View Full Version : Basic 101: Class 16 - Material Folds

Pages : [1] 2

JayD
03-27-2005, 11:25 PM
Basic 101:/Class 16—FOLDS

Or

Ya Gotta know How to Fold ‘em

Intro

One-day man stood erect and threw a bone in the air as he reached for the sky realizing that he was now free of the shackles of the uncivilized animal. Coincidently, this was the same day the man discovered the as of yet unnamed force called “gravity”—he discovered and felt gravity as the bone fell back unceremoniously to the earth striking the naked and erect standing man on the top of his head. This was also the moment of great revelation as man discovered that everyone around him was naked! Thus was born the term “bone of contention”. Man, now full of knowledge and a splitting headache began to take notice of the world around him—more pointedly that he and the rest of his tribe, both male and female were nude, wore no clothes!. He looked over at his mate, her beautiful hairy face, firm supple breasts and man was pleased. This world was indeed a man’s paradise. Then he noticed his large and also naked lodge buddy and fellow mastodon hunter—let’s call him Ralf—also staring admiringly at his mate and thus was born the world’s first fashion designer because—something had to be DONE and with the invention of clothes came the search for fabric—he found quickly that turtle shells did not work—nor did sea sponges or porcupine pelts. Instead, he settled for fur and found that he could beat skin and create leather and from the fibers of various plants, he created cloth—and man discovered folds—and he was pleased—because he thought that he had invented it—which he had not…

Welcome to the class on folds. There seven important words to remember when talking about folds they are:

1. Pipe

2. zig zag

3. Spiral

4. diaper

5. Half-lock

6. drop

7. inert

Learn what these are and what they look like and you WILL know how folds are formed and how to apply them to your everyday drawings. Fold are found in draperies, in clithes , in ANYHTING that is cloth—but folds can also be found in paper and even in skin—look at our friend the elephant or look at some of the elderly and see if you can identify any of the folds listed above. You will be surprised because you will.

Here is a basic rule to learn—DRAPERY ITSELF HAS NO FORM OR SHAPE—INSTEAD ITS FORM OR SHAPE IS ENTIRELY DICTATED BY THE SPACE UPON WHICH ITS RESTS BE IT A CHAIR, A BOX OR THE HUMAN BODY. FOLDS ARE A RESULT OF ACTION AND REACTION.

If you come out of the shower and you have a towel wrapped around your body, the towel conforms your specific body type. If you remove the towel and toss it on the chair, the towel will give up the shape of your body and react to the shape of the chair and if you just drop the towel to the floor, the towel will conform to the specifics of that floor. Folds are that simple.

Here are some definitions and an example of each one:

1. Pipe or drop fold—if you pick up a cloth and hold it up with one hand or nail up one side, you will notice that TUBE will radiate out from the epicenter. From the epicenter a simple tube will either or break out into multiple tubes. See the illustration.

2. Zigzag Fold—If you take the tubular fold of cloth and bend it the outer section will become rigid but underneath the material will become more loose. The excess on the bottom will reshape or buckle itself into what is more or less a zigzag pattern. See the illustration.

3. Spiral—a cloth will follow the radius of the arm or the leg of a shirt, for example –spiral radiates FROM the point of support and the folds themselves rarely parallel. See the illustration.

4. Diaper—a diaper fold is has TWO or MORE supports. An example of this would be drapery emanating from both shoulders and dropping downward from the shoulders (which are the supports, remember). See the illustration as an example.

5. Half-Lock Fold—The half lock fold occurs when a tubular or flattened fold abruptly shifts its direction. If the shift is at the right angle then the half lock will be sharper or angular. –if they fall in a more sweeping turn the angles will appear to be softer. See illustration.

6. Drop Fold—This is an interesting fold because it is totally based upon the cloth being released from the support so the action is the release and the reaction is the drop and the resulting folds. So an example would be like a cloth dropping from the shoulder. Its outlines weave in and out in exact opposite to the other folds.

7. Inert—Understanding that cloth has no independent form or shape and the cloth is DEPENDENT on the kindness of supports. When you took that towel and dropped it on the floor, it became inert. It is shapeless and without form or void. It is faceless and without point. Chaos demonstrated. But that towel that you dropped is actually alive—it moves and reshapes itself constantly as it settles.

The Excercises:

This week’s excercises are a series of copyright free photos of statutes courtesy of Ian Britton of Freefoto.com* Your assignment this week is to first draw the human figure as you would a nude and then dress the figure using your knowledge of fold. This should be a very easy exercise to undertake.

Field trips: This week I am sending you to visit Freefoto.com as a source for copyright free images.

http://www.freefoto.com

See Below:

*(2) An individual teacher may make occasional us of our images in the course of their own personal teaching work. A credit to (c) Ian Britton - FreeFoto.com is required. You may not distribute any materials that contain our images outside your own classroom.

JayD
03-27-2005, 11:26 PM
Here are 6 and 7

JayD
03-27-2005, 11:27 PM
And here are the excercises--Enjoy!!!

JayD
03-27-2005, 11:28 PM
Here are the last exercise samples:

mothsailor
03-28-2005, 04:10 AM
Great stuff as usual, JayD! Thank you once again! Fantasy one week, drapery studies the next! It's a great mixture.

JayD
03-28-2005, 07:40 AM
Thanks,Dave--can't wait to see what you come up with. :)

Mary Woodul
03-28-2005, 12:30 PM
Very nice, JayD and your write ups are always a pleasure to read. Thank you! :D

JayD
03-28-2005, 01:00 PM
Attention: It Looks As If Several Of My Drawn Images Of The Different Folds Were Removed: Here Are The Missing Ones:

Fireman's kid
03-28-2005, 02:20 PM
I'm here to subscribe to week 16. :wave:

The folds look fun, although I reserve the right to change my mind when I actually try to draw them. :evil:

I'm not sure if I will start this week with this exercise or try to catch up from what I didn't do for lessons 14and 15 first. I guess it will be a surprise for everyone...even me. :p

Looking forward to seeing some great folds!

JayD
03-28-2005, 02:33 PM
Hey Staci--remember that the classes are modular in design so that you can take them in ANY ORDER after the first five so if you have a hankerin' for folds--HAVE AT IT! :D :clap: :clap:

Cathie Jones
03-28-2005, 03:16 PM
Hey JayD - are there any techniques for shadowing, shading, etc. that might be helpful with this lesson? What is the best way to create a reasonably realistic looking fold? Do you 'map' it first, and if so, how?

I draped a towel over a tissue box on the kitchen table (my studio) yesterday and tried to draw it, and had an awful time. It just looked like a bunch of dark smears on the paper. :(

SILKNSATIN
03-28-2005, 04:13 PM
I'm slow lol
But ill get in here :D
An old drawing I did.

Cathie Jones
03-28-2005, 04:43 PM
WOW Bon!! She's a beauty! Love the red! :clap: :clap:

JayD
03-28-2005, 04:49 PM
Bon, what kind of folds, based on my child-like scrawls, would you say those are?

CJ--shading will depend on where the light is striking the material as you know--as for shading technique--the technique that you choose needs to be uniform to the entire piece so you dont want to cross hatch in that ONE area if there is no cross hatching else where. So smudging, blending, crosshatching, whatever--is entirely your choice. I tend to use hatching and cross hatching a lot but my very first drawing were copies of John Tenniel's illustrations.

Judi1957
03-28-2005, 05:56 PM
Hey All :wave:

Looks like another great class here. :clap: :clap:

Bon, That is fantastic! (Slow, yeh, you probably did it in an hour, in between loads of laundry! :D )

Mary Woodul
03-28-2005, 10:32 PM
Bon, that is just luscious. I go over to the WDT and see Diedre's masterpiece and come back here and see your's, then I end up posting my undressed statue. :(

Hi Stacey, Dave, JayD, CJ and Judi . Your right Judi, this is going to be a great class.

JayD
03-28-2005, 11:35 PM
If that is Queen Victoria, I am glad you REALLY did not post her naked! :D Looks great so far--cant wait to see the progress.

Looks like we have a small class this week folks--I appreciate you all sticking to the class and I personally would like to welcome and encourage any lurkers who feel the urge to join in. :)

Deb Leger
03-28-2005, 11:36 PM
Awesome looking class, Jay! And I love your intro story!!!

I'm just working now on formatting it!

I am really looking forward to doing this folds class!!!!

Deb

PS - Bon, those are some awesome folds in your drawing!

JayD
03-28-2005, 11:41 PM
Hey Deb, I am hoping someone identifies Bons folds! :D Glad you could make it it--seems like I was just talking to you in class 15! :D

Bonnie, I hope you will consider posting more of your folds in the class. :)

SILKNSATIN
03-28-2005, 11:57 PM
Umm I have no idea what kind of folds i did :p
Just tried making it look like fabric from my imagination and I know it would have turned out better if I would have looked for folds.Think I did this about 6 or 7 months ago and so I don't know how long it took me?.

Cathie Jones
03-29-2005, 12:05 AM
Mary, that's a great beginning! :clap:

Bon, I think I see Inert folds, half folds and diaper folds in there - almost the whole lesson in one . . . um . . . dress(?). Whatever it is, it's gorgeous.

Deb, thanks for pdf.ing this lesson. I'll be watching for it.

JayD, I didn't find any instructions for folds in the book, or in the links at the top of the drawing site. Any ideas where I can find something?

JayD
03-29-2005, 12:19 AM
The fold class has been added by request and is not in the DeReyna book--you can see the examples of each fold by lookiing down toward the bottom. I inadvertately did not add the images in and did not discover it until this morning. There are no "instructions" for drawing fold but I DO suggest that you try to duplicate the folds with a towel or a cloth. You can certainly break everything down into geometric components but remember that folds are the result of cause and effect.

I wish that de Reyna had covered this in the book but for some reason it is ignored altoghether. A shame since I think this subject is very important.

By the way--go back to the definitions--look at drop fold--that is Bonnie's fold. :)

mothsailor
03-29-2005, 03:32 AM
CJ, there is a drapery tutorial listed in the Learning Centre. The link is here. (http://www.creativespotlite.com/drawing/drapery-tutorial-1.htm) I think it's quite a helpful addition to Jay's lesson.

Nice start Mary!

Judi1957
03-29-2005, 06:28 AM
Morning all :wave:
Thought before I start into the project I would practice the folds. At least 2 of them anyway. :angel:
Not happy with whatever I was doing on the top of the second drop in the second dwg, but I will relook at it and finish it.

JayD
03-29-2005, 07:44 AM
Hi, Judi--those are very nice. I like the way you left the diaper fold partially finished. I did not detail my sketches so that you guys could see the construction. Have you decided on a drawing yet?

sultry
03-29-2005, 08:12 AM
Hiyas everyone,
Jay great class & demos as always. I especially like that you named the folds.
As I told Jay in a PM I am going to be taking a break from subbing & C&Cg (due to personal matters), so I do hope the other subbies help him out. I will be around but not as much.
I will be poking in the main fora now & then so if ya see me pop in & say hi.
BEAUTIFUL Folds Judi

Deb Leger
03-29-2005, 10:02 AM
Just finished the pdf and it's mailing off now! I'm off to work now. This looks great Jay! I think it's an important class - if you're going to learn how to do figures, you need to learn the proper techniques for their clothing. Unless you plan on doing nude studies all the time. :evil:

I'll check back on my lunch time.

Ann, CJ and Jay, I mailed you each a pdf.

Deb

cmwynn
03-29-2005, 11:00 AM
Something I painted last summer for the WDE. I was pleased with it, not always the case with my paintings. It is a simple subject, often the hardest to convey. I've been copying folds from pictures, Rembrandt and Beatrix Potter, always steal from the best. So far, nothing original.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2005/29839-WDE_28_Aug_Towel.JPG

Judi1957
03-29-2005, 12:20 PM
Hey Mary, :wave: Good start there!

Hey CJ, Bon, Dave and Deb :wave:

Sults :wave: We'll be here waiting for ya! We miss you already!!!
Take it easy!!!! :)

Thanks JayD. :)

Connie, I would be pleased with that as well! :clap: :clap:

JayD
03-29-2005, 12:40 PM
Connie, and well you should be proud. The painting technique reminds me very much of the work of Pierre Bonnard. The fold is very well one and the composition is very good. It is very nice all around and as said before, you should be extremely proud. :)

mothsailor
03-29-2005, 01:10 PM
Connie, that's a lovely painting!

Here's the first stage of my statue.

(Er, I'm embarassed to admit I don't know who this is...could someone enlighten me, please?) :o

Cathie Jones
03-29-2005, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the link, Dave. That's the kind of instruction I was looking for. I think I printed that for an earlier lesson, but couldn't find it. Your starting sketch is good. I'm not sure who the statue is, either. My first impression was Thomas Jefferson, but I really don't know.

Connie, good painting - I like the simplicity and the composition.

Deb, thanks for the pdf - I'll post it when I get home.

Sults, please don't stay away too long . . . we'll miss you!

Hi Judi! :wave: Thanks for the idea - I think I'll start with JayD's demos, too. You've got it nailed!!!

mothsailor
03-29-2005, 05:21 PM
Here's my first attempt. Not too happy with it, but to be honest I'm not quite sure what's wrong with it! I'm sure you'll be able to enlighten me.

Judi1957
03-29-2005, 06:48 PM
Hi Dave :wave: ,

This is looking really great in respect to the folds so far. I think you need a lot more layers/darks to really bring them out, but you are definatley on the right track! :clap: :clap: Some of the folds are in a slightly different position, but I think that as long as they look like folds and are believable it's good.

As for the rest of the drawing, I notice his head and his left shoulder are not in the same position/angle as the ref is, and maybe his upper right arm is a tad to long.
You sure picked one with a lotta folds. :D

Mary Woodul
03-29-2005, 08:27 PM
Good evening everyone! :wave: Judi you are so good with shading, those are beautiful folds.

Connie, very good, color and all. :clap:

Dave I think you just need to work on it more. I don't see anything wrong and I like the expression you are achieving in the face. It really does look like Thomas Jefferson.

I'm trying to dress mine but I went wrong someplace because now I have to put some weight on him. :(

Sults, don't be away too long, we will really miss you. :crying:

JayD
03-29-2005, 08:46 PM
Here is a photo from a series that I am shooting for a color study--I thought that I would share one of them with to practice on if you DARE!!! :evil:

Judi1957
03-29-2005, 08:48 PM
Hi Mary :wave:
Have fun dressing your man! I have no trouble putting weight on mine.

Here is my third practice fold and I didn't finish it cause I'm afraid this will be a fairly time consuming project.

JayD
03-29-2005, 09:04 PM
Hey, judi--looks great--these are prep studies that you are doing so what you are doing is just fine. Very nice work.

Cathie Jones
03-29-2005, 09:14 PM
For anyone who (like me!) thinks JayD's quilt is impossible to draw, take a field trip to see Chuffie Under Cover (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128979) drawn and painted (watercolor) by Nandie, one of my favorite people as well as a fantastic artist. Her current atavar is a soft pastel portrait that she did from a photo.
:D

JayD
03-29-2005, 09:32 PM
Cj--thanks for the link--that will actually help me and I am a fan of anyone who has an aunt name "Fookie"! :D Seriously, as soon as I finish "Waterscene" this is one of the next cp projects to tackle. By the way, you can lay down washes of watercolor on the quiilt THEN go over it with colored pencil.

The folds are inert on one side but when the cat is placed unde there it creates a support so that one side is inert and the other is pipe. Do you see it?

Judi1957
03-29-2005, 09:34 PM
Thanks JayD :wave: :)

CJ! :wave: I saw Nandie's avatar...so adorable! So is her pup under the quilt! Thanks for the field trip. :)

Cathie Jones
03-29-2005, 09:43 PM
JayD, I don't see the different folds yet. I need to do the studies so I can remember them. Age and too many activities cause things to fall out of my brain faster than I can stuff them in!

JayD
03-29-2005, 09:55 PM
Cathie, I can certainly respect that! :D :) :cat:

Judi1957
03-29-2005, 10:01 PM
Hey JayD,
My MIL is the "Queen of Quilts" here in Johnstown...now you wanna see some beautiful handmade quilts....her work is absolutley beautiful!

JayD
03-29-2005, 11:05 PM
I love quilts--but don't tell Jen and Jan--I dont think I could handle the resulting shopping spree. :D

Cathie Jones
03-30-2005, 12:27 AM
Ran out of time . . . but I did get two of the fold studies done, and finished crocheting Martha Stewart's 'Coming Home' poncho. Well, not the actual one, but from the same pattern.

