PDA

View Full Version : Wood or Lino

Tony Perrotta
12-13-2001, 02:27 PM
Hi all, I am looking foward to trying a print soon I am going to but the tools soon. What would be the easiest to do cut wood or lino. I'll probably try something linear and abstract the first time so I want to cut fairly detailed. Also when cutting if I want to keep my lines thin do I have to cut them to a point at the top of my surface. I have not done a lino since grade school(along time ago). As far as pressing how can I do it without a press I was thing of making one out of wood and a hydraulic jack which wood be fairly simple for me as I worked as a truck mechanic for 18 yrs. What do you think am I getting to complex for a beginner, I was looking at the prices of those presses, man o man you better press everyday to get your moneys worth out of them. I know you gals will have my answers.

Regards Tony

timelady
12-13-2001, 06:04 PM
First - have a quick read through the hand-pulled print lesson thread. You can easily take prints by hand with no press. No problem. :) I just use the palm of my hand, or you can use a japanese baren (bamboo thingie you can get at an art store) or a back of a spoon or anything that you feels gives you good pressure.

I would recommend lino to start simply because it's easier to carve. Wood is more complicated because there are grains to consider. Start with lino and experiment with the different size and shape nibs in the tool to get different qualities of line, etc.

You can get fine lines but you might need to buy some good quality lino for that - cheap stuff will tend to crumble and break easily (I use cheap stuff because I'm mainly doing one-off prints or other stuff with my carving - not actually runs of prints so they don't need to last). Japanese lino is wonderful - very soft and easy to cut and more rubbery all the way through, so more sturdy. It's blue or green over here, not sure if it's easily available in the US.

Tina.

Gisela
12-13-2001, 08:48 PM
Isn't it fun to try something new? I'm pretty new to printmaking and I'm having a ball! :D

Speedball and some others also make some softer rubbery material for cutting that is very easy to cut and real responsive to even very fine tools. there's one product that is about 1/2 inch thick and some that are very thin with an adhesive backing to mount on wood or cardboard.

Can't wait to see what you do!

Gisela

Gisela
12-13-2001, 08:51 PM
Wood and hydraulic jacks, huh? I just love creative thinkers! :cool:

Did you read Sassy's story about the steamroller?

Gisela

sassybird
12-15-2001, 09:22 AM
Tony,

To get the feel of cutting I would start with lino. Once you have played with that a bit give wood a try. You can do some neat things with the grain of wood that you can't get with lino.

Also, dremmel tools are great with wood. I have even used some attachments with lino. It gives the hands a bit of a rest from cutting too:D

Leaflin
12-26-2001, 09:12 PM
Hi Tony
My husband gave me a #2 Lino Cutter assortment and some lino for Christmas so I am anxious to have a crack at it.
He also gave me a baren.
When I did the woodcuts I posted on here I used the back of a wooden spoon and I can still remember how my fingers ached.

Sass I love the dremmel idea :)

DuncanBerenice
12-27-2001, 11:06 AM
Hi tony,

I was thinking of using a mangle, those old two rollers things used for squeezing water out of wet clothes in the olden days, the problem is I can't find any lol, it looks like I'll have to use a spoon instead.

I do like the idea of using a dremmel, which funnily enough I do have a mini drill that I could use instead.

Is there a Printmakers workshop near you? We have one in Aberdeen where you subscribe annually and you can use their presses and screenmeshes for printmaking, unfortunately Aberdeen is an hours drive away so its not worth me signing up until me kids are a good bit older.

Duncan

Tony Perrotta
12-27-2001, 11:17 AM
Hi as a matter of fact I just got a var. speed Dremel for X Mas. I know that with my old one I did all sort of work with it there great. I'll have to try engraving a printblock with it. As for the double roller thingy, I have a old mop bucket with one of those on it, still use it too. I don't know if there is enough pressure to print, but the one off a washer probably will work, just have to mount it on a sturdy bench.

Regards Tony

Gisela
12-27-2001, 11:37 AM
Funny that you should mention the old wringer washers. Have you seen the Dick Blick catalog? They carry a 'budget press' that looks exactly like the top off of one of those old washing machines! I was scouring the used appliance store for one intil I got my press. :D

Gisela

chris 97
12-28-2001, 06:11 PM
tony, you can use a rolling pin as your "press" if your print is small enuff for the roller part to cover the lino. also the lino (unmounted kind) is easier to cut if you warm it up a little. i fund an old warmer tray that was for keeping food warm on a buffett works.........finally found a use for the thing! (a wedding present from 32+yrs ago!!) good luck!

Tony Perrotta
12-29-2001, 08:56 AM
Hi Chris, Yeah I was thinking about that. We have a heavy marble rolling pin it should work, I am going to start small anyway if I ever get around to it, there are so many things going on right now my head is spinning.

Thanks Tony