PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble Mar 28 Thru April 3

K Taylor-Green
03-28-2005, 12:38 PM
Good morning! And welcome to our weekly chat thread. Come on in and visit.
Tell us about your family, job, kids, and pets.

Well, I hope everyone had a nice Easter that celebrates it. Ours was very pleasent, a very large gathering at my in-laws, with way too much to eat.
Then last night the rain came........and came.......and, well you get the picture. There are matching lakes in the lower front field, and the side field
beyond my flower gardens. Not too chilly, just humid and damp.......imagine
that! :eek:

Back in a bit with new puppy pics. I need to resize.

Kristrotter
03-28-2005, 01:01 PM
Can't wait to see those puppies Kate! Sounds like you guys had a nice Easter weekend. We had a great one as well. My parents came over for dinner and we also had plenty to eat!

I mentioned last week that I was getting a motorcycle and Friday we went to a school parking lot so that I could practice on it. My husband has a Harley and now I have little Suzuki, but we went with some friends of ours and we had a blast just practicing--we learned so much! My hubby is a wonderful and very patient teacher.

My little boys are enjoying being home together today. They have just been playing with some of their Easter presents.

I still didn't get to paint any over the weekend, but I am planning to make it a priority this week because I am at that point where I am going to paint or burst!

You guys have a great day! :wave:

K Taylor-Green
03-28-2005, 01:17 PM
Puppy Up-Date! I had Jess bring two of the little squirmers into the house for a photo op. Blondie, of course, and one of the chocolates. They pretty much all look alike!

Deborah Secor
03-28-2005, 01:17 PM
Just want to let you all know I'll be fairly scarce for a while. I'm having some real back problems and can't work at the keyboard comfortably. I have an article due this week so I have to put in the time doing that instead.

I'll try to at least lurk a bit. :wave:

Be blessed....

Deborah

Mikki Petersen
03-28-2005, 02:12 PM
Deborah, I'm sorry you are having back problems...they are the worst. Sending healthy vibes your way...}}}}}}}}}}}}

Kate, they are so adorable! Still little bundles of joy. Hard to believe they are going to turn into little dervishes in a very short time. Thanks for sharing the photos. Blondie just grabs at my heart.

Kristi, so glad you are having fun on your motorcycle. My son bought his for economical transportation but also because he wants to join one of those touring clubs. We often think how nice it would be to ride cycles through our woods but our quads do just fine for exploring. Be safe!

We had a quiet Easter at home without company. John finally consented to sit down and watch "Finding Neverland" with me. What an extraordinary movie! We were both bawling by the end of it. Good, good film.

The kitchen cabinets look really good, like new. We used a Formsby Furniture Restorer kit and they came out amazingly well. The prior owners had painted a color swatch on a quarter of one cabinet door,,,thought we would have to strip it. My daughter who works in Orchard Supply paint department recommended a product called OOPS! Amazing stuff! Took off the latex paint like it was just more dirt, Hardly any elbow grease involved and certainly easier than stripper. Apparently the stuff will take paint out of clothing also. Hubby has hardly a garment that does not have paint stains somewhere...gonna give this a try.

Today, we are tackling the hardwood floors. We are split on this one. John wants a high gloss shine but I like the rich patina of the dulled down finish. Mostly I'm terrified of getting them slick with my tendency to fall down anyway.

Won't get much painting done this week with company coming. But it should be a good week.

Yesterday afternoon we went down the hill to do some shopping. Coming home, it began to torrentially rain and thunder and lightning. It was predicted...red on the doppler! Driving home, we crested the hill and lightning struck right in front of our car! I mean right in front of us...horizontally in front of the windshield. Blinded me so I had to pull over until my vision recovered and I stopped shaking. It was a wild and wooly storm all night long.

Happy painting!
Mikki

Khadres
03-28-2005, 04:11 PM
wow, Mikki! I love a good thunderstorm (as long as the wind isn't driving it at the front of the house...in which case it's apt to flood the window wells of Mel's room...wet carpet is the pits.) We didn't get anything but another couple inches of wet snow...seems like we are still either too far north or too far south with every storm.

Those puppies or adorable! I LOVE that chocolate one! But NO...no more...we're at our city limit already! Dang!