So, here are folds 1 and 2 . . . they're pretty light and didn't scan well, but you get the idea. This was fun. I'm looking forward to doing the rest of them. It took a while, but I finally remembered a technique learned from a Michael's drawing teacher - the one who introduced me to Mark Kistler's fun stuff. She would draw a fairly dark line at the darkest part of the shadow, and then use a stump to blend out from the line until it faded out. Then you can use the graphite on the stump to shade the lighter parts.

Okay, I'll stop talking and post now! Good night!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2005/23460-smiley_talk_too_much.gif

JayD
03-30-2005, 12:37 AM
Cathie, they look really good. Nice work so far. Have a nice evening. :)

Hemingway
03-30-2005, 12:39 PM
I made this fold study som time ago, I think it was a reference of Durer(?)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2005/29985-NachDurer.jpg

JayD
03-30-2005, 12:51 PM
That is great Hemmingway--its a spiral fold because it follows the radius of an object. You are very good. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Judi1957
03-30-2005, 12:54 PM
I'll second that Hemmingway. Great job! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mary Woodul
03-30-2005, 02:11 PM
Hi :wave: , JayD your quilt photo is so tempting. I'm dying to see what you do with it. Judi and CJ those are beautiful excercises with the folds.

Hemminway, that is just gorgeous, the feel of the cloth is like silk. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well here is my second stage of my statue, I guess now I put too much weight on him. :( I just realized he is not straight he seems to be leaning a bit.

mothsailor
03-30-2005, 02:34 PM
Hemmingway, that's a lovely drawing.

Mary, great job. The statue might be a bit off, but the folds look good.

Hemingway
03-30-2005, 02:51 PM
Thank you for looking, Dave, Mary, Judy, Jay!

Everyone is doin a good job here; never thought about classifying folds!!!

JayD
03-30-2005, 06:54 PM
What spooks me is that apparently the fold follow natural laws. take a bath towel or whatever an play around with it.

Judi1957
03-30-2005, 07:10 PM
Hey CJ :wave: , Nice folds there! :clap:
I liked doing the demos too, now on to the big one. :eek: :eek:

Hey Mary :wave: ,
Nice folds as well! :clap: (Rotate and crop Mary :wink2: :wink2: -that'll take care of the leaning-lol)

I'm like you Hemmingway...who would of thought of a whole class on this, but now we can see it's importance. :D

Judi1957
03-30-2005, 08:34 PM

I decided to do my class assignment on a pic I took in D.C. at the Korean War Monument. I took the pic for my Dad who was too sick to go. My Dad was an admirable father, man and war hero. He died two years ago.

I was very impressed with the soldiers statues. If you get a chance, I think it's a gotta see. So, I am doing this picture in honor of my Dad.

Posting the ref and my drawing. I started to dress him before the post, just got carried away. :)

Cathie Jones
03-30-2005, 09:10 PM
Evenin' everybody! :wave:

Mary, I think it's just the part of the statue's legs that show that are leaning. Try straightening the legs and I bet the rest of it is fine!

Nice choice, Judi, and you have a good start on it.

Hemingway, I love the folds in that jacket!

I still need to do some studies and then choose something for the project.

JayD
03-30-2005, 09:26 PM
I love the way that everyone is doing the studies before attacking a piece--good show everyone! :clap: :clap: :clap:

JayD
03-30-2005, 09:35 PM
Mary, try to locate his center of gravity--it looks like you may be trying to draw your figure in parts--the soldier with the poncho is in an unnatural pose and I am assuming that he is moving so you have to keep in mind that if the figure is in motion then the ENTIRE body is acting and reacting to itself. for example if the leg is bent foward what is the rest of the body doing IN RELATION to the bend of the leg--does it effect how the hands swing? does it effect the turn of the head--now looking at the poncho--how is that poncho reacting to the movement of the body--where does it connect and dis-egage?

Judi1957
03-31-2005, 05:35 AM
Morning JayD (and early it is :( )
I redid the body outline so you can check it for me please. I did have a lot of trouble with the arm that comes across the front of his body towards the barrel of the rifle-in particular at the shoulder. So that body part (arm) was kinda pieced in-sorta.
Can you tell me where I need to make corrections? I'll be gone all day so I won't be able to see your response till mid evening or so. Thanks Boss!!

Signed,
Judi-Mary :D :D :D :D

resgene
03-31-2005, 06:02 AM
Hello everyone,

The class work looks fantastic. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I have just had the best holiday ever. My husband and I went on a 12 day cruise around New Calidonia and Vanuatu and snorkelled at the most beautiful beaches.

Hopefully now I can get stuck into catching up with the classes.

This is a folds study from life I did 12 months ago when I first started drawing.

I will try the exercises for this class when I catch up. :)

Mary Woodul
03-31-2005, 06:35 AM
Good morning :wave: Ha,ha Judi,but I think the one that needed the center of gravity corrected was mine, I'm working on it and the other suggestions, Thanks Dave, CJ, Judi and JayD....Judi-Mary :D :D :D :wave:

Shelly, those are very nice folds and you can feel the heaviness of the blanket.

mothsailor
03-31-2005, 06:38 AM
Judi,

I think the legs are a bit off...need to go a bit further back. Otherwise looking good. This might help.

SILKNSATIN
03-31-2005, 07:28 AM
Wow you all are doing a fantastic job on folds :clap: :clap:
After 2 weeks of torcher I think JayD picked the right time for this :D

JayD
03-31-2005, 08:45 AM
Hi, Judi--next thing you know I will be calling you Joe. :D Your problem seems to be two-fold to me:

1. I am not getting that the soldier's weight is shifted to that one leg.

2. Approach this also from a point of perspective. I am thinking her that your problem may, in fact, be one of foreshortening. The soldiers leans a bit forward so that his top is projected as being larger while from the waist down he very slightly recedes.

By the way, I am excited that you are taking on such a challenging project. :clap: :clap: :clap:

maria_khurram
03-31-2005, 09:05 AM
WOW great thread. :clap:

JayD
03-31-2005, 09:17 AM
Donald, you are welcome to join the Basic 101 classes if you would like--you can check out the first 15 in the learning center. We would love to have you here with us.

Resgene--dont worry we will be waiting for you.

Guys, when you do your folds remember and try to identify the types--know what the folds are called will better help you plan your own foldfs.

Resgene--love the fold study--it is very nice. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Deb Leger
03-31-2005, 10:06 AM
Judi, your practice folds are looking great!

Connie, that wde you did is beautiful!

Dave, thanks for that link. Like CJ, I have problems with the shading too. I can draw out a very basic fold outline but have major problems with the shading and shading values. I think your exercise looks great! Wonderful folds!!!

Jay, I don't think I dare try the quilt right now! (I did do a plaid towel though a while back. I thought the plaid would require a magic formula, which I didn't have. But after starting to draw it out, I realized that I could "use" those plaid lines to create the folds in the fabric. The shading didn't look too good on that painting, but the plaid lines got me something out of it. I wasn't going to attach it but maybe now I will. It's a painting not quite finished yet.)

CJ, Nandie's paintings are always so nice.

And again, like CJ, I need to practice and draw each of the folds before I "see" the difference.

Judi, you must have some beautiful quilts then, if your MIL loves doing them! I love quilts!!! (Never tried to paint one though!) You certainly chose a complicated picture and you're making such great headway with it!

Bernhard! What awesome folds!!!! Wow! That study, just like it is, would look great framed!

Mary, great job! If he's leaning a bit, just rotate your pic a bit, then he'll be standing straight! lol I like seeing how you started the drawing, by the way.

Shelly, you did a fine job of that blanket, your folds look awesome! Your vacation sounds like it was awesome! No sharks?

Deb

PS - the folds in here need a lot of work and I'm going to be re-doing this painting so I'm hoping that part of it will improve! :D It's an unfinished watercolour on arches 300 lb CP.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2005/11775-2.JPG

cmwynn
03-31-2005, 03:33 PM
Deb, I do line that painting, but think the folds need more darks (where have we heard that before?) I guess I'm dense, but I can't really identify most of the folds. I did enjoy drawing them a LOT more than the fantasy stuff, too stick-in-the-mud for that. First, from Rembrandt, Young Girl Leaning on a Window Sill.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2005/29839-Rembrandt2xm.jpg
Another, Saskia as Flora,(the goddes of spring.) The costume looks very Japanese.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2005/29839-Rembrandt1xm.jpg
A statue from the lesson. He started out smiling, but the more I drew, the more his mouth drooped.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2005/29839-Staturexm.jpg
Napkin folds (compliments of Google, I certainly don't do this anymore.)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2005/29839-Napkin_foldsxm.jpg
A jacket hung from a hook on the wall.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2005/29839-Jacketxm.jpg

Judi1957
03-31-2005, 03:54 PM
Hey all :wave: ,

Got my trip done in 8 hours and am home EARLY! (little celebration :) )

Thanks for the nice comments.

Thanks Dave for the overlay and I see what you are saying JayD. I really appreciate the help. :)
Dave, I think the problem with the legs is he's just running too fast-LOL

Deb, That is such a lovely painting! :clap: :clap: I'm a real fan of blues.

Connie, wow did you do a lot of work here and they look great. :clap: :clap: I do agree about the darks. I think if you do work the darks in shorter/closer together strokes and more layers in the areas that need to be darker you will get better coverage and tones.

Shelly, awesome work on the blanket! :clap: :clap:

Mary Woodul
03-31-2005, 05:38 PM
Thanks Deb, for your comment. Your painting is just beautiful, I love your style.

Connie, you have been busy. your goddes of spring looks great. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hi, JayD, Dave, Donald, Bon, and Judi. :wave:

This is my update on my statue. The folds on the top are diaper folds I think, on the sleeve, spiral, and on the skirt I think they would be pipe folds.

mothsailor
03-31-2005, 05:53 PM
Connie, you've been busy! I think you're right about the darks too!

Mary, that statue is looking great.

Deb, lovely painting. I'm sure it will be even better when you've worked on the folds.

resgene
03-31-2005, 07:14 PM
Thanks Mary, Jay, Deb & Judi. I'm off back to the previous classes now. See you all soon :)

Deb - No sharks, but heaps of anemone fish, tang fish, butterfly fish, bright irridescent blue starfish, many other small and some very large fish! and gorgeous coral, anemones etc. It was awe inspiring to swim near these beautiful creatures.

Judi1957
03-31-2005, 10:16 PM
OK, worked on this...and thanks for the C & C, it was a good push and made me think a lot more about what would really be happening under the poncho.
And the funny thing is, one reason why I was having so much trouble with the shoulder on the left side. There was a part of the poncho which was squared off at the bottom and it confused me. I looked real close and it was another one of the statues behind him.LOL-LOL- :D
As this is a statue, there are supports from the ground into his legs, so I am adding combat boots-just roughed in so far- in lieu of supports.

Mary Woodul
03-31-2005, 10:39 PM
Judi, I forgot to tell you yesterday that I think it is an admiral reason for drawing that certain statue. It is looking good. The only thing that I notice and might be wrong without the reference picture, is his left shoulder. I don't know if it is the position or if it is too big in proportion. The rest looks good to me. :wave:

Cathie Jones
03-31-2005, 11:23 PM
Deb, I like your painting, and having tried a striped cloth once, can say your cloth is looking good!!! Can't wait to see the finished version.

Connie, you've been working very hard and it shows. Great folds - I may have a go at those napkin folds myself, they look good!

Mary - EXCELLENT!!! If Sults was here she'd say "KAV"! :clap:

Judi - WOW! Two drawings in one - the body under the poncho is a great idea to get the image down correctly.

That being said, I've only done two more studies and still haven't chosen a 'final.' Probably won't get this class finished on time unless we go two weeks, and it looks like I'm the only one that needs extra time. I'm working tonight, tomorrow night, all day Saturday, and we'll be out of town Sunday. I will try, though. I'm liking folds!

Good night! See y'all tomorrow!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2005/23460-bearjuggle082001.gif

JayD
03-31-2005, 11:53 PM
This week has moved along to fast--I am going to give you folks the extra week.

idcrisis55
04-01-2005, 06:48 AM
Hi Everyone :wave:

All of you are moving at a fast pace while I am barely getting to sketch the fold shapes which are attached. These were done while waiting on my sis in the dr's. office yesterday.

Hemingway, wonderful fold study! Jay thanks for telling the kind of fold as it helps a lot plus giving an extra week :D.

Mary, your work is coming along very well. I love the face and those shadows in the drapery.

Judi, I like the start of your drawing as it shows how you are approaching the work. Good start.

Shelly, wow, this is a great folds study. Something for me to aspire to for sure.

Connie, don't feel alone, I can't identify most of the folds either :( I enjoyed all your fold drawings. You have a very recognizable style!

Deb, I recognize that painting :D. Again nice work on it and the folds.

Dave, I saw your work earlier. You are going great guns and doing so well.

I probably miss some drawings but want to get this posted and on with my painting/drawing.

Blah, I do hope you are okay!

Cheers Everyone, Hope there is sunshine in your life wherever you are :D
Ann

Judi1957
04-01-2005, 06:57 AM
Opps, double post! :eek:

Judi1957
04-01-2005, 06:58 AM
Mary :wave: , Looking at the shoulder, you are right. It is a bit too big/round. Thanks. Your drawing is looking wonderful! :clap:

CJ :wave: - thanks-see ya soon! Don't work too hard! I am liking this class a lot too.

Morning Ann, :wave:
Nice study! Looking forward to your project.
Hope you all are doing better!

JayD :wave: , Thanks for the extra week, I was doubting I would have been able to finish by Sunday nite. Maybe we can all get another dwg done with the extra week.

Mary Woodul
04-01-2005, 07:47 AM
Hi All! :wave:

JayD, should I work more on the statue or do you think it is done?

Hi Ann, nice to see you, those folds are beautiful.

Thank you for your comments. :D

JayD
04-01-2005, 08:12 AM
Hi, Mary--no, you should work on it some more--I agree about the shoulder and there is something about the statue that seems off to me but I cannot pinpoint it. I am thinking the hat and hair are bothering me but I honestly do not know why.

I am sorry that I have not gotten back to all of you sooner but yesterday was a distressfully distracting day. :)

mothsailor
04-01-2005, 08:24 AM
This week has moved along to fast--I am going to give you folks the extra week.

Great! Now I can do at least one more.

Fireman's kid
04-01-2005, 10:36 AM
Hi all! Lots of great folds here! It seems most of us are more comfortable with folds than we were with fantasy. :D

I finally sat down last night and got some drawing time in. I started drawing the curtains in my family room. One thing of note...the hardest part was drawing the birdhouse in perspective!! :eek: I thought I had already learned that lesson, but I guess if I don't practice it over and over it is easy to forget. :(

Of course I guessed the perspective would be the hardest so I cheated and only drew one of the two birdhouses. :p The drawing is obviously not done. I'm still building up to my darks. But I wanted to show you that I was still here and working. :)

Maybe with the extra week I can finish this and catch up on some of the other lessons I haven't finished yet. :rolleyes:

Well, here's my drapes. C&C welcome.

idcrisis55
04-01-2005, 11:07 AM
Stacy, nice touch with the pencil. Your values are coming along very well.

Mary, nice to see you too :D, Thanks for the comment on the folds. I went back and looked at your drawing again after reading the comments. I compared your drawing with the photo and my thinking is the head looks just a tad too small for the body. What do you think?

Hi Judi, I'm hoping to start on the drawing this weekend sometime :) So many things I want to draw and paint but we have two major events coming for our family this Spring and Summer that will be held here at the house, so that means major work for me around the place.

Ann

Mary Woodul
04-01-2005, 11:12 AM
OK JayD, will do. :D

Stacey, what lovely drapes, you shading is beautiful.

Hi Ann, thank you for pointing that out, maybe that is what I also see that is distracting, like JayD does also. I'll work on that today. :D
I guess we will both have a busy summer, my son's wedding is going to be at the ranch in July and I also have a lot of work ahead of me. :eek:

Judi1957
04-01-2005, 12:19 PM
:wave: Hi Stacy, Ditto Ann and Mary on your drapes, they are developing very nicely. You have such a wonderful touch! :clap:

:wave: Ann, Good luck with organizing the events...always a big chore. Hope it all turns out well!

:wave: Mary, You too! I'll be doing that next summer.

