PDA

View Full Version : The Fiddler

DLevy
03-20-2005, 03:42 PM
This is a quick proof print of the linocut I've been working on in the past week. The idea was inspired by "fiddler on the roof" and after a few sketches and playing around with the image on the computer I started cutting. The cut was done a little hastefull and I guess it shows so I was thinking of doing it again, any way, I was hoping to get some critic and advice here...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Mar-2005/52856-fiddler.jpg
So, what do you think? Any ideas on what should be changed or kept in this image

Thanks

Danny

Diane Cutter
03-20-2005, 05:37 PM
Danny... This has a lot of good stuff going on here. I like your tipsy houses, and the open-air theater. The guy is great... his hands, hair, face... wonderful... and it's very clear what he is doing. Wonderful story going on here...

I've got a couple of suggestions... I'm having a little trouble reading the front of the fiddler's coat, just under his violin, where it meets the roof. I'm not sure how to change that... maybe gradually taper off into the black instead of such a strong triangle. Also, I think you could just hint at the rest of the shingles behind him, with just a few lines cut to indicate the rest of the shingles...

Also, what is the size of the lino?

Great job... can't wait to see the finished product!

Diane

printzessofthenorth
03-20-2005, 09:02 PM
Hi Danny,

I agree with Diane's suggestion about the shingles. Other than that I don't have any to add. I like this very much. And I would like to know what tool you used to cut out the pin point stars. This is wonderful.

debbieryder

H2O_Baby
03-21-2005, 07:04 AM
Danny:

I knew what it was before I read your text, so you told the story well!

I like the way the moonlignt plays with the people, the white heads in the foreground, the black sillouetes (did I butcher the spelling?) in the background, and the couple lit by the church.

I have two questions about light source angles:

I am not sure what is going on in the window under the fiddler to the left - it looks like it would not catch the moon. The couple in the church would really be backlit but I don't care, what you did works for me.

I personally think those of you who ask for critique are brave, but I do like the kind way in which this group gives it!

DLevy
03-21-2005, 07:15 AM
Diane and Debbie, thanks for your comments.
I like your tipsy houses, and the open-air theater. The guy is great... his hands, hair, face... wonderful... and it's very clear what he is doing. Wonderful story going on here...
After looking at it for some time now I think it is the big house in the middle that I'm not quite satisfied with, it was supposed to be more of a silhouette and merge with the background but then it looked all black so I added the lines and now it looks too two-dimensional I guess :confused: . I also noticed that I forgot to cut one of the windows and in my sketch the fiddlers hair is white… :o

I've got a couple of suggestions... I'm having a little trouble reading the front of the fiddler's coat, just under his violin, where it meets the roof. I'm not sure how to change that... maybe gradually taper off into the black instead of such a strong triangle. Also, I think you could just hint at the rest of the shingles behind him, with just a few lines cut to indicate the rest of the shingles...

I tried it out on the sketch in the computer and I can't quite get it right but I'll give a second shot at it later on and see what happens… :)

Also, what is the size of the lino?

Sorry about that, It's 7"x9" :blush:

I agree with Diane's suggestion about the shingles. Other than that I don't have any to add. I like this very much. And I would like to know what tool you used to cut out the pin point stars.

I used a V-gauge for all of the linocut. To do the stars I just pressed the edge of it into the lino and turned it. The size of the circle varies with the angle you hold it and the amount of pressure you use. They aren’t so small, though, and I wanted to be able to cut more finely. I got the speedball type lino cutters (the kind with one handle and a few heads) but they weren't sharp at all so I have to sharpen them first and then I'll see if the No. 1 blade can do better.

I'm making this print as a gift for friends who are getting married next week. I think this would make a nice greeting card ;) . I hope I'll finish it on time

Danny

DLevy
03-21-2005, 07:46 AM
H2O

I was busy typing the above and didn't see you’ve just posted. Thanks for your reply; I think the critique in this forum is very good. It's not only the encouragement but especially the good advice and comments on how to improve that I value.

I have two questions about light source angles:
I am not sure what is going on in the window under the fiddler to the left - it looks like it would not catch the moon. The couple in the church would really be backlit but I don't care, what you did works for me.

The light in the window should be from the inside I guess. I didn't want to leave the window plain white so I left the lines to imply a light bulb or candle, should it be made more obvious?
I wanted the main light to come from the center as if the couple is glowing. I suppose it’s a symbol of how they are lighting the lives of the people around :) Anyway, because of that I left them as silhouettes.
(truth is I don't know if I could cut anything with finer details that looked better :p)

Danny

Diane Cutter
03-21-2005, 09:00 AM
Danny...

I saw the light in the window as candle light from within... In fact, I think it has a nice design element since it repeats the moon's rays...

Don't touch the hair... white might have looked nice in your sketch, but I think it reads beautifully (in my humble opinion)...

I don't think you can do anything more with your wedding party... (not much lino left) and I think the sketchy details give the impression of distance...

I meant to mention earlier that your plate should ink nicely since you have a lot of black areas near the edges and also that nice black border. I don't know if it was intentional but you've saved yourself inking headaches later.

Speaking of inking, I know this is a proof, so not perfect... but make sure you ink your large dark areas evenly with lots of thin layers and you'll have a nice even black tone. I noticed that it's a little patchy (not bad... and I know this is a proof... so take it as a gentle suggestion for success in the final edition pull)...