Kristi, glad you're back to your art! Sounds as if you've been through a lot and I'll just bet it's making your new art all the richer. Don't worry about age...I'm 60 too...I sometimes think being a bit older is a help rather than otherwise...at least we don't have a whole "career" plan to make. It's kinda of funny...you get along in years a bit and folks seem to be impressed by the fact that you can still tie your shoes so that when you actually produce a decent piece of art, they're really blown away by the marvel of it! There's also something to be said for the idea that if we try something really chancey or bizarre...others will accept it quicker, too. "Well, she's getting on a bit, you know...there's no TELLING what she'll do next!" :D

Oops, almost forgot...we had a quiet, laid-back Easter, too, and while my best buddy Martin was over for dinner, he made me a custom-made sketch book by hand! It's gorgeous...about 9X12 with leaves of Stonehenge paper in three shades and covers of two shades of brown suede-like fabric. He made it with a "floating" spine so it opens flat too, so drawing in it will be heaven! He's going to make me another one of Arch's Text Wove paper. It's always nice when friends take useful classes, isn't it? :cool:

Piper Ballou
03-28-2005, 05:32 PM
Happy Spring,

I can now say we are offically on spring break because it is Monday. We are trying to keep our plans very loose this week, have a few things that "have" to be done but mostly want to relax, watch some movies and paint. Notice I did not say anything about spring cleaning.... :evil:
figure I will get in the mood to clean a little later in the week.

Kate- I have a yellow lab too, and love your puppies, fun to watch them grow.

Kristie- There is a Harley Run every April about 35 miles from here in Laughlin, Nev, it is fun to watch, good luck on your bike.

Deborah- hope your back heals quickly

Mikki-your lightening story sent chills up my back, glad you had the sense to pull over
we were almost rear-ended on Saturday stopping at red light but the truck pulling a trailer swung into the next lane and went around us through the red-light....think this morning it finally hit me, there could have been a horrible accident and for some reason it did not happen. Let me tell you, I am grateful and humble today.

Snooz- I always enjoying reading your posts...hope you have a wonderful week

Guess I will be checking in and writing more this week.... :D
Piper

meowmeow
03-28-2005, 06:19 PM
SOunds like you all sent the rain to us....gee...thanks! But it is supposed to be better later in the week.

Deborah! I am sorry about your back...do take care of it. Yes...those lousy backs are lousy! You can lurk....we'll know you are here! :D

The puppies are sooooo adorable...I just want to hold one and snuggle it! I know they grow so fast! I'm glad you are getting some nice pix now.

Mikki, your kitchen sounds terrific...sounds like you and your husband work well together on projects. My hubby and I have a good time working on stuff like that. You'll have to post some photos when you get done. And yes, they have some great new products. I remember what you used to have to do to strip old paint...yuck...what a mess and what work!

Kris, you enjoy that new motorcycle...and take care!!!!!

Piper, enjoy your week off! Take it easy and relax...get ready for when you go back!

My husband's office is moving this week so I will be oging in to help them pack whenever I have some time during the week. It is all pretty exciting..it is just next door but a lot of work and it should be much better. It's less space but much better space...they have accumulated so much excess junk over the many years they have been in the old place...they have been throwing out so much stuff it's amazing. Hopefully it will all come together smoothly but I'm sure there will be glitches. Keep your fingers crossed!

Well, everyone have a good week!

Sandy

Lisalovestopaint
03-28-2005, 06:56 PM
:wave: Hi, this Lisa Olivarez, we are offline at home now, so I no longer had access to WetCanvas. Found out about the free hotmail email addresses and re-registered. Now I can pop in from time to timehere at teh Library. I've been lurking off and on...You are all doing great work!

Lisa

Lisalovestopaint
03-28-2005, 07:02 PM
Deborah, I just recovered from back problems. It's so hard but, rest looooooots. Can you do that? My husband bought me some Neocolor water pastels, I could use those while flat on my back or on my side. Praying that you heal quickly, Lisa Olivarez

K Taylor-Green
03-29-2005, 12:11 AM
Lisa, Good to see you. It's been awhile!

Mikki, Too, too close. I think i would have wet myself!!! How scary!

