PDA

View Full Version : how do you deal with glare?

CAULFIELD
03-22-2005, 03:07 PM
Hi all!

One of the things I don't like about colored pencil is the glare you get on highly burnished pieces. Especially if they have small details. It makes it hard to see at a distance at all.

What have you done to deal with this?

:)
nicole

Weezy
03-22-2005, 03:16 PM
Shades, babe, shades! :wink2:

Just kidding! Sorry Nicole! It was off my finger tips before I could stop it! :evil:

How do you contend with that highly packed finish that develops??

Wondering minds would like to know.

AuntBe1
03-22-2005, 04:01 PM
Hard to see at a distance? lol I can't see with my bifocals on at my drawing table! Have to put the light at a severe angle just to see what I've painted. lol Some type of matt finish spray would be great!!!
Belinda

Gorilla
03-22-2005, 05:15 PM
Hi Nicole,
One suggestion is this.
When finished, after wiping the bloom away, spray with a "matte" workable fixative. I use Grumbacher Myston Workable Fixative, Matte.
The matte spray evens out the surface. If you frame with plexiglass the glare will also be reduced.
Jeffrey

CAULFIELD
03-23-2005, 08:30 AM
Thank you Jeffrey. I tried a different brand and it didn't do enough to me. I will have to try that brand.

Nicole

bearded bob
03-23-2005, 03:30 PM
I am surprised you get it Nicole, on the paper you use. Jeffrey's tip sounds great to me, if you want to lose it. The other approach is to limit the layers so you don't get massive wax build up. Often though I am looking for some shine. When doing berries or glossy petals, I sometimes take a cotton bud and polish the wax I have put down!

brynmr
03-23-2005, 09:06 PM
Hmmm...shine sounds ok to me. I would think that gives it more depth. Look at the oils hanging in museums. How come hard to see at a distance btw?

I have a problem with bloom myself.

Lucio
03-23-2005, 11:31 PM
Sometimes I use a fixative (matte finish) to reduce some glare, but I have to say that this problem is not so intense with oil based pencils like Polychromos and Pablo , because they are wax free. (I not sure if they are 100% wax free).
Lucio

CAULFIELD
03-24-2005, 09:57 AM
Lucio - I was just wondering that right before I opened this thread! Another reason to buy Polychromos!!

Bob - I know, I must have put on a bunch of layers! I start out working softly and once I have enough down I sometimes use pressure. I also did it on purpose with the one I'm working on - I knew some parts would end up burnished, so I decided it all had to be. So I am making sure I put layers of waxier pencils in between.

Tommy - It might not be a problem after I spray it - but when my brother and law was checking the likeness of the portrait I'm working on I noticed he had to get real close and kept on trying to look at it from different angles. The sheen is nice in some ways, but with teeny details, I find it hard to view. We'll see how the spray goes!

Nicole

RobinZ
03-24-2005, 05:32 PM
You can just switch to drawing dogs...then the shine works "with you" instead of against!!