How many will you be doing? I'd love to have one of these... Selling? Wanna trade?

Diane

doug_h
03-21-2005, 09:24 AM
This is wonderful. A lot to keep the eye moving and interested. I think the only thing I see that could be added is a terminus to the fiddle. Adding some white dots for those little string adjuster thingies (I have no idea what they're called.) Your friends are going to love and cherish this piece.

Ari Sutton
03-21-2005, 10:34 AM
Danny,

Nice job. I just saw Fiddler on Broadway last weekend. Took a round trip from Massachusetts to NY last Sunday. It was awesome. I've probably seen it 10 or 15 times before, but this was one of the best performances. I highly recommend it to anyone who can get there while Harvey Fierstein is still the lead.

I like the folksy style of the buildings. The only thing I would change, is the window on the second building from our left. It is too close to the corner of the house and looks totally out of place. I would also put the synagogue building in perspective more. It is the only building that looks flat. I love the crowd and the chuppah scene. The fiddler is well done. I would like to see some more texture in the fiddler's hair. Some highlights where the moonlight hits it at least. I agree with Doug about the near end of the violin. It appears to end at the top of the neck without a tuning area. The white tuning keys will help. Otherwise a very thin outline, especially towards the left (the moon side). I know it is mostly in the shadows, but it needs something.

Hope this is helpful.

CBHutch
03-21-2005, 03:13 PM
Danny--I love this! You can use any of the great suggestions by everyone else, but it also stands on its own now. It has a nice, fresh feel that doesn't seem to need (or indeed want) perfect perspective. I also feel that the print keeps your eye moving from place to place--it's delightful (I also would love to trade/buy one from you!)!

You mentioned something about a greeting card which puzzled me--this print would make a tremendous gift framed!

Cheryl

DLevy
03-21-2005, 03:13 PM
Reading your replies and looking at the print some more I've decided to try and redo it. I've made a few changes to the first block and practiced my inking and printing, this time with oil based ink (speedball- the only one I can get here) and Fabriano No.4 paper. The inking came out better, I'm following Andrew's advice to work it out thin so the fine details don't get blocked but this time I put on more layers. I didn't realize how long it takes to ink bigger plates… anyway, when it's dry I'll try and scan it. I added the end of the violin (can't believe I've missed that :o. thanks, Doug and Ari) it came out a little skew but I'll get it right in the remake. I also added a bit to the main building to break it's flat appearance which seems to be better and a few other things which your comments got me thinking of.
Diane, I'm planning on making an addition of 18 prints and since most of my friends are married by now I would be very happy to trade…
Thank you all for your comments, its helping me sort out my thoughts and see things I haven’t noticed or overlooked. Now let's hope my skills will be up to the task in the second try :)

Danny

DLevy
03-21-2005, 03:28 PM
You mentioned something about a greeting card which puzzled me--this print would make a tremendous gift framed!

Cheryl

Forgot the ;)

Seriously so, I think I'll write under the title (which I still have to think of…) a short dedication or blessing and sign for both my wife and I.

Printmakerguy
03-21-2005, 05:29 PM
I like this print a lot- plenty of stuff going on!

The only thing that popped out to me was the fiddle/coat thing, which Diane and Doug both pointed out as well- Define the fiddle a bit more, and you have a real winner here :clap:

-Andrew

DLevy
03-29-2005, 03:17 AM
So, here is my second try at this print
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2005/52856-fiddler2.jpg
This time I printed it on Waterford paper which has more of a creamy colour (in the scan it looks a little yellowish…) and the size is a little bigger- 8"x10".
The print looks a lot more similar to my original sketch especially when looking at the fiddler. It took me some time to finish since I messed up part of it and had to fix it (see if you can guess where…) I haven’t quite made up my mind about the final result, what do you think?

Danny

vhere
03-29-2005, 03:40 AM
it's fun and lively - and gives me a distinct feeling of vertigo worrying about him sliding off that steep tilted rooftop!

I like it :cat:

CBHutch
03-29-2005, 08:28 AM
Danny--It's absolutely wonderful!!! :clap:

Cheryl

doug_h
03-29-2005, 08:40 AM
Danny, I think you nailed it. The fiddle is great. This is a great print.

Jetsam
03-29-2005, 10:08 AM
Wow - wonderful print in all respects. Well done, great composition that allows us a peek in to a scene. All I can do is add my compliments! - Carol

Diane Cutter
03-29-2005, 10:35 AM
It's wonderful... Love all the improvements and I cannot find where you 'fixed' it anywhere... What a great print!

Diane

sassybird
03-29-2005, 10:51 AM
I looked at this when you first posted it and was impressed. Now that I see the finished version I am even more impressed. You did a wonderful job protraying this story.

DLevy
03-29-2005, 03:39 PM
I've just prepared the print for my friend (the one getting married). Looking at the end result I'm very satisfied and after reading all the compliments am also confident that he will like this gift.
Thanks for all the comments, help and encouragement.
:)
Danny

Ari Sutton
03-29-2005, 09:14 PM
Danny,

I like the improvements on the violin. The roof shingles look good, but I kind of liked them less defined. Maybe somewhere inbetween would be best. Good job?