I'm bumming out. Luke is to arrive in the Persian Gulf this morning. :crying: :crying:

Judi1957
04-01-2005, 12:34 PM
Hey All-Don't forget to rate the thread! :D

fireman
04-01-2005, 01:20 PM
Stacy, good luck fold have always given me problems,but your better then me. Love Dad,(Fireman) :wave:

fireman
04-01-2005, 01:22 PM
Stacy, good luck folds have always given me problems,but your better then me. Love Dad,(Fireman) :wave:

Fireman's kid
04-01-2005, 02:20 PM
Ann, Mary, Judi and Dad - Thanks for looking and for the compliments.

Dad, shouldn't you be working. If you are on lunch break I would have thought you'd be out driving around in the Miata with the top down. Don't tell me you left it home on a beautiful day like today?! :confused: :evil:

Cathie Jones
04-01-2005, 02:47 PM
Good job, Stacy! I wouldn't have known you had trouble with the perspective. Looks great from here!

Judi - I didn't realize Luke was going over there - somehow I thought he was staying in San Diego. Just keep repeating: "He'll be safe and back home soon" - at least a thousand times a day. I'll say it with you!

Dave, I'm headed out to see your duck.

mothsailor
04-01-2005, 05:15 PM
Judi, must be hard for you, but I'm sure Luke will be OK.

Stacy, this really good already, but I'm sure it will be even better with some more darks.

Just noticed that this is my 1000th post!! Whoo hooo!!

JayD
04-01-2005, 05:30 PM
Dave, you minion you! Congrats on lucky 1000!

Judi, I am sorry to hear about Luke. Our thoughts and prayers (mine and my family's) are with him.

Judi1957
04-01-2005, 06:08 PM
Hey Dave,
Congratulations on your minionazation :clap: :clap: (say that 5 times real fast!)
You are a good yakker and we are so glad you are a yakkin with us. :D

Thanks all for the prayers and well wishes for Luke, he is not there in the Gulf for a one year tour like Sult's Natalie, but he is supposed to be there for up to a month on the USS Carl Vinson, a floating city. The boat holds 5,000 of our wonderful men and ladies.
Hat's off to all our military service people who put themselves on the line for the citizens of the US and of the World everyday. :clap: :clap:

JayD
04-01-2005, 06:23 PM
I am very familiar with the Carl Vinson--he should be just fine. I wondered if he was Navy when you mentioned San Diego.

jmfletch
04-01-2005, 07:29 PM
Resgene - Awesome!!

Deb - Love the colors!!

Connnie - You sure are prolific!! Good work!!

Mary - Looking good!!

Stacy - Very cool!! Perspective and folds :D . Can't wait to see it with more darks.

Judi - Love your choice...and know that there are lots of old salts on board who will take good care of your Luke. :wave:

Well I am just posting my practise piece. After reading JayDs lesson I thought it all sounded familiar so I spent two days going through every art book I own before finding the article I was looking for in the July issue of Drawing Board. There is an 8 page article titled "Fabulous Folds" by Robert Barrett. Excellent!!!

Being a NYC boy and a Navy vet, the Statue of Liberty has always been special so I decided to draw her. But when I downloaded the photo the details were kind of "pixelated" (if that is a word. :D ), so...I spent another day searching the net for pictures of "the lady in the harbor".

Today I finally started practising folds... I believe this includes pipe, diaper and drop folds.

Tomorrow I hope to start on the final piece, did I mention I am also painting the house this week. Trying to cover up some scars from Charlie. :D

JayD - Thanks for the extra week. I, for one, need it!!

Joe aka Jim

Judi1957
04-01-2005, 08:03 PM
Hey Joe :music: ,
Thanks.
I would title your piece the same as the article..."Fabulous Folds"
That is a wonderful cape!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Is Drawing Board a current publication?

(I 'know' he will be OK, I'm just such a Mom)

That's the same problem I had with Miss Liberty being so pixelated. I have her posted in my cubie at work. The photo is of her at night...(I am a lighting freak)...and the pic is so amazing and beautiful...but those darned copyrights!

JayD
04-01-2005, 09:14 PM
Hi, Joe--now let me get this straight. You have a cape on a hanger. You have a HOODED cape on a hanger--you have a 1960-70's "Devils Rain" type cape on a hanger. Hmmmmm... What DO you do in your evenings? :evil:

It is magnificent. I can see the diaper and pipe folds--wonderful shading--a great value study. :clap:

Cathie Jones
04-01-2005, 10:14 PM
JoeJim! :clap: :clap: :clap: Fantastic folds, whatever kind they may be! I love that cape . . . may I borrow it? I mean to wear, not to draw! :evil:

Edit: Judi, there must be about a gazillion and a half photos of the Statue of Liberty - how could anyone ever claim a copyright issue? How would they know you used their photo as a model?

Judi1957
04-01-2005, 10:53 PM
CJ, Honestly I would have never really worried about it, but JayD made a point that the photos in the link were free to use...so I had it in my head.

Posting stage1 and he's looking a little blurry on the screen. But tomorrow is Saturday so maybe I can get a clearer pic in with the daylight :rolleyes:

Jolanta
04-01-2005, 10:59 PM
Hi,
I am sorry I come in like this but I just want to help. I started to read this thread and realized some of you don't even know how to start. I have a nice Leonardo's drawing and I will walk you through this and I think you can do almost as good as he did. If you work on white paper cover the surface of paper with charcoal powder or graphite powder (you can scrape graphite pencil with knife and use this) and make the medium value gray all over just as you can see in the drawing. If you have tinted paper it will work even better but don't use light color but medium like grey, blue, brown, green and so on. Now take white pastel pencil or hard white pastel and have charcoal black pencil or carbon black pencil or hard black pastel handy in another hand and draw all white highlights you see in the drawing. Draw exact shapes of white as close as you can and draw black lines (gently) and shadows as you go one step at the time. Be very careful and don't rush. Take your time and pay attention how light is hitting the folds pretending you are looking at real fabric and try to understand how it works. It is really simple. Light cannot bend so everything going forward will catch it and folds turning in will be in the shadow. Check and recheck as you go and remember to find the darkest darks and punch them with black. Remember to separate the folds of the fabric from the floor with slightly darker value. Use the side of the pencil and try not to blend with your fingers or anything. He didn't blend it. He blended everything with strokes only and this way it looks much better. Take your time and you will be suprised how well you can do it.
Hope it will help somebody.
Now let's try it.
Jolanta

Judi1957
04-01-2005, 11:18 PM
Hey Jolanta, :wave:
Thanks so much for stopping by and your lesson. I'll be sure to try it tomorrow. :)

Jolanta
04-01-2005, 11:23 PM
I need to add something to my previous post. If you don't have white pastels - after rubbing the background you can use eraser to lift hightlights and use black pencil for shading. Cut hard eraser in small pieces and use it just like white pencil drawing with corners. Be creative - listen to your eyes not to your brain - draw what you see not what you think you see.
Have fun
Jolanta

Fireman's kid
04-01-2005, 11:44 PM
Lots of activity here tonight. Must be because it's finally the weekend. Yay! :D

First congrats to Dave our newest minion!! :clap: I swear compared to the rest of you I am a mime (or maybe a mute). :p

Joe - Your cape is amazing! It looks like I could pluck it right off that hanger. As you will see when I post my update below, your values work much better than mine. Maybe because you have a smoother transition than I do? :confused: Whatever it is I wish my folds looked like yours. :)

Judi - This is an incrdible start to your drawing. I can already tell it is going to be fantastic. I can't wait to see it done. Both the face and the folds are looking great! Also, my prayers are with Luke for his safe return. I appreciate the sacrifice parents like you and Sults make when you are separated from your children while they protect the rest of us. It must be heart wrenching. :(

Jolanta - thanks for the fold lesson! I will have to study it against my drawing tomorrow when I am more awake.

Below I am posting my update. I have to say I think I liked this better before I darkened it, but I'm not sure what is wrong. I find drawing from life (versus a reference photo) to be more challenging. I tried to squint to see the values but am not sure I got them correct. And since the curtains are hung at the top of the window I couldn't really get closer to see them better. :rolleyes:

Anyway, if you can help me fix this it would be much appreciated. :wave:

Judi1957
04-02-2005, 12:09 AM
Hey Stacy :wave:
I think your drawing looks like late evening with a lamp below. If that is the case, maybe more darks on the top of the other folds, the ones not facing the light source.
I like it but I don't know what to tell you. Is this drawn from real life? If so, take a digital pic and do a greyscale, that may help you. Maybe it'll be clearer tomorrow. It is midnight. :D Sorry can't be more help.
Question on the 'construction': is the fabric really pulled tight across the top, is there some clamp in the birdhouse? Just curious.

Jolanta
04-02-2005, 12:28 AM
Hi,
Don't worry about darkness. You can go even darker in some places. Contrast is very important. I think the problem is in lines. I can see quite few lines and they are lines not shadows. If you could go over them with short diagonal strokes giving them more shading look. Don't know how to put it in words. When I squint your drawing looks better because I cannot see strong thin lines. Punch some darkest darks where you see them. Check the shadows on the wall. They should follow the shapes of the subjects. You doing great.
Jolanta

llanpe
04-02-2005, 01:33 AM
Jay, another great lesson, is always a pleasure to read all the information you put in this fantastic drawing course.
This is a study of drapery, after Leonardo, I did some time ago.
Excelent drawings everyone.
Peter

Judi1957
04-02-2005, 07:45 AM
HEY YOU GUYS!

I have been on a quest to find Blah, via his wife's organization. I got a response on him this morning and this is it:

"Thank you for your concern. This message is from Balaji- sent from his wife's mailbox.
He says he is fine and is sorry for not being able to contact.. he has just been very busy and also having problems with his mail-connections. He will get in touch directly.
With best wishes,
from Nithya Balaji
Nalamdana Charitable trust"

So we will here from him as soon as he can! :D
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Mary Woodul
04-02-2005, 08:45 AM
Judi, you must be very proud of your Luke, he will be in my prayers and before you know it he will be back home. Judi your soldier is looking very good.

Joe you drawing is awesome, the way you setit but give's it a great mood.

Peter and Jolanta, those are beautiful folds and very well rendered.

Hey, Dave, JayD, CJ and Stacey. :wave:

Judi your a good detective, how did you do that? I 'm happy to know everything is fine with Blah, hope he comes back soon.

JayD
04-02-2005, 08:48 AM
Peter and Jolanta--thanks for posting. Please know that your support of these eager learners is very much appreciated.

Mary, I think we should compile a list of things that Judi needs to find for us. I will Start with:

My lost youth! :D

feel free to add to the list.

idcrisis55
04-02-2005, 08:52 AM
Judi, first I'm late in saying Luke is in my thoughts and prayers for his safe return to you. I know it is hard to see them leave home but especially hard when the destination is so troubled.

Also, thank you for finding out about Blah. That is such great news they are okay and will be back with us, hopefully soon.

Judi, love the way you started your drawing. Such life to it already.

Peter, wonderful folds, values. Love the draping effect.

Jolanta, Wow! what a wonderful drapery drawing. Those areas catching the light contrasted with the darks are beautiful. Thank you for the explanation of how to work on colored paper using the graphite or charcoal powder. The tip about slicing off a small piece of eraser is one I'll definitely use.

Joe, this is a wonderful drawing of the hooded cape. You certainly understand the value changes.

Dave, Congrats on the 1000th post! I always enjoy your posts :D

Stacy, I just read Jolanta's helpful comments about your drawing. I'm looking forward to seeing what changes you incorporate. It is looking good now but know you will make it "sing".

Sults, hope you get to feeling much better soon. You are missed.

Hope I'm caught up and haven't missed anyone's work!

Cheers
Ann

Judi1957
04-02-2005, 10:11 AM
Morning again, :wave:

Mary and Ann, Ty for the compliment and well wishes for Luke. :)
I do not know how Sults did it, Nat was actually on land in Iraq.

Sults :wave: :wave: :wave: Hurry back! We miss you!

Mary---FBI---LOL. Really though, I had a link from Blah he sent me in a pm on his wife's organization and I had saved the link, and sent an e-mail via the contacts there requesting info on Blah as we were all concerned about him as he has been missing.

JayD, looking for my youth as well---they do have some great retinol products out there :D :D

Adding a new wip, no more work on it. I am still trying to get good posts that look like it is IRL. :confused: It seems a bit better. I see some blending will be in order. :rolleyes:

bjcpaints
04-02-2005, 10:48 AM
Hi everyone :wave: Did I hear extention?? I haven't even had time to think about this lesson so I will be lagging behind until I finish several projects I am involved in currently. I knew that once our busy season started I would be unable to keep up here. :mad: Talk to you soon.
Barbara

Judi1957
04-02-2005, 02:45 PM
Hi Barb! :wave: Good to see you, we'll all be here when you get back to it. :)

Well, have another hour into it and it is slo-o-o-w going. I am using a .5 pentel pencil w #hb lead-it's the only lead I have at this time for the pencil. I am just doing layers and will heavy up more later.
Going to post more often with this so I don't go awry somewhere and you all could catch it before it would go too far. Right now I am happy with him at this stage. C & C always welcome and appreciated.

JayD
04-02-2005, 02:54 PM
Really progressing well, Judi. It's slow going when you work soemthing with this much detail. This is going to be on of your best yet. How are you getting the tone for the skin. I was following Armin and found out that he is, in fact, doing some tinting with graphite powder. Not a lot apparently but just enought to reduce the lightness of the paper--still mostly his little Arminian Circles an still mostly, in point, amazing.

sultry
04-02-2005, 03:45 PM
Hey this class is really informative Jay and everyone has done a great job on their folds.
I love your greek god statue Mary it looks 3d.
Judi that is coming along great, your war statue.
Dave that is really good shading on the folds.
Connie I saw the first fold piece but wow you have done a series of them and good job.
Deb I do like the color piece and I think it looks like with this class your not going to have a problem getting your folds to have more texture.
Stacy that curtain is beautiful.
Hi Ann & I am turning in my fold piece late.
Joe you did really well on that I like it, I did a hanger one too.
Peter that is a great study you did.
Jolanta what wonderful info & that is so realistic and beautiful.
Hi Barbara.
If I missed anyone I am sorry,
I have not been feeling like sketching much due to my migraines, so I did not think I would have anything to turn in. I took my sketch pad with me to the hospital tests and was able to doodle after all.
Well Deb I did practice the folds as you said and this was in the waiting room last night. I must say that the MRI machine is dang loud. that when I was in it. I happened to look up at the nurse peek at me and this is what I saw before I closed my eyes. I had to wait after my MRI's and so I picked up a magazine sketched a eyeball from it and added from memory the rest. I also did the dress from memory from my closet.
edited to add... Oh Bon I love the girl in the red dress too.

Judi1957
04-02-2005, 04:26 PM
Hey Sults :wave: ,
Your back! :clap:
Lovely job on the folds :clap: and de nurse.
Yes, everyone is loving Class 16.
Did you see Bon's web site?...you are in there! :D

Judi1957
04-02-2005, 04:31 PM
hey JayD,
Thanks, I hope it turns out well. :) I actually started this drawing with a .7 pentel, thats what I used for the first post (start on the face). Forgot :rolleyes: I had gotten the .5 the other day.
Armin and his circles are truly amazing I agree. He is certainly one to watch!

mothsailor
04-02-2005, 04:32 PM
Judi, this is coming along really well. Look forward to seeing more updates.

Sults, glad to see you're putting pencil to paper again! Nice work!

Jolanta
04-02-2005, 07:18 PM
Hi,
Here I am again. Let's talk a bit more about folds. When I started to draw I did this simple drawing of folds looking at the curtain. To learn how to do it correctly I believe the best is to start very simple. You can fold the paper towel - just few folds and draw it. You can use piece of fabric, some of your clothes are great. If you want to be challenged take something you have with stripes - hang it over the chair and draw it fallowing all the stripes. OK. don't cry - you don't have to do the whole thing - just the part of it. If you want to get fancy you can try different kinds of fabric, cotton, silk, taffeta. All of them have a bit different look and feeling. I know this is advanced but you can use it in the future practice. Find your evening dress hopefuly with some shine and see how beautiful folds you can get. I know we all are busy. Don't do the whole thing or try to make pretty picture. Do several pieces, parts of different kind of textures in folds. This way you will learn much more in short time. Drawing is about seeing. If you will train your eye to see the values correctly you will be able to draw anything. It is all about values and the right shapes of values. You can start with light lines to see the shape and then shade over them so you will not see lines anymore. I like to use the side of pencil because it goes much faster and gives me better look than working with the tip. Now I found some of my drawings with folds to show you what I did after simple practices. Here they come.
Keep folding and drawing
Jolanta

Deb Leger
04-02-2005, 07:22 PM
I've got a few examples done before going on to the main assignment. The photographing of these makes them look much more contrasty than they are. :D I really need to practice on those shapes of folds. Richard (rjking) gave me some excellent advice in a previous thread to place a towel on a table, with lots of folds, and draw. I'm going to work more at that because those darned shaded shapes of folds drive me bananas! The first two are out of a book on sewing drapery.

