PDA

View Full Version : Birthing Island

MountainSong
03-26-2005, 07:36 PM
Instead of fighting the lava continually, I opted instead to just let it be fully expressed and then hopefully I can move on to something non volcanic based. :rolleyes:
Gotta say it does looks awesome at night.

Acrylic on gallery wrap canvas.
16 X 20
side profile and detail included.

All comments embraced and critiques are particularly desirable - I'm here to grow. :)

Enjoy.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2005/48549-Birthing_Island.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2005/48549-Birthing_Island_Profile.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2005/48549-Birthing_Island_Detail.jpg

Tamana
03-26-2005, 08:08 PM
This is wonderfull!! Girl -- is THIS not the "Perfect Red Abstract" you wanted over your desk?! Or, wait--is this just a mini version of such? ;) Great texture/designing.

Maybe all you needed to do was let that volcano erupt one good time to clear--erm, blow the clogged passages out? :cool:

You know, this one almost eliminates the convex design of that canvas totally...

Is there any way to get a night shot of it for us? I would love to see it.

sciartist
03-26-2005, 08:16 PM
Absolutely perfect!!! :D

d-head
03-26-2005, 09:02 PM
OOH. You know I'm a red lover.. and this is a lava song, Song. Great energy. Take in the darkest cave, You won't need any other light.

scorpio32
03-26-2005, 09:08 PM
the best I've seen out of you yet!!OMG.....what amazes me the most is this technique.I mean,that detail shot has me totally baffled...have you considered 'accidently' shipping this to me?? :p The convex design has it flowing OFF the canvas......it's very much alive.

dave

wiscojaydub
03-26-2005, 09:38 PM
And mountainsong steps up to the plate and folks she is pointing to center field bleachers with her red loooeyville slugger! The pitcher winds-up with the pitch and mountainsong hammers the sinking slider right outta da park!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: jaydub :D

chandlerjr
03-26-2005, 09:48 PM
MountainSong,
You technique is starting to really take form and push you forward. One of you best! What I really like is that is has richness of color and depth. :clap:
Larry C.

MountainSong
03-26-2005, 10:07 PM
Tamana! You remembered! :D Yes, Im still on that quest this comes close but at 16 X 20 its too small of course any bigger and it might feel like lava was extruding through the walls! Ill try for a night shot but you know how finicky red can be to photograph. Grrr
Thanks for coming in on this one it means a lot to me. :)

Sciartist Wow!! Thanks! :D

DeHead Ya' gotta love that red huh?! So full of life that color, the blood rushing through our veins, the lava under the earths crust. And as long as the blood shall pump and the lava flow - both we and the planet shall be counted among the living!

Hey Dave thanks for the appreciation of the technique Im trying to develop. As I get more comfortable with what acrylics can and cant do Im beginning to explore and dial in the finer nuances.
Who knows Ive made shipping errors before maybe the next one will be in your favor? :p

Wisco MC Whoa! Six Clappies Im blushing now :o . Thanks.

Aloha Chandlerjr, Ive been trying to get depth of pigment but continually falling shy of it however the repeated attempts have turned out some interesting lessons. Thanks for noticing some forward movement. *Grins*

FriendCarol
03-27-2005, 12:07 AM
Wow. No question about what this expresses! It's great, particularly the colors, but also composition, and shapes, babble babble. :clap:

kasunart
03-27-2005, 01:01 AM
Awesome one Mountain! Love these last few, you're in a groove.

Lynxes123
03-27-2005, 03:41 AM
MountainSong, my gosh that is one red hot sizzling beautiful red painting! I agree with what everyone else said, I'm gushing here too, LOL but it is just amazing looking, you are in the groove as someone else was saying. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mary Woodul
03-27-2005, 07:51 AM
You captured the real vibrancy and color of lava and made it into a gorgeous abstract. I love the effect you caused with the orangy color and have no idea how you did that. I just love it!

debbi_carr
03-27-2005, 09:30 AM
i thought for sure too that this was going to be the perfect red abstract you were singing about creating. why didn't you just do it bigger man? anyway, it is masterfully executed in my opinion...could you tell me a little about your technique? i am intrigued.

bbbilly1326
03-27-2005, 04:41 PM
Wow, this looks like it captures the essence of lava to me, those subtle color variations and striations. Beautiful, combining all that red subtly is no mean feat.

