PDA

View Full Version : Eye Tutorial

Glenspey
11-19-2004, 10:32 AM
As promised.
As this is just a demo I haven't been careful with the shape of the eye and the diagrams are actually bigger than my drawing.
I first draw the shape of my eye using Polychromos Paynes Grey, I indicate the pupil in the same, but use graphite to define the highlights then I can easily erase later.
The second step is covering the pupil in Black Grape taking care to reserve the highlights and washing the Iris with Cream. I always use those initial colours no matter what colour the eye will end up.

In the second diagram.
I have strengthened the line round the eye using polychromos black soft and softened the graphite round the highlights.
I next wash the pupil with indigo blue.
Most of the Iris is then washed with Deco Aqua except the a bit at the bottom and the edges which get another wash of cream.

I then wash the pupil with Polychromos Black Soft. I have done another layer of Deco Aqua but changed the cream to Jasmine.

All the above layers are even done with a really sharp point. From the next layer I will start using different pressure to indicate marks in the eye.

Glenspey
11-19-2004, 10:51 AM
I have added a layer of black to the pupil.
I have then layered Light Aqua over the Deco Aqua, put a layer of cream over the whole area except round the pupil and then another layer of deco aqua.

Glenspey
11-19-2004, 11:19 AM
I've put the eye in some fur, using raw umber, dark brown and black.
I used Aquamarine with a really sharp point to start defining marks, then washed the whole thing with cream pressing on slightly harder.

Glenspey
11-19-2004, 11:33 AM
Darkened the pupil with black. Put some more Aquamarine marks in, then added two layers using Jasmine and Deco Aqua working them in as I think. I have started to add Black Grape for shadow.
It is just starting to look like it has shape.

TxAggieDarlin
11-19-2004, 11:53 AM
WOW, this is fantastic...thanks for doing this

Bcoulter
11-19-2004, 11:56 AM
I'm going to do this with you, however all I have are prismas. :(

Glenspey
11-19-2004, 12:02 PM
Thanks for commenting.
Bill, you can use any grey for the paynes grey and use another layer of indigo instead of black soft, all the others are prismas.

Glenspey
11-19-2004, 12:20 PM
Gone over the pupil with grape.
Added light green over the shadow and jasmine around the edges, then layered cream with medium pressure. Added light blue in the large highlight.

Glenspey
11-19-2004, 12:32 PM
I've layered white over everything except the pupil, then worked more deco aqua, light green and jasmine. I took a little of the blue out of the top of the highlight, then used white with a really heavy pressure.
I added indigo to the shadow.
At actual size this is looking reasonable.
I will work another layer of cream then blend using a colourless blender.

Glenspey
11-19-2004, 12:47 PM
Finished product, IRL I would continue working with the colours already used until I was happy.
I apply the same principle to all eyes simply altering the colours to suit the animal.
Hope this is useful to the people who wanted me to do it.

Gayle

Bcoulter
11-19-2004, 12:59 PM
Thanks alot for this Gayle! :D I think anyone who's interested in trying her technique should post their results here. Maybe Gayle will be so kind as to add her c&c.

Meisie
11-19-2004, 02:35 PM
Thank you Gayle!
I'm rating it so it can go into the HOF for future reference!

Meisie

lynn1
11-19-2004, 02:47 PM
Thanks Gayle, You make it look easy. :clap:

ElfeUra
11-19-2004, 03:02 PM
THANK YOU SO MUCH :) this is so great!
next one is the fur??? :wink2:

Rita

Bcoulter
11-19-2004, 03:02 PM
THANK YOU SO MUCH :) this is so great!
next one is the fur??? :wink2:

Rita

:clap: :clap: :clap:

daftun
11-19-2004, 04:17 PM
really great lesson Gayle thanks,
Della.

Norma69
11-19-2004, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the tutorial - A BIG THANKS - I printed it so I can try it sometime soon - have some huge dogs eyes to do for a friend.

:cat: :D

Norma

Geez - I was just searching for something on prismas in the HOF and noticed a note from Arlene saying we should ask permission to download lessons.
I didn't mean to be rude - just didn't think I had to ask on a tutorial
:( Sorry - MAY I PLEASE?

RobinZ
11-19-2004, 05:32 PM
Yes, thanks so much!! Great stuff!

Anna Dee
11-19-2004, 05:51 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

This is so great!! Thanks a lot!!!

Anna Dee

frida
11-19-2004, 06:54 PM
Excellent demo, Gayle! :clap:

THANK YOU!

Katherine T
11-19-2004, 11:22 PM
Gayle

What a really helpful thread for anybody trying to do pet's eyes. Got any tips about how to take photos so that you don't end up trying to paint some of the wierd effects you can get when photographing animals?

I'm also rating this - highly!

Katherine

Riene
11-19-2004, 11:25 PM
Gayle, thank you! This was very interesting to read through, and I think it will be helpful about doing layers in general.

Glenspey
11-20-2004, 01:41 AM
I'm glad this has been helpful, anyone who wants to download to use is welcome. :)
Katherine, after months of saving I have recently bought myself a digital SLR and am now trying to match my skills to the camera. When I photograph animals I always get down to the animals level, this has often involved lying full length in wet grass at dog shows and I never use a flash, this minimises the distortion but doesn't eliminate.

Gayle

wet
11-20-2004, 07:38 AM
Thanks so much for doing this Gayle! I really helps to see how many layers you use. Sometimes in a small area I have a hard time getting that many layers and get discouraged. I will be more patient! :D wanda

Rosa Weitzel
11-20-2004, 09:01 AM
Thank you,
Wonderful explaination of layers for the eyes. I agree with you about not using the flash on animals, when I did Zoe my dog I took 52 pictures of which only 4 where worth while. The little buggers get camera shy.

Rosa

bearded bob
11-20-2004, 09:21 AM
Great Gayle! :clap: :clap: :clap:

ICreate
11-22-2004, 10:15 AM
Just another note of thanks for this. I'm drawing eyes for a girl today and a crocodile :) in a few, so it's good to have this very detailed point of reference.

Thanks for the information and for taking the time to photograph and upload photos of the different stages.