Dee, I know you've heard it, but take care. Been there, done that, but with rest, it is now fine.

Sandy, Happy organizing! it's what women do best! :D

Kristy, Happy riding!

Piper, Happy break! Mine is over. :(

More photos, but not puppies. My youngest daughter was in a friend's wedding over the week-end, and while the bride was very beautiful, I'm partial to my baby. Here she is, a pregnant Matron of Honor. Her little boy is due in a little over 2 monthes.

khourianya
03-29-2005, 12:49 AM
Well, one 8 hour car trip later...we are home safe and sound. It was perfect driving weather to regina (both ways) and Abner was a doll from the moment we left until the moment we arrived back in Calgary. He loooves cam's mom and she treated him just like a real grandchild the whole weekend. It was quite sweet. Now that we are home, he is trying to be a real hellion. Kate, can I trade you our little baby for one of your little babies until he outgrows this stage? He's half chocolate lab so he should fit in with the others just fine..... :D

Well I am off to perform some first aid on my face now. A few years ago I went through some heavy treatment for severe cystic acne and I was cyst free for a good 6 years. This weekend, I have devloped a straight line of 5 cysts across my forehead (Cam and i have been calling it my royal crown for days). Anyway - it is so painful so I am going to try to combat it as best I can at home. I recently changed my diet and I have a feeling it has been a contributing factor. At any rate - I hope i can combat it well enough on my own. I would not look forward to another course of treatment with Accutane.

Happy belated Easter! And if you guys haven't had a chance yet, check out the piece by piece project. i have been posting updates as pieces are finished and it is amazing how close to the original we are getting! The april project starts friday and this month's participants have to wait 5 days before signing up - maybe we could see a few new faces in there for april.... :D

angecald
03-29-2005, 01:18 AM
Kate, your daughter hardly looks pregnant at all in these pictures! You are certainly a family of beautiful ladies.

Deb, sorry about your back. Take good care of yourself. Of course it always happens at the busiest times.

Kristie, I'm so impressed that you're learning to ride a motorcycle! My husband owned twelve vintage motorcycles when I met him, and nothing would have thrilled him more than to have me learn to ride, but I just couldn't drum up any enthusiasm. I'm glad to see it's a joyful experience for you.

Mikki, you must be so proud of yourself for getting those cabinets done. I'm making a note of that "Oops" stuff. Whenever I paint, it gets everywhere. That lightning bolt story is amazing. Just imagine if you had been two seconds earlier getting on the road!

Sooz, what a great gift a handmade sketchbook would be. I've noticed a lot of people trying bookbinding these days and I'd love to try it myself.

Sandy, you certainly have a full life. Moving a whole office!

Lisa, nice to hear from you. And Piper, I hope you enjoy your time off.

Easter was a beautiful day here, and our celebration was quiet but satisfying. My husband's poor health has kept us away from church for a few months, and it felt great to be back in the community again.

My daughter and I went to Ottawa today to visit my dear Aunt Margie, who is in a palliative care facility. This has all happened very fast. She's 83, but has had no serious health problems up until now. Only about a week ago my sister told me Margie was in the hospital and no one knew what was wrong. On Saturday she called again to say it's cancer and she's already been moved to palliative care. Turns out she knew for some time that she had a lump, but chose to ignore it, and now it's in the bone marrow and liver. She's not forgetful, confused, or stupid. She's seen her husband and other relatives die of cancer and she simply chose not to fight it. We had a wonderful visit. When my daughter was born, 22 years ago, she told me she would be the baby's grandmother, as both my mother and Richard's were already gone. At that point Margie had no grandchildren of her own, because her own 3 children were all born late in her life, and they had not yet started their families. Since then they've given her 3 beautiful grandchildren, but it never changed her attitude to my Alex or my sister's boy, Geoff. Today, Margie looked at Alex and said, "Always remember, dear, that your grandmother was always very, very proud of you." Then she blinked and asked, "Am I your grandmother?" She had actually forgotten that she's really her great-aunt.

I hope you all don't find this story a downer. It's too important for me to keep it to myself. I wish all my loved ones could live forever, but knowing that my aunt has to go, it really helps me to know that she's serene and fearless and absolutely at peace as she waits for the end.