Joe, after reading about you finding that article, I felt the same feeling of familiarity, I was sure I'd seen the article you mentioned. So, I went through all my back issues of art magazines (and there were plenty - I'm a packrat with art magazines and can't throw any out!) and found the same article! The jacket sleeve is from there. (It's a magazine put out by American Artist but I don't think they put it out anymore, instead now devoting a section every few issues to Drawing. At least, I haven't seen it on the newstands since.)

Deb

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2005/11775-exdrop.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2005/11775-exdrop2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2005/11775-exzigzag.jpg

Deb Leger
04-02-2005, 07:31 PM
Jolanta, thank you so much for the help you're giving us!!! It is very much appreciated! I'm going to start, hopefully tonight on what you're suggesting.

I'm posting a few more I've done and then will try and catch up on some email after a quick errand. The mantle one (halflock) is from the drapery book again and the first one of the batch that I drew. You can tell by the paleness of it and the folds.

Deb

ps - the first one is a diaper fold and the second one is half-lock

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2005/11775-exdiaper.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2005/11775-exhalflock.jpg

Judi1957
04-02-2005, 07:44 PM
Thanks Dave :wave:

Jolanta,
Thanks so much for coming in again and the lessons. :clap: :clap:

Those are beautiful folds you are showing us. I particularly love the dancer in the third attachment!

Is there any special techiniques you can share on doing specific fabrics? I didn't get to work on the demo you gave us yesterday, but am anxious to start it.

Hi Deb, Those are looking good :clap: , you've been awfully busy.

jmfletch
04-02-2005, 08:44 PM
Hi, Joe--now let me get this straight. You have a cape on a hanger. You have a HOODED cape on a hanger--you have a 1960-70's "Devils Rain" type cape on a hanger. Hmmmmm... What DO you do in your evenings? :evil:

It is magnificent. I can see the diaper and pipe folds--wonderful shading--a great value study. :clap:

JayD - I take the 5th. :evil:

Judi - Deb said she thinks it is out of print. The issues bought were from the magazine section of Books-A-Million. My last issue is July 04 and Good Ole Charlie wiped out the local Books-A-Million and it has not yet re=opened. :(
Your memorial picture is coming great!! :clap:

CJ, Stacy, Mary, Ann - Thanks for the kind words.

Sults!! Welcome back! :wave: :wave:

Jolanta - good info! Thanks!! Love the dancer :clap:

Deb - Your jacket looks exactly like the magazine illustration!1 :clap: :clap:

Here's my lastest effort at a diaper fold.

Joe aka Jim

sultry
04-02-2005, 09:13 PM
OOPs I forgot CJ, I'm sorry, I thought your study on folds was very good too.
Thanks for the welcome back Judi, Dave & Joe.

Jolanta wow I like your explanations on folds and those are very realistic.

Deb great study on the folds they look realistic too.

Joe that is really good.

Well, Jay this piece is completed and my title of it is Will I ever dance again? The swollen ankle & bad shoulder are added to the dancing dress that hangs so sadly in my closet. lol, I know, I draw things with messages from within myself.

Judi1957
04-02-2005, 10:52 PM
Hey Sults,
That is something...how do you ever think of these things?
You have not only brought two seeminly unrelated things together, you added to it and bought them to life. I was just comparing your first post of the two to this final and just gotta say wow! :clap: :clap: :D

Deb Leger
04-02-2005, 11:18 PM
Okay Jolanta, don't laugh at this! Some revelations that came to me while doing this:

- Van Gogh doesn't have a thing to worry about with me
- I hate charcoal
- NOT blending as per instructions was THE hardest thing to do!!!
- You have to stay quite a ways back to view this thing

But other than that, I'm thinking that maybe if I did it over in pencil, I'd like it a lot more. I'm comfortable with pencil though, so that's what makes this one a good "stretch" from that comfort zone, right? :D

This looks a lot better on screen than it looks in real life, trust me! :evil: Not being able to blend though sure made me "see" the shapes.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2005/11775-DSCF0012.jpg

sultry
04-02-2005, 11:25 PM
Deb this is beautiful :clap:

Jolanta
04-02-2005, 11:31 PM
Thank you so much for nice words. Joe- you are great with shading. You can read values very well which is not easy but sooner or later we all get there.
Deb - you are getting better and better. Don't be afraid of darks - parts of the shadows in folds are very dark specially the once closer to the light.
Judi - I like your drawing and your determination to do it right. The dancer in red you like is my daughter. Her passion is dancing. I got her likeness right but I think I made her look too short. Maybe I was running out of paper?
Sults - You put a lot of feelings in it. Don't worry-you will dance again and again.
Judi -I am attaching some examples of different fabrics and some information about them.
If you want to draw any fabric, you must consider its weight, reflective quality and texture. For example, heavier cloth such as satin will display fewer fine folds than a light fabric like silk. The crispness and shine of taffeta are marked by highlights and sharp lines. Velvet, corduroy and herringbone are relatively dull, but each has a different texture. Lace is light, patterned and often transparent.
Here we go....
Enjoy it - Jolanta

Jolanta
04-02-2005, 11:40 PM
Deb - this is perfect! I am so proud of you. Believe me trying different medium,papers, techniques, styles helps a lot and makes it soooo exciting. Every time I do something different I cannot believe myself I did it. It makes you feel so good about yourself. We all need it right? Charcoal is great if you go slowly and control it and keep it clean. I love it!!!
Now do another one so we can learn-please....
Jolanta

llanpe
04-03-2005, 12:03 AM
Jolanta, thankyou for all that interesting information.
Incredible the beautiful drapery all of you are doing.
Peter

Judi1957
04-03-2005, 08:51 AM
Deb, You busy bee you! That is wonderful! :clap: :clap:

Jolanta, Thanks so much for the fabric samples and explainations!! What a great help you have been. :clap: :clap:

idcrisis55
04-03-2005, 09:33 AM
Wow, all of you are moving right along.

Deb, I enjoyed every drawing you did of the folds and especially like your last piece in charcoal. That is a beauty.

Jolanta, even though I haven't gotten to the actual drawing part yet, the information and pics you are sharing is really a boon and very helpful.

Sultry, I like the abstracted hidden meanings in your drawings. The folds are coming along very well.

Joe, another excellent drawing. I like your shading very much!

Going through this thread has certainly made me more aware of the folds I now see all around me.

Excellent you guys!
Ann

Deb Leger
04-03-2005, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the comments on the painting and drawing.

Connie,your folds are looking good! I loved your comment about "the more I drew, the more his mouth drooped"! :D He still looks good though. Living in a house of men, I don't do the napkin fold thing either anymore. <sigh> It's really tough to get the darks into the folds, I agree. Though, working in charcoal with no blending allowed really helped me lay some down. As for identifying the folds, you're not dense. I find it difficult to see them too, and if I do, then I find they could be several different kinds in the one fold. Ah well, we'll learn!

Mary, great work! I'm trying to identify folds and *think* you have a half-lock one in there too. The one that runs from his shoulder, down across his chest to under his arm. I think!

Shelly, it *must* be awe inspiring to swim with all those creatures!

Judi, your soldier is coming along great. I really like seeing how you're working this out! Wow, 5000 people on one ship - the floating city! I'm sure that Luke will be fine! And I'm so glad Blah is okay. Just saw the update on your soldier and he's looking fine! Love the improvements you made on his shoulder, too. You mentioned you were having trouble getting the pic to look real, how do you do them? Scanner or photograph?

CJ, you're not the only one who needs two weeks - and we've got it! I'm liking folds too, I'm really learning a lot in this class!

Hi Ann, good practice work! You did an awesome job on that eggs/collander painting, too!

Jay, I hope that 'distressful distraction' has faded away to the useless file, where it belongs. :wink2:

Stacy, I love your birdhouses on your curtains! What a great idea. You're right about practicing. What's that saying? "Use it or lose it." I find drawing from real life is far more difficult that using a photo, too.

Fireman, why not join us for the class if your folds need work?

Joe, your cape is awesome and those folds are incredible! You really have them down pat. And your diaper folds! Beautiful!

Jolanta, again - thank you for the wonderful info! I made a grave error when I posted the charcoal folds - I said Van Gogh instead of Leo. :o As I was laying in bed this morning, debating on whether to get up early and draw, or sleep, I thought, funny - I wouldn't have though Van Gogh drew like that. Thanks for your comments on the charcoal drawing! At first, I found it overwhelming and didn't even know where to start. So, with a pencil, I drew in some faint lines where the major folds would be. Was that cheating? (The trouble was though, that even though those lines were faint, you could see the grooves in the paper when going over them with charcoal.) But what I enjoyed about this one the most was actually doing something so classical. I love the old classic works!

Peter, those are awesome folds!!! As Jay said, we all really appreciate your help and support.

Hi Barbara!

Sults, it's good to see you back! You did a fine job on that nurse - and this is from your memory??? Wow! I hope the practicing while waiting helped to pass the time. I hope your migraine has eased today.

Deb

Deb Leger
04-03-2005, 10:13 AM
Is Drawing Board a current publication?

Judi, this is the magazine here (http://www.artistsmagazine.com/mags_tam_display.asp?id=1587) Looks like it was the last they did of it. Too bad, it was very good.

I could email you the info in the article if you like, just let me know.

I think I'd said it was put out by American Artist, but it's not, it's by The Artist's Magazine.

Deb

Cathie Jones
04-03-2005, 10:18 AM
You guys are all doing so well! And Jolanta, thank you for your assistance.

Looks like I may be catching up on this lesson at a later date. Still have much work to do and we'll be in L.A. all day today.

Jolanta, if Deb agrees, would it be okay to add your instructions to our PDF lesson? Deb, if Jolanta agrees, would you mind re-doing the PDF with her instructions included?

Gotta run . . . this is the morning many of us 'lose' an hour . . .
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2005/23460-ani-alarmclock.gif

Edit: Thanks for the mag info, Deb. I ordered one.

Judi1957
04-03-2005, 10:26 AM
So sorry I missed commenting on that beautiful drawing! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Deb, :wave: I would love it if you would e-mail me the article! Thanks so much!

Hi CJ! :wave: Enjoy LA and the sun! We just got covered with snow last night! :mad:

Jolanta
04-03-2005, 01:34 PM
Hi,
Jay - thank you so much for running this and for all your time,effort and preparation you put in it. I know what it takes and I really appreciate it. I am very busy and WC now is sooooo big I am unable to keep truck of what's happening here but from time to time I like to browse around and see if I can be of any help and learn from all of you too. I will do my best to help and jump in when I have something smart to say haha.
Cathie - you can use me any way you like. What's PDF lesson??? See how far behind I am.
Deb - it's OK to draw lines first LIGHTLY. You should use charcoal pencil for them. Graphite lines are hard to cover. I learned this hard way when I did preliminary drawing with graphite pencil for pastel portrait and couldn't get rid of lines showing. Simply because chalks don't want to go over graphite.
Now I don't know how long this is running and if I still have a chance to add some excitement to this class but I am going to do it anyway....
Some of you said the best way to learn is to draw from real life. I agree but since drawing is about learning how to see sometimes it is very hard to see what we need from real thing.
In my drawing class I start with copying great old masters drawings or todays great artists drawing to teach techniques. Each drawing can be done in so many ways and using so many different mediums. Mainly because it is much easier to see what's in the drawing of somebody else then to figure out how to draw what I see in front of me. The next thing we do we use photos which are more complicated but we learn to see values and how to simplify everything. Working from black and white photo helps a lot and you can make any colors you like. Next step is working from real life. The most important thing is to set up strong single light on still life to see values and shadows.
Let's go back to folding. I am a big admirer of Durer. I think he was the great drawer and I love to use his work for learning purpose. I am attaching two examples of his ink drawings. Don't worry you don't have to do it in ink. I recommend to use regular ball pen you have handy or fine marker or even automatic pencil ( you know the one you load it with lead). Automatic or mechanical (don't know the name) pencil will give you consistent line and you don't have to sharpen it. Durer's drawings are very busy so as you see I isolated the drapery from the rest. Your job is to draw it with lines only. Yes-no shading any other then lines - hatching and crosshatching. You should be able to see what he did and do the same. Study this and notice how important is the direction of the line. See how he did the darkest parts.
Now you probably wonder - why do I have to learn all these folds? Do I need it? Yes we all need it. Why?
If you draw still life - you will need it for backgrounds fabric, tablecloths
If you draw portraits - clothing for drawing figure, head coverings, wrinkles are nothing more but folding of the skin
If you draw landscapes - water waves
Even for flowers drawing - folded petals and leaves
Other - bed sheets
This is from the top of my head. I am sure you can come up with more use for it - so let's do it
Jolanta

vasilkadifeli
04-03-2005, 02:21 PM
wow you are all doing so well... Jolanta your cloths and folds drawings are outstanding... I was so procrastinating those last weeks that I could only sit at my desk for almost an hour this saturday and did some quick drawing which has nothing good and significant regarding cloths and folds... I wasn't going to post it but here it is :
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2005/32140-Class_16-_exercise.jpg

JayD
04-03-2005, 04:17 PM
Jo--the classes are place in PDF (portable document format) and placed on various sites for distribution. PDF is cross platform and can be used on either mac or pc. They are hard to tamper with as well.

If everyone is ok with this--as you noticed the classes are going to get a bit more advanced from this point one--if I survive--so I will now be moving the class sessions to every two weeks as long as everyone is ok.

We were getting to a point where we seem to be rushing through the classes and this has effected not only the quality of my writing but the quality of time that you are allowed to put into each porject--and, as some or most of you know--I am dealing with some serious burn out and the loss of the Letter "D" which I stepped on and crushed last night.

Jo--my INTENT with this class was that I would handle it sometimes and that more qualified artist would have the courage and the time to step in and display their artistic wares to the class--I never thought it would be another fellow TARHEEL!!! :D Anyway, you may jump in anytime that you feel the mood--I will still write and post the brief's each session.

NOW

Jo mentioned the masters--you guys should have your masters project picked within the next two weeks--after this next week, we will be doing hands and feet :wave: --and you KNOW they are important--unless you are going to draw limbless greek torsos. :D

Lastly, the educational series is just beginning. Deb Leger and I are brainstorming a a new type of class and as soon as we figure out what it is and what it actually entails, we will make an announcement like we did with Basic 101.

Have fun--I love you all (yep, even you guys :evil: )--You are a great group of people to know and to work with. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Deb Leger
04-03-2005, 04:33 PM
CJ, I'll add Jolanta's instuctions in the pdf and send it to you. Might not be tonight though.

Jolanta, every lesson, I (or Ann) format Jay's lesson into a file that can be saved on our computers or printed out to put in a binder. (In pdf format so that everyone can open it easily.) Ann and CJ then post it on their sites for classmates to download. So, if it's okay with you, I'll add in your lessons to our week 16. You can download it, and all the others, by clicking on the links in either Ann's (idcrisis55) or CJ's signature.

I found out what you mean by charcoal not covering graphite. (I missed the charcoal lessons that Jay did and still have to go back and do them.) And that makes so much sense about how folds are used for just about everything! I never would have thought of wrinkles or waves as simply folds! When doing crosshatching, the darkest parts are just several layers?

Vasil, good work. I think if you put some values into the fold dark/shadow areas, it'll make them a bit more three-dimensional. I learned in watercolour to always make the shadow areas have three values.

Judi, it's in the mail.

Deb

Oh, and here's the latest fold I finished. The spiral one. I've learned a lot this weekend! And I can't believe how much easier drawing is coming to me. It's like it doesn't feel like it's a major project when I sit down to draw something now. I'm going to lose my title of turtle before I know it. :o

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2005/11775-exspiral.JPG

Deb Leger
04-03-2005, 04:36 PM
What the heck is a tarheel??? :D :D :D

(we crossposted on the pdf thing!)

Am off to the mother-in-law's now for supper and will be working on my assignment as soon as I get back. I'm hoping to do a Degas ballerina for my Masters assignment!

