PDA

View Full Version : Printmaking books

Gisela
12-13-2001, 09:46 PM
Any good books to share?

I kind of fell into printmaking when I accidentally ordered the 'Encyclopedia of Printmaking Techniques' (Judy Martin) from North Lght. It covers a little about lots of types of printing and it was so interesting, I kept the book and started experimenting. Got hooked real quick!! Lots of good info.

Then I got 'Simple Printmaking' by Gwen Diehm. This one was a little too cutsie/crafty for my tastes, but has some interesting historical stuff that I enjoyed. Mostly about relief printing.

Then my etching press came with a bundle that included Jula Ayres book, 'Monotype - Mediums and Methods for Painterly Prinmaking.' Great book! She thoroughly examines papers, mediums, plate types, and mixed medium printing. Lots of very inspirational photos of prints too!

After talking to Sassy, I ordered 'The Complete Printmaker', which arrived by UPS today. She recommended it as a 'must have' for printmakers. It looks like what the title says -- can't wait to sink my teeth into this one! :D

So what have you been reading? :cool:

Gisela

Tony Perrotta
12-14-2001, 04:49 PM
Hi Gisela, I think I will go to the book store tommorow and see if I can pick up one on Printmaking, just to be on the safe side. I think it will be interesting to do some prints, I am eager to start cutting, I always wanted to get into carving of some kind, and this will take care or 2 worlds carving and painting. I just checked out your site, WOW your work is fantastic.On another subject... Did you happen to catch on Bravo last month Bill Wymans Blues Odyssey? A 2 Hr show where he interviews Blues men and features some of their music. If you are a Blues Fan you would love it. My buddy is borrowing the tape I made, when I get it back I will send it to you if you have not seen it.

Regards, Tony

Gisela
12-14-2001, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Tony Perrotta
Hi Gisela, I think I will go to the book store tommorow and see if I can pick up one on Printmaking, just to be on the safe side. I think it will be interesting to do some prints, I am eager to start cutting, I always wanted to get into carving of some kind, and this will take care or 2 worlds carving and painting. I just checked out your site, WOW your work is fantastic.On another subject... Did you happen to catch on Bravo last month Bill Wymans Blues Odyssey? A 2 Hr show where he interviews Blues men and features some of their music. If you are a Blues Fan you would love it. My buddy is borrowing the tape I made, when I get it back I will send it to you if you have not seen it.

Regards, Tony

Hi Tony,
I'm gonna recommend the Complete Printmaker, that Sassy resommended to me. I had my nose in it till 3:00 am. If you're getting just one book, I think that's the one. It really covers everything! I checked the a few bookstores and it was $40.00. Then I checked Amazon and got it for $28. :cool:
Thanks for checking out my site and your comment! :D I have to add another gallery for prints soon.
I don't get Bravo, but the Blues Odyssey show sounds great. I'm a big blues fan - I work the door at a blues bar on Sat. nights for twenty bucks and free beers. I would love to see the tape. Thanks for your offer!

Gisela

mame
12-15-2001, 06:50 AM
Non-Toxic Intaglio Printmaking

Written by Keith Howard, the guru of this (now not so new)new printmaking technology.

I understand the book is sold out until the Spring. I don't have a web address to order but if you plug in "Keith Howard" bet you can find ordering information.

sassybird
12-15-2001, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by mame
Non-Toxic Intaglio Printmaking

Written by Keith Howard, the guru of this (now not so new)new printmaking technology.

I understand the book is sold out until the Spring. I don't have a web address to order but if you plug in "Keith Howard" bet you can find ordering information.

I have heard of this one, mame. Some of his techniques I already use, but this is one book I would like to add to my library. Any way I can find to cut down on toxicity is important to me. Thanks for posting this.

Gisela
12-27-2001, 11:59 AM
Here's a link to some info on Kieth Howard; http://www.praga.com/imhoward.htm

I almost forgot another book -- Printmaking in the Sun, by Dan Welden and Pauline Muir. It's about the Solarplate method, also developed from safety concerns. . Great book -- lots of info on using Solarplates for both relief and intaglio methods.

Gisela

ZOTMA
12-28-2001, 03:32 PM
thanks all, ready to drop some $$ on books oh yes
I got a loaner of "Printmaking Today" by Jules Heller (ironically written almost 30 years ago) seems to have all the basics well described, many techniques and lots of pictures. Came highly recommended and I'm diggin it so far.