Year Created: 2005
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 11x14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
OK............
You asked for it. A mediocre painting..........:
Went out painting with a friend in knee-deep snow.
We were going to paint HIS friend's sugar house,..where he's beginning this season's maple-syrup operation;..but wound up instead on top of a snowy meadow.

Maybe this should be called a "wip", as I'm going to put some finishing touches on it in the studio today................

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
All comments welcome........

Frida200
03-23-2005, 08:12 AM
OK............
You asked for it. A mediocre painting..........:

Oh Scott, you're toooooooooooooooo kind! :D
Okay. Here's my honest reaction: When I opened this, before I even read your comment, I thought "Ha! This one is there for Katelyn, cause she asked for a not-so-incredible painting". It does not have the usual glow...
So yes, right now, maybe it could pass.
But :mad: the safe seat is there already... it's a WIP!!!
"I'm going to put some finishing touches on it"... so much for the "mediocre", ha ha ha.

But thank you for being so nice :angel:

Claudia

P.s.: Interestig to see that group of trees almost right in the middle of the painting and not off-centered.

pero lane
03-23-2005, 09:40 AM
"Mediocre" my a**...it already has the beginnings of the Mattlin glow! :D :)

Spyderbabe
03-23-2005, 10:26 AM
It has really really good bones.

shirleyq
03-23-2005, 10:55 AM
Well, it is about time (she says as she ignores the wip remark) :evil:
The directional brush strokes on the snow need to be softened and fluffed which, you know of course, and are probably doing right now. :p Is that a tree you have started in the middle ground? I am sure it will glow and it will be interesting to see how you put the light in this.
I really love how you have made the dense woods recede.
I can't image you out in the snow painting, knowing how much you love your warm studio.....................was it good for you? :p Will you do it again?
Can't wait to see the finish and thanks for letting me help :evil: LOL

katelynalain
03-23-2005, 12:17 PM
AAAAH Haaaaaaa :D hey thanks!

right now my eye is drawn upward to that horizontal line across the top of the canvas. the painting feels a bit cut-off. i enjoy how you have created the feeling of branches and distance with so little. it appears fresh and almost hastily alla prima..at the moment that is. :) i really like seeing how your toned canvas works its magic as you build up your painting. super.

do you see how people enjoy being able to actually critique your work? LOL! but alas..you will fix it so that it sings and we will all have to sit back in awe and say 'bravo!'. i await that moment when you call it 'finished'.
:wave:

haaf
03-23-2005, 01:15 PM
Ha............ an abandoned one.......I'm making a note what you are going to do..........(dark thin browns for sure and........uhh :p ..........ok show us..)

mattlart
03-23-2005, 02:37 PM
OK; here we go,lol!

Claudia: my pleasure. I need LOTS of pleinair practice,..so this was an opportunity to show you an unfinishes "sketch" . Hope you like the finish. Cheers,-S

Pat- you are too kind. And;,,you crack me up. :D -S

Exactly Kathleen. Thank you. -S

Hi Shirley.....Yep, it was ALOT of fun! Good company, beautiful scenery,..and it really wasn't very cold. As for the "technical" parts of the painting;..well , I think it's done. Let me know what you think.-S

Yes Katelyn;..it was DEFINITELY hastily alla prima. ! My painting companion was a famous artist here in New England who's specialty is plein air. We became fast friends,and,..lol,..I told him that I was pretty intimidated.
It worked out ok.........
Your thoughts on this after I've spent a couple more hours on it in INSIDE would be appreciated. Cheers,-Scott

OK Caroline.......here we go:

shirleyq
03-23-2005, 02:48 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Another success :D as if we expected anything else!

haaf
03-23-2005, 02:59 PM
That's a very pretty re-visit.......Good work !
Juicy woods............question : how about a sliver of light trough all those branches at the top.........or too tacky?? Or does that belong in the chapter "how to ruin a good painting?"

Frida200
03-23-2005, 03:09 PM
Ah, there's the light!
Great changes, Scott, and interesting to see what you did to achieve this. It works so well. The light on the snow is great, and so are the shades. Beautiful colors!
(:mad: I knew it....)

katelynalain
03-23-2005, 03:56 PM
'BRAVO'.....
'BRAVO'.... :D
niiice finish..
of course! being a new englander myself, i can tell you have done a fine job making a very typical scene extraordinary. :) those new hampshire birches are perfect. clarifying the foreground really brings the eye all the way around the canvas so that i can enjoy it ALL. excellent fix! ;)

laketrees
03-23-2005, 11:49 PM
Hi Scott....the snow does look knee deep. :clap: ...extraordinary....I wish I could do the Australian Gums outside my place the same justice.... :envy: :D
cheers kim

mattlart
03-24-2005, 08:59 AM
Top O' the Mornin' to Ye! :wave: :D

Oh Shirley;..you little devil :) I didn't want to leave YOu SHORT-changed. ;)
Fondly,-Scott

Quite honestly Caroline;...I just don't want to screw up a good thing,lol!
This is (what I consider to be )..my first relatively successful pleinair painting. Never was satisfied with any before.
And so,..although your idea may be a good one,....I'm moving on to another painting,..grateful that this turned out well! ;) Great day to you :wave: -S

Thanks Claudia. You're right. This needed more distinctive lights and shadows.
You always make me smile when you post on any of my threads. Thanks for your keen eye and cute sense of humor. Cheers,-s

Thank you Katelyn!! Being a newcomer to this area;..your comment about doing justice to the local landscape makes my morning. MUCHAS GRACIAS! :)

Cheers Kim! Aren't gum trees similar (or the same) as the Eucalyptus that we have in the states?
If so,..you've found botanical bullion,...methinks! :)
They are, indeed..quite beautiful and unusual with their continuously peeling bark,;creamy- colored naked trunks and branches,..and "clouds" of foliage.
I've often fallen in love with the way the sunlight dances with these trees.
I say: Go out and paint them! Practice; you'll eventually nail them! :clap:
Have a good day,-Scott

pero lane
03-24-2005, 09:02 AM
Yep...there's the glow! A few tweaks here and there...you make it look so easy :envy: !!! A great finish Scott! :clap: :wave:

Gilberte
03-24-2005, 09:50 AM
I dropped in after the "grand finale"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2005/9813-klap_klap.gif

mattlart
03-27-2005, 06:03 PM
Thanks so much Pat and Gilberte! Best Wishes to you,-Scott

Anita Murphy
03-28-2005, 09:07 AM
Medicore my A**! If that is mediocre - I'm giving up now.

mattlart
03-28-2005, 10:06 PM
Laughing.........

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Keep painting;......we learn at our own pace. You will one day surprise yourself,Present! :D
Thanks for making me.................smile. :) -S