Year Created: 2005
Medium: Oil
Surface: Linen
Dimension: 20x16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Today's work.

I've got a great model here;)
Probably helps that I am in love with her, as well.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
All comments are welcome and appreciated

marypainter
03-21-2005, 04:24 PM
I love the thick strokes in the background and foreground but that is different from the treatment of the body. Does that have a meaning or something?
I really like it a lot.
Cheers

Spyderbabe
03-21-2005, 04:29 PM
I think I am seeing little (human) shapes in the background near her left ear.
Another winner! Is this smaller than you usually work? The color combo doesn't fail, pose is lovely,flesh tones great....but the shadow on her hand seems off a bit to me.

purplepansey
03-21-2005, 04:37 PM
What a really lovely painting. Is the white suppose to represent bubble bath? If so, that is the only thing that bothers me it is a little too thick like a sheet or bath towel or whatever. Other than that I just love the colors and the atmosphere of the bath.
When do you give lessons?

laketrees
03-21-2005, 06:30 PM
Hi Scott.......Ahhhhh....it sure helps when you're in love with your subject.... :D :D ..paint rendering and colour superb...love the angle and the hair.... :clap: :clap:
cheers kim

Anita Murphy
03-21-2005, 06:31 PM
I've not seen something like this from you before. What a change to those stunning landscapes. But wow you did it again. Very pensive - what is she thinking? Regrets? Love the warmth and the texture. Totally yummy as usual!

mattlart
03-21-2005, 06:31 PM
Greetings..

Thanks for visiting Mary. When painting in oils;..I love to vary the surface texture with thick, juicy and expressive strokes contrasted against thinner, and tighter areas.
Simply the way that I paint. :) Cheers,-Scott

Hi Kathleen;. Yep,..Lisa's wanting me to do some 'surgery' on her hand as well. It's been done........................
Geez,..really;,I seem to find myself going back and forth in terms of size; one day;..a 9x12,....the next ,.a 30x40. It keeps things interesting.
Tomorrow,..I'm off to do some pleinair with a friend;..painting the "sugaring off shacks" and countryside where they are beginning to make maple syrup up here. Wish me luck. Best Wishes,-S

Lol,..well Purplepansey;..actually, I've been teaching art in some form since 1978. Mostly in California and Colorado.
What you see is, in fact, a down blanket. I really enjoy painting fabrics with lots of THICK paint. :) Take Care,-S

Mikey
03-21-2005, 06:38 PM
Scott, excellent as always, but here I'm quite taken up by the way you've pushed that fabulous hot background back with tonals and edges.

Mikey

A Few Pigments
03-21-2005, 07:37 PM
This reminds me of something from the movie Barbarella. I think itís the abstract background. All that texture in the background seems to overwhelm the figure and put the figure on the same plane as the background. Wonderful palette.

katelynalain
03-21-2005, 07:56 PM
:clap: yawn :clap: LOL! geezzz..could you just make a huge and obvious error once in a while so we would have something to talk about?! JUST KIDDING!..another incredible painting. i LOVE how you have contrasted the areas of real/fine brushstrokes with abstract/large smooshy brushstrokes. incredible. i can see your love for the brush AND the subject. wonderful. as usual.

giniaad
03-21-2005, 08:57 PM
another beauty, Scott!
I love your juicy applications!
her form looks great and she is lovely!

if this were done by me, and I wish it was...!
her right shoulder blade area...
the shoulder is in one color group...
this color group continues and extends
to the upper part of her shoulder blade
I think I would have continued that color group
for the last little lower bit of her shoulder blade...
just to make her blade all one.
BUT...it is not a big thing or very important
just sharing my thoughts
(that's what we are here to do :) )

I think it is fabulous!
love the depth shown in the two shoulders
one popping out in front and one fading into the back...great touch!
her hair ...your wonderfully great as usual!!!
bold and sensitive...definately passionate!

woopee, friend!!

dornberg
03-22-2005, 07:07 AM
i like the way the figure is lost in the surroundings, yet creates the surroundings

mattlart
03-22-2005, 09:19 AM
Cheers, Kim. :) I'm pleased that the enthusiasm for this subject, in particular,..............is apparent. Thank you for your lovely words.
Have a fine day,-S

Lol,...present. Quite frankly;..after reading your comments about what Lisa was thinking here;..I can't quote her in a public forum,..but it made me smile.
Let's just say;..that we were on a very decadent and relaxing vacation in a very private setting in northern California, We had an extremely enjoyable morning just prior to taking the reference photos for this painting. :) :evil: :angel:
Thank you for your comments. Best Wishes,-Scott

Thank you for these kind words Mikey. At this point;..most of the lost edges and abstract strokes, and palette are pretty intuitive. Have a great day,-S

Barbarella. OY. ;) I suppose there could be more depth in this one, true.
I certainly didn't use a bit of 'chiarrascurro' , or any other device for creating a sense of space here, Afewpigments.
"In person",..the figure is separated enough from the backround to satisfy my eye. But thank you for your observations, and taking the time to visit.
Best Wishes to you,-S

Wow :) Obviously, a well thought out critique, Gini.
I THINK I understand what you're saying about the shoulder blade. If so,..the change was intentional to highlight the lit edge of her upper shoulder.
Perhaps,lol;...you are right-on, and I'm simply too dense at the moment to "get-it" :)
Man;..it's true;.........................I do love throwing that thick-n-juicy paint,..and playing with it for all it's worth!
Have a great day, my friend,-Scott

EXACTLY DORNBERG. Thank you. :D Best Wishes,-S

I've made some subtle changes: Have a great day all.