Khadres
03-29-2005, 08:22 AM
Agnes, isn't it wonderful that your aunt has been strong enough and together enough to choose her own path in this? She sounds like a wonderful lady and her decision should be just that...hers. It's so hard to lose loved ones, but one of the most important things we can do for them is to support them at the end, no matter the situation. It always saddens me how many elderly sit alone and virtually abandoned during the closing years of their lives.

Mikki, hope the back's improving now that the heavy work's done around the house.

Kate, you have a lovely expectant mommy daughter there!

Piper, speaking of movies, have you seen The Notebook yet? Neat love story.

Cori, I'll get on that puzzle piece today with any luck at all!

meowmeow
03-29-2005, 08:56 AM
Agnes, that's a beautiful story! It is sad that she is not well but I can understand her choice and it sounds llike you had a wonderful visit with her. Hugs to all of you!!!

Cori your trip sounds like it went really well...good luck with your "procedure"...that all sounds like not fun at all!

Beautiful pictures, Kate! Yes, your blooming daughter looks fabulous! Puppies! Babies! Boy, are you ever busy!!! :D

Hi Lisa!! Nice to see you here!

Well, the rain has finally stopped and the sun is supposed to be coming out later...the rest of the week should be nice. I hope!!!

Back to pack some more stuff at the office this morning...what a mess things are. There are tubs everywhere. And they have to keep things straight because it is business as usual. By the way, it is an agency that provides home care for elderly and disabled people....so there really cannot be days when the business is closed. The supervisors have to be able to get their hands on the files when they need them. They stuff is in the computers but there is tons on paper backing everything up. My son in law is coming down early Saturday morning to move the computers over and have them set up and ready for work on Monday morning. Busy...busy...busy! :D

Have a good day!

Sandy

Kathryn Day
03-29-2005, 10:45 PM
Hi all! I am back. Actually got back yesterday, but with unpacking, etc, etc. didn't get a chance to log on. We had a wonderful vacation in Kauai, Hawaii with my Daughter, son-in-law, and 8 grandkids (his and hers). They rented a house on the beach. Here are a couple of pictures of the 450 that I took. The whole family at the luau, looking at the beach from the house and a flower, sorry I don't have the name of it. I will upload pictures to the RIL as soon as I have a chance, got lots of beach scenes, flowers, dolphins, even the top of a whale that was surfacing. They are all high resolution. The colors there are amazing, every green you could imagine. The ocean lots of different blues, turquoise. Mikki, you were right, I didn't have time for a plein air, although my daughter and I did paint a red hibiscus, she took the paintings,so will have to wait for a picture of that.

bogbeast
03-30-2005, 01:30 AM
Hi, y'all!
Yes, I'm still alive, just don't have much chance to visit lately. My computer is no longer dead but remains severely disabled--plus Miss O is growing so fast that my partner strained her back big-time lifting her, so I'm doing most everything for a few days until she can move again! (Dee, you have my whole-hearted sympathy! Heat, ice and Tiger Balm!)

Olivia is still the center of my day. She is finally smiling and sociable, not a moment too soon! and just started reaching and batting at things a bit, so playtime promises to become lots more fun. There's a limit to how much of the day I can spend trying to make faces and dream up new sound effects to draw out those precious, fleeting smiles! I don't remember development being so glacial when my son was young, but she is right on track--I guess I'm just lacking patience! Although I could sit and snuggle her all day.....

so here are a couple photos--we've yet to get a smile as the digital cameras take too long focussing!

Also, I really am planning to get back to pastels asap, and have signed up for Kitty's Color Intensive workshop in Santa Cruz come June! I'm excited, but feeling a lot of performance anxiety, too, especially since I'm finding so little time to paint. I am starting another thread for this, but is anyone out there planning to go? I'm hoping to share transportation or hotel costs if I can, as Melissa will be staying home with the Baby :crying:

Shalom to all!

meowmeow
03-30-2005, 08:05 AM
Welcome back Kathy! THe trip sounds fabulous...the photos prove the point!

Welcome back to you too, Libby! SOunds like you are rejoining the living slowly. Olivia looks like she is thriving quite nicely! Glad to see you have signed up for a workshop.

