PDA

View Full Version : China and The Race Queen

Mikey
04-01-2005, 07:44 AM
I'm needing to break free from linear thinking to see thing differently. This shows how far I've got with my ideas so far, and that is not very far at all. It seems to a bit too obvious.

The Japanese Race Queen is on the left at life size 5 foot three inches and the Chinese girl slightly farther back. If I accept this basic idea I still have the problem of composition and perspective, because I want the racing car to be fairly dominant behind the Japanese girl. At that size I wouldn't even fit the front wheel in. On the other hand I could move the car over to the Chinese side of the painting as well and make a bigger thing of the car close up, maybe even some engine parts.

Mikey

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2005/28043-race_sketch.jpg

LisaArt
04-01-2005, 08:20 AM
Mikey, this looks ever so interesting. I know what you mean by the car, but keeping it smaller as outlined in your first line original line, to me it looks good, like the car is behind her and some what further off in the distance. I think you will have an easier time with that. The car imo will still look quite dominant. Just a thought. If you extend the car larger (as in your second line I see) then it looks like it can be a problem. I really do love this idea and do want to see the both sides. The two chinese woman are well placed and everything else looks very good in perspective. This will be some project, and I cant wait to see it develop.
Anyhow, I am sure u will find the right way.....for that car! :wave: ;)

Gilberte
04-01-2005, 12:15 PM
A lesson in perspective hey Mikey ?
I'm interested.
WC member Bobbo (living in Wales) is an expert painter of racing cars, check him out if you're interested :rolleyes:

Mikey
04-01-2005, 12:39 PM
Thanks Lisa and Gilberte. Yes I've seen Bobbo's work and he is very good.

I begin the composition with the eye level and that is determined by my own preference, but also the consideration of it being six feet high or more. So I want the viewer to be comfortable with the horizon not too much below their own eye level. Looking down at the car if it is to the front will then be natural. I could put in a close up of a car and a more distant whole car with this perspective, but that might make the painting too busy. I coukld also turn the car round for a more frontal view. The perspective should be fairly easy in this one, but the sheer size makes things less so. I could work it out in Bryce 3d software first, then scale it up.

Mikey

A Few Pigments
04-01-2005, 06:00 PM
This looks like it will be a neat painting. I donít know enough to make any suggestions to help you with the composition. Good luck with it.

Mikey
04-01-2005, 06:10 PM
Thanks Bruce, I'm pressing through.

Mikey

laketrees
04-01-2005, 07:34 PM
Hi Mikey....this drawing looks very interesting.....you have certainly considered all of the technicalities with this one....I have never attempted cars so I can't help you on that but I do tend to think a larger car or part of may do justice to your racing girl....somehow I know you will work this out anyway.... :D
cheers kim

Mikey
04-02-2005, 01:53 AM
Hi Kim,

You'll understand that to have the girl life size, then the car not too far behind her is going to be massive and cars simply do not fit into spaces the size of a broom cupboard. That does mean I'll have to push it back a bit even to include the wheel. I'm not daunted by the prospect of having to actually draw it because that is only technical draughtmanship on a large scale. I am gradually bringing this together in my mind and think that it is worth taking the time to consider all the possibilties.

Mikey

Bevahlee
04-03-2005, 08:47 AM
Mikey, by making the two figures smaller, the car doesn't have to be made much bigger.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2005/54805-auto.jpg

Mikey
04-03-2005, 09:16 AM
Bev, yes I think that could work, thanks. However, I did post this on the Composition Forum and somebody pointed out what I knew that this is all a bit shall we say obvious, and could be taken to be a car advert. But then again I am known to make things too deep and nobody gets it anyway. What do you think?

Mikey

Bevahlee
04-03-2005, 04:26 PM
waaaaillll, I wouldn't take it for a car ad because it is mostly covered up with femme. Two wimmens? who's gonna look at the car? lol. :p

Mikey
04-03-2005, 04:57 PM
Right. I love cars, but frankly with two women like that you've got to know what my eyes would be on.

Mikey