It even looks like it has a CRUST :confused: HOW did you do that ?

MountainSong
03-28-2005, 01:17 AM
Friend Carol - *L* Yah, this is basically a realistic painting presented abstractly. Thanks for liking it.

Hey Thanks KasunArt Course I really dont want to be painting lava and volcanos but thats what keeps channeling through me so whats a Gal to do? *sigh* Oh well, maybe its all leading to something. Glad you dig this one.

Lynx if you like all the sizzling heat youll really like the night shot. It does sizzle. This painting may have to come with a combustion label. *L*

Thank you Mary! Moving lave is a hypnotically fascinating thing to see after you see enough of it I think it sears into ones brain or something any way Im having a hard time NOT painting it. Just wish I could better express the wonder of what its like to see the living blood of the planet.

HiYah Miss Debbie. The perfect red abstract is going to hopefully be more sophisticated and elegant. This kind of has an earthy primal something-something too it. I do kinda wonder though when itll finally resolve its self and form on the canvas, *L* I actually thought maybe I could paint it after about 20 canvases! Like Thats going to happen!
The technique is still evolving its still in its infancy I dont know what the path to its maturation will be but its fun trying to take it there.

Bbbbillllly! Now if only I could capture the experience of seeing it for the first time the primal fear, the fascination, the compulsion, the near trance like hypnotic state as it move slowly towards you, the experience of seeing land birth right in front of you. Ahhh..
At night the crust is more evident and the fire hotter the following photo comes closer to showing what it looks like IRT but misses the mark.

Night Shot

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Mar-2005/48549-Birthing_Island_Night_Shot.jpg

Mirek Sledz
03-28-2005, 11:13 AM
:wave: Hi Mountain! It's very nice to see your progress. Every time when
I look on WC forum I see your better and better art. What is it? I see landscape there (trees) I guess?? :D

FriendCarol
03-28-2005, 11:41 AM
Yah, this is basically a realistic painting presented abstractly. Thanks for liking it.
Actually, I wasn't thinking 'expressing inside of volcano' -- imo it was 'expressing heat'!!! :evil:

Heat is abstract, I think, for painters. :)

Could layers like this within 'abscapes' be your next direction? But you've also shown promise as a 'figural abstract' painter. Can't wait to see what happens next!

AbstractHeart
03-28-2005, 12:55 PM
**stands in awe of the master** Wonderful stuff!! Keep it coming :D

d-head
03-28-2005, 02:00 PM
Still love this. And here... I'm in red, of course.

MountainSong
03-28-2005, 05:36 PM
Aloha Mirek good to see you back in Ab/Con again and productive from your time in the woods.
This piece was meant as flowing lava but trees are fine too! Thats the beauty of abstract- it can be whatever we wish. :D

FriendCarol Its a mystery to me too the Muse leads I follow! Layers has certainly been on the docket along with trying to get a stained glass transparent effect thats getting a little closer to happening I think, in general though exploration seems to be all over the place. *L* Thanks for looking at the night shot.

AbstractHeart - *Blush* Thank you so very much. I will endeavor to keep them coming.

D-Head What a coincidence. Bet its hard to believe hes 23 years old now! Maybe about the age you were in the photo?

d-head
03-28-2005, 05:44 PM
and thank you for that, but I was OLD dad, even then. 58 now, though I look 40 and act 12.

ronin
03-29-2005, 12:03 AM
You know Scott, Ive been a frickin evil doctor for 30 frickin years, OK? Cut me some frickin slack. You forget Scott. We're in a volcano. We're surrounded by liquid hot... MAGMA. - Dr. Evil

:D