Sandy

K Taylor-Green
03-30-2005, 12:53 PM
Awww, Libby, what a beautiful baby!! She's grown soooo much!

Kathy, Welcome back!! Gorgeous pics. What a crew!!

Cori, Abner sounds like the typical adolescent! Thank goodness I'm sell pups, and other people get to deal with that. Our Remy was our hard headed teen. He is three now, and a wonderful gun dog. Course, he's the daddy of this litter. Not a teen anymore!!

khourianya
03-30-2005, 04:23 PM
Great - the terrible teens and he's not even 4 months yet! :D Oh well, he is a really smart little guy and is picking up on his training fairly well (unless he is feeling like a stubborn bassett, in which case we don'texist and our commands are useless).

When we were in Regina, we tried really hard to get him to know that if he scratches on the door, we will open the door. Well, last night we were in Cam's office and he started to paw at the bunny cage door to see if I would open it for him. Too funny.

Khadres
03-30-2005, 06:29 PM
Wow, Kathy, that's some family! Whoo! Keepin' up with birthday cards alone must be a job and a half! They all look great tho and looks like you had lots of fun! Glad your trip was a good one and I can't wait to see more photos!

Libby, that baby is gorgeous and I wish I could wear my hair like yours!

Cori, the middle six months of a dog's first year seems to be the worst for delinquency. That's when they chew down to house, get into the trash, forget themselves and puddle the floor, and discover how much fun it is to play with the toilet paper roll. It can try our patience no end, but it's also a delightful time to watch them try out their world...you can almost see the mental wheels turning, trying to figure things out. It's also the time when they're in need of lots of love and forgiveness. They don't really intend to destroy the rug or the furniture or your shoe...it was just so interesting that they couldn't resist! He'll learn fast now even though he seems a total air head at times. Give him a pat for me and we need updated pics, too!

khourianya
03-30-2005, 06:32 PM
:D I'll try to post some tonight. He's HUGE now! 30+lbs and growing. I think I have a great one of him grinning and his tongue lolling out of his mouth! Guaranteed to brighten the dreariest day!

Valerie W
03-30-2005, 10:43 PM
Hi all.
I'm back from our trip to Houston and the land is going up for resale. It was in a high risk area from flooding if a hurricane hits!!!!! It was nice to see all the flowers blooming and the trees in leaf however there is no place like home.
Agnes, my father (81) has cancer stage 4 in his stomach and 2 spots in his lungs. He has oped to go through cemo and radiation tho he is well aware of the chances of success. It is very importent for us children to respect his wishes too. My younger brother is into alternative medicine and is very pushy on the subject. Dad and I spent the last few months at home looking after my mother 1 1/2 years ago while she was dying of breast cancer so we know what to expect.
I hope to get back to my painting tomorrow. I purchased a half set of 40 Sennelier and some Kitty Wallis paper.
Val

khourianya
03-30-2005, 11:20 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2005/47843-abner14wks.jpg

As promised...Abner at 14 weeks...no lolling tongue, but it's recent - taken this weekend in Regina.

Khadres
03-30-2005, 11:54 PM
Val, sorry to hear the land wasn't quite what you'd hoped, but better to know it now than later after the next big storm! Sorry also about your father...this has got to be a hard time for your family. I'll be thinking of y'all and hoping...

Cori, that pooch's feet are HUGE still which means.....uhmmmm...what's the usual weight of a basset anyway? I'm envisioning a very short legged horse here! He's adorable tho...that expression usually means, "Yes, I probably did something naughty without knowing it again, but I'm sorry!" He's a sweetie for sure!

khourianya
03-31-2005, 12:10 AM
lol..His paws are almost as big as my cat's head! It is hilarious to see him trying to play the same way a declawed cat does.

Cat: *smack, smack, smack - across the nose*
Dog: *fwump, fwump, fwump across the head*

We are anticipating he'll reach 80 lbs being the cross that he is. This picture was taken at gramma's house where he was an angel the entire time...but maybe he was thinking ahead to when he would be home again...

Here's another of him being cute in the car...his eyes get me everytime...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2005/47843-abbercar.jpg

Khadres
03-31-2005, 02:35 AM
Yep! The old puppy dog eyes gambit for sure! Glad you're having such fun with your new critter! Young ones are always fun.

