PDA

View Full Version : "Golden Eyes" WIP

stalksthedawn
02-27-2004, 09:24 PM
I'm still on my big cat kick and was possesed by this ref. photo by Crias so here it is, 9" x 11.5" on black stonehenge :)

stalksthedawn
02-27-2004, 09:58 PM
As always I started with the eyes. For some reason the scanner is not picking up all the colors this time, usually it does but it looks way better in real life then on my screen.

To do the eyes, I outlined the black part and the iris with tuscan red and black, then added the white highlights. I then used jasmine, yellow ochre, goldenrod, canary yellow, sunburst yellow and yellowed orange for the basic color and added pumpkin orange, sienna brown, light umber, dark brown, marine green and dark umber for the shadowed areas. Once all that was generally blended I went back in with goldenrod and jasmine to make the eye stand out and finally touched up the highlights with white.

stalksthedawn
02-27-2004, 10:49 PM
Did the nose, tomorrow I'll tackle the mouth. Really looking forward to doing those teeth lol.

gnu
02-27-2004, 11:00 PM
oh wow, this is looking very very cool..
Is it a black panther, or is an illusion because of the paper colour so far?
Those eyes are amazing...watching closely(not in a critical way, an interested one!)
do you do the sheet of acetate trick for picking up colour when you scan..?
apparently laying a sheet down on scanner ,before your pic, does this..

Meisie
02-28-2004, 03:06 AM
Beautiful start on that lion Aleks (adult male lion gnu ;) )
I'm looking forward to see what you'll do with the fur! And thanks for all the info! Very interesting!

Meisie

criquette
02-28-2004, 07:10 AM
Your work on animals with black paper is stunning. This is going to be gorgeous. You do such beautiful and realistic work. Thank you for doing a WIP.......love seeing how you go about to achieve the results that you get. A great learning experience. :D

Cherub
02-28-2004, 07:15 AM
Wow! those eyes are just gorgeous! In spite of your scanner, too! Great work, can't wait to see the rest of it! Maybe mention some of the colours you use to get the effects? I'm all ears!

marilyn h
02-28-2004, 07:40 AM
another beauty!

kimo
02-28-2004, 04:00 PM
Holy cow - those eyes!!! And thank you for explaining how you did them too!

wet
02-28-2004, 04:48 PM
Thank you so much for the explaination on those eyes wow! You are a master with black paper! wanda

gemmag
02-28-2004, 06:39 PM
Wow Aleks! Great Eyes, I'm enjoying watching the progress on this one.
Gemma

gr8pets
02-28-2004, 08:35 PM
This is going to be great! I have had my eye on that ref photo too, and (did you notice?) if you zoom in really close on the lion's nose, you can actually see two flies "doing it"!!!!!!

Hmmm...should I even admit that I noticed that? And the biggest question...are you going to include those naughty flies on your painting? :evil:

Christi

raye51
02-28-2004, 09:31 PM
Stalks,
this is looking great, please take a work in progress pic before you start adding alot of color, I have such a problem getting my painting on black bright enough! Would enjoy seeing how you achieve such brillance in your work!
Raye

ShellyF
02-29-2004, 10:47 AM
The eyes are great! This will be yet another awesome painting :clap:

stalksthedawn
02-29-2004, 02:41 PM
Thanks everyone :)

Did the mouth, Raye, I will do more steps by steps while adding color when I start the fur. It wouild have been very difficult with the mouth.

edited to add, no I'm not drawing in the amorous flies ;)

stalksthedawn
03-06-2004, 11:03 AM
I'm sorry it's been so long everyone. I'm working two jobs right now (and that's most likely going to be permanent) so betwen that and the kids there's just no time :crying:

Ok, Raye, this is an extreme step by step since you asked for one :D It may take more than one post though as I take you through every single step lol, for a portion of fur around his mouth and nose.

pic 1, I put in the whisker spots with tuscan red and black and go over everyhting else with cream very lightly.

pic 2, I add jasmine on top of the cream

pic 3, I add yellow ochre to the darker parts of the fur

pic 4, I add goldenrod on top of the yellow ochre and throw in some sienna brown

pic 5, I add in some pumpkin orange and touches of more yellow ochre

stalksthedawn
03-06-2004, 11:08 AM
continued...

pic 6, I go over the entire thing with a colorless belnder to create and "underpainting" of sorts

pic 7..this is where it gets fun, I strat to put in the actual fur using short thin strokes, some black in the darkest parts and goldenrod in the yellows, along with burnt ochre

pic 8, I keep adding fur marks, making sure to give a nice variety of yellow and brownish shades in the dark parts

pic 9, I put in my lightest fur colors using cream and white and lighten up the whisker spots with yellow ochre as I had made them too dark

pic 10...keep going with fur marks until I feel I'm happy...and there it is :D

sorry the pics the pics are so big and I hope this helped :D

Meisie
03-06-2004, 07:11 PM
Stalks! Thank you for the detailed decriptions. I'll need to make notes!
and this needs to go in the HOF I think. I'm off to vote. :D

Meisie

ShellyF
03-06-2004, 09:11 PM
This is awesome, I love seeing how you work. I'm off to vote for this one as well. Thanks for the detailed explanations!

criquette
03-07-2004, 07:26 AM
Thank you so much for posting your WIP step by step. It really helps to see how its done on black paper especially for someone like me who has never had any art instruction and needs visual help. I also think this belongs in the HOF and I have already voted for it. You do such beautiful and lifelike work......please show us more! :clap:

kimo
03-07-2004, 10:09 AM
Thank you so much for taking the time to do this WIP! Really helps a lot to see a step by step like this. Thank you!!

jjsangel
03-07-2004, 11:28 AM
This is great. Love those eyes and the mouth. Thanks for the detail step by step. What a great WIP on black. This is going to be marvelous... Thank you

stalksthedawn
03-13-2004, 05:28 PM
Thank you for the great comments everyone and I'm glad this is helpful :)

I finally found the time to get a little more work done on him...I'm not really happy with him right now but we'll see what happens as I go along.

GenineAnn
03-13-2004, 05:50 PM
Stalks,

This is fantastic the way in which you have broken down the posts for each part of your fur technique. I finally get it now that I can actually see each individual stage with the matching pic and explanation!

I never really understood about the underpainting part of the fur technique and now I can see that it is a very important part of the base for the individual fur strokes to sit on.

Thanks for taking the time to demonstrate in this detailed manner.

stalksthedawn
03-13-2004, 06:04 PM
and here's some more usuing pretty much the same general step-by-step as above

Meisie
03-14-2004, 06:47 PM
looking good Stalks...that mane looks like a challenge!!!

Meisie

wet
03-15-2004, 09:54 AM
I can't imagine what you are not happy with! This is coming along great! He is starting to scare me!! ;) wanda