Deb

SILKNSATIN
04-03-2005, 05:15 PM
Wow took me forever to see all the awesome artwork you all have done.Amazed :clap: :clap:
Judi I see ya got a bit of the figure drawing down pretty good in here :D
Ya i'm back to being late lol But i'm in. :wave:

Judi1957
04-03-2005, 05:31 PM
Hey all! :wave:

Vasil, Looking good and I agree w/ Deb on adding the values. Nice job! :)

Deb, Got the files, Thanks so much. :) You are doing so beautifully...and burning up the thread! :D

Bon, That looks wonderful! :clap: :clap:

Well, got a bit more done. Been running around today, so as usual, the weekend is sweeping by and I am not getting everything done I would like. :(

Jolanta
04-03-2005, 06:34 PM
Woooops! It looks like I messed up something. It is my fault I didn't take time to figure out how these classes are working. Forgive me. I really don't want to play smart or create any extra work and problems. I know very little about computers and nothing about technical stuff in it. If I like something I see I print it using selection button (picture or text) and use it. My intention was to use my examples and my explanation trying to help only. I am learning on my own and using everything I can put my hands on from all kind of sources.
I don't want to step in anybody shoes - believe me. I still want to help but don't quite know how. Should I post my ideas as separate new thread maybe? I cannot commit myself to run the class simply because day has only 24 hrs. My thinking was - if I am good at something I can add my instructions and my samples when the class is running so everybody can benefit from this too. I learn from everything and everybody I can get. We never can say we know it all.
Now let me spread some complemments here.
Vasil - you have a very good start. Didn't you say it took only 1 hr? Well it is great but if I can make a suggestion if you slow down a little you will be able to do much better. I make my students slow down a lot so they can see what pencil is doing, have a good control and have time to figure out what they are doing with every stroke.

Jolanta
04-03-2005, 06:44 PM
Sorry - I hit the wrong button and posted before I could finish.
Silknsatin - you have a great texture there. I want to reach and touch it.
Deb - this is a beautiful spiral - very good overall control and I love the mood in it - so delicate.
Jay - this is a great idea to streach the class to 2 weeks. Some of us are behind and you know how it goes. Once you get behind it is piling up very fast. You know I love great old masters works and I learned from them a lot. I have some ideas and examples and am pretty good with drawing hands. Didn't do feet yet - I make them wear shoes! Let me know how I can help.
Now cheer up - we all need you!!!
Jolanta

Mary Woodul
04-03-2005, 08:10 PM
Hi Barbara, nice to see you around! :D

Judi, I love the softness of your shading and your soldier is looking very good.

Thanks Sults, I hope you are feeling better. That's an awesome drawing of the nurse.

Hi Dave. :wave:

Jolanta, your drawings are masterpieces and I think we all appreciate your help. :)

Joe, your fold studies to me, are worthy of a frame. I would gladly hang one of those up in my house.

Deb, the same goes to you. What is it with you guys? :envy: I think I see what you mean about the half-lock.

Hi Ann. :wave:

Hi CJ. :wave:

Vasil, great to see you. I wish the boots on my statue looked like the boots on yours. :D

JayD, hands and feet, wow! :eek:

Bon, I hadn't seen your website. All I can say is that my admiration goes out to you. :clap: :clap: :clap:

JayD, I tried to fix the hat and hair that was bothersome but I don't know if I succeeded or not, it still looks awkward to me. I made the mistake of spraying a fixative over it and I can't erase it now. The face is not turned enough to the side either. I'll wait and see what you think, or the rest of you.

llanpe
04-03-2005, 08:21 PM
Jolanta, dont worry, you are doing fantastic and we all need your great advise.
Jay (thanks for your love :D :D ). I cant wait for the next lesson, HANDS AND FEET, what important they are!. Wish I have the time to be here. Good, now we have some more time with the lessons.
Judi going very nice, with that drawing.
Peter

Judi1957
04-03-2005, 09:00 PM
Hey All! :wave:

JayD :wave: We love you too...even the guys! :D

Hey Jolanta-you are doing a fantastic job here! :clap: :clap:

Mary, Good to see you. :wave: Thanks, But I wish my Dad was here to explain a couple of the areas of the rifle to me. :(

Your drawing is really nice! The folds look great! :clap: I think one problem is a few shadows in the neck near the top of the robe are missing and I think it needs the curvature where his neck meets his robe on the right side of the drawing to curve out and cut back on the left side of the neck a tad. The neck looks somewhat bulging, and I think if you do that, it won't. Maybe cut back the width of his robed arm near the elbow (right side of dwg) where it meets the underside of the folds at the elbow area. On the left side of the drawing, maybe cut the curvature of the robed area on the shoulder/upper arm so it goes down more and not be so rounded and out. Just my opinion.

Llanpe, Thanks! :) Good to have you with us!

Jolanta
04-03-2005, 09:51 PM
Judi,
I love it more and more. It has this wet look so I can see his body under. I wanted to try this effect long time ago. Now I am really motivated-thanks.
Peter - thanks - I don't worry - I just keep going......
Mlelevier-thanks a lot. I like your drawing. I see only his neck bending forward but if you don't go for exact likeness you don't have to change it. Some people can look like this. What I mean when I do commissions I aim for the best likeness I can get but with regular drawings if I make up the new person out of the ref. and is believable I am very happy with my creation. Working in realistic detailed way I cannot trust my imagination and memory completely. I need some ref. sometimes more then one to make it look right. Your drawing is very close to ref.
Jolanta

Judi1957
04-03-2005, 10:02 PM
Mary,
Sorry, sometimes I get carried away looking at details between a dwg and the ref. :o :o :o

Cathie Jones
04-03-2005, 10:41 PM
Deb, since this class is going another week, and Jolanta is adding more and more good stuff, how about waiting until the end to add to the PDF so we get it all?

Jolanta, thank you so much!!!

JayD, you may remember I said waaaaaay back that we're going on vacation in April . . . it's in two weeks. And if you think I'm gonna sit on a ship in Tahiti and draw hands and feet . . . . . well, just think again!! :D But I won't have to work that week, so maybe I can get some folds done!

llanpe
04-03-2005, 10:53 PM
Cathie, ohhhh : you are so lucky, holidays now! Enjoy and have a wonderful time :evil: why not practice some hands on holidays?, dont go anywhere without a sketch book :D
Peter

Deb Leger
04-03-2005, 11:11 PM
I will now be moving the class sessions to every two weeks as long as everyone is ok.

...and, as some or most of you know--I am dealing with some serious burn out and the loss of the Letter "D" which I stepped on and crushed last night.

Have fun--I love you all (yep, even you guys :evil: )--You are a great group of people to know and to work with. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hi Jay,

Two weeks is perfect by me! I often find one week not enough.

If you don't have a 'd', just use an 'x' instead and we'll know what you mean. :evil: If you start calling me Xeb, I'll know it's me and that it's not that you've taken on an evil kind of Klingon accent or anything. :D

Hope you're feeling better! You should sit back, put your feet up and sip a nice cup of weak jasmine tea. :wink2:

Deb, or Xeb. Whichever.

PS - CJ, I'll work on the pdf towards the middle of the week. I can't wait until the end because I'll then have two to do. :D So, I'll wait till more towards the middle of the week.

JayD
04-03-2005, 11:14 PM
Jo, are you kidding! Your input was a breath of fresh air. :) Basically, I just write up the subject matter to be covered--once you know the subject--for gosh sakes jump right in! I have no problem with that whatsoever--in fact, I wish more would.

Every two weeks I post the lesson subject--usually on a sunday around midnight--I then pm the moderator to sticky the class which happens sometime that morning. Then once it is posted--every body jumps in--if you want to lead a class--just let me post the subject for that class and then I will step back and you can take over if you want--just give me a heads up by PM.

I am just making sure that we stay on an organized path. So if you have any questions or concerns, just pm me.

Deb, a Tarheel is someone from or who lived for quite a while in North Carolina. :)

sultry
04-03-2005, 11:39 PM
Jay, I just read your last post and give you so much credit for being here with us from beginning even thou you have so many other things in your life besides 101. I being just a sub broke and had to step away, but you have stuck thru thick & thin. Even though my reasons may be personal health issues, you have your own mountain & yet your always here. So, Jay I do appreciate you and I whole heartedly understand how you could get a burn out. And as Judi says we DO LOVE YOU BACK. We also love your family for letting us share you.

I want you to know for me, I am not sure about the others, but I am sure they have success stories because of you. Just so you know, if not for you and your time, I would of never ever learned how to accept C&C & grow in my art. I could of studied on my own but I never had the desire or knew how to on my own. Not till, I took your course. I have branched out and studied other artists work and other tutorials. I give you credit for introducing me to discipline myself to study & practice. I also want to thank you for the encouraging of letting me express myself. I always wanted to but felt it may not be art but silly. Because of you, I now realize it is art and it is accepted. So what ever I do render, it is because of you. I remember reading of other artists praising a certain art teacher in their life and I always thought wow that would be so cool to be that dedicated and feel that great about a teacher. Now I can say, I do know how it feels and why someone could feel that way.

Jolanta, I read your teachings on folds and decided to darken mine. I hope you understand that Jay is saying is happy that you stepped in to give your expertise. It is a big help to him to have other artists step in and give their time and teachings.

Bon love your harem girl. Bon tell her how much Jay praised your wonderful teachings.

Judi your soldier is really coming out 3d and shows such feeling.

Hiyas CJ, how fun, take plenty of pics to show us. The dancers are so colorful and would be beautiful watercolor paintings.

Mary your statue looks great.

Vasil that is a good start and I agree with Jolanta push your darks.

Deb your turning into a fold masterette.

Hiyas Peter, your great at rendering folds too.

Cathie Jones
04-03-2005, 11:48 PM
WOW Sults!! You really brought that face to life!

Peter, there's still room on the boat. It's a jazz cruise - three bands on board, 6 days cruising the islands. And you better believe I'll have a camera in one hand and a sketchbook in the other. (Pencil between my teeth??) LOL

Judi1957
04-04-2005, 06:43 AM
Morning All :wave:

Jolanta, Thanks. :)

Sults, :clap: :clap:

CJ, I'm packing my bags! Sounds so wonderful! :envy:

I think I am finally near stage 2 on this one. Well over 4 hours into it on the good paper. It probably wouldn't be so long if I wasn't looking at it thru the magnifier lamp, but then the details certainly wouldn't be so apparent. The rifle needs more work yet.
C & C welcome and appreciated.

mothsailor
04-04-2005, 07:07 AM
Mary, your statue looks good. Could you do some more on the statue's left sleeve, do you think?

Sults, amazing! I thought it was good before, but the face especially is so much more alive!

Judi, your work is really coming along well.

CJ, hmm, drawing the folds on a grass skirt should be an interesting challenge. :D

I'm glad we've got a second week, because I haven't had time to do any more work on this. I'm hoping to have time to go and do some drawing in the Ashmolean Museum's cast gallery tomorrow. If I can pluck up the courage to draw in public! :eek:

idcrisis55
04-04-2005, 07:18 AM
Good Morning Everyone (my wave isn't working this morning, it must be Monday rofl).

Just checking in to let you know I'm in the background, reading, watching, enjoying all of your hard work which is paying off big time.

Jay, everyone has said pretty much what I feel but, want you to know that if I could pull a glowing a star down and give it to you, I would! You have been the best for giving help, sharing your knowledge, pushing us to practice and learn and just being there. Thanks for making the classes two weeks too.

I have an hour or so and will start drawing. I looked for women statues this morning and found one of the Pioneer Woman that is located in Ponca City, Oklahoma. The photos aren't great though so will try to work around that.

Needless to say I'm really thankful for Basic Drawing 101, you Jay, the more experienced artists that come in with help and share their knowledge and all my classmates which makes this one of the best fun places to learn and grow as an artist. So here this is for all of you :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ann

sultry
04-04-2005, 07:40 AM
Hiyas Judi, I studied your soldier and I see you are following the values and have them pretty well figured out. I only see one thing, your darkest dark (black) is not large enough in some areas is all. If you make the black geo shapes larger it will give your piece more depth. I have provided a close up for you to see what I mean.
First place is the left side of the face (his right) it looks like a rectangle (vertical) that blends out to a up side down triangle. Second place is the right side (his left) under his helment a smaller rectangle that blends out to a diamond shape. Also, by the eyes. If you were to make the black larger it will give more depth. I think your doing great in all other areas and do not see any other places to make it black.

Thanks Dave :wave:

Hiyas Ann :wave:

Oh, Jay I just remembered here I am praising you so much and forgot to elect you mentor. So I am doing that right now.

mothsailor
04-04-2005, 07:44 AM
Jay, I've been trying to write suitable words to express my gratitude to you. It's difficult to do you justice, so it's taking me a long time! I think I'm just going to have to settle for saying I think you are an exceptional person in so many ways: generous with your time and your advice, a great motivator, so welcoming and appreciative of others' input. Sults put it really well. I agree with her!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

idcrisis55
04-04-2005, 10:11 AM
Hi again :D

This is what I began this morning. I decided to draw Sequoyah, who was the inventor of the Cherokee syllabary, because his statue had more folds. :evil: The photo is small and had to enlarge so it may not show very clearly.

This may not be the best way to work this drawing but I started with the height and width and am basically looking at shapes. I have yet to draw in any folds. This is rough so far.

Good to see you posting Sults!

Ann

Judi1957
04-04-2005, 12:13 PM
Thanks Dave. :)

Hey Sults :wave: , Thanks and you are absolutley correct. Matthew looked at it the other night and commented on the resemblence in the mouth and cheek area to my Dad. I am in search of my Dad's military pic and I hope to put his face in. I know it is upstairs 'somewhere' :rolleyes: . After I do that I will be adding the darks.

Hi Ann! :wave: Looking good so far. :clap:

idcrisis55
04-04-2005, 02:30 PM
Hi Judi :wave: Ha! I had to type in the wave lol.

Thanks for the comment on my beginning. It certainly makes a difference looking at the photo and the sketch/drawing side by side. I can see what needs to be changed.

Your drawing is coming along beautifully. How cool you are going to draw the face of your Dad in this.

Later!
Ann

sultry
04-04-2005, 02:46 PM
Hiyas Judi & Ann,
Judi that will be really cool to do your fathers face. I can't wait to see the completion of it.

Ann, you are starting off really well on your piece and I do admire the statue you picked.

Well, I was not happy with my eye on this and so I read my JD Hillberry book on eyes and tried to make it look wet. I hope I succeeded. I also realized I needed to lighten the shadows and make the pupil larger. Question Jolanta, do I need to lighten the dress? It supposed to be leopard print and it has a shawl with it on the hanger.

idcrisis55
04-04-2005, 03:30 PM
Hi Sults & thanks :D I hope to work more on my drawing tonight, at least getting the folds in place.

Wow, what a difference from the one I saw before. Love how this drawing has a glisten to it.

Ann

Jolanta
04-04-2005, 03:41 PM
Hi,
Jay - thanks a lot for letting me come in when I feel the need. I am beginning to know you better and better from reading what people think about you. You are so special!!!I am glad I can work with you on the class and help some.
Everybody is doing so well!!!
Judi - if you need to darken something to the darkest darks it will be difficult to get it with graphite pencils. When I go as dark as I can I still get this silvery look and a loooot of shine which I don't like. I am using watercolor ivory black pencil to do the eyes pupils and the darkest spots. But be careful and go easy at first - it will give you a bit diff. look but very dark. Play with it and see if you like it. Great idea to turn him into your father.

Sults - when you posted the dark looks you scared me! It is so easy to go too far since we enjoy it so much. One of the most difficult things to do in art is to know when to stop. It is good to take breaks often and look at it from the distance. With our nose next to drawing there is no way we can see how the values work. Sometimes I want to set up alarm clock every 1/2hr to remind me to stop and look from the distance. I tend to loose myself completely in the process of drawing.
Now Sults I think you finished and it looks great. If you want to doodle more you can start something else.

Ann - you have a good start but before you work more on the face I want you to take another look at the statue. The photo was taken from below. When I look at the statue I see a tall and proud man (I don't mean in inches). Your eye level is below so his face has a little of forshortening. Which means it looks like his chin is up, head a bit tilted to the back and this makes the nose look shorter, mouth closer to the nose and longer neck. Your drawing is very small so it would be hard to do but maybe you can use this information for the future. So far so good. Show us some folds.
Jolanta

idcrisis55
04-04-2005, 05:22 PM
Hi Jolanta, thanks for taking the time to help me out. I knew as soon as I saw the photo and the drawing/sketch side by side that it wasn't right :( I just wasn't totally sure what all was wrong and thanks to you, I can look at it and hopefully see it better. Before I post the next time I'll look st the photos first to see if anything jumps out at me. I will start the folds too but I am such a scaredy cat, I am being very hesitant when laying down lines (thank goodness for erasers. :D) I know that is my own delemma, created by my not practicing enough.

The drawing will be approximately 3" x 8". Perhaps it is a bit too small for the detail in the face.