E-J
03-31-2005, 09:31 AM
Agnes, thank you very much for sharing your aunt's story with us.

bnoonan
03-31-2005, 12:20 PM
Well a quick greeting of hello and well wishes to all around!

I've tried to catch up periodically to see how everyone is and I have to say a picture is worth a thousand words...

Libby - how cute is that little baby? Wow - what a gorgeous little one and she fits perfectly in your arms!!!

Dee - rest that back and/or follow the doctor's orders. I'm a firm believer in exercise helping it after a certain point but I defer to the experts. And don't worry about getting on the computer to say hello!

Kate - sweet as punch are those little pups... what a handful they are going to be!

Cori - love that look and those eyes.... what a dear heart. Oh and take care of your medical state - I'm sure diet will be a good cure - or at least a good start on things.

Agnes, my heart goes out to you on the aging family stuff. You are good to be so available to them. I wish my family lived closer so I could be as helpful as you.

Sooz - congratulations on the new sketchbook. Does this mean we'll see some more postings??? hint hint...

Hi Mikki - waving at you from the Bay! That lightening strike would have scared the life out of me. Glad you are ok and I'm going to assume that knee is healing and/or healed.

Piper - glad to see you have weighed the important items and are putting spring cleaning at the bottom of the list. I have to say Paint and play are as important as most everything on Vacation!!!

Kate - lovely family and oh how envious I am of your trip to the islands. What a spectacular environment to be in - warm breezes, tropical scents and beaches. Yum!~!!

Kristi - some friends just got a bike - oh wait - they call it their "scooter" - it's big and comfortable and they too are finding the joys of the freedom and lower gas prices on this vehicle. Have fun and take it easy. Oh - they both did motorcycle training classes and really learned a lot.

Lisa - nice to meet you and don't underestimate the power of library visits for internet access. I love any reason to go to the library!!!

As for me... gearing up for Open Studios in May and also trying to figure out the best way not to lock myself out of the art studio with 2 French Bull dogs on my walk... hmm... Yes - let's just say yesterday was an interesting day.

May the days be filled with pastel dust and spring weather. We're in the midst of another gorgeous day here and it's inspiring!

Barb

bnoonan
03-31-2005, 12:22 PM
EJ - sorry - totally missed you. Can I just say I can't pass a bouquet of lilies without thinking of you and your fabulous artwork. Right now the scent of some very strong lilies is wafting up from the lobby of our apt. building to the 3rd floor. Good stuff!!!

B

bnoonan
04-01-2005, 11:06 AM
Was it something I said???? :confused: :)

Ok - maybe no one is chatting today... guess I'll just go back to my studio.

Barb

E-J
04-01-2005, 11:17 AM
Hey Barb :wave: I guess they're all too busy painting, eh ;)

Not getting too much pastelling done today ... I'm slightly distracted by the arrival of my new mp3 player!! Having some fun downloading tracks I haven't heard in ages.

Have a fun weekend, all.

khourianya
04-01-2005, 11:23 AM
Likely just a lull... :)

Well, we took Abner in to the vet last night for his first check up since we brought him home. He's in perfect health. The doc kept saying "He looks like a wanderer. he looks like a wanderer." and then he'd give him another shot. I remember saying to cam as we walked over "I figure this will be a hundred dollar visit" and then walked out of the clinic $200 poorer. Oh well - I'd rather everything be up to date and that he be healthy.

Now I will have to come up with some crazy money-making scheme so I can treat myself to art supplies this weekend :D

K Taylor-Green
04-01-2005, 12:25 PM
Whew, Cori, I thought vets here were expensive. Most of our yearly chec-ups are half that. It's the emergencys that really cost. But there as well, I expect.

The pups are playing more now, rolling and growling at each other. They sound so fierce! Yesterday, I sat in front of their sleeping box and called, "Here, puppy, puppy, puppy," and one intrepid male came trotting over, weaving and stumbling, in that adorable new puppy walk. Now, if only I knew which one he was today. All the chocolates look alike!!
This week, they will be leaving the box to explore their kennel. Jess has 40 feet of close woven wire fencing to place all around the bottom of the main kennel fence, so puppys cannot be running all over the farm! This is our first litter of pups in a little over 4 years, so the kennel has been set up for grown dogs only. I'll take more pics this week-end.

