PDA

View Full Version : Playing around with transfers.

Mary Woodul
03-26-2005, 12:12 AM
This didn't turn out the way I wanted the transfer to, but I will post it any way. Very small recycled canvas, Wall plaster, photocopy transfer, acrylic, oil and wrapping paper on canvas.

Tamana
03-26-2005, 12:57 AM
This looks so indeginous, Mary. Like natural rawhide. I always feel the history with your work--the pull of ancestry. It may not have turned out the way you'd hoped, but it did turn out quite well.

mame
03-26-2005, 07:20 AM
This work is very appealing.

Would you mind......?

Sharing the photocopy transfer process?

Is there a particular product/chemical involved in "lifting" the image and transfering to canvas?

Is the transferred image ON TOP OF the painted canvas?

Oh, just tell me everything - if you are willing.

idylbrush
03-26-2005, 07:50 AM
This work is very appealing.

Would you mind......?

Sharing the photocopy transfer process?

Is there a particular product/chemical involved in "lifting" the image and transfering to canvas?

Is the transferred image ON TOP OF the painted canvas?

Oh, just tell me everything - if you are willing.

Mame, I am not sure if this is what you want but it does give a description of the process. Hope it helps.

http://www.goldenpaints.com/technicaldata/transimg.php

mame
03-26-2005, 08:27 AM
Txs, hcow :)

Mary Woodul
03-26-2005, 09:21 AM
Tam, thank you at least I learned for another piece but I'm not too satisfied with the torn paper in a circle, I might tear it a bit.

mame, I recently did another one that turned out perfect. I think the secret is that the surface be smooth and hard, you can put a book under it. At Mixed Media we have had several discussion about the best way and several people metion Mr. Jonathan Talbots mehtod as the best way. What I did was fotocopy an image a on a transparency. Then I brushed Golden metalic paint on the surface where I wanted the image on as a transfer medium and immediately put the transfer over that and burnished with the bottom of a spoon. I had to put on quite a bit of pressure while burnishing and then I carefully lifted the transparency. In this case it did not come off nicely because of the grain in the plaster but the image that you can see clearer is on the wrapping paper over the plaster. I have put a stain of oil paint over the other one and it is perfect. I understand there are many methods but I have only tried this one. I will look for the thread at Mixed Media and gladly post it to you.

Mary Woodul
03-26-2005, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the link, Howard.

ashling
03-26-2005, 09:37 AM
im completely lost as to how and i like it
evoking mystery, curiosity and looking
im taken on a ride once my eyes adjust
or do they, as layers unfold and
my eyes jump again
its earthy stuff
ash :music:

it'sALLart
03-26-2005, 10:26 AM
we used to make transfers with color xerox by putting them on the canvas and then misting the back, putting down a layer of plasticwrap and putting books on top for weight.... it worked pretty well. you can then use fixative on the image... wasn't crystal clear, but looked cool... of course, then there's the old iron-on method, that works REALLY well. LOL.

nice image, Mlelevier... what's the size?

debbi_carr
03-26-2005, 10:39 AM
Oh Mary, I love this. it looks so authentic. don't forget to share that link.

deborah

Mary Woodul
03-26-2005, 11:44 AM
Ashling, thank you, if that is your reaction I am happy with my painting. I just love your writings. :D

Keith thank you for the info, I will have to try it that way. This is really very small, 8X10 inches, I always work on very large formats but this was a little canvas that has had about everything on it so I figured, one more goof won't hurt it.

Thank you debbi, here is the link to the most recent conversation about transfers, but I remember another one and I'll find it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249138

debbi_carr
03-26-2005, 01:25 PM
Thank you debbi, here is the link to the most recent conversation about transfers, but I remember another one and I'll find it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249138

cool beans. thanks for the link. i'm excited.

MountainSong
03-26-2005, 03:54 PM
Mlelevier this is gorgeous. The way you use the earth tones and old world colors always leaves me drooling. This piece feels almost like a detail of a larger picture, my mind continues this piece out of the frame easily. It's so textual/sculptural it begs to be touched gently.

Mary Woodul
03-26-2005, 04:07 PM
Thank you , Mountain Song. BTW you've just got to tell me someday about your adventures in those caves. :D

debbi, you will enjoy those links and try it out!