PDA

View Full Version : Waterfall WIP

jo_b
03-26-2005, 01:52 PM
Hi All, :wave:

I'm fairly new to WC I've been mostly in MOM.
Saw this thread and thought I'd give it a try. I could really use some help on this painting.

It's 24"x20" oil on canvas. It is loosely based on some photos that I had taken
I feel that it is missing something but I just can't quite put my finger on it. :confused: Maybe an eye stopper in the bottom left hand corner, but what? I'm hoping that a fresh eye will be able to help.

Thanks,
Jodi

C&C's are welcome

LynneClomina
03-27-2005, 02:36 AM
hi Jodi!

first of all, i think this is a beautiful picture. it is so peaceful and serene!

something i could suggest is that you do not need an 'eye stopper', becuase the eye already 'stops' in the bottom left hand corner.... and that may be your problem..? i think there needs to be something to bring the eye back up to the trees... when i look at it my eye is drawn first to the stream, down over the rocks, and to the left... and stops. a bit disconcerting... but if you could somehow bring the 'flow' of the eye back up and around to the trees, it might work well...

my only other thought is that while the right hand side of your painting has wonderful depth/contrast, the left side is fairly low-contrast and 'misty' looking.... i dont know if that is just the photo? if not, then perhaps making the darks darker and highlights lighter would help.

i love the rocks on the right side - beautifully crisp, and draws the eye up to the tree...

love it!

LynneClomina

jo_b
03-27-2005, 09:08 AM
Thank You Lynne for the compliment.
I noticed that the painting looks very dull here,I'm sure that resizing doesn't help so I went and took a better photo of it in my studio. It still had a "reddish" cast to the rocks which you do not see in "real life". I agree with your critique about the left corner and the highlights and darks, I haven't done the finishing work yet. I don't know what would work in that corner :confused:

Here is the "Improved" photo. Of course, it still looks dull without varnishing.

YLCIA
03-27-2005, 11:09 AM
Beautiful scenery:).I personaly would add greens to the water ( water reflects light and have a multi color play) and as Lynne said make on the right (viewers) side darks darker, the rocks need to look wet from water sprays:)

Julia