PDA

View Full Version : The Oil Gusher, March 21 - 27

Pat Isaac
03-21-2005, 08:34 AM
Good morning everyone,

Spring is here, at least according to the calendar, so stop by for a chat. Did you know you could stand an egg on end during the Vernal Equinox??

It's been fun to share our artwork, and now we have a place to get to hear what you are doing, and share all that other interesting stuff that happens in our daily lives.

Tell us about yourself, your family (two or four-legged) and your ups and downs, or your in betweens.

The "Oil Gusher" is not the place to discuss politics, religion or our philosophies about life. WetCanvas provides both public and private chatrooms and a Debate forum for our members for this type of lengthy discussion. We want to make this a place for gentle camaraderie.

Please join us!
:) :) :)

John B
03-21-2005, 11:21 AM
Hello Pat and everyone :wave:

Busy day tomorrow I have to chair an investigation into a major incident at work. Not a pleasant start to a week, but least tomorrow night I will be able to relax and unwind at my art class. :)

Gail (my Wife and life partner) and I are going down to Summerset for the Easter break, a little town called Shepton Mallet, to visit her sister and husband.

A lovely part of the country this, and legend has it that Glastonbury, nearby, is the ancient site of Avalon and the seat of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. :rolleyes:

There should be ample opportunity to sketch, paint and build up my photo ref. Library.

By the way Pat the painting in the Soft Pastel Forum is 'Man through Glass Brick. WIP!'

Happy painting all

John :wave:

stonewhiteclown
03-21-2005, 12:45 PM
Hi Pat and John and everyone! :wave:

We have wierd weather last few days. It's fairly sunny (but not that warn unforunately), then enter heavy clouds and it's blowing snow like hell! May be still sunny at this point! Few minutes and it's nice again lol.
I'm finally feeling okay to get back to work tomorrow. I stayed home for entire last week having cought flu or something. I've had flu jab last autemn though :confused:

Here's the link to John's soft pastel:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257918
I've seen it last week by a chance and what a brilliant conception! Bravo John!

Pat Isaac
03-21-2005, 05:37 PM
Thanks, Alex for the link to John's painting. I am glad that you are feeling better now. Those old flu bugs can lay you low for a long time. Our weather is trying to be spring, but not doing very well at it.

John, what an awesome piece!!! :clap: You did a wonderful job with the reflections, very ambitious. I agree, you should enter it in a show somewhere. What art class are you taking? I know from past experience it is not a pleasant task to deal with an investigation into a work situation. I hope it goes well for you. Your trip over Easter break sounds wonderful and I hope to see any paintings from your pics.

I had to spend most of the day dealing with transferring membership names at our studio association. A new treasurer has taken over and it meant a while at the bank. Not much painting done today. My 2 daughters, who live nearby, and their families will be here for Easter and the annual egg hunt. I surely hope that the snow is melted by then, but I am doubtful. My other daughter and family who live out of state will be arriving after Easter for a week. Her children have a different spring break than here. It will be nice to spend time with family and the painting will be on hold for awhile.

I went to the frame store last week to get frames for the pieces that I had finished for my show.....ugh....and there will be more.....

Till later, :wave:
Pat

John B
03-22-2005, 10:43 AM
Hi Pat, Alex, :wave:

Thank you for your kind comments; I will try to become worthy by doing something similar in oil pastels. :)

Pat, the investigation went well this morning no one hurt, no damage to company and no one fired! Lots of good and constructive lessons learned, onwards and upwards.

Weather is cloudy with a 'sea fret' (sea mist) here, but we are assured by the Met. Office, that it will be fine for Easter. :angel:

Art class tonight, I attend a general art class each class mate working in there chosen medium, Couple of other pastellist, watercolour and oils, I am the only one who works in oil pastel. I caused quite a stir when I first took along my Sennelier Oil Pastels, even the Tutor had seen nothing like them before. :rolleyes:

Must go, need to compose a painting as a gift for my Sister-in -Law.

