PDA

View Full Version : Scratchboard and colored pencil Dancer

Diana Lee
12-03-2004, 12:33 PM
I have started another color pencil and scratchboard. The title is "Young Native American Dancer". This is a 12" X 16" Ampersand claybord smooth and I used Prismacolor colored pencils. I scratched with a broad nib and an xacto knife.
The first image is the eyes (always start with the eyes).
The second image is a closer look, I will use the larger cropped image until I work the outer edges.
The third image I have placed some of the background to be sure the shapes of the face are correct.
The fourth image is where I have mapped out the rest of the shadows on his face.
I will add more this weekend.

Diana

Bcoulter
12-03-2004, 12:36 PM
this is cool. :D Your scratching takes place of the underpainting, interesting technique.

btw, i love those native american dancer photos in the ril.

CAULFIELD
12-03-2004, 02:09 PM
This is amazing. I'm confused though, which parts are scratched?

Nicole :)

Meisie
12-03-2004, 02:18 PM
Pulling up my chair...:)

Meisie

Katherine T
12-03-2004, 02:37 PM
Can we have macro shots like the last one - that I understood, this one I'm not sure.

Thanks

KNelson
12-03-2004, 02:56 PM
PLEASE explain this technique - I'm so intrigued- beautiful work so far!

Kathee

Diana Lee
12-03-2004, 04:15 PM
I am including a detail of the mouth so you can see the scratching. All of the white lines are scratches. Most of the scratching will be used in the head dress
I'm a little embarassed to admit that in order to write this book I have to use mediums new to me and color pencil is one of the new ones. This is only my second color pencil, the dog I did earlier being my first. I assumed everyone here already knows more about the actual coloring with the pencils and all I was introducing was the scratching part. So be patient with me if I don't know some of the terminology. And let me add, I have not been so excited about a medium since I discovered oil paint. Color pencils are wonderful.

Bcoulter..I don't scratch under the color pencil, in fact I try to avoid it as much as possible. It was hard to choose among the dancers in the library, I hope to do the green faced one some day.

RobinZ
12-03-2004, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the explanation! It's really cool how you combine our favorite medium with scratching!! :clap:

Luc
12-03-2004, 06:08 PM
Following this with great interest.

pencils4me
12-04-2004, 12:17 AM
Diana!

Good to see your doing a second piece, and in here too! Way cool.

I'm glad you posted your other one - I knew everyone would love it. Gotta watch out for this bunch - greedy ones with questions we are :wink2: . They'll be no leaving - did anyone tell you CPs are addicting?

LOL

TJ

Rosa Weitzel
12-04-2004, 10:45 AM
I to am very interested in your method. I love new ideas especially ones that look as good as your work does. Will check back when mores done.

Rosa :clap:

thom futrell
12-04-2004, 11:05 AM
:clap: :clap: :wave: what an impressive piece so far. looking forward so seeing more

thom

Diana Lee
12-04-2004, 11:40 AM
I have more completed. In the first image I worked more on the background. In the second I worked on the face.

Katherine T...The third image, of the ear, is for you. But, like I said, right now I am mostly using scratching for highlights and some texture and the heavy scratching will be in the beaded band and the head-dress.

TJ...That is so funny, Just prior to reading your post I was telling my husband that I thought Prismacolor was adding something to their pigment that made the pencils addictive.

I have a question. Has anyone tried the transparent oil pencils?

Diana

wet
12-04-2004, 11:43 AM
This is really neat thanks for the info. I am going to have to check out those pics in the rl. You won't beable to put down the cps after this! :wink2: :wave: wanda

SilverFeather
12-04-2004, 11:57 AM
Wow, it's so gorgeous already. I LOVE the colors you're using.

Gotta watch out for this bunch - greedy ones with questions we are

TJ is right so here goes...
Would you tell us the colors you're using so far?

I will definitely stay tuned for this one!!!

