PDA

View Full Version : An angel watches over me

Mikey
03-30-2005, 03:24 AM
No need to tell you where I got this from, although the likeness isn't quite right. Leonardo's glazes seem to have gone to pot, so who knows what the original colours were.

Mikey

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2005/28043-angel_1.jpg

LisaArt
03-30-2005, 04:37 AM
Oh Mikey, So far I am truly amazed! Anxious to follow you on this interesting journey! :wave:

laketrees
03-30-2005, 08:29 AM
Hi Mikey....this is looking so lovely...the hair has a real dimensionality to it....and your features just keep getting stronger and stronger...looks to me as if you're getting quite the master at it.... :D
cheers kim

Esmeralinda
03-30-2005, 08:35 AM
Hi Mikey,
I can feel the "Époque" in this painting already.
Leonardo's glazes seem to have gone to pot, so who knows what the original colours were.
Not sure what you mean :confused:

Anita Murphy
03-30-2005, 08:47 AM
Mikey
as usual another wonderful painting unfolding.

Gilberte
03-30-2005, 12:26 PM
Off you went to a good start !

Mikey
03-30-2005, 03:10 PM
Thanks Lisa, I'm amazed myself. It seems I have to go through those periods of struggle, which are part of learning, then move on again.

Kim, I have known for a long time that what happens in the shadows is more important than the highlights as regards tonal painting. I am now appreciating that more and more. Bougie has taught me about doing the turns and how the shape of them affects the structure.

Hi Linda, I've checked the UK National Gallery photo since they have the original painting. It is still very much monochromatic in the flesh tones with brown and yellows. The gold lining of the Madonna's cloak seems to be quite intense, although I wouldn't know if it has been restored. But historically I'm looking for red under the blue and that would have been symbolically important to the Renaissance painters. This causes me to think that Leonardo used a fugitive Carmine or crimson for glazing.

I am tempted to leave this one as monochrome, but it would be interesting to think what Leonardo's original colours might have been. The Azurite (replaced by Manganese or Prussian Blues) and Ultramarine seem to be holding up quite well. Maybe the National Gallery would help me. It's of historical interest at least.

Thanks KA, although I'm not sure where to take this one.

Hi Gilberte, thanks for your encouragement. Let's see what I can make of it.

BTW, you'll appreciate that this is a poor flash photo.

Mikey

Mikey
04-02-2005, 03:59 AM
I preferred it as it was. Leonardo's colours are getting me a bit perplexed, since I want to see actual flesh colours. I'll add some more contrast and try to improve the face. I'm not particularly interested in his method as far as this painting goes since it will not be the way I intend to go.

Mikey

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2005/28043-angel_2.jpg

Mikey
04-02-2005, 05:52 AM
That left eye (the angels) is still wrong and it way off Leonardo, but personally I'm not too displeased with it, although in some ways I prefer the first stage you see here.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2005/28043-angel_3.jpg

laketrees
04-02-2005, 06:22 AM
Hi Mikey....this is really looking good ......the lighting on the face is glowing....I like the detail in her hair...very effective...
cheers kim

Mikey
04-02-2005, 11:06 AM
Thanks Kim. I'm not sure I can do anything more to the face now.

Mikey

Gilberte
04-02-2005, 01:28 PM
Could it be the difference of the two eyelids that disturb me instead of the left eye itself ? :wink2:

Mikey
04-02-2005, 03:37 PM
Hi Gilberte, thanks for mentioning it. Coming to think of it both eyes are wrong. I was using size 10 and 14 filberts brushes with worn out points. My small rounds are splayed out.

Mikey