PDA

View Full Version : Guest Speaker for Art Guild

CarlyHardy
12-15-2001, 12:44 AM
I've been invited to speak at the February meeting of the Atlanta Artists Center in Atlanta! about "The Art Market on Ebay"!

They want to know how I do it....LOL! It's really amazing that we are involved in the beginning of a whole new way of marketing art!
Will let you know how it goes.
carly

timelady
12-15-2001, 07:19 AM
Dear lordie - good luck! :) :) Congrats on the invitation, hope you can keep it positive. How do you do a talk about a market that's mainly overloaded with reproductions, has far more sellers than buyers, is based on the concept of the lowest price, and attracts bargain-hunters! heh. Not your usual art market aims at least, a challenge. Other artists keep asking me about ebay because I get so excited when I sell a painting. By the time I've finished explaining it they usually think I'm crazy! Then again, they might have thought that before I explained...

Let us know how it goes.
Tina.

kjsspot
12-15-2001, 11:51 AM
Congrats Carly!!! :clap: Can we see a copy of your speech afterwards? =)

CarlyHardy
12-15-2001, 03:09 PM
Well I'm sure it will be interesting (the experience...not my speech..LOL). I'll have every facet of interest in the audience...from "never touched a computer and ain't gonna start now" to "my website is bigger and better than yours...so tell me something I don't know!"

I think most artists are just interested in finding an outlet for their work. Some will never consider auctions online because they know what can happen with those "charity auctions" that they contribute to. Last Christmas, my offering of a 12x16 watercolor sold for $20 at our annual neighborhood Christmas auction for charity...and a tablecloth with little santas on the corner sold for over $50! I must say...that was a deflation to my ego!

Tina! you're right...when I look at all the aspects of ebaying...I have to wonder...why do we do this at all??? It's the thrill of the chase...that's what they say about fox hunting..
carly

Sumafra
12-16-2001, 02:07 AM
I have to agree here. I wonder sometimes too why I do it. It's a lot of work and I don't get much for the paintings. But, and there is a definite but, I love the excitement and the sales and the positive feedback I get from my buyers, and so far I have sold a lot of older pieces that hadn't sold anyway, so that was okay. However, whenever I try to sell something for a higher price, I don't get bids. In any event, the whole experience is rather fun and it is good for the spirit. ;)

CarlyHardy
02-19-2002, 05:16 PM
Last night I spoke to about 50 artists at the Atlanta Artist Center about my auctions on ebay. I was actually shocked to see so many folks turn out for the meeting since they knew ahead of time that I would be the speaker....and the topic!

I was right about the wide interest range...one lady told me she didn't trust computers, but that she had really enjoyed my talk. Several others told me that they were going to give it a try!

I was afraid that most of what I talked about wouldn't interest them, but the questions began as soon as I began! It seems there is a lot of interest in selling art thru auctions....but since its new to artists, they just need to know how to get started.

After an hour and fifteen minutes!! I told the group that anything else they wanted to know, they could call me about. I got a lot of thanks and some compliments...so I guess it went well!

One lady told me..."I never realized how funny you are"

well...now you know...
carly

hairballsdotcom
02-19-2002, 06:49 PM
Carly -- I wish I could have heard your speech! Sounds like you captivated your audience. Public speaking gives me the chills to even think about it, but I've done my share. That comment about 'didn't know you were so funny' was said to me a couple of times too. Something about being up in front of a crowd that just makes you want to lighten things up -- although many of my funny speaking moments were neither planned nor intentional! LOL.

I have to agree with Tina that its sometimes difficult to explain WHY eBay makes sense for an artist, and frankly does seem crazy unless you've experienced it. I sold many things on eBay before selling my art, and its the same feeling of excitement. But when its your own creativity and labor on the line the intensity is so much greater. I'm still reserving judgement as to how crazy it is to auction your art until I've sold continually for the entire year of 2002. At that time I'll have enough experience to make the call. Until then I'm just hoping I can at least break even and possibly bring new people to my website. If there's no profit in site by 2003, you can bet this artist will drop the whole idea and move on to greener pastures.

Did you give a plug for WetCanvas? Would have been a perfect oportunity!

Congrats on a job well done. :clap:

Laura Tasheiko
03-04-2002, 12:28 PM
Congratulations, Carly, on being asked to talk, on keeping the faith, and spreading it! Your encouragement motivated me to at least give it a try. And I've sold 4 prints and had two inquiries about originals in this past 2 or 3 weeks since starting. And I've had more people looking at my work in a week than would see it in a year in a local gallery! Best, L.

MarshaSavage
03-05-2002, 07:08 AM
Hi Carly!

So sorry I missed your program at the Atlanta Artist Center. My husband and I were in Florida for the Daytona 500. We had planned to leave on Tuesday so that I could go to the meeting to hear your talk, but things got changed and we left on Sunday.

I have heard from a couple of the members that you were a hit! It is inspiring to hear from some one that has pushed ahead a little on the computer -- it gives others a sense that they can do it too.

I gave a speech to the Southeastern Pastel Society on building your own web page and was shocked at how many people came to the meeting and asked questions. I thought I would put them to sleep and had no idea they would be so interested. I did give many plugs to Wet Canvas and Artist Nation. Because of this program, I have been asked to give the same one to the Dunwoody Arts Association in April. Who can figure???

Again so sorry I missed your program - I have been looking at Ebay and studying and trying to get up the nerve to place some of my smaller paintings or older paintings on there - no use in them just staying stacked in my studio!

Thanks for your inspiration! :clap:

Marsha --

Marsha Hamby Savage Art (http://marshasavage.artistnation.com)