Thanks again :D and I'll work hard!
Ann

JayD
04-04-2005, 07:03 PM
Jo, no thank YOU--this is a great refreshing change for the class. This class only works IF discussion takes place and so fresh viewpoints are always welcome. It is a very Socratic process.

Cathie, you are not getting away THAT easily. I have TWO assignments for you besides the obligatory having of the fun:

1. Keepa sketch log of your trip--whatever you want to put in it--be as loose and as free as you want and remember to sketch people with hand and feet!

2. Remember that class I wanted you to lead? Well, its time girl. I want you to do a "slide show" for us of your trip==post your sketches and tell us about it. We have not covered on site sketching so this will be a good time to do it. The class' job will be to join into the discussion and then share some of their own sketches.

Have fun and don't forget to think about us often!!!!! :)

Cathie Jones
04-04-2005, 07:32 PM
Uh Oh! I'm scared now, JayD. :D

How about this . . . I'll be getting back the 24th, which is a Sunday, and should be at the end of the hands/feet lesson. I'll need some time to get unpacked and back to reality (and work!). So how about posting another lesson then, and we'll do sketching after that. Will you post a sketching lesson as usual and then I'll do the 'slide show?"

Sure do wish we'd had the sketch lesson sooner . . . you know, that's why I signed up for this class. But I've been practicing a little and think I can do it.

Judi1957
04-04-2005, 07:35 PM
All right :clap: :clap: ...we're all going on vacation w/ CJ ond her DH!

Edited after cross post: Oh well, Guess not.... :( :( :(

CJ, Go and have a great time! :D

jmfletch
04-04-2005, 07:47 PM
Judi - Making it your Dad is fantastic! It is looking good. Sorry I don't know much about rifles, but you might do a net search. At that time I believe the Army used M-1's.

Mary - Looking good! :clap:

Bon - You are very creative!! Nice work! :clap:

Sults - WOW!!! I need one of CJ's icon with the jaw hitting the floor! You are getting good, woman!!!

Ann - Nice start.

JayD - All I can say is that besides all of us who are actively working these lessons, there has to be 10's more who are lurking but learning as well and we all owe you a great debt. You will never know how many lives you have touched through these efforts. Thanks.
Walk in Peace,
Joe

Here's my latest..it is a rough sketch I did after reading the various discussions on mechanical pencils. It is 3"x5" and was done with a 3mm Pentel.

I usually mostly switch back and forth between Ebony and woodless graphite pencils/sticks in the soft range (2B, 4B, 6B or 9B) depending on the phase of the moon. :D I have to say I am surprised by the darks I was able to get with a 3mm HB lead. Another weapon for the arsenal! :evil: Seriously I often take a sketch book to school and normally use plain old school style 2B wooden pencils, now I will go armed with my array of Pentel's (which I dug out of my dusty old briefcase). I have 3mm, 5mm, 7mm and 9mm so I am planning to play with them all ... as soon as I stop procastinating and finish the Statue of Liberty for this week's lesson.

Joe

SILKNSATIN
04-04-2005, 09:44 PM
JayD sure is special :clap:
Sults what a change (yike) :clap:
Joe I love that :clap:
Some many different styles of folds and they are all fun to do.

cmwynn
04-04-2005, 09:52 PM
I have been so impressed by all the drawings in this lesson. I know I should try to post more, but just loading a page can take as long as 10 minutes. The DSL lines are inching their way out to this part of the county, maybe in a few months I will have that.

Jay - I want to add my appreciation for you to this thread. I was doing some drawing with the Weekly Drawing, but didn't know squat about starting a fresh drawing, just doing something that was not a copy. You have helped me and so many others, there is no way to measure that. Please notify other people like Jolanta to help you, we certainly don't want you to burn out.

Jolanta - the part of the lesson you have added is so helpful, please join in when you can. I am going to try one of those Durer drawings - at least the part you picked out. No way I would try a whole picture with all his detail.

Judi1957
04-04-2005, 09:57 PM
Nice rough sketch! You got a lot of detail in a 3 X 5! :clap: :clap:

Gee Joe, I thought you would bail me out on the rifle :D
I did a search for a rifle, then I realized my brothers would most likely know exactly what type it is. I'll be calling them. (The problem is just the one area near the center, there is an odd looking thing there, I think it is bullets, but not sure. :confused: I did find nice combat boots in the search :D

Hi Bon and Connie! :wave:

sultry
04-04-2005, 10:27 PM
Hiyas Joe, Bon, Connie, Jay, Jolanta & CJ :wave:
Be safe on your trip CJ & buy some art supplies there just to have as a workable souviniour.
Jolanta ty for your comments and I appreciate your help on my folds. I have been told by someone to put more contrast in it, so I have asked her to explain what she means, so I may be doing more work on this after she answers me. lol She is a great portrait artist by the way, so I do appreciate her comments.

Tank Yas Joe & I do like how Lady Liberty; I know she will be beautiful because your rendering her. Great shot too. I like the view picked. I used mech pencils too, I love the 7mm med. it gives me such great darks.

Judi I am so happy your doing your dad, its such a wonderful way to remember great moments with him.

Bon gee ty gf

Connie you did so many wonderful fold studies, you planning on adding more?

JayD
04-04-2005, 10:41 PM
Hi, everybody--thank you all for the kind words--you know that you and this class mean a lot to me. CJ--do you have a blush icon?

BUT

Deb and I are cookin up something even better for when this class ends or something like that so stay tooned! :evil:

DONT EVEN THINK to try to get it out of Deb--She aint talkin! :D

CJ--that will be fine and by the way--you have been sketiching the entire time you just probably did not realize it. Your drawings have improved ten fold as have the other members.

The key is NOT to think about drawing but to focus on your subject and let your mind and your hands work together with your eyes. Look, observe, draw--be loose and relaxed. You have been doing that the WHOLE time.

Yes, I will write up the introduction as usual and we will wait eagerly to see the "slides" from your trip. :)

I think the class we will do while you are away will be title:

THE MIGHTY BUTTOCKS: THE VIEW FROM BEHIND :D :D

Jolanta
04-04-2005, 11:09 PM
Hi again,
Thanks so much for all your nice words. I must be getting old and wise. It comes automatically with age right? Every time I read something here I feel like I want to say something. I love to talk. OK let's get back to business.
Joe - you did pretty good but can you please make the eyes on the same level, one is higher than the other. I can see your excitement about mechanical pencils and I like them too. I personally use them when I need nice crisp line in details. I wouldn't recommend them for sketching unless you are very good with hatching and crosshatching for shading. Sketching is a quick loose drawing capturing the essence of the subject with just enough details to show what we can use later in actual painting or real drawing. If you use mechanical pencil for sketching I am afraid you will not be able to do it simply because this skinny tip takes long time to draw what you need, specially shading. I think Judi is doing her beautiful drawing with mechanical pencil and it takes her a lot of time to do it right. I recommend regular graphite pencil or woodless graphite. Did you try "Sketch and Wash"? You draw with it ,you spit (sorry) on it, smear it and you have instant shading in wash. This is just my suggestion. You will do what you like.

Jay - did you cover in your classes all kinds of pencils and what they are best for? I have a nice list I can provide if needed.
Enough for now. See you soon
Jolanta

Deb Leger
04-04-2005, 11:11 PM
Deb and I are cookin up something even better for when this class ends or something like that so stay tooned! :evil: DONT EVEN THINK to try to get it out of Deb--She aint talkin! :D

:evil: :evil: :evil:

I think the class we will do while you are away will be title:
THE MIGHTY BUTTOCKS: THE VIEW FROM BEHIND :D :D Male tushies! Nice. :angel:

Judi1957
04-04-2005, 11:24 PM
Is this the Class you two are working on? :D

Deb Leger
04-04-2005, 11:45 PM
Joe, that's a fine statue of liberty! You've got some great folds in there and some excellent darks! Almost makes me wish I'd chosen that pic. (I'm doing the other "old girl" and after this break, I need to go and put her ear in a different place.) I bought some of those ebony pencils on ebay and they're really nice - you can get some good darks with them and when shooting a pic later, you don't get as much reflection as with regular graphite, do you find? I also love those woodless graphite pencils. I'm going to have to get a mechanical pencil though. Lots of people here in the DS forum seem to like them a lot!

Jolanta, we love having you here! I think we have a lesson on washes coming up later. You're going to teach us how to spit? (Talk about leaving part of yourself on the drawing! :evil: ) I'd love to see what you use different pencils for.

Connie, are you meaning that loading one of your pictures to post here takes ten minutes? Wow! What if you were to email that pic to me? Would it take that long to attach it to an email? Then I could load it for you, if you like. (You're going to love dsl!)

Judi, that's great that you're doing that pic as your Dad! When I get good at doing portraits, I want to do one of my Dad. He died in '95 and I miss him!! Wish I could help you out on those rifles, but I'm not much into them. I fired one once, but that's about all the experience I've had with them. (It was a big one for moose hunting. Thirty odd six or something.)

Sults, that eye is awesome! It looks perfect! And that eyebrow looks great, too!!! I'm glad you're back.

Jay, thanks for explaining "tarheel" - I'd never have guessed! I was thinking more towards oil fields. :D

Ann, you're off to a fine start with your statue! I just know it's going to turn out great. Just like your paintings always do! Are you a Grandmum yet?

Bon, that's an awesome drawing!

Mary, your statue looks great. I think that if the area under his chin was a bit darker, it wouldn't seem to come forward there? (Mine is not a very good opinion on portraits, though!) His head is tilted a bit different than the statue but I think on his own, he looks good. Good folds too.

CJ - have a great trip! Gee, think of all the tushies you're going to miss while you're away! :evil:

Deb

Judi1957
04-04-2005, 11:55 PM

Thanks Deb. :) I found my Dad's military pic and I think it'll be a bit emotional to do.

Question...does the rear boot look too small?

Cathie Jones
04-04-2005, 11:58 PM
CJ - have a great trip! Gee, think of all the tushies you're going to miss while you're away! :evil:
Deb

Um, Deb . . . I'm goin' to Tahiti.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2005/23460-germanhulatiny.gif

Bet I see more gorgeous tushies than you guys do -- live ones -- dancing in skimpy costumes -- with fire!!!! WOOHOO! Don't know if I can wait until the 16th!!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2005/23460-smiley_devil.gif

Deb Leger
04-05-2005, 12:04 AM
Um, Deb . . . I'm goin' to Tahiti.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2005/23460-germanhulatiny.gif

Bet I see more gorgeous tushies than you guys do -- live ones -- dancing in skimpy costumes -- with fire!!!! WOOHOO! Don't know if I can wait until the 16th!!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2005/23460-smiley_devil.gif

ROTFLOL! Oh yeah! Guess you "will" see more than the rest of us put together! Now I really am :envy: !

Where do you get all those smileys? I need some!

mothsailor
04-05-2005, 03:30 AM
Joe, Good job on Liberty.

Judi, the length of the foot is generally about the same size as the length of the head (not including the helmet!), so I don't think you're far off, if at all.

sultry
04-05-2005, 07:16 AM
Morning guys & gals,
Judi, Dave is correct & remember you are forshortening from the angle you are drawing Dear Ole Daddy. :)
I like the values you have added to this also Judi, on the pants and boot. :clap:
Edited to say Dave I like your new Avator
& Dang Jay & Deb I am really curious now.

Judi1957
04-05-2005, 07:31 AM
Thanks Dave & Sults,
I thought it was OK, but wanted to double check.

Jolanta, I'll pick up the pencil today and give it a try. Thanks. I would like to see your pencil list, hope you post it here. :)

See ya all later,

JayD
04-05-2005, 09:03 AM
Joe, nice job on the statue of Liberty. Of course you know the REAL story of the Statue and why the French are not keen on Americans. Most people attribute to our generally Nouveau Riche arrogance but in truth, the story actually goes back to the creation of the statue itself and a young american shipping clerk by the name of Silas Hopewell. Hopewell worked for the company that manufactured the Statue of Liberty. As you also know there where TWO statues made--one for us and one for France. When Hopewell shipped the statue he sent the wrong one--IN FACT, we were supposed to get the little more touristy version. Instead, France got the itty bitty one we got the giant--an THAT, for all of their mobile assertions is why the French genrally do not like the Americans. :D ---ps--NOT a true story! :D

Judi--the class that we are talking about is an entire series that will be the sequel to 101.

Judi1957
04-05-2005, 12:32 PM
You and Deb are really enjoying the suspense way too much! :D :D

Whatever it is, I am sure it will be as rewarding as 101 has been! :angel:

JayD
04-05-2005, 12:43 PM
:evil: WA HA HA HA HA!!!! :evil:

SILKNSATIN
04-05-2005, 02:29 PM
CJ & Deb :p :p :p
Have a wonderful time and a safe trip cathie.
Wow Judi this is amazing. :clap:

Mary Woodul
04-05-2005, 05:40 PM
I don't know how I got so behind in two days but I have been fighting with an image transfer that I am putting on a painting. :mad: Besides that I have a terrible crick in my neck. :crying:

Jay, I want to put in my 2 cents about you. Besides being and extraordinary person and putting so much dedication into this class, you have really taught a lot of us things we never imagined we could do. You are also a very funny person and have made this class something to look forward to everyday. I am already anxiously waiting for the surprise you have for us. :D

Judi, Jolanta, Dave, Joe, Ann, Sultry and Deb, thank you for your suggestions and I will start working on my man again tomorrow, keeping them in mind.

CJ... :envy: ....have a wonderful trip. :wave:

Judi, your soldier is looking great.
Dave, I love your new avatar.
Ann, the statue you picked is just marvelous and I am sure it is going to be a great drawing.

Joe, you surely have been busy, and excelling as usual. I love your statue.

Sultry, How are you feeling? You have a way with faces. Your drawing is looking very good. :D

rosebard
04-05-2005, 06:35 PM
HI Guys,

There are a lot of beautiful stuff here. Couldnt see all, but from the ones I saw, you guys are drawing fantastic. WoW!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Just playing around here. I holded a silk cloth and from life I sketched this. Couldnt do better, It was too hard to hold for long. Got a heavy piece of cloth. Going to read the lesson and practice. I think my main problem is to control the graphite. Work with black, grey and white is not easy for me, and plus the pencil is hard for me to use than a brush.But I will keep trying to get better. Sure one day I will.

:wave:

jmfletch
04-05-2005, 06:45 PM
Thanks to all for the kind words.

Jolanta - As that drawing was more a mechanical pencil experiment, I don't think I will go back and change it, but will pay special attention to the eyes on the final drawing. Thanks!

CJ - Enjoy!! Will wait patiently to see your sketch diary

Joe

jmfletch
04-05-2005, 07:22 PM
One other point for those who were interested in the magazine "Drawing Board".

I emailed them and asked the status. Here is their reply...

"We're currently working on an issue of Drawing Board magazine--it should be out this June, so keep your eyes on our Website for its release. We appreciate your interest.
All the best,
The Artist's Magazine"

Joe

Judi1957
04-05-2005, 07:23 PM
Hey JayD :wave:

Hey CJ -Are you going to draw those little tushies for us to enjoy as well???? :evil: You really deserve this vacation...you work so hard!

Thanks Bon & Mary. :)

Mary, hope your neck feels better soon!

Deb, I am so sorry you lost your Dad too. It's leaves such a big hole in life.

Dave, I love your new avatar too!

Rose, So nice to have you here! I love your drawing and the hand is KAV as well!!!! :clap: :clap:

KAV...Makes me think of Gina, thought she was coming back after she popped in last class. :(

Hey Joe :music:
Jolanta Got the watercolor ivory black pencil , gonna check it out. :D

Judi1957
04-05-2005, 07:26 PM
That is great you checked this out Joe on the Drawing Board Magazine, Thanks so much for the info!

sultry
04-05-2005, 09:23 PM
Hiyas Mary, Rose, Judi & Joe :wave:
Mary I feel better today just a slight headache but managable. Hope you feel better though, neck aches are hard to do anything with.

Rose great hand as Judi said. I like the composition of you piece also.

Joe thanks for finding that out about the magazine.

Judi, I am now really CURIOUS about what the Devil Teach & his sidekick are cooking up for us. lol

Ok, I told Judi about this but I have to ask you Jay per my BF. and believe me I feel silly asking.

He wants to know what is the correct way to sign a piece & lol this is the part I feel silly asking about.

