PDA

View Full Version : My first lino print

graemek
03-25-2005, 05:28 PM
Hi all,

I didi my first print since I was 5 years old with half a potato, yesterday. I haven't got all the right tools so had to make do but I'm quite pleased. I got the image off the net and cut it on Wednesday then took the plunge and inked on thursday but put the ink on too thickly :mad: Still, for a first attemt I'm over the moon so I will probably be back in this forum very soon, depending on everyones reaction. Plus if you can give any advice it'd be more than welcome

:wave:

Ari Sutton
03-25-2005, 10:11 PM
GraemeK,

Very good for a first attempt. Interesting negative space as well as a nice image. Is'n t printmaking addictive? Hope to see some more.

Ari

Printmakerguy
03-26-2005, 12:11 AM
Great job! :clap:

I like the image a lot- It is very nice, especially for a first attempt. The inking could use some work, but that takes practice- Don't be discouraged- you did WAY better than I did at first...

What kind of ink did you use?

I hope to see more of your work here in the future. We are a great bunch of people, with all sorts of good advice! Don't hesitate to ask questions!

-Andrew

graemek
03-26-2005, 10:03 AM
Its a water based ink, but thats all I can tell you, other than the fact it's like treacle. Thick & gloopy and I was covered in the stuff, great fun. :p

Ari Sutton
03-26-2005, 10:29 AM
I know there are some here who love the water based ink, but I find the oil based inks much easier to work with. I do mostly woodcuts and the wood grain is important to the compostion. The oils show that wood grain better than the water based ink, which prints flatter (more flat?). Cleanup isn't bad if you get some safe chemicals to clean with.

As far as "all the right tools" goes, there are many tools you may want to acquire. However, some of my best pieces were done with only one or two tools.

Hope this is helpful advise. :)
Ari

sassybird
03-26-2005, 12:25 PM
Welcome to our forum, Graeme. We are always happy to see newcomers to our little corner of WC!

I think you did a wonderful job for a first lino cut. You have some good texture going on, and a good use of negative space. I bet you are going to become addicted like the rest of us:D Keep them coming we love seeing new work:)

Jetsam
03-26-2005, 02:33 PM
Hi Graeme - I'll add my welcome as well.

I'm glad you shared this. It has a ton of personality and charm to it. You really captured a lot with this print. I imagine probably did fairly well with that potato that lifetime ago! Please do keep at it, and post as you develop new work. -Carol

doug_h
03-27-2005, 10:48 AM
I too, add my welcome to you, Graemek. This is a delightful print. Keep working on the inking. I know a few folks that use WB inks and love them, but I cannot bring myself to trying them again at this point. I look forward to seeing your next one.
Doug

printzessofthenorth
03-27-2005, 08:55 PM
Hi Graeme,

This is print is quite appealing. Great first try.

Did you say you did this on a potatoe or did you mean you did a potato print when you were 5 years old? I would think ws ink would bead up on a potatoe, specially if it were a bit wet itself.

If you used lino with the ws. ink, I have a couple of questions. What brand do you use?Alright that really is only one question. ;)

Personally, I really didn't like the results that I got with Speedball, but found with some finesse, that Daniel Smith Water Soluble worked pretty well. I use their transparent water soluble medium mixed into the ink and keep a mister (like a plant mister) handy. After the first print, I lightly mist the field of ink and work it in to the field until it sounds like velcro again. Then ink up the plate for the next print. In this way, the ink doesn't get as gunky and thick and the open time is extended. I might mist two or three inkings before adding more ink to the field. That is mist, roll ink onto the plate, print. Mist, repeat. Then the next time add more ink, roll, if gunky mist lightly, ink, print and so on. The key is to mist lightly and work the field of ink until the water is mixed in. ( Sounds like velcro again.)

If you are printing on a potato, I think you might have to dry it out a bit by sprinkling it with salt, letting it sit for a while and blotting with paper towels. You could experiment with how dry to make the potato block for optimum inking quality. This recommendation is only a guess, I've never tried it myself.
But I know that this is how eggplant is dried out so that when it is fried it doesn't get mushy because of the amount of moisture in the veggy. And potatoes have a certain amount of moisture the leaks from the cut surface that might interfer with the ink.

Hope this helps and I'd like to see more prints from you.

debbieryder

zardoz
03-27-2005, 09:01 PM
welcome to the forum and I'll add my well done to the rest . Ilike the image and the way you have cut I would like to see a better inked print but from what I can see I like it

J. Mundie
03-29-2005, 12:35 AM
Lovely, but I'm a bit disappointed that since potato printing was your introduction to the craft that you didn't stick with the tubers. ;)

No, really, it's an excellent start. The finer points of inking will become apparent as you continue down this path.

CBHutch
03-29-2005, 09:21 AM
Lovely design! :clap: You have a nice balance of lights and darks. Somebody probably already mentioned it, but lots of thin layers of ink on the block works better than a thick one. I also find that the first print or two doesn't come out as well as I would like so I print those on plain paper until the block is evenly inked (but that may just be me since I'm pretty new to this also :wink2: ).

Cheryl

Diane Cutter
03-30-2005, 07:26 PM
This is a charming second print... (got to count the potato at age 5 as the first)... You've certainly got a handle on the cutting and have done an admirable job of printing...

You made me laugh with your 'treacle' comment. Yes, ink can be pretty messy. Over time and with practice it will get better. One thing to keep in mind is that several thin rollings of ink will cover better than one or two juicy passes. Also, get down and look at your inked plate crosswise to see if you have inked all the areas. Once the lino is stained with the ink, it's sometimes hard to tell.

Although I like your white paper, you might want to buy a piece of cream or buff to experiment. Just a suggestion: when you buy papers, save a small piece for your notes (or keep a 'failed' print). On that sheet write down the name of the paper, weight, color, manufacturer, purchasing source, cost, etc. That will give you instant information in later months/years as to what that paper was...

For a moment I thought we were headed into an illustrated cookbook with all the comments on potatos, eggplants, and salt. Think I need to cut up some vegetables the next time I have a printing session...

By the way, a hearty welcome... We look forward to your successes (and learning failures). You'll find us a very supportive group...

Diane

Diane Cutter
03-30-2005, 07:27 PM
Forgot to ask: What size is the print?

Diane

graemek
03-31-2005, 01:32 PM
hi all,

Thanks to everyone who took time to comment. They were most welcome.
Just to clarify, this was done with lino! When I was 5 was the time to break out the potatoes. :p and that was a few years ago now.
Re:- Size. As I'm too lazy to go dig out my rule, the approximate size is 75mm x 65mm give or take a millimetre. I'll come back with the size later on as I have done a better print of the same, so I'll post that and I'll also post my second print, this time of a cat.

Thanks again :wave:

Diane Cutter
03-31-2005, 01:49 PM
Be sure to post your cat in a new thread... that way it won't get lost in an older thread!

Also you might want to use the Image Downloader so we can have a bigger version in the post... Just go to the blue bar above, click onto 'Quick Links' and scroll to last item, 'Image Uploader'...

Diane