PDA

View Full Version : Pastel Sampler Question

mrshoward04
03-31-2005, 02:46 PM
I am checking out Dakota Art Pastels samplers; the choices are assorted, blues, darks, and earthtones. What colors would I expect in those? Would it be best for someone painting mainly horses to go with earthtones? Or what is in the darks? Thanks

Khadres
03-31-2005, 06:49 PM
The darks usually include very very dark blues, reds, greens, earths....rich and deep tones of those. The blues would include probably a cerulean type, an ultramarine, a cobalt, etc. the usual types of blues...not sure what lightness or darkness. If you do a lot of horses, I'd say the earth tones would probably be a good bet, but the darks would be, also.

Kitty Wallis
03-31-2005, 09:20 PM
Hi MrsHoward

Have you tried calling Dakota? They are usually friendly and helpful.

mrshoward04
04-01-2005, 11:07 AM
Thanks, I am going to try that now! Oh boy now I'm stressed. Compared to what I want to be able to do . . I really stink LOL . . and I already have someone asking me to do a portrait of her 2 horses. She actually wants to pay me. . .wow. I need to find the brands that work for me ASAP! I wish there was a good art store around here so I could just go pick some up.

HarvestMoon
04-21-2005, 05:10 PM
Hi, another option (if you are doing brown horses) is to go to http://www.mountvisionpastels.com if you look at 'buy pastels here' then 'sets' at the very bottom are pictures of these 5 color range sets- I have the browns (good for horses and rocks) earthtones, greens, pinks, dark blues, light blues and I forget what else- I think there are 10 in all. They are $15 each. I have tried Dakota's pastel samplers, where I became hooked on the Mt. Visions- but only tried purple and earth tones. My earth tones had a fair amount of darker browns, although the set is now spread out so could not tell you exactly.