Diana Lee
12-04-2004, 12:29 PM
Here goes...For the skin I used Black, Beige, Salmon Pink, Peach, Pink, Spanish Orange, Goldenrod, Sienna Brown, Dark brown, Dark Umber, Indigo Blue and Tuscan Red.
For the red ribbon I used...Black, Peach, Pink, Poppy Red, Orange, Crimson Red, and Tuscan Red
For the Blue Ribbon I used...Black, Light Cerulean Blue, True Blue, Violet Blue and Indigo Blue.
For the black Ribbons I used...Black with and overcoat of Indigo Blue and in parts an overcoat of Dark Green.
For the background I used just about all the colors mentioned above.
In one of my production frenzies I may have used a color not listed here, but I do think I got them all. I will try to remember to say what colors I used in later posts, but the colors above will probably be my palette.

Diana

arlene
12-04-2004, 02:36 PM
i need to try this one sometime! i'm just watching.

Meisie
12-04-2004, 11:44 PM
Watching enthralled :D

Meisie

Katherine T
12-05-2004, 02:57 AM
Diana

Thanks for the macros - much appreciated and I now understand what you're doing much better.

Applause for the acratchboard technique aside :clap: :clap: :clap: what we should also not lose sight of is you're doing a brilliant composition and excellent colour pencil drawing before you start scratching - as you did with your last piece. This is a medium which obviously suits you ....but it does leave me wondering how splendid your drawings on some Stonehenge might be!

Katherine

kimo
12-05-2004, 09:09 AM
For someone who doesn't know anything about colored pencils, you sure are doing an awesome job!

Thanks, also, for your detailed answer about your dog in the wildlife forum.

This method has definitely peaked my interest! I bought a white ampersand board to play around with for this technique.

Anyways, beautiful portrait so far!

Yowie
12-05-2004, 10:12 AM
this is great. The colors are awesome too. I use scratching a lot too and it works well.
I REALLY REALLY love the colors and the boy's expression
Beautiful piece it is going to be

TxAggieDarlin
12-05-2004, 10:15 AM
wow, amazing........always something new to learn....beautiful work and I look forward to seeing more

sekhmet2002
12-05-2004, 10:19 AM
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :envy: :clap: :envy: :clap:

I can not find words for this, only have a chaos of words like
"wow","cool","brilliant",breathtaking"

I simply LOVE your technique with scratching...

Your second colored pencil piece ?? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

pleeeeeease keep posting, I am watching with total interest!!!!!

Chris

Diana Lee
12-05-2004, 11:42 AM
Thanks to all of you. Here is the latest level of completion that I have scanned. I used the same colors on the kerchief that I did on the red ribbons. I am working on the beaded headband right now, but it is getting muddy and I am not at all pleased. I think I will get brave and use a single edged razorblade and scrape the headband off. This is one of the advantages of using scratchboard. I have never tried this technique with pencil, but it should work like any other medium. I will scan the image before I scrape so I can show the before and after. Wish me luck!

Diana

sekhmet2002
12-05-2004, 11:55 AM
I am still speechless........excellent piece!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris

Glenspey
12-05-2004, 01:26 PM
Wow, picking jaw up off floor. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Gayle

BKWYRM
12-05-2004, 02:29 PM
Wow! Amazing!

Diana Lee
12-05-2004, 10:50 PM
Well people, the scraping off worked ok, but when I tried to redo it I didn't do a much better job. Unfortunately, I can't risk scraping it again at the risk of hitting board. I will leave the headband now and work elsewhere.
The images here are first the over worked headband, next all pencil removed from the headband and last the new headband.

Diana

Jomitzi
12-06-2004, 05:48 AM
Fantastic, I think you are doing a terrific job with this. I am amazed!! :eek:
I will be watching closely.
Jo

Diana Lee
12-06-2004, 06:24 PM
I have started work on the headdress. I have included three Details. The first is just color pencil (when I know I am going to be doing a lot of scratching I am not as careful and precise with the color pencil) the second is after the scratching and the third is after I added a bit more pencil and did a bit more scratching.

