PDA

View Full Version : Contacting NON-winning bidders when relisting

hairballsdotcom
12-15-2001, 01:35 PM
OK -- I sold a print for $127. I RELISTED the print (with a $10.95 minimum/no reserve) and I thought it would be a good idea to contact the "other bidders" for that item from the previous listing to let them know.

One bidder replied with:
"Please do not send me unsolicited emails regarding your auction items. Thank you."
Was this not a good idea?:confused:
Would this be considered spamming? Do I care?

As a Buyer, there's been many times when I wished a seller WOULD let me know about an item being relisted -- since they don't always relist right away, if ever, its hard to keep track of. There's even been a few times I've requested to be notified. And I have on occasion gotten such a message and was glad...

So...is this one person the minority or the majority? I certainly don't want to "put off" anyone concerning my art, but at the same time I'm not sure where to draw the line.

CarlyHardy
12-15-2001, 02:14 PM
I only send emails to buyers....not to other bidders on my art. Apparently this person considered it annoying....

The email I do send is very limited...once about every three months! And its formed as a Press Release instead of a personal email. I always add a note at the bottom to let everyone know they can notify me if they don't want to receive other "press releases".

carly

Sumafra
12-16-2001, 02:23 AM
Hi Lori Lee,

I see 2 issues here. Letting people know that you have relisted the item after they bid on it, seems to me to be quite acceptable. If they were interested before, you'd think they'd appreciate a chance to go for it again.

The other issue however, the way I see it anyway, is that you might antagonize your buyer. What do you think the buyer who paid $127 will feel like when she sees that it is listed again at $10.95. I think you should wait a few months before relisting the same print after it was so successful. Otherwise, if anyone is paying attention, they will not bid high, they will simply wait for the next time you list that print again. I could be wrong, that's just my gut feeling.

timelady
12-16-2001, 05:19 AM
It is also against eBay rules to email bidders unless they are bidding on a current auction (ie. to ask them questions about payment if they're an international buyer for instance).

You're not allowed to add them to your mailing lists either, which is in the eBay rules. Personally I put my ebay winning buyers on my email distribution list but have not had any ask to be removed. Had a few give me email updates too to keep getting the mails (which are not about my auctions but about upcoming exhibitions). Technically I think I'm still breaking eBay's rules.

Hopefully this time round you emailed the very eager bidders and they'll come back anyway. :) You could send an email apology to the one person who asked to be removed - just let them know if's not a mailing list and you won't contact them again.

Tina.

kjsspot
12-16-2001, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Sumafra
I think you should wait a few months before relisting the same print after it was so successful. Otherwise, if anyone is paying attention, they will not bid high, they will simply wait for the next time you list that print again. I could be wrong, that's just my gut feeling.

I agree. That was my gut feeling as well. Something to think about at least.