Where do we write the titles on it? I am not sure I told him. I told him I know for sure not on the front. lol He said well how do we know that the Mona Lisa is the Mona Lisa? where is the title on it? I know it is on a little plate under it.
The reason he is asking me, is because he told me my work is improving on each piece I work on and he wants me to put titles on them before I put them in my beautiful portfolio he bought me. So, Dear Teach do you know where the title goes?

JayD
04-05-2005, 09:39 PM
Interesting question, Sults--I personally sign my pieces in the lower right hand corner which is what a lot of artists do but, really there is no hard and fast rule.

I usually type of a title on a little card with

Name of Piece
Artist (er...that would be me)
Date of completion
Medium

Again, no hard or fast rules.

When entering a competition you should consults the rules of that competition as there may be specific rules of etiquette for you to follow. :)

Judi1957
04-05-2005, 09:55 PM
Oh, Just like a quilt label only there no medium is necessary ;)

Oh yeh, I have yet proclaim my undying admiration for you JayD like the rest of the class.
BIG KISS! Thanks for all you do! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :D

Deb Leger
04-05-2005, 10:41 PM
Rose, you did an awesome job on your hand and the cloth looks good, too! I found the same thing at first when drawing, it was hard for me to work in just the grays and blacks. My but that hand looks good!

Judi, it sure does leave a hole.

Joe, that's great news about the Drawing Board! When checking for back issues, it was the only one, so I thought it was off the market. I'm glad they're going to do another. Wish it was regular though. Thanks for checking!

Sults, Sults, Sults. Devil teach and his sidekick? :angel: :angel: :angel:

I think writing the title on your work is a good idea. Your bf is so encouraging and that's great! Will you be matting them when you put them into the portfolio? The little card would stick well on the back of the mat. I like to stick a little info paper like that on the backing of the frame if it's a watercolour painting.

I thought I'd post mine so far. Jay, I totally forgot about drawing the figure first, then adding clothes. I'm so used to drawing shapes that that's what I did. :o Sorry! I've just realized that as I was shooting it to post. Please do NOT look at the head - it will be greatly changed. :D :D I know the features are way off. I'm leaving it until the last. Maybe I'll do what I do with my other figures, leave the face empty. :D (In fact, I'm going to erase it now so the next shot won't be so embarrassing.)

I'm putting the first shot, too, which shows the basic shape in there, as well as the page quartered off. (The pic was too.) (Just saw it in the preview - that face is baaaaaad! I'm leaving here it 'specially for Rui. :evil: )

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2005/11775-1.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2005/11775-3.JPG

Judi1957
04-05-2005, 11:01 PM
Hi Deb :wave:
Wow, I think you picked the toughest one of all. I saw the embossed 'material' of her gown and ran the other way!
I can't wait to see this one! Uh-h-h how many is that for you this class?, seems like a dozen. Way to go! :clap: :clap:

Mary Woodul
04-05-2005, 11:07 PM
Hiyas Mary, Rose, Judi & Joe :wave:

The reason he is asking me, is because he told me my work is improving on each piece I work on and he wants me to put titles on them before I put them in my beautiful portfolio he bought me. So, Dear Teach do you know where the title goes?

Sults, I don't think there is a rule to where you sign your work, usually I do it on the bottom right and it should be very discreet. I write the information like the title, size and medium on the back of the canvas and for a show then I use a card like what JayD and Deb are talking about. :wave:

idcrisis55
04-06-2005, 02:14 PM
Wow, away one day and this thread grows rapidly lol.

CJ, have a really fine time on your trip. Tahiti sounds like the perfect place to relax and regroup. Don't let Jay overwork you on your trip :evil: :angel: by sketching all of the time lol. I'm looking forward to seeing your pics and hearing about your trip on your return.

Joe, I wish my rough sketches looked like this. You did great and love those folds. You did a great job on the Lady.

Connie, I tried to get DSL through our phone company and couldn't get it either. Living in a rural area has its perks but DSL isn't one of them. Maybe someday soon for both of us. My pics don't take that long to load on dail-up so I would be happy to upload them too anytime you want to e-mail them to me. I know Deb made the offer too, but I'm here too as a back-up if you need one :D

Jolanta, I for one would be interested in reading your pencil list and their uses. I found your comment on the mechanical pencil interesting as that is what I used on the first sketch of Sequoyah for this class. I've since switched to a #2H just to lay in shapes.

Hiya Deb, if I take Moose off your hands will you tell me about the new project :evil: :evil: :D ha, ha. Thanks for the comment on the start of my class drawing but I have since started a larger rendition lol. No, not a Grandmum yet (well I am in real life :D). The cat hasn't delivered yet but hope it is soon as she is getting soooo wide and sleeps a lot.

Judi, your drawing is coming along just beautifully. I bet you are getting tired of me saying that lol. Such a great flow to those folds. Will the drawing of your Dad be a different one or will you incorporate him into this drawing? I think I missed seeing a post about this.

Hi Mary :wave: Hope that crick in your neck has eased up. Is the image transfer a gel transfer? I was reading about gel transfers in the Acrylics Forum. Thanks for the comment on my class drawing/sketch too :)

Rose, wow, drawing this while holding the cloth. That must have been straining. You did great with the softness of the mid-tones and darks plus drawing your hand. I enjoyed this a lot.

Again, I hope I haven't missed anyone's work as I do so enjoy seeing what has been done.

Jolanta, I decided to start Sequoyah on a larger piece of paper. It is a quarter sheet 140# Fabriano Uno Cold Press watercolor paper which is smoother than Arches. This time I have been using a #2H pencil to lay in the shapes.

I think the face is better but have really been struggling with the mouth and eye areas. The eyes are not very clear so I am having to guess. Still much more work needed there. I think I have the chin almost right though darks and finer shading are needed all around. Before I actually begin the finer work though I did want to at least get the shapes done. You can see I am only halfway through the figure. I hope it is dark enough so it can be seen fairly well.

We were under Tornado watch last night so after it passed I work until midnight on this drawing as I was just too nervous to go to sleep lol. We did have quite a light show with the electrical storm but Thank Goodness, no tornado touched down.

I'll post the photo again as well so you all can compare the two. I hope the Fabriano holds up to lots of erasing :evil: :D

JayD
04-06-2005, 06:49 PM
ATTENTION EVERYONE:

Celia has posted her brand new DRAWING ChILDREN Guest Lecture in the Guest Lecture Hall at Artgraphica.net. Be sure to stop over there and dont forget to check out the ohter lectures as well.

WE ARE ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ARTIST TO CONTRIBUTE TO THE GUEST LECTURE SERIES AND IF YOU THINK YOU WOULD BE INTERESTED PLEASE CONTACT EITHER MYSELF OR GAVIN (ZARATHRUSTRA).

JOLANTA, WOULD YOU BE INTERESTED IN DOING A GUEST LECTURE AT ARTGRAPHICA? :evil:

Judi1957
04-06-2005, 07:11 PM
Hi Mary :wave:
I agree on the signature being descreet. I try to tuck it in the work if I can on the lower right.

Hi Ann :wave:
You are doing a wonderful job! :clap: I am so glad you didn't have a tornado touch down. Is this tornado season out there?
Luckily Dad's pic is at a similar angle as the ref. I'll attach the ref so you can see. It's from a newspaper article.

Hey JayD, Missing you around here! :(
I'll go check out Celia's Drawing Children.

Jolanta you are missed too :(

JayD
04-06-2005, 07:56 PM
Judi, I am around--I am watching everything unfold.

Mary Woodul
04-06-2005, 08:24 PM
Hi! :wave: Yes Ann, I was trying an acrylic gel transfer that didn't work as well as one I had done with a transparency and metalic acrylic paint. I'll just try again. Ann I am so glad the tornado didn't touch down, you can't imagine the fear I have of those things since I was raised in a non existent tornado environment. We lived in Thibodaux, LA for a year and everytime there was a thunderstorm, I would freak out. Your drawing is looking very good. I love the shading.

Judi, your Dad was so handsome and you must feel very proud of him.

Hi JayD! :wave:

JayD
04-06-2005, 09:14 PM
HIIII, Mary!!! :wave:

Jolanta
04-06-2005, 10:50 PM
Hi,
How is everybody? Sorry, I got lost for a while but I have only two hands to take care of everything and sometimes I feel like I could use extra set.
Deb - you have a very good start. I kind of like the expression but it doesn't go with the rest haha! I know you will make it great.
Ann - I like this one much better. Look at his gentle smile! Aren't you glad you draw bigger?
Judi your dad looks so handsome - you got to use his face. That's an order.
Joy - you kidding? I cannot keep up with you here!!! When I find a minute I will take a look to see what you are talking about.
OK everybody - you asked for it. You probably know most of it but you can print it if you like and have it handy when you need it. It can be tricky when we choose the wrong tool or surface and have to fight it all the way.

GRAPHITE PENCILS (shine) come in different hardness from 9H to 9B and are used for different values. Traditionally several pencils are recommended for drawing - 6B for dark areas, HB for middle value and 4H for finely detailed, lighter areas. You can go from very dark to quite fine light detail with only HB too. Only if you want to put things into the distance and still have great detail in them you should use 2H or 4H. Or, rather than changing pencils, you can vary the pressure. I use hard 4H for shading children and babies faces.
Graphite pencils are very good for sketching.

MECHANICAL PENCILS - no need for sharpening. Great for hatching and crosshatching just like Old Masters did but they were using SILVERPOINT which is drawing with the wire end.

WOODLESS PENCILS come in different hardness and are great for sketching

GRAPHITE STICKS - to cover large areas, effective on textured paper, they give drawing more painterely style.

GRAPHITE POWDER - for background, shading, drawing with blender dipped in powder. You can scrape pencil or stick to make your own.

SKETCH AND WASH PENCILS - to make washes. It is water soluble

SKETCHING FLAT GRAPHITE PENCILS OR CARPENTER'S PENCILS - give you wide even line, you can notch them to get interesting effects (see attachment). Don't use them on smooth surface, they work better on textured paper.

EBONY PENCILS - Ebony 6325 can be as black as ink - good for smooth surface.

CARBON PENCILS -matte finish - dark. Come in different hardness. Don't go easy over graphite pencils.

WATERCOLOR BLACK PENCIL - for very deep darks, for eye pupil - hard to erase

CHARCOAL PENCILS come in soft, medium and hard. DERWENT comes in Light and Dark. Perfect for sketches. Charcoal comes in Sticks of different thickness and hardiness, POWDER - for backgrounds and large areas.
WHITE charcoal pencils is actually white pastel pencil - perfect for highlights or drawing on tinted paper.

ERASERS - are another tool for drawing. Use them for highlights, cut them in pieces and draw with them by lifting or using like pencil

RAZER BLADE - another tool for drawing by scraping away color.(see attachment)

The way you hold the pencil greatly influences the kind of marks you can make. Practice shading not only with the tip but with the side of the pencil. Some people have problem holding pencil by grabbing from above and shading with the side.

You can tie with rubber band three pencils together to draw with them at the same time and build fast textures,crosshatching or graceful lines (see attachment)

The surface you draw on will affect the look of strokes (see attachment)

Here you have it. I hope you are still awake. Didn't have time to make a poem out of it. Hope you can use it. Try and play with diff. papers and diff. pencils and see what you like before you choose the favorite one. You never know until you try and they are cheap. Every time I start new drawing I need to know what kind of technique and looks I want and what kind of paper and pencil will do the job. Takes a lot of stress away and I can really enjoy it.

Keep practice everybody
Jolanta

Judi1957
04-06-2005, 11:05 PM
Hi Jolanta! :wave:
I'm still awake, but barely, cause it is late, not from your post :) .
Thanks for posting the pencil explainations and the demonstation. The three pencil trick was pretty neat :D

Quote from Jolanta- "That's an Order"
Reply-"YES Ma'am!!!" (Thanks, he was a very handsome wonderful man)
I am working on that tomorrow, to tired, mistakes will for sure happen.

Nite.

idcrisis55
04-07-2005, 08:48 AM
Good Morning Everyone! Hope your day is off to a great start :D

Thanks all of you for the comments on the new beginning of Sequoyah.

Yes Judi, it is tornado season in Oklahoma - usually Spring and Fall. I have never been in one and hopefully won't ever be. They are very scary things.

Great pic of your handsome Dad Judi and as you said, will work great in the pose you started.

Mary, I found that gel transfer thread interesting and hope to try it one day soon myself. Good luck with yours. Thanks for your comments on the drawing too :) I'm with you on the tornadoes and even ferocious (sp?) thunderstorms. They make me wish I could time travel lol.

Jolanta, thanks for the pencil info! I found the carpenter's pencil's notched and the three tied together interesting. Will have to try those on some scrap paper. I did slice off an eraser which works pretty good for small areas.

Ann

mothsailor
04-07-2005, 05:44 PM
Just so you know I haven't dropped of the face of the earth, here is a beginning of a drawing of Queen Vic. Hope to finish it tomorrow.

I'm going to do a two-day watercolour course next week. Can't wait!! :D

BTW, I'm glad you like my new avatar. It's a drawing by Raphael that's in the Ashmolean Museum here in Oxford. Which reminds me, I must choose my master to do a copy of. There are so many I would like to do!

Judi1957
04-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Hey Dave, :wave:
Nice start on the Queen!

Have a great watercolor course! :)
Masters project. yeah, there are a lot of wonderful one's to choose from. :confused: Decisions, decisions.

Mary Woodul
04-07-2005, 08:30 PM
Jolanta, wonderful demo, thank you!
Hi Judi, :wave:
Ann, I'll let you know how the transfer goes. :confused:
Dave, Queen Victoria is looking good.

sultry
04-07-2005, 09:50 PM
Jolanta wow thank you for that great info.
Hi Ann,Judi & Mary :wave:
Dave great start on your Queen, cannot wait to see updates as your signature images shows how well your doing in contour shading.
Well I had another trip to the doctors so I took my pad along and doodled more on this. Jolanta, I know you said to do something else but I was told this pic needed more contrast. So here is an update.
Oh by the way Jay, ty for answering my questions & now DBF has me labeling all my work. lol

Cathie Jones
04-07-2005, 11:52 PM
:wave: Hi everyone! Just dropping in to check out everyone's work. WOW! You guys are doing great. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I've been working day and night - literally - all week. Just finished the last of my 'typesetting' chores for this issue and will do the 'Coming Events' pages this weekend. Then . . . I'm free until we get back from vacation.

I think I'll print all of these pages, plus the new lesson, and a good 'folds' pic, because I remembered a plane ride was a good opportunity to do the dreaded tree, and the upcoming flight is 8 hours. One can only read for so long, right??

I miss you guys like crazy!!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Apr-2005/23460-smiley_hug.gif

mothsailor
04-08-2005, 04:47 AM
CJ, doing my best to feel sympathetic at the long hours you're having to work, but you know it's hard to feel sorry for someone who's just about to set off for Tahiti! :envy: :p :D

Sults, I can't get over how much your work has changed in such a short time! Incredible, amazing, wonderful! :clap: :clap:

Here's an update on Her Maj.

idcrisis55
04-08-2005, 07:04 AM
Dave, the Queen is coming along very well. Oooooh, you lucky man, taking a two-day wc course. I hope you learn lots, and enjoy it all. I'm taking my first workshop in May, with acrylic artist Charles Harrington. He paints landscapes and his work can be seen here (http://www.charlesharrington.com/) I'm so excited and nervous but know a lot of what I will learn can cross all mediums.

Sultry, to my inexperienced eye, your drawing looks great. Hope you are getting some help from your doctor and you feel much better soon.

Hi Mary, you know I'm interested :D. It is hard to keep up with what is going on in the Acrylic, Landscape, Watercolor, Drawing & Sketching Forums, plus the classrooms in Acrylics, Watercolor and Drawing.

Jay, have you seen the classroom work in the WC Forum for this month. It is drawing and painting a street scene which involves that dreaded "P" (perspective) word. I have my photo picked out to draw then paint but haven't had a chance to work on it yet.

Hi Judi :D, gave you my mentor point yesterday for being so helpful and encouraging in all the class lessons.

Cathie, I don't envy you the plane ride at all but can tell you are making sure you have something to occupy your time. I'm a messy drawer (?) and usually end up with graphite or charcoal on my face and other places so need to keep wipes with me or people would think I was into body painting or never took a shower :D . You will be missed!

Wishing you all a great day!
Ann

Judi1957
04-08-2005, 07:59 AM
Morning All :wave:

Dave :wave: Your Queen is coming along really nice.

