PDA

View Full Version : Purple Finch

Bevahlee
03-21-2005, 11:37 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Mar-2005/54805-Purple_Finch500.jpg

this is on gatorboard and I used gold in it (acrylic paint). I usually don't, but I liked it so now I'm using it in a "bigun" I'm working on.
this one is only 32x30.

printzessofthenorth
03-21-2005, 11:46 AM
Bev,

This has the feel of a spring meadow by moonlight. I'm having a very favorable response to it. It feels balanced to me. Interesting colors. I think the gold in conjunction with the dark colors are what make it feel like a 'nighttime' painting.

debbieryder

scorpio32
03-21-2005, 11:58 AM
is it possible to see it bigger?

Bevahlee
03-21-2005, 12:34 PM
Maybe I can alter it in Photoshop without too much distortion. I'll see if I can.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Mar-2005/54805-Purple_Finch500.jpg

Spyderbabe
03-21-2005, 01:24 PM
Bev,
These lush royal colors call for gold - working so well here. (I love using gold paint) Could you tell us someting about the process? Are the gold squiggles made with a thickener? Are there collaged areas? What is the square shape on the top center that is showing as kind of fuzzy ochre?
32 x 30 would be large for me!
Kathleen

FriendCarol
03-21-2005, 01:46 PM
It feels as if I'm high over this sheltered valley, and just a little shaft of light still penetrates from behind me to highlight a few of the twigs, high above the floor of this woodland. Did the gold paint do its own modeling, or did you add that with a brush?

I think I see a finch. The large blue things in front feel like thistles obscuring my view. :) I like this.

Bevahlee
03-21-2005, 01:54 PM
Bev,
These lush royal colors call for gold - working so well here. (I love using gold paint) Could you tell us someting about the process? Are the gold squiggles made with a thickener? Are there collaged areas? What is the square shape on the top center that is showing as kind of fuzzy ochre?
32 x 30 would be large for me!
Kathleen

Usually I glue a sheet of paper of some sort on the surface, maybe even that thin tissue paper you use for gift wrapping. It gives me a surface that i can begin to build up. Then I usually make a kind of solid background...starting with my light/dark pattern, then I usually take several bottles of paint that are close in value to the area (whether light or dark) and drizzle paint over that area so that it has more texture. After that dries I do a dragging of another color over those ridges (maybe still close in value) but different in color, or maybe same color, different intensity. After that dries I sometimes do a wash over an area. Thinned down white paint or dark paint (I would wash light over some of the dark areas and vice versa. This settles into the textures. Sometimes I tip the canvas so that it runs, sometimes I don't.
I usually NEVER mean to have a purple finch or yellow doll hidden in my painting. It's a title that's as ambiguous as the painting itself. Otherwise it limits it. Some abstract artists call their paintings vision1/intent/understanding....whatever keeps it "broader" and allows the viewer to see it any way they might. and that yellow ochre shape is one of those happy accidents.( It's where I scumbled gold over yellow ochre.) It just happened.

MountainSong
03-21-2005, 01:59 PM
Bev your palette cuts right to the heart of my artist being this is breath taking to me. So rich and full bodied. Thanks for sharing this beauty.

I wanna be like you when I grow up (as an artist) and everything. :p

Bevahlee
03-21-2005, 02:12 PM
I wanna be like you when I grow up (as an artist) and everything. :p[/QUOTE]
oh no...no you don't...be careful what you wish for. lol. I should have done a lot more physical stuff. I'm gettin old and decrepit. lol ;)

Spyderbabe
03-21-2005, 02:57 PM
Thanks, Bev. I know that once you get started these things take on a life of their own. When you think you're done, then you get to sit back and see what emerged.
The happy accidents like that gold/ochre square are gifts.

Bevahlee
03-21-2005, 03:36 PM
Thanks, Bev. I know that once you get started these things take on a life of their own. When you think you're done, then you get to sit back and see what emerged.
The happy accidents like that gold/ochre square are gifts.

got that right. They do, so the main thing I have to do is get outta the WAAAAAYYY. :cat:

scorpio32
03-22-2005, 01:29 AM
thank you for enlarging it for all to see.I like it alot.That blue on the right all the way thru seems almost like some kind of ancient calligraphy. :)

Tamana
03-22-2005, 07:42 AM
This is a remarkable integration of color, Bev. The design & placement of such exhibits excellent balance and the overall mood conveys more of a feeling to me than that which is seen.

Daybreak and only the songs can be heard. Wonderful.

Lynxes123
03-22-2005, 06:19 PM
Don't know what to say except, I LOVE THIS, that gold and darkness is beautiful :clap:

Even If It Rains
03-23-2005, 05:21 PM
This appeals to me, the colours, suggestion of depth , good balance of push and pull.