Hi Barb! :wave: Good to see you!

I'm off to paint, then, this evening, I'm going to my sister's for Girl's Night Out!
For us, this consists of setting in her hot tub, under the stars, drinking good white wine, and venting and laughing, Beats a shrink, and cheaper too!!

khourianya
04-01-2005, 12:48 PM
Whew, Cori, I thought vets here were expensive. Most of our yearly chec-ups are half that. It's the emergencys that really cost. But there as well, I expect.

I imagine it will be cheaper next year. And I'm definitely not complaining, because the vet figured Ab is older than we think he is (because he has already lost 2 teeth) and said these would be his last set of puppy shots (they are only his second set - we were expecting to have 2 more after this). But every little thing adds up. Deworming, 4 shots and a thorough check up. We will have him neutered in June and that will be it, hopefully, for vet visits this year.

Emergencies are definitely costly here too. Ziggy (my cat) ended up with a hernia at the spay site about a year after she was spayed. I called the vet to see how much the emergency would cost me and it was going to be a good $200 more than if I just booked a check up appointment for the next day and had it checked then. Suffice it to say - I went for the next day check up. I love her, but I am not wealthy.

Piper Ballou
04-01-2005, 01:10 PM
Pets are always a little more expenses then one plans. My husband had his cat for 18 years, had to put him down a couple of years ago and it just broke his heart. He was getting really old and my daughter said that the cat from the movie-Pet Cemetary that came back from the dead looked better then this cat. I never bonded with that cat, do not think the cat liked me at all. I would wake up at night and the cat would be sitting on my hip just to freak me out. But, my husband loved that blasted cat and that is all that mattered.

Well, it is Friday. Actually doing a little cleaning everyday, going to have a friend over tomorrow so I will finally have to get to it and get everything done. Figure I have 8 more weeks of school so not much will get done until then.
Hope everyone is having a good Friday. Don't forget to turn your clocks ahead Saturday night. Here in Arizona we stay the same..I always tell everyone we are on 'natural time"...it would be nice to not worry about time at all.
Piper

Deborah Secor
04-01-2005, 01:24 PM
Thanks for everyone's thoughts and prayers for my back. :D You're all :angel: ! The doc thinks it's all muscle, not disc related--thank God!! So I'm on flexeril at night and massive ibuprofen, plus (the BEST part) he ordered my husband to give me back rubs! Whoo! My hubby is great and has been rubbing away. It's marginally improving. The idea is to rest, let it heal, and then start moving and manipulating that muscle. Sooooo, if it gets significantly better in the next two weeks we'll know the doc is right.

I finished the writing for the article--now on to the illustrations. That's always the fun part for me!

I've kept up with all of you here but my brain is pea soup right now. I was up all night last night with a sick kid. Yep--he may be 18 but he becomes a little boy when he's sick. I think it was food poisoning so I'll skip all the icky details. You get the picture, I'm sure. I was up from 11:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. with him. I need to go back and get some sleep. It seems never to let up around here, you know? :confused:

Cori, I don't know the exchange rate from Canadian to American dollars, but that vet sounds pricey to me! We have a country vet with country prices, though. I remember taking my George in for shots and a check-up, which included cleaning his teeth and taking a littly polyp off his gums, and the whole thing was $40. That was only 2 years ago. Your Abner is a DOLL!!! That look..."who, me? I'm good. I love you..."

Oh and Kate, the pups are wunnerful! I want one!

Kathy, love the Hawaii pix!

Hi Barb... :wave:

Libby, gorgeous child there.

Lisa--HI! Missed you around here. Thanks for your prayers.

<muddled brain not tracking on everyone as well as I would like>

Anyway, I'm off to dreamland.

Deborah

khourianya
04-01-2005, 01:58 PM
ok that's it...I'm moving to the states! Exchange has been decent lately and we aren't too terribly far off anymore so I can justify the moving expenses by considerinng the savings on vet bills! :evil: That and the MUCH lower shipping charges from Dakota if I am located south of the 49th.