Diana

lynn1
12-06-2004, 06:38 PM
Wow!! You're doing a great job. Thanks for the detailed tutorial too. :clap: :clap:

Meisie
12-06-2004, 06:40 PM
Thank you for showing the details, this is really interesting...and coming along beautifully...

Meisie

JenCorwin1
12-06-2004, 07:06 PM
This looks incredible! I would love to try this sometime. It seems like a much easier way to place the highlights. The headress is especially impressive. :clap:

ElfeUra
12-07-2004, 04:01 AM
Diana,
this is just incredible!
WOW :clap: :clap: :clap:
Wonderfully done!!

Rita

BridgetJones
12-07-2004, 04:51 AM
This is really stunning! I also love your background. You're doing an excellent job! :wave:

bearded bob
12-07-2004, 02:07 PM
This is what I love about cp - you think you have seen it all then someone comes up with a mind-blowing new way of using them!! Wow!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

TxAggieDarlin
12-07-2004, 02:12 PM
GEEEEEEEEE this is truly amazing......so crisp........so perfect.......

sigh.........I am depressed :wink2:

really great job

sekhmet2002
12-07-2004, 02:24 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Stunning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it, itīs excellent!!!

Chris

wet
12-07-2004, 03:08 PM
This is fantastic!! Are there different textures with scratch board?wanda

Diana Lee
12-07-2004, 09:12 PM
Thanks so much for the comments.
Wanda...Claybord comes in two textures. Smooth and textured. They recommend the textured for pastels and watercolor.
Here are more images of my progress. The two details are the two feathers before scratching and and after.

Diana

sekhmet2002
12-08-2004, 04:22 PM
my god.............

you are so fast with your piece!!!!!!!! HOW do you do that :eek: ??

Stunning :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

warm regards

Chris

Jazz
12-08-2004, 06:36 PM
I second what Bob wrote :-

This is what I love about cp - you think you have seen it all then someone comes up with a mind-blowing new way of using them!! Wow!!!

That is a fabulous technique!! How did you come across it or is it something you have always done?

What made you try the Colour pencils with this technique?

OOOO... I would love to try this, I must put it on my ever increasing list of 'to do's' in art, LOL.

You are doing a sensational job with the CP's alone, the scratching is like the icing on the cake -BRAVO!!BRAVO!! :clap: :clap:

Oh! and thank you for all the dribbliscious close ups :eek: :D

I think the headband looks excellent -are you going to darken up the colours a touch there?

Big Hugs,

OOPS!! Sorry I thought I should mention that I am going to rate this thread as I think it ought to go into the hall of fame, as a new and interesting method with CP's plus the close ups are excellent and so it is easy to follow :) .

ALI

Katherine T
12-08-2004, 06:51 PM
Good idea Ali - me too.

Now what I want to know is where do we find clayboard in England. I feel a "mission impossible" for Bearded Bob UKCPS webmeister and good all round egg coming on. Or shall we all look out for it?

Diana Lee
12-08-2004, 07:17 PM
Well People, It is finished.

Chris...I don't know how I work so fast, but I always have. It could be in part because I get obsessive about the work and it is all I do for 10 to 12 hours a day.

Ali...I am writing a book on scratchboard with different mediums and so I had to try different mediums for the book. I was very pleasantly surprised how well color pencils work with scratchboard. I was also surprised how much I love color pencils. I'm hooked. However, I must move on to other mediums (after I play a bit more with color pencils) One of the discoveries I made was in the headband. I can't darken it because I scrapped off the old band and it left the surface so smooth the pencils won't stick. I have since discovered that instead of scrapping with a blade I should have sanded it off with a very fine grade of sand paper. I may go back and redo the band, but not now. Thank you for thinking of me for the hall of fame.

Katherine T...I want to thank you as well for the recommendation. You can get claybord from Dick Blick, but I don't know if they ship to England. You could use professional grade Essdee White Scraperboard if you can't get claybord.
Essdee is in England. I think I have an address for them if you want me to look it up.

Diana

Jazz
12-08-2004, 07:30 PM
he looks very regal and proud, absolutely stunning!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

One option is fixative -workable fixative, that might give you a bit more surface if you find your pencil layers going slick, although I don't know how well it would work with claybord?

