Thank you! From the bottom of my heart (my deepest emotions) for this HIDI!!!
I told you I hoped to learn from you and the other 'car-guys'! You have begun my education with a masterful demonstration!
I hereby second the nomination to the "Hall of Fame"!

I am the unusual Ango-Saxon descendant of Mayflower pilgrims. I had a German great-grandmother, from whom I learned a bit of Deutsch, sadly mostly forgotten, tho' I can pick out a phrase or two.
My wife is Portuguese/Irish/Scottish. Her grandparents were Portuguese immigrants who sadly forbade the language in their home.

bearded bob
03-23-2005, 03:05 PM
Thanks a lot for this Lucio - a wonderful take on grass, really good to compare this with George's excellent grass demo earlier. Just shows - again - that there is more than one way to skin a cat!

frida
03-23-2005, 03:41 PM
Great demonstration Lucio! :clap: Thank you so much for offering it...

I'll let Bob tell you what it means "there is more than one way to skin a cat!" I am not, after many, many years, that good at English expressions. I came from Argentina at the age of 30, and started to learn the language "from scratch" (from the very beginning?).

So now you know that we hail from the same continent, neighbour! :D

Lucio
03-23-2005, 10:51 PM
Hey Meise, Afrikaans sounds hard to learn , am I right? :D
Wezzy, I know that honorable person with the Japanese keyboard ( not esasy to type, I think).
Jerry, Thank you for your enthusiasm, I hope that HIDI can be useful to you.
Mayflower!! You really have roots :D
Thank you Bob! Yes I think that there is more than one way to skin a cat!
(ouch poor cat) here some people used to skin cats to make little drums ( what
stupid thing ) but now they are using acrylic skins :cat:
Raquel ! Argentina ! :clap: Nice people! a little jealous about our soccer (futebol) but good people ( by the way, Pelé is the greatest soccer player of all time ,not Maradona as they used to say) :D
Big hugs to all,
Lucio