PDA

View Full Version : He Maketh Me to Lie down

Bevahlee
03-20-2005, 02:18 PM
this is the second picture for the 23rd Psalm competition. It's only roughed in right now
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Mar-2005/54805-He_maketh.jpg

I had her lying flat and she looked daid. So I raised one knee. Now I wish I had moved the basket over. Of course when I start I just glue fabrics to my board and didn't even plan the basket, but the weave was there. Now the horizon meets the basket, so that has to change and that pattern in the background...hmmm, that IS going to be a challenge. Anyway, this is the rough beginning. :eek:

Mikey
03-20-2005, 05:07 PM
Hi Bevhalee, it is very hard for to to offer any comments on this kind of work, but be sure I'll follow with interest.

Mikey

Bevahlee
03-20-2005, 05:26 PM
Me too Mikey. ;)

Bevahlee
03-21-2005, 03:26 PM
think I may move the birds to the right. This is still just mopped in.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Mar-2005/54805-step_two.jpg

Mikey
03-21-2005, 06:45 PM
Is it me, orcould her head and neck be more relaxed. She is beig appropiately attentive though I guess, so maybe not.

Mikey

Bevahlee
03-21-2005, 06:52 PM
Is it me, orcould her head and neck be more relaxed. She is beig appropiately attentive though I guess, so maybe not.

Mikey
ah Mikey, yeah, I see what you mean. I haven't modeled her neck yet and that may help. Also that basket of clothes...two people have said it looks like a "box" so that needs some fixin too. And of course, the birds are going to have more form and shading in them. and the grass will too. Might need something in that distant water. (a box of Tide floating away?) heh heh..hmm, maybe a woman washing clothes in the distance. kind of like her alone though...more thinkin to do.

Mikey
03-21-2005, 06:55 PM
Something in that water for sure. Are the birds meaningful as far as the girl is concerned.

Mikey

Bevahlee
03-21-2005, 09:03 PM
um no, but I wanted something to make it look peaceful and be a stylized image (not too realistic) like the creatures are in the other 23rd psalm painting. They're the "enemy" and these would be friends. Maybe cows? He maketh me to lie down in green pastures. nah, that's too corny and literal.

Bevahlee
03-22-2005, 10:50 AM
okay so here's an update...still tons of work to go. I'll add a lot more color to the "field" and the birds and the figure will be clothed (in the backgroud and have a cloth in the water.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2005/54805-winter_flowers_036.jpg

something not right about her left arm. hmmmmm

Bevahlee
03-22-2005, 01:47 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2005/54805-winter_flowers.jpg

Okay the basket had to go, so I had to literally cut it out because it was a glued on texture. But it was in the way. She needed to recline a little more and her arm was uncomfortable, and the rock under her head I need to turn into a folded up coat. I'll have to fold something to get it right. Dang, the hardest part is keeping it all stylized the same and not get it too realistic looking. Might have to just restart

Bevahlee
03-22-2005, 05:11 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2005/54805-winter_flowers_038.jpg

umm, well not as exciting as it might have been, but now to the fine tuning stage.

Mikey
03-22-2005, 08:12 PM
Bevahlee, it's working better for me without that basket, because I couldn't tie it in with the rest stylewise.

Mikey

Bevahlee
03-22-2005, 08:39 PM
Me either Mikey. Any bugaboos?

Mikey
03-22-2005, 08:43 PM
In the water, just above her head. I was thinking you'd be working on that light blue area. I think the water is better for being broken up though. But then again, still waters?

Mikey

Bevahlee
03-22-2005, 09:21 PM
yeah, that's the dilemma. I need to make it "still waters" although you would only have ripples coming out from the woman washing in "still waters" not a choppy flowing river. but still, I need to keep it consistent with the rest of the painting...still thinking about that one.

A Few Pigments
03-23-2005, 02:24 AM
I like your last post of this. It has much better definition of the forms and this palette of colours works well. The reflections off the water add a lot to the verisimilitude of the painting. Keep going, you’re doing great. :)

Mikey is one of the best teachers you could have to help you with this.

Mikey
03-23-2005, 05:50 AM
My own experience of throwing stones into ponds tells me that as you had it previously a somewhat large rock would be needed to create those ripples and the amplitude of the wave would lessen with distance.

My own take on this Psalm is that we can come to the still waters and receive peace, assurance and well being, which will take us through the darkest of nights in life's valleys.