Happy thoughts to you all

John :wave:

vltz
03-22-2005, 12:51 PM
I'm still experimenting with my OP's but it's been slow going since I've been fighting with the flu and haven't had much energy. I should have my latest work done by the weekend though--too bad RL keeps getting in the way of my play time! :wink2:

I did go take my dog to her last class in basic obedience last night--she graduated and brought home a certificate, a new ball and a bag of doggy treats! I think I was more excited than she was! :D
Virginia

Dyin
03-22-2005, 05:38 PM
Hi all...been awhile, as I too have been blasted by the flu...totally worthless for two weeks! Today I did an oil miniature tho, so at least I can paint again. It's sort of like not breathing for two weeks lol!
I'm glad you're better Alex and hope you soon feel better too, Virginia. Congrats on the puppy certificate!
John...way cool concept! Hope you have a wonderful visit.
Pat...didn't know that about the egg...durn, missed trying it out :p
I haven't had the time yet to look at all the artwork, but I'll try to catch up over the next few days. talk to you later :wave:

Pat Isaac
03-23-2005, 08:00 AM
Hey Sue, so sorry to hear that you have been ill all that time. No fun. I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better now and back painting.
Glad all worked out with the investigation, John. It is nice to know that sometimes things are learned from situations like that.
Hope you are feeling better soon Virginia so you can "play".
We are going to have winter again after 50 degrees yesterday. Big storm coming in tonight, 10 - 12" of snow. UGH. That really will put a damper on the easter egg hunt. I did it indoors once before, but not sure I want to go that route again.
My daughter and family from Maryland will be arriving at the beginning of the week, so I probably won't be on line much. The kids tend take over the computer while they are here.
Show paintings coming along and I saw the gallery space yesterday. It is beautiful, but large so I think I will have to put in some older pieces to help fill the space.
Take care everyone and get better.

Pat :wave:

Dyin
03-23-2005, 09:42 AM
Hey Pat...hope you have a good time with the family...wow..your snow will take forever to melt off! Stay snug and warm :)

artbyjune
03-26-2005, 02:36 AM
Hope everyone who has had Flu' etc...are all feeling a lot better now!!

And just a quick...

HAPPY EASTER ALL :music: :music:

From June

CM Neidhofer
03-26-2005, 03:31 AM
Happy Easter everyone!

haridasa67
03-26-2005, 04:35 AM
WetCanvas, a great place to be. Happy Easter Everyone. I was gifted heaps of Easter eggs, and the local church sent little girls to distribute free sweet buns in the neighbourhood. Great gesture of peace of love.
Anoop

Pat Isaac
03-26-2005, 08:09 AM
What a nice custom, anoop.
Our yard is realtively clear of snow now, just a few piles and the weather promises to be sunny and 50 degrees tomorrow!! so that sounds as if we will be able to have the egg hunt outside for the grandchildren.
Hope everyone is well now.

HAPPY EASTER ALL!! :music: :music: :wave:

Pat

Becky Foster
03-28-2005, 05:06 PM
Hello everyone - hope you're all healthy and happy. Easter was beautiful and warm (50 f) here in southwestern Maine. The kids (4 and 2) had a great time and we had a great time watching them dig through their baskets and find all the eggs the Easter Bunny left for them. Went to a local green house for another egg hunt and then sent the older one off with his Auntie and the little one took a nap and I got to take off snowshoing in the woods for about 3 hours. Snapped some shots of a little stream (I dream of painting landscapes, we'll see if anything comes out of it :o). The woods are still snowy (we've had tons of snow this year), but there were a few bare patches. Perfectly lovely. Then dinner and ANOTHER egg hunt at Gramma's...spoiled rotten children with enough candy in the house to last a year.

Now it's sleeting and awful out and the bilge pump in the basement's been running all day. Spring at last. Got to paint for a couple hours this afternoon - still working on my toad, getting those strange eyes done. He's (or she's) starting to get more of that curious look I was going for - progress!

Happy spring everyone!
-BeckyT