PDA

View Full Version : Oaf.. The Fat man

El-Elegante
03-26-2005, 03:56 AM
oil over acrylic on paper. 5x8 in.. "Oaf, The Fat Man"

it'sALLart
03-26-2005, 09:35 AM
this is extremely interesting to me... feels like an old piece from years ago... i really like it. is it a study for a larger work? would love to see this about 5 foot tall...

ashling
03-26-2005, 09:42 AM
its groovy & im not sure why
is it a tad blurry per chance ?

minimonkey
03-26-2005, 12:53 PM
I like it, too -- blurry photo notwithstanding. I'm with ItsAllArt on this one -- I'd love to see it really big. Nice depth and contrast, good overall flow ----

FriendCarol
03-26-2005, 01:01 PM
Maybe it's the blurriness; I see a Santa's outfit, all white-furry and red, and that yellow stuff like shaped foam cushions. Also the gleam of a folding chair? Reminds me of an attic. :p Forgot to click to put it in another window... I'll look again later.

MountainSong
03-26-2005, 03:28 PM
Aloha El Elegante. :) This piece has so many half seen elements in it its easy to go off on an imaginary tangent about Santa getting himself into a number of awkward situations. Its a humorous piece in some ways.
Your paint handling is admirable too leaves much to the imagination.

Tamana
03-26-2005, 04:51 PM
Good to see you posting again. I, too, feel the photo's blurry? But not enough to not be able to discern the essence of it. The palette is wonderful and the red perfectly placed. You know I love that yellow weave of line balancing the depth.

Acceptance and fitting in a tough world. I like how you've accentuated such via the seemingly compressed design.

This reminds me of another on the boards that evokes a sense of feeling rather than understanding. That's pure abstract at its best.

El-Elegante
03-26-2005, 11:06 PM
The colors are fairly true to the painting, except that there is a bit more rich green than you are seeing in the digital image. so it tends to look less like santa in real life.. Was never intended to be santa, or anything that tangable for that matter, just had some semi figural shape in mind with energy flowng out of it.

RE making a large painting of this.. I do lots of large work too, but they often take months.. I can't translate them all into giant works.. also, some of the technique here is limited by the medium and size ie.. WC paper, and 9-10" size. It just won't translate to a larger work with this effect.. so my larger works are in a slightly modified style.. but same general effect. Thanks for the comments.