Hi Bruce

Mikey

Bevahlee
03-23-2005, 07:46 AM
thanks Bruce. Yeah, Mikey is a good helper. Mikey, I really liked the idea of the woman having a basket of clothes to wash. The "he maketh me to lie down in green pastures" could be so many things..a respite from the daily grind, a place of peace for the soul in turmoil, whatever...but the basket wasn't working, so maybe now she's helping her sister with the clothes and she has just lay down to rest a bit. I like to keep it more ambiguous and not be so literal ...like having a cup running over someplace or oil spilling on her head. lol. But I'm still having problems with the three birds. I want them to be large enough to be enjoyable to look at, but ...oh well, this is where I got in trouble with this piece in the first place; making it too literal and "real". I felt like the other piece (thou preparest a table before me) worked so much better because I wasn't trying to make it "real." lol. Anyway, I appreciate all the help. I may just have to move on to the next one. (yeah though I walk) and put this one aside for a while

Mikey
03-23-2005, 08:18 AM
Yes, I think we can tie ourselves down and prevent the flow of creativity by being too literal. I may begin my imaginative paintings with an agenda, but have to be sensitive enough to realise what is happening a I paint.

Mikey

Bevahlee
03-23-2005, 02:34 PM
Mikey, this is unrelated to this painting, but is there a forum where people discuss good places to ordere this or that from? I've been looking for LeFranc and Bourguois acrylic flashe vinyl and don't see any suppliers in the US, but Lascaux comes close to that quality, but I only can find it at Jerry's art supplies. I stopped ordering from them years ago because they were so unreliable. Anyway, thought I'd get an answer here. hope you don't mind.

Mikey
03-23-2005, 02:47 PM
Dick Blick apparently sell both makes.
http://www.dickblick.com/categories/acrylics/
I only use Golden Acrylics myself.

Questions like this would usually be appropiate for the Acrylics Forum.

Mikey

Bevahlee
03-23-2005, 07:16 PM
i use Golden fluid acrylics and Golden acrylics, but for a really matte finish I loved the LeFranc and Bourguois flashe vinyl. Haven't found anything quite to compare, but I may try the liquitex high viscosity paints. thanks.

Bevahlee
03-26-2005, 07:09 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2005/54805-winter_flowers_054.jpg

are the birds too naturalistic? Should they be stylized more by making them just solid shapes?

Mikey
03-26-2005, 07:24 PM
I don't think the birds at too naturalistic, though you do seem to have a dominance of blues now. We normally think of red as being dominant and pulling an object forward. However colour saturation has the same effect and the blue of the birds dominates the softer reds in the girl. You'll see that the lower key blues in the garments are fine and do not compete at all, but rather enhance the warm flesh. I also think that if you do still use blue for the birds then it creates a sweeping curve of colour which will have some kind of strong significance.

Mikey

Bevahlee
03-26-2005, 08:14 PM
I think I may quiet the water down a bit and pull a braid across the blue fabric. Any more details you think it needs?

Mikey
03-27-2005, 07:02 AM
Hi Bevahlee, I've had a rethink, not to take back what I said previously, but to accept what is. What I want to accept is the peace coming not directly from the water, but the woman who is doing her washing. Then everything in this painting comes right and the saturated blue of the birds is explained. A piece of blue braid might even add to that statement. I think if you put this on the main forum more or less as it is then a lot of people will like it.

Mikey

Bevahlee
03-28-2005, 05:29 PM
[I think if you put this on the main forum more or less as it is then a lot of people will like it.hmmm, don't even know where the "main forum" is. ?

Mikey[/QUOTE]

Mikey
03-28-2005, 05:49 PM
I think if you put this on the main forum more or less as it is then a lot of people will like it.hmmm, don't even know where the "main forum" is. ?

I meant Open Critiques where we normally post our finished paintings.

Mikey

Bevahlee
03-28-2005, 06:02 PM
I meant Open Critiques where we normally post our finished paintings.

Mikey
OIC, okay thanks. :-)

Bevahlee
04-23-2005, 04:16 PM
okay, I guess I beat that piece to death. So I just started a new one. Never could get satisfied with it. It wasn't stylized enough, it wasn't impressionistic enough, it wasn't this ner that.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2005/54805-He_maketh_me_down_to_Lie.jpg