I'm glad to hear your back is doing better, Deborah. And the prescribed backrubs...you should have the doctor specify that they are to continue on as preventative treatment after you are healed.... :evil:

K Taylor-Green
04-01-2005, 03:49 PM
Aww, our critters, you gotta love them, vet bills and all.

Almost forgot that today was horse worming day. But Jess found an easier solution to that. Usually, this requires placing the tip of the tube in the horse's mouth, near the back, and pushing the plunger. You hope most of the medicine goes in their mouth, but sometimes it gets smeared on faces, eyes, chests, people. Then they roll it around on their tongues and some of it dribbles out. Makes you wonder if they are getting all they need. We bought
Equi-Bits. You mix it with their grain. How easy is that?? Sure beats puttin the Arab in a headlock! Now, all I have to worry about is the pecking order thing, so that everyone gets the proper dosage. oh well, there is always something in the world of horses.

Now I can go paint!

meowmeow
04-01-2005, 07:21 PM
Just popping in briefly...we've spent the last two days working for about 10 hours straight moving hubby's office...tomorrow is the end of it for now. They are basically moved and a lot has been unpacked and set up. It's looking good so far.

Cori, if you move to the US to save on vet bills you better move next to Deborah and go to her vet. Our prices are pretty much like yours. Maybe a tad less for a first round of shots, but still above $150. My poor son has a 15 month old lab who has been having problems. Turns out he has a congenital knee problem is just had surgery on one leg...I don't even want to tell you how much it was! Suffice it to say the part of the tax refund hubby and I just got is going to help him out. He didn't ask for it but we were horrified at how much it was and figure since we can afford to help him out we will. He'll still be paying a pretty penny out of his own pocket. It seems ridiculous but if he didn't do it he might as welll have had the dog put down and he wasn;t about to do that. The dog is a sweetie!

Have a good weekend everyone!

Sandy

khourianya
04-01-2005, 08:42 PM
I don't think I could leave Canada anyway...it's been my home for 28 years!... :D

You guys should definitely check out the painitng Barb did of Abner from one of the pics I posted in here this week. it is awesome!

Oh and if any of you wanted to sign up for the piece by piece project, the April project is now up and going. If you were in last month sproject, you have to wait til Tuesday, but if you missed out - there are plenty of spots just waiting to be filled!

khourianya
04-03-2005, 01:21 AM
Oh my what a crazy day. I am on call all weekend and from the time I turned on the phone, until just before 4pm, it would not stop ringing! I took close to 20 calls! Normally, on a Saturday, I would have maybe taken 1 or 2. I had intended to attend a show that Lorna Hannett (lorna12) was in today, but could barely leave my office without the phone ringing again so had to miss it. Quite disapponting.

It always throws me for a loop when I get an unusually high volume of calls like this. I hope tomorrow is quieter. I need to spend some time at the easel.

Khadres
04-03-2005, 03:40 AM
What a lovely way to spend your "day off"! Here's hoping tomorrow's much better. I had hoped to paint some today, too. I think I'm flirting with bronchitis again...lots of sleep apnea lately and scratchy windpipe so that I'm exhausted most of the time even tho I spend WAY too many hours TRYING to get some good rest. Today was a little better, but I spent most of it catching up on zzzzzzzzz's! This is a touchy time of year for me anyway...spring and fall seem to be when my defenses go somewhere on holiday, I think. Anyway, I'm hoping tomorrow will be better...still have some postcards to get done!

Sherry Richardson
04-03-2005, 03:54 PM
Morning all. Work and home have kept me very busy the past few weeks, but I have still managed to check in and lurk a little each day. Also, my beloved pastels have been packed away for the next few months, and I have been forced to rely on the 'lesser media.'

I couldn't miss Dania's birthday though. I'm sure you'll join me in saying:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DANIA! (muffin4377)

Thanks for all your great stories.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2005/55161-Cake_12-04.jpg

khourianya
04-03-2005, 05:34 PM
Sherry! I am so happy to see you in here again! :D I was wondering where you'd been! Sad to hear the pastels are packed away for a bit! Oh well, the lesser media can still be fun!

Khadres
04-03-2005, 09:03 PM
Happy Birthday, Dania!!!

And many moooooooooooooooooooooooore....!