PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Screenprinting Frames

mame
12-15-2001, 06:58 AM
Someone gave me a couple of old used wood screenprinting frames that I used as "stretched canvas" for painting. Love the bounce of the stretched mesh!

Bought a few via ebay but haven't been able to find any more.

Anybody have some they want to sell or know a screenprinter who wants to get rid of some? Used is okay - even preferable.

Txs in advance for any leads.

sassybird
12-15-2001, 09:17 AM
mame,

Put a message up at the BSU printmaking class. Students often just abandon their old screens, but if they could get a little money back I am sure you would have a never ending source there:)

mame
12-15-2001, 10:30 AM
Problem there is, frames are studio property and merely used and used and re-used by the students. In my experience there, the only thing the student provides is fresh mesh. Even the inks are supplied by the studio. W/enrollment you pay a "materials fee".

Txs, though for the thought and response. Gonna post some slides of my old "student prints" one of these days now that I have this hot new scanner.

sassybird
12-15-2001, 01:17 PM
BSU students have it good!!! At SWT we paid a materials fee too, but that just covered hand cleaner, paper towels, grounds, plate cleaners and acids. We had to buy everything else, and were shown how to build our own screens for serigraph, so some students passed them on to friends when they finished the course, or abandoned them when they left. I somehow like that method more........lol I prefer to have my own supplies for my projects instead of having to scrounge through a common supply for what I want.

mame
12-15-2001, 01:51 PM
Agree, Sass. I couldn't build one to save my life. Never had to.

Intro to Printmaking at BSU a whiz-bang course to introduce students to the various methods, intaglio, stone litho, screenprinting etc. All done in one semester! Most students who get hooked then specialize or concentrate in one area. Screenprinting usually aint it - at least in my day there. The instructor was an intaglio guy. Didn't really encourage screenprinting although I think now it is given a bit more emphasis from what I've seen at student exhibits.

Funny story - I did a two-year independent study using the monotype as a vehicle to explore automatism. By the end of the 1st year I had used so much of "their" ink the instructor demanded I pay an additional fee for ink usage. Finally bit the bullet and spent food money on some of my own....

sassybird
12-16-2001, 09:20 PM
mame,

Have you checked ebay for screens? You can find some of the strangest items on there at times in the art section. It is worth a try anyway if you haven't gone that route already.

mame
12-16-2001, 09:26 PM
Did get some on ebay. Got about 12 for a really good deal but they are few and far between. Guess screenprinters are using metal screens now. Txs though.