PDA

View Full Version : Packard grass demo.

gbritnell
02-17-2005, 08:25 PM
This is for everyone who has asked along the way. I've never done this before so I hope it turns out O.K. Here goes.
In pictures 1,2&3 I have started with a wash of Apple Green. In the distance apply the color using light pressure with small vertical strokes. As you come foreward slowly increase the pressure and make the vertical strokes a little longer. Don't worry about the line that forms where the strokes overlap because the later washes will blend this out. As you approach the nearest foreground tilt the strokes left and right randomly as this will make the grass look more natural. Next lay a wash of Grass Green over the first using the same technique. Stagger the rows so that they overlap and start to change the grass to a green color. Remember to keep everything light as you can always go back and darken everything.

gbritnell
02-17-2005, 08:31 PM
Pictures 4&5 are where I started to lay in some shadow areas under the car and from the trees that are out of the picture on the right. I started by using Dark Green in these areas to give me reference of how dark I will need to apply the subsequent layers.
In picture 6 put down a layer of Celadon Green to start making the distant area a little smoother. You will notice a lighter band running between the two cars. At this point I am trying to give the grass a little variety to break up the large area.

gbritnell
02-17-2005, 08:37 PM
In pictures 7&8 I have started to darken the foreground with Marine Green and I have also darkened the shadows under the car and along the sidewalk with Dark Brown and Indigo Blue. In picture 9 I have laid down a wash of Limepeel but not over the entire area. Here again I'm trying to give the grassy area some variety. As a side note, when I start laying in my final washes I use a blunter tip in the rear to help blend the strokes out. You wouldn't see much detail in the grass that far back. As I work toward the front I keep my pencils sharper (not extremely sharp at this point) to give the grass shoots more definition.

gbritnell
02-17-2005, 08:46 PM
In picture 11 I started to lay in the shadows on the walkway using Slate Blue and Clay Rose. In pictures 12&13 I have darkened the shadows under the car using Dark Purple and more Dark Brown. In this particular painting which is of a car but it could also be a building, you have to take into account the direction of light and its reflection onto the grass. In this case the light is coming from the right side so therefore the area away from the front wheel and tire and the area away from the body will be lighter because of the reflected light. A large grassy area is hard to do so you want to put in various shades of green and different textures by angling your strokes to simulate the grass growing in different directions. It's true that a well manicured yard will be even and the blades of grass will be short and straight but then it would make that area very boring.

gbritnell
02-17-2005, 08:56 PM
In pictures 14&15 I have put in more layers of Celadon Green and Marine Green to fill in any area that might stand out too much. At this point you should step back and see what the overall area looks like and make any adjustments with color and texture that are needed.
Some things that I have found in doing grass are that each picture will dictate its color for the grass (Greener, bluer etc.) I also try to stay away from yellows because it will make the grass look like its dying, unless of course it is. And lastly I use complementary colors in the shadows to make the green stand out. I want to thank everyone for following my work and I hope this is understandable and consice.
George

Exeter
02-18-2005, 01:23 AM
George,

Thank you for this. :) What an eye opener. Very thorough demonstration on the grass and very educational. Thank you for taking the time to share this with us. :clap:

ripvanblair
02-18-2005, 04:11 AM
A truely wonderful demonstration, the result is outstanding, many thanks ---------------Alan

Glenspey
02-18-2005, 04:31 AM
Thank you very much, this is a really useful demonstration which I will come back to. :)

Gayle

wet
02-18-2005, 09:13 AM
Thanks George!! Very clearly done. Will defiantly use this demo in the future. :D wanda

Norma69
02-18-2005, 10:48 AM
Great demo :clap: :clap: Thanks George

Will certainly make use of your method once I finally start doing REAL bgs

Love your cars as well - but won't attempt those. Thanks again

Norma

CAULFIELD
02-18-2005, 11:27 AM
:clap: Thanks George this is great!

Asher
02-18-2005, 08:01 PM
Wonderful demo, George! Will have to look this one up the next time I do grass.

Sanford

KayleasFan
02-18-2005, 10:47 PM
Ooohhh... I'm remembering this one for sure! Grass has always scared me but you have made it look doable. Thanks, George!

bearded bob
02-19-2005, 06:56 AM
Wonderful demo George, thanks. I have always stayed clear of Grass Green - thought it was a horrible colour - but in combination with the other colours you have used here it works well.

BKWYRM
02-19-2005, 08:29 AM
George, I have always been too intimidated to try grass, but you have demystified it for me. Thanks!

Rosa Weitzel
02-19-2005, 10:01 AM
George not only are you a wonderful artist, you make a great teacher. I really like your use of color. Thank you for this demo it really helps.

Rosa

gbritnell
02-19-2005, 03:19 PM
Normally I would say thank you in general but I would like to personally say thanks to Rosa, BKWYRM, KaleasFan, Bob, Asher, Caulfield, Norma, Wanda, Gayle, Ripvanblair, Exeter and to everyone else that took time to look. If I do something like this again I now have a better understanding of how to do it.
George

Katherine T
02-21-2005, 01:32 PM
Thank you George - really helpful. I'm rating this thread as excellent. :clap: :clap: :clap:

One for the Hall of Fame maybe? :confused:

Katherine

GenineAnn
02-21-2005, 01:40 PM
George, this is so good. It should be in the HOF as there are no demos under the landscape section...unless I missed it.

:clap:

GenineAnn
02-21-2005, 01:43 PM
Katherine, we must have been posting at the same time!! I agree, as you can see. This grass demo is very detailed and should be considered for the HOF.

See, great minds think alike! :)

ams
02-21-2005, 04:11 PM
This was a wonderful demo. You did an excellent job of explaining and illustrating your technique. Thanks for sharing. I have bookmarked it for later use. :clap:

Anne

(I think it should be in HOF too!)

Dave.t
02-21-2005, 05:52 PM
Many, many thanks George for putting this demo together....will be used time and again I'm sure.

bobcat79
02-21-2005, 08:57 PM
George, thanks for the outstanding demo. I enjoy all threads, but I enjoy the most the threads that I can learn from. This has been very educational for me. Hopefully one day, I'll have the talent to put some of this into practice.

NancyPH
02-22-2005, 06:30 PM
Thank you George for the great demo on grass! I'll be refering back to this again in the near future so I can paint my own grass! :D