Thank you so much for sharing this with us, the effects you get with scratching are fantastic!Also, thank you for answering my questions :) .

Are you going to do another one for us, seeing as you are going to play a little more with CP's before you move onto another medium? :evil: :D

Big Hugs,

ALI

Diana Lee
12-08-2004, 07:54 PM
Thank you Ali, what a great suggestion!!!! I will try it and let you know.

Diana

lynn1
12-08-2004, 08:11 PM
Outstanding job and thread. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Diana Lee
12-09-2004, 12:11 AM
Sorry, am I embarassed. I posted the wrong finished picture. Here is the right one.

Diana

Katherine T
12-09-2004, 02:45 AM
Katherine T...I want to thank you as well for the recommendation. You can get claybord from Dick Blick, but I don't know if they ship to England. You could use professional grade Essdee White Scraperboard if you can't get claybord.
Essdee is in England. I think I have an address for them if you want me to look it up.

Yes please! Plus could you say what makes you recommend for the scraper tools.

Thanks
Katherine

Flame Lily
12-09-2004, 08:44 AM
Diana, what can I say? This is breathtaking, really wonderful :clap:

Went over to Dick Blick to put some smooth claybord on my wish list. They have a tool kit that looks like it would be all you'd need for scratching? I'm interested to hear how the workable fixative will be with this. I see they have a "claybord fixative" and say "Claybord Fixative seals artwork so that it can be framed without glass."

This is exciting, thanks so much for sharing this, I never thought I'd have so many toys to play with in my 30's and beyond! :D

[Edited for spelling... LOL]

CAULFIELD
12-09-2004, 10:49 AM
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for showing this to us! It is a beautiful piece of art! :clap:

Good luck on your book! Make sure you let us know when we can purchase it! :D

Nicole

Diana Lee
12-09-2004, 02:11 PM
I will keep you all posted about the book, but it will be awhile.
Flame Lily...I didn't like the tool kit. The nibs are cheap, but they don't work as well as the Hunt/Speedball brand (they cost around $1.55 each) and for my uses I don't use most of the types of nibs in the kit. The claybord fixative is great! After three coats you couldn't scratch it if you wanted to.

I get the brand of nibs I stated above at my local art supply store, but if you can't find them locally I will let you know where you can find them online. The trouble with getting them online is the postage is a killer.

I use the pointed nib, the broad nib, an xacto knife, very fine grade wet/dry sandpaper, and sometimes steel wool.

Ali...You are a little devil, tempting me. I so love the feedback that I will post my latest. I started it yesterday and I will post this afternoon.

Diana

Flame Lily
12-09-2004, 02:18 PM
I will post this afternoon.

Diana
Whooohooo!! More eye candy :D

Thanks for the info, I'm glad this is in the HOF so I can find it when I need to.

drawingmomma
12-09-2004, 02:22 PM
Diana~ This is great! :clap: :clap: I was a little confused at first, but with your excellent close-ups, I have a pretty good idea now how you did this! He looks just beautiful! :clap: :clap: :clap: Looking forward to your next one! :wave:

Meisie
12-09-2004, 03:18 PM
Terrific job!!

Meisie

sekhmet2002
12-09-2004, 05:53 PM
Hi ya Diana!!!

Yes he really has a proud and regal expression...YEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSS
show us your latest one,PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!!!!!

I love it so much, awesome job you did on this one.
Well, I only find time to draw after work in the evenings, or on my free days.
Donīt know if I had the passion to draw ten to twelve hours a day :confused:

Thank you so much for sharing this!! Big hugs!!!

Chris

@katherine t.:
Wrote an email to Dick Blick, they do ship internationally,even to germany!!

BKWYRM
12-09-2004, 07:35 PM
This is an unbelievable piece of art.

Are you submitting it to CPSA?

Please keep us posted on your book--I'm sure it's going to be published way in the future. But I want to buy it, so please keep us up to date on availability, etc.

