GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Chiyo
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16 x 12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I'm not at all sure about this portrait, but don't know why. I would have put a lot more colour variation into aa Caucasian skin, which reflects light differently. She is a beautiful girl. Her shirt is not so blue in the painting and has a hint of purple..

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any comments please.

Mikey

Leonardo's_influence
03-20-2005, 11:10 AM
A very endearing portrait Mikey, beautifully modeled. Interesting colour scheme, the background works well with her skin tones. Perhaps too much blending in and around her mouth IMHO, nevertheless a convincing and eloquent portrait. Well done :)

Frida200
03-20-2005, 11:20 AM
Hi Mikey :wave:
I am so happy you could use the pictures I sent!
I like the skin tones very much as well as this nice warm green background color.
It is hard for me to comment on this one since I know the original picture that served as a reference... as for the likeness, I think her eyes are bigger in real life. But that doesn't really matter, it's a beautiful portrait as is. Methinks :)

purplepansey
03-20-2005, 11:23 AM
Very nice portrait. From what I understand it is very difficult to do teeth and hers look so natural. Well done.

Gilberte
03-20-2005, 01:40 PM
Another good one in your series Mikey.
I'd just suggest a small correction on the mouth and a hint of sheen (shine) on her hair ? Maybe ? :wave:

Mikey
03-20-2005, 04:51 PM
Many thanks foryour replies Leonardo, Claudia, purplepansey and Gilberte. I'll check the eyes, then fix the mouth and hair.

I'm grateful for your letting me use the photo Claudia. I think my sense of disatisfaction with this is a little inner niggle trying to tell me something.

Mikey

laketrees
03-20-2005, 08:12 PM
Hi Mikey....a happy girl!!! :clap: ...I like this ...very expressive and I agree with G on the hair
cheers kim

Tamana
03-20-2005, 10:38 PM
I love this new style of yours, Mikey!! I think the eyes may be a little too clarified for the rest of the painting--but it's a wonderful encapturement of emotion!

Mikey
03-21-2005, 08:41 AM
Hi Kim and Tam, thanks four kind comments. I'm wanting to move on with my painting in some way or the other, but am moving to a new location early next week, so everything is a bit upside down right now. I'll be looking for a new start then when I'm more settled.

Mikey

hward
03-22-2005, 10:38 AM
Positives:

Best parts are the chin and cheeks. Authoritatively painted.

Also, ditto above: teeth are well done.

I like the background.

Crits:

I'm getting too much purple over the left eye (our right), but this could be personal taste.

I might lower the inside corner of the left eye (our right).

Observation:

Many portraits are painted with the subject looking at the viewer. It took me a while to notice
that the girl is not looking at us, but rather at something to our left.

Flloyd
03-22-2005, 11:49 AM
This is a very nice portrait that could use just a tiny bit of work to make it totally awesome.

I just think there's a tiny bit of unevenness here. The eyes and eyebrows feel like they're on a slightly different plain, so those could be softened up a bit. And the lips could be hardened just a tad.

But really very well captured expression / emotion. Great tonality in the skin. Good job.

Flloyd

Mikey
03-22-2005, 02:33 PM
Many thanks Herb and Flloyd. For whatever reason I let a few things slip here, but nothing I can't put to right. Otherwise I have to say I'm fairly hopeless in assessing my own work.

Mikey

giniaad
03-22-2005, 04:31 PM
sweet...

I know you are busy now...
but when you have time to revisit this
her eyes are too small...in width...too far appart
general rule...
three eyes across...
eye...space (same width of eye)...other eye
(you probably now that already...sorry)
I know this angle makes that rule a little more difficult to see
but, you can figure it out, for sure.

with a little more work here I think this will be very nice
and I know you can do it, I've seen you do it!
maybe when things settle down...

cheers!

Mikey
03-24-2005, 01:15 PM
Here's Chiyo after a quick touch up, larger eyes and a little bit more contrast in places.

Mikey

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2005/28043-beautiful_Chiyo_2.jpg

Frida200
03-24-2005, 03:01 PM
Yay Mikey,

great improvement of the eyes :clap:
The teeth still seem not right.... I am sorry she is smiling on all the pics I sent! LOL
I tried ONCE to paint somebody with the teeth showing, and it did not work at all. So I have no suggestions how to work on them, sorry :(

Mikey
03-24-2005, 03:12 PM
Claudia, I think I've got it figured. I strengthed the shadows round her mouth, but didn't give any additional roundness to the teeth with shadow. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

Mikey

LynneClomina
03-27-2005, 03:12 AM
hi mikey

lovely painting, i understand how difficult teeth can be

a couple things to note:
1. the lips will cause a shadow to fall on the teeth;
2. the teeth go right to the left (her's) corner of the mouth, and it looks like she has teeth straight across that do not curve back into her mouth;
3. her teeth seem disproportionately long, perhaps?

i'm new here, so please forgive me if i misunderstood the ok to 'digitally alter'; anyways, here's my tweak to illustrate.

i would love to see where you are at with this painting now!

LynneClomina

Mikey
03-27-2005, 06:24 AM
HI Lynn, a warm welcome to Wet Canvas. There are times when it is necessary to do digital alterations to show what you mean. If you look at the originating post then you'll see if the artist specifically asks you not to do so. Otherwise assume it's OK.

I did get myself into problems with the teeth, so thanks for pointing these things out to me.

Mikey