Ann, Thanks for the mentor point....can I convert it to airline miles? :D

CJ, I love plane trips, especially if they were taking me to Tahiti! :envy: :envy:

Sults, Your drawing is looking wonderful. :clap:

sultry
04-08-2005, 09:04 AM
Hiyas CJ I will be waiting for your male tushie renderings lol
Dave your Queen is really coming alive. I want you to know I have been studying Armin's techniques in the little circles and I have decided not to blend the circles this time. I have darkened them at the edges and lightened them coming in to the subjects. It gave it a more 3d effect. Thank you for the nice comment but I also see your work has improved leaps and bounds too, in a short time.
Ann thank you also and where is the update on your statue?
Hiyas Judi & thank you too, I am waiting for Dear Ole Daddy update. lol

idcrisis55
04-08-2005, 10:52 AM
Ha, ha, Judi, uh huh, airline miles for a trip to Tahiti with Cathie? lol I haven't found a Conversion Chart yet for Mentor points to Airline miles. Do you know of one :D

Hi Sults, I've given myself a break this morning and having been surfing the Forums so no update yet. I know, I am always behind but, I have been sketching, just not drawing :D I did post my weekly Year of Painting which I finished yesterday, in the Watercolor Forum if you want a peek, Here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262982)

Ann

Judi1957
04-08-2005, 12:24 PM
Hi all :wave:
Sults, wish I had a good update. been running hurdles at home and at work the past couple of days.

Ann, Wow!, thanks for the peek, your apple blossoms are just beautiful! :clap: :clap:

Fireman's kid
04-08-2005, 02:19 PM
Hi all! Wanted to let you know that I'm still here reading along, but haven't had any updates to post and not much time for just adding comments either.

This is a busy time of year for me. Lots of birthdays - my little ones are turning 6 next week so this weekend we are getting together with my husband's family and some friends to celebrate. Next weekend we are going to celebrate with my family. We will celebrate their birthday on Sat and my sister's on Sun. Today I should be cleaning the house for the party, but I'm taking a break to hop in here and say hello. :wave:

I've also been busy preparing for an art show (with my local art club) at the end of April and a craft show in the middle of May. Much to do. Not much time to draw and paint. :(

All of the folds drawings are looking great!
Sults - I think I've already said how much I love your imaginative piece. :)
Dave - The Queen is looking very regal! I'll watch for the big finish.
Ann - I really like your new bigger drawing. The details are much clearer. The apple blossom painting is beautiful too. I need to get more painting in. So much I want to do, so little time. :wink2:
Judi - Your soldier drawing is soooooo impressive. The folds are very realistic and there are so many of them! :eek: Can't wait to see you add your Dad's handsome face!
Jolanata - thanks for the pencil info and for all of your help with this thread. :)
JayD - I think you know we all love you too and will be forever thankful for your hard work. :clap: I love this class. I just wish I had time to do multiple drawings per week!

And CJ...what can I say?
I wanna go to Tahiti!!!
Okay, just had to get that out of my system. I was going to say that a jazz cruise seems like a perfect opportunity for drawing hands and feet. Bare feet sunbathing, hands playing instruments...but then I heard you mention those male dancers. :evil: Forget the hands and feet!! Draw the dancers, draw the dancers. And the palm trees and the ocean waves and the beaches and...well, you get the idea. I can't wait for your slide show of sketches. Have a great time. We'll miss you and your smilies while you are gone.

Well, I better get back to cleaning. I do hope to finish my curtain drawing before the end of the Sunday. I've been bad at finishing my assignments over the last couple of lessons which I find frustrating! :mad: Maybe after the week long birthday celebration I'll be able to find more time for drawing. :rolleyes:

PS. I hope I didn't miss anyone! If I did please forgive me and know it wasn't intentional. :o

idcrisis55
04-08-2005, 02:40 PM
Okay Sults, here is what I've done thus far. Not much I know, but I am so slow. I am having a problem in the transition from darks to lighter value as you will soon see. It is a racoon face so will work on that. BTW I have switched to an ebony pencil.

Judi, Stacey, thanks for taking a peek at the Aople Blossoms too :) Stacey, I feel like you do, that there aren't enough hours in the day, or I run out of energy too quickly. Good luck in your preparations and hope you do very well.

Ann

rosebard
04-08-2005, 07:47 PM
Hi guys! :wave:

Thanks Judi, Sultry, Deb and Idcrisis.

Just found out that I posted but didnt subscribed to the thread. That is why no email from this Class :wink2: !

I will get updated now.

Judi1957
04-08-2005, 10:05 PM
Hi all :wave:

Subscribe to this thread? I don't know what would mean. Can someone 'splain please? I see now where to do it and will, but what kind of e-mail? :confused:

Ann, Your drawing is really moving along! You are doing a beautiful job! Raccoon face?, nah, I think he just looks a little older than the person represented in the statue. You are achieving good highlights! :clap:

Stacy :wave: TY. Little ones turn 6. That is definately a multiple. More than two? :eek: :eek: How many? Any more? Busy Mom. Well, the time doesn't come again...enjoy. :)

rosebard
04-08-2005, 11:09 PM
Hi Judy, sorry to confuse you. On top of the thread there is the thread tool. So I usually subscribe to the threads and receive a messsage on my email box each time someone post, then I come and check. I posted my drawing but forgot to subscribe. That is all!! Just sharing words why I took so long to come back to the thread to see the comments. I am sure you know about subscribing thing, however just didnt understand what I was talking about. Sorrry about that!

mothsailor
04-09-2005, 02:54 PM
Here's an update on the queen. C&C welcome!

idcrisis55
04-09-2005, 03:30 PM
Thanks Judi for the comments on Sequoyah. I haven't had a chance to work on it more. Working on perspective stuff right now. Too many irons in the fire :D

Dave, your work is outstanding. I really like how your drawing is coming along.

Ann

sultry
04-09-2005, 04:06 PM
Hiyas Ann, Judi & Dave :wave:
Ann your rendering is very good as Judi says I have attached just the head for you to note something I am just discovering in seeing on my subjects. Note the values on the face how many do you see? I see from dark to light about 4 different values do you see them too?

Dave I did the same thing for you on the queen also.

What I have been doing is studying the values from dark to light, I have been blowing up ref pics to see them so I can copy them in my rendering. Dave what I think would be helpful for you, is to do your contour shading in the curves of each object on the queen. For instance look at the top of her head I think its her hair under the crown or maybe the base of the crown. See how it is curved up to the crown. If you sketch your shading in the same way it will give a more 3d effect to it. Treat it as a cylinder geo shape (same for Ann, If you note a few cylinders are what the folds are on the head wrap).

Fireman's kid
04-09-2005, 08:47 PM
Hi all! Just hopping in quick - party is tomorrow!

Judy asked...
Little ones turn 6. That is definately a multiple. More than two? How many? Any more?

lol You seem surprised! :D We have (identical) twin girls. They turn 6 on Tuesday. They are our only kids. The first half of my pregnancy with them was great, but after the half way mark things got a little more eventful. The girls arrived prematurely and I had complications of my own. It all worked out well though and we are all healthy now, but the docs advised against giving it another go. :) Most days I think this was great advice since these two keep me plenty busy enough! :D And if I miss the infant stage I find that borrowing a friend's baby for 10 minutes makes it pass. :evil:

Well, I better go see if my mom needs help making the macaroni salad.

Still haven't finished that folds drawing. Maybe tomorrow night. :rolleyes:

JayD
04-09-2005, 11:12 PM
I keep saying that i would LOVE to have more girls in this family and twins would be a real treat but at sixteen they stop listening, at seventeen they turn forty and at eighteen out pops the hand because "Daddy! It's time for college".

We lost our second child so there is only Jen so we invest pretty much everything in her anyway.

A fatherly tip for you and your husband--tell them they CANNOT get married until AFTER college--not because it is the wise thing to do but because we all know who will have to pay for the wedding. :D

Wish your girls a happy birthday for me. :)

mothsailor
04-10-2005, 07:36 AM
Stacey, hope you and your kids enjoy the party! I'm sure you'll all have a great time.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2005/52179-lotscandles.gif

Sults, thanks for the advice.
Ann, thanks for the comment!

Judi1957
04-10-2005, 09:10 AM
Rose, I really knew it was there, the subscribing, but didn't know what it was about. You didn't confuse me..you cleared it up for me. :)

Hi Dave, Ann & Sults :wave:
Stacey, Now that I think about it, you probably mentioned the twins B4. Have a great party!

JayD, So sorry for your great loss.
Quote: "A fatherly tip for you and your husband--tell them they CANNOT get married until AFTER college--not because it is the wise thing to do but because we all know who will have to pay for the wedding."
-LOL, hope my Matt is not expecting a big wedding-money flows thru his fingers like water...gonna have to tell him what I can do to help and he better talk to the future in-laws. Maybe that'll curb his spending and he will start saving so they can have the wedding they want.

Well, busy week and slept alot this week end. Posting 90%, I have a lot of issues with Dad's face and can see what needs corrected there-wish me luck-detail is tough in a less than 1" square :eek: :eek:
But as the Class is about folds, so submitting it on that.. Want to do a BG but won't get that done for the end of Class. When I do finish I will post in here again. Have to go to work today a few hours :( and have my niece's B-day party to go to.
See yunz later :wave:

JayD
04-10-2005, 09:50 AM
Judi, I really like this piece. I can clearly see that there is a body underneath the poncho--would not hurt to go darker on the values but at this point, Judi, it really is a judgement call for you to make as an artist. :)

Cathie Jones
04-10-2005, 09:54 AM
Judi, he's terrific! You loved this one and it shows - Dad would be very proud!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dave, I started working on Vickie yesterday and am watching your progress. She's looking good so far. I'm having trouble with the face - like Judi's, it's just too small to get detail. So far, the face looks like a man, an angry one! Hope I can fix that, at least a little! I'll post later in the day.

Six more sleeps before take-off!! Finished my work on the paper last night, so I'm thinking I can finish the folds class before we leave.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2005/23460-smiley_cruise.gif

idcrisis55
04-10-2005, 11:36 AM
Sults, thanks for posting the photo and pointing out the values you see. I am really trying to get a good gradation from the dark to the light but so far I'm missing the boat :( Will keep at it though. I know I won't have the drawing done today as I'm taking a motorcycle ride (he's driving, I'm holding on for dear life :D) this afternoon if it doesn't rain. If it rains then I will get a chance to work on it more.

I just did a rough perspective drawing of the Main Street in my home town which can be seen Here (http://www.atreesse.com/Posting%20Page/postingpage.htm). I need to invest in a roll of butcher paper for doing that long perspective. This took me hours and hours and it is still off. Plus I don't know how to draw cars or figures very well which made it worse.

Stacy, Happy Birthday to your twins from a non-identical twin. Hope they (and all of you) really enjoy the Birthday party :D

Judi, what you have done with your dad's face is really good. I know you said you are planning to change some things but so far it really is looking good. You whole drawing looks great and as Jay mentioned perhaps some deeper values in the folds? Looking forward to your finish whenever that may be. Glad you have gotten some rest. Mentoring and subbing is very tiring plus all the other things you do.

Hi to everyone else too! Hope all of you are having a swell day :D
Ann

JayD
04-10-2005, 11:43 AM
When you get on that motorbike, dont forget to take a sketchbook--lots of surprises to capture on a bike trip. :)

Deb Leger
04-10-2005, 01:08 PM
Hi all! I've been having a rough second half of the week so haven't been able to be here much. I'm posting this and then need to go out so I'll get caught up on email tonight.

I was going to crop off the head before posting but decided to face the humiliation! Her head and face are terrible!! :p First it was too small, then I tried erasing it and doing it over and that experiment failed too. As seen here.

I learned several things with this drawing:
- folds and draping aren't as hard as they seem once you learn to go with the shapes and falls
- cross hatching can be fun and engrossing
- sometimes you just have to forget all the technical stuff and just finely layer on lines
- I just cannot do faces
- in the unlikely event that in future, I attempt another facial, I will start with the face first!!! That way, when I ruin the face, I can start over right away. :D (As opposed to doing the complete drawing, then doing the face, ruining it and then becoming so fed up with the entire thing that I toss it aside and swear I'm not starting over.) :evil:

Here she is and the drawing looks better in real life than this shot:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2005/11775-6.JPG

JayD
04-10-2005, 01:38 PM
Before this thread gets off on a portrait tangent--DONT WORRY ABOUT IT RIGHT NOW, Deb--this is a folds class and the the focus is on the folds and NOT on the face.

Your work with the fold is spectacular. I have been watching this thread with great interest and have made a point not to interefere with its progress--you and and everyone here have done a spectacular job with this session.

The folds on her dress are simply lovely--now, granted, the head does have the spherical quality of a bubble gum machine but we are NOT on faces yet--the face that you have there is easily corrected by following the shadows and highlights and some minor erasing.

But those folds are to steal away`one's breath. Nice work, Deb! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Jolanta
04-10-2005, 02:23 PM
Hi,
I had to stop by and check on everybody. I am extremely impressed.
Judi you are doing outstanding work on your solder. I cannot find anything wrong with it. Changing face in this scale is very hard but your hard work pays off. This drawing is so great - are you going to do the background to turn it into finished masterpiece? I would.

Dave your work is very good too. Keep practicing. The more we do the better we get.

Deb - I agree with Jay completely. Don't try to do everything at once. This class is about folds and yours are unbelivable. If you are not happy with the face - leave it blank. It can make quite interesting piece this way. Think about artistic impression not perfection. I have students saying they love to draw but sometimes they try things they don't know how and get very frustrated. I tell them - don't draw things you don't know how. I mean you can try but if you see it doesn't work - quit. Don't get frustrated. Drawing suppose to be fun and pleasure only.

Jay - thanks for everything you do here. I will be watching over everybodys shoulder when I can, ready to jump in and help. We don't want any frustration here. Let's have fun. What's next???

Jolanta

JayD
04-10-2005, 04:43 PM
I will be posting the next class between midnite and one tonight---I have a few more things to write before I reveal anything as I might want to change direction but I am usually prompt about posting then.

Dont forget folks that the classes are now running on a two week cycle.

Cathie Jones
04-10-2005, 04:56 PM
Here's my start on Queen Victoria - about two hours into it. I'm using a mechanical pencil and mostly straight lines, just a tiny bit of blending so far. Also, I cheated a bit and traced her outline because I was running out of time and having trouble with the proportions. No looking at face and hands, please! :rolleyes:

Mary Woodul
04-10-2005, 06:39 PM
Hi everyone! : :wave: Sorry I haven't posted much this week and I wish I could comment on the wonderful fold have seen from you guys, but this week has been hectic. We are going to Las Vegas next Sunday, not that my husband and like to gamble but our eldest son and daughter in law want us to go with them so I will go visit art galleries, go to Celine Dione's show and go find a dress for my son's wedding.

JayD I think my statue still has some touching up needed but I will start tomorrow with the next class and touch up the statue before we leave.

Judi you drawing is just awesome, you put a lot o love into it.

Ann I hadn't seen your website and I am very impressed. You have to add some image transfers to it. :evil:

Deb, the folds on your Queen Victoria look beautiful, you have a way to give things such a soft and silky look.

Dave and CJ, yours are also looking good.

Jolanta, thank you for your demo and suggestions, I will be watching for you.

Hi Sults, how are you feeling? Hi Stacey, Happy Birthday to your girls. & 6year olds are nice, I have a 6 year old grandson.

JayD
04-10-2005, 07:27 PM
Mary, I have been drawing all afternoon but I went back and took a look at your drawing. I love the face and the hat and the folds. Some more variety with the values would help immensely and you might want to touch up the hands a bit (guess what I have been working on? :D ).

Cathie Jones
04-10-2005, 07:42 PM
I see a few 'refinements' that I may do later tonight, but for now QV is mostly done.

C&C please (other than the aforementioned face and hands :D ).

idcrisis55
04-10-2005, 09:08 PM
Hi Everyone!

Deb, the folds are gorgeous as always. Hope you don't crop her head or we will have to change her name to Anne Boelyn. :evil: :D Isn't that the Queen that was beheaded? You are progressing by leaps and bounds and I know that is because of your dedication and practice.

Ha Jay, no sketchbook today. Way too windy but did see lots of beautiful spots dressed in Spring green with rosebud and dogwood trees in bloom.

Cathie, you drawing is looking so good already. Nice work on those ruffles on her chest and the draping fold over her arm.

Hi Mary, good to see you. Isn't it funny how sometimes it seems everything gets compressed in to a day or a week and one isn't sure if they are coming or going. Wishing you an enjoyable trip with your family! Thanks for looking at my website. Soon I hope to play with the image transfers just to see what happens as I am intrigued by it. First though, must get the homework done lol.

Hi Judi and everyone, hope you enjoyed your Sunday!

Ann