I am now picking my jaw up off the floor. Wow. Wow. Wow.

Katherine T
12-09-2004, 08:50 PM
Christian - let me know how the postage works out cost-wise from Dick Blicks - that's the only thing putting me off at present.

arlene
12-09-2004, 08:55 PM
This is an unbelievable piece of art.

Are you submitting it to CPSA?

Please keep us posted on your book--I'm sure it's going to be published way in the future. But I want to buy it, so please keep us up to date on availability, etc.

I am now picking my jaw up off the floor. Wow. Wow. Wow.

i'm not sure she can because of the surface but Diana you should definitely email them at the CPSA and enter if it's allowed.

this is absolutely wonderful and i made sure to put it in the hall of fame.

Diana Lee
12-09-2004, 10:06 PM
I'm afraid I don't about CPSA. What is it and what happens if I submit this piece
to them? Any information will be helpful.

Diana

arlene
12-09-2004, 10:35 PM
I'm afraid I don't about CPSA. What is it and what happens if I submit this piece
to them? Any information will be helpful.

Diana

it's the colored pencil society of america. www.cpsa.org

ElfeUra
12-10-2004, 02:19 AM
Yes please! Plus could you say what makes you recommend for the scraper tools.

Thanks
Katherine

Katherine,
just have an order running at Dick-Blick (need the paper). As far as I noticed, you even havent`t to pay shipping costs extra, when the amount of order is high enough :) but do not know for certain.
Rita

Diana Lee
12-10-2004, 12:49 PM
But Dick Blick doesn't carry the Hunt/Speedball brand of nibs. The cheaper nibs at Dick Blick aren't very good. Here is where I got mine until I could find a local supplier. It really is so much better when you can visually pick out your own. I realize the price of these nibs cost almost twice as much ($1.55 each) but they are worth it, and you can sharpen them so much better than the Blick brand using a fine grade sand paper.

http://www.artsuppliesonline.com/catalog.cfm?cata_id=1805

Diana

Howard Metzenberg
12-10-2004, 01:32 PM
Diana,

I'm sorry we don't have those particular nibs at this time. We do carry most of the Hunt/Speedball lettering/calligraphy nibs. I have put in a request to get the scratch art nibs added to our next catalog and to our website.

Howard Metzenberg
Dick Blick Art Materials
Highland Park, IL 60035

Howard Metzenberg
12-10-2004, 01:35 PM
The URL for scratchboard materials on our website is

Scratchboard Art (http://www.dickblick.com/categories/scratchboardart/)
http://www.dickblick.com/categories/scratchboardart/

Howard Metzenberg
Dick Blick Art Materials
Highland Park, IL 60035

sekhmet2002
12-10-2004, 02:38 PM
Hi ya Katherine!!

I will let you know about the shipping costs, of course!!!

Chris

Diana Lee
12-10-2004, 02:55 PM
Thank you Howard, Since I get most of my supplies from Dick Blick that would be most convenient.

Diana

wet
12-10-2004, 03:10 PM
Diana this turned out beautifully!! How about a book on JUST cp and scratch board? :wink2: I am so glad it will be easily accessible in the HOF! :clap: :clap: wanda

bmac
12-10-2004, 06:37 PM
This is beautiful! :) I guess I missed the first project. What was the title? or can you post a link?
You are obviously a very talented artist! :)

Diana Lee
12-10-2004, 07:15 PM
Beth...Here is a link to the first piece.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232783

Diana

graphicdiva
12-10-2004, 07:39 PM
WOW Diana!!!
I don't know how I missed this...it is sooo amazing!!!!
Thank you so much for sharing it with us :)

daftun
12-10-2004, 09:08 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Absolutely amazing :clap: :clap:
Della.

Katherine T
03-28-2005, 07:03 AM
The name given to the current link in the Hall of Fame suggests a technical piece rather this wonderful work which has already been rated as excellent. It also does not acknowledge the artist by name.

Can I suggest that the link is maybe renamed as follows "Scratchboard and CP - Young Native American Dancer - by Diana Lee"

Katherine