PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic gesso over painting

jallenaz
03-27-2005, 06:05 PM
Is it all right to put acrylic gesso over an acrylic painting on a canvas. I did a painting and don't like it, so I thought I could use the canvas again. But I though I had better check.

The original painting is with Modern Masters Acrylics. Then I thought I would paint over it with my Golden Acrylics, so I tried toning the canvas with Golden acrylics. But I can see it will take a lot to cover the old painting. So now I'm thinking I should use the Modern Masters artist's acrylics, Acrylic Gesso Primer. Then start again with my Golden Acrylics for the new painting. Am I just making a mess or what:) The canvas wasn't cheap, so it is worth keeping. But not if it's going to have problems later.

Thanks for any advice.

Jim

Lady Carol
03-27-2005, 06:06 PM
Yes. It is OK. You will lose the texture of the canvas but if that doesn't worry you then go for it.

jallenaz
03-27-2005, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Lady Carol. I'll go out and do it now. I'll find out about losing the texture of the canvas on this painting maybe. I have only done five paintings in my short painting life. So I usually think I am going to lose the texture anyway, after I paint the same thing over and over until it's right. But maybe I've gotten better at it. It's all practice at this point still.

Jim

Lady Carol
03-27-2005, 06:15 PM
Good luck and happy painting :wave:

jeff m
03-27-2005, 07:18 PM
I have a canvas I am trying to save with a painting I don't really care for.

Jim

I have a few of those too.

If there are any high spots (thick paint) sand them down carefully, support the canvas underneath if needed. Then two coats of gesso. If you shine a light at it you should be able to see any ridges that remain. Gesso again if neccessary.

NodakerDeb
03-27-2005, 07:52 PM
I paint over a lot of canvases... (which probably tells you a lot about my paintings <haha>). I'm sure I am doing something wrong and am using the wrong product, and putting things on in the wrong order, but I gesso over canvases all the time. Lately, I've taken to just squirting heavy bodied titanium white directly on the canvas and leveling it out with a palette/painting knife. I don't sand or anything when it dries because I like a little texture. What I don't like are the bumps of the canvas, so in the future I'm going to goop gesso or white acrylic thickly before I even start painting. That is one thing I learned from using my canvases over and over -- the more paint/gesso/gel I layered on -- the better I liked the painting surface. :D

Deb

Marty C
03-27-2005, 08:26 PM
Hi Jim,
Provided you didn't apply a solvent based varnish to your original then it's fine to apply gesso and go over it again. If a solvent based varnish was used it will need to be stripped off before any acrylic gesso is applied. If an acrylic varnish/medium was used you can apply gesso with no problems.
If no varnish or medium was applied then as Carol says, go for it!