Flloyd
03-22-2005, 09:52 AM
Lordy lordy, this is gorgeous. I love your ability to make the subject the obvious focal point without slapping the viewer in the face with it. Much to look at and enjoy, at her and all around. When you get a chance, could you email me some of your talent? Thanks!

Flloyd

Moosehead
03-22-2005, 10:24 AM
As usual Scott, a beauty. Of figurative painting, I think your's is my favourite.

Your subject is perfection.

I think the background works well, generally. The directional variety of brushstrokes and colour (which is just subdued enough) are enough to create some additional interest without distracting from the subject. The only thing I'm not sure about is the impasto in the background-perhaps distracts a bit too much from the subject?

Obviously other disagree, and I hope one day to be half the painter you are, but hey, I've got to post some actual critiques once in a while-this is the "Critique Forum".

Spyderbabe
03-22-2005, 10:25 AM
:wave: Hey Scott! Much better!
(If you're new here, click on Scott's name and spend some time looking at all the threads he has started. You'll some absolutely stunning work - figures and landscapes. It's quite a treat!)

pero lane
03-22-2005, 10:36 AM
:clap: yawn :clap: LOL! geezzz..could you just make a huge and obvious error once in a while so we would have something to talk about?!

:D Yea Scott...it sure would be nice to have you make some boo-boos every great once in a while! :D

This is really awesome!! I love everything about it!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

shirleyq
03-22-2005, 12:30 PM
Your figurative pieces continue to get better and better.The backgrounds are interesting and I do not find that they compete at all with the figure...........also, can't believe no one has mentioned the hair........wonderful as usual. The art critic who lives in my house. :p .......you know who he is Scott..............loves your figureative work more than your landscapes. In my mind, they are all beautiful. :)

PS Forgot to mention how much I am learning from your play of light on the skin.

giniaad
03-22-2005, 04:08 PM
you said...
"Perhaps,lol;...you are right-on, and I'm simply too dense at the moment to "get-it""
I say...
you are never too dense!
sometimes I need time to think about what is said
and with that time and looking, I finally understand what is said.
(weather agreeing or not, the understanding part is good)
Basically...
within responce time, there is not enough time to take it all in, I think.
so if you are dense, so am I...oh my! :eek: :)
(it could also be the digital picture or my monitor pixelizing a place)

Ultimately, like I said, it is not important anyway
and takes nothing away from this beautiful work!

Happy Trails!
hope your day of painting was great!

mattlart
03-23-2005, 07:21 AM
Good Morning All,

Hey Ffloyd,......good to hear from you.!
Man,..I enjoy your work, as well. You have absolutely no reason for any "artistic envy". You've got the...................magic in you,lol! Best,-S

Howdy Jon;...how are you my friend?
I'm glad that it feels like you basically like the painting.
The impasto really doesn't detract,..in that;..her hair was also painted very thickly;..and, in person.,..Lisa and I agree that the painting works.(She's a TOUGH critic, with an educated eye! :wink2: :evil: :D ) Cheers Eh, -S

LOL! Thank you so much for the "plug" Kathleen.You're a sweetheart. Best,-S

Thank you Pat. OK. Today ,..I'm going to post yesterday's pleinair painting;..and you'll see some pretty mediocre work :)
BUT,lol,..I am going to "complete" it in the studio today. Best Wishes,-Scott

GREAT to hear from you Shirley. Just got your email. At first, didn't recognize the address. I'll write later.
So John likes my figures better? Hmm. That's actually kinda nice. There are many that agree with him,lol! I need to work on my landscapes! :)
Have a great day,-S

Exactly, Gini.
I find that particularly as I am growing a bit older,(at least chronologically ;) );........my mind is somewhat ....................different.
Not neccessarily slower. Slighty more.........ponderous. There is more going on up there,...........yet the intense focus of my youth has transformed into a slower, more studied pace.
Then again, :) :evil: ;..it coulda been all of those damned aluminum pots that we've been cooking in for years!
Of course,......we could discuss the humorous aspects of getting older for some time, I would imagine;..but not...........here.
Anyway, thank you for your suggestions;.and have a GREAT day!-Scott :wave:

Esmeralinda
03-23-2005, 07:56 AM
Scott, you might get tired of hearing this but this is GREAT! You know I love what you do. So stylish. Colours, strokes, subject, all beautiful. Lisa looks amazing. Your love is obvious. :wink2:

Take care,

Linda :wave:

mattlart
03-23-2005, 10:06 PM
Thank you Linda. Sometimes you get lucky,..and the enthusiasm comes through. :) Cheers,-Scott