PDA

View Full Version : "Shield"

it'sALLart
03-18-2005, 04:48 PM
this is mendé and masai (africa), anasazi (native amer.), and aboriginal (australia) symbols co-opted/borrowed/appropriated from rocks, war weapons, cave paintings and bones via various sources. hope this doesn't offend anyone, but that's a risk i'm willing to take for what i want to do with my art. it probably won't be to everyone's taste, but that would be boring.

acrylic over molding paste over cradled MDF... 14 x 22

this was supposed to be bbbilly's black piece but it just didn't work in all one color. sorry bbbbiiillllyyy. ;-) finally happy with the results, tho. NOTE: the 2nd two pieces are DETAILS, not seperate works.

ok, enuf blathering.

scorpio32
03-18-2005, 05:24 PM
*faints*

JohnA
03-18-2005, 05:29 PM
Jesus ... that's some craftsmanship and work ethic. All due respect to the one nighters on this site, but this seriously stands out here. Thinking back, I've got to chuckle at myself for not caring for your first couple of symbol pieces. I wouldn't be surprised at all if I saw this marked at $4k in one of the local art shops. We've got some local semi-knowns who sell lesser work at that price.

d-head
03-18-2005, 05:37 PM
Agree with JohnA (although I hope he wasn't refering to me as one of those one-nighters. Well, if he was, so what?). Seem to be doing a lot of agreeing lately, which is very disagreeable to me. Terrific work. OK, I'll say it. Lovely. But I think "accomplished" would be more appropriate. Oh, and if you sell this for $4K, as JohnA suggests, let us know.

it'sALLart
03-18-2005, 05:49 PM
scorpio.... dave... (slaps face...waits...slaps face again) dave... oh well. (slaps face again for good measure... then gets up and steals dave's paint.)

johnA, thanks for that, what town are you in??? I need to move there, this market SUX for art... i'll be lucky to get 500 for this (if it sells), usually have to mark things down after a year or so. wanna be my agent? :)

d-head, cool, i rated a lovely from ya! i'll let you know if it sells, but it won't be for 4 g's, you can bet on that. in my dreams... maybe someday.

Tamana
03-18-2005, 05:56 PM
Oh!! I LIKE the THIRD ONE BEST!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
the first two are okay...but that THIRD. WOWOWOWWOWOWOWWOW!!!

Tamana
03-18-2005, 05:58 PM
Gotcha!!!! :p

hahahaahahah

Keith, you've created a look that imitates leather!!! I swear it looks just like designed leather. Remarkable job!!! I can almost smell it.

it'sALLart
03-18-2005, 06:03 PM
tam, yur such a brat. if yu were in my kitchen i'd put a scoop of crushed ice in yur pants... oh, and thankee.

sciartist
03-18-2005, 06:05 PM
Great stuff, painting/sculpture, doesn't matter. It is awesome. :clap: :clap:

MountainSong
03-18-2005, 06:22 PM
*Gasp*

*Rubs eyes - looks again*

*Gasp!*

"Fantastical!"

ronin
03-18-2005, 07:07 PM
Dude you have some killer sh*t commin down...... up in here. :D I totally dig where your going with these. Got to love mdf.......except for the weight of course. Looking forward to more of these.

bbbilly1326
03-18-2005, 09:27 PM
this was supposed to be bbbilly's black piece but it just didn't work in all one color. sorry bbbbiiillllyyy. ;-)

:confused: :mad: OK, I see a pattern now. FIRST, it was a promise of a new monitor (hasn't arriiiived yet BTW)....now this !!! just betrayal after betrayal... :crying: ....sniff, sniff, well (wipes nose), just send it on anyway, I guess I'll accept it "as is" (make sure it's insured ok ?) :)

Seriously, this is very polished, I agree it looks like real leather, real wood, real shells, it looks like a real artifact. Very finished looking. Can't imagine you'd have to let it go for less than a thousand. Where ARe you anyway? :rolleyes:

But sounds like this area, there's money around, and culture, but art doesn't sell too well.

NOW, would you care to elaborate on your "concept" here hmmmm? :wave:

for example, in this piece were you interested in the integration of ancient cultures, a kind of distillation of human hunter/gatherer history and art....like in a post-modern kinda way ? inquiring minds want to know...:cool:

have i used every icon yet...:p

it'sALLart
03-19-2005, 12:04 AM
sciartist: it does sort of ride that line, i think there's a sculptor inside wanting to come out, but i keep telling him that i don't have the room or tools, he's gotta wait. thanks!

mountainsong: glad you like, some of this was done during a phone chat with a mutual friend... at least ya didn't faint like Dave... i think he's still under, there's some brushes you could run with while he's out.

ronin: yeah, they get heavy but these are pretty small and the cradling is pine, pretty light. I was thinking balsa on some but that's pricey and it doesn't seem to want to hold nails... maybe glue? hmm... thanks for the nice compliment, there's more coming soon.

bbiillly: well... i did try. it was all near-black (actually, was going for the color of Coca-cola and did that but...)at one point and very shiny, but the shine was killing the pattern, too busy. so... i tried sanding and that looked bad. then i started adding colors using a palette from a work i admired and it sort of all started working. a couple of sandings and stainings later you get this "used" look and then one coat of matte varn., she's done.

monitor? what monitor??? :-) you must be talking about tam's e-scam. If you have a mac, i know where you could get one for about 30 bucks, a nice one. I'm in indy, BTW. Home of Pacers, 500 race, Colts, and Eli Lilly Pharm's... and thousands who love high-priced arena sports events but have no clue about local art.

on this, you pretty much have the idea... all tribal cultures from 3 seperate continents mixed into one work, colored to look authentic but using modern methods... the symbols themselves relate to campsites, harvest, animal spirits and plant spirits... and man. sort of a microcosm of nature... the two side pieces are mimicing snake skeletons, saw a pic of an old shield where they were used for real... very wild. thanks for checking it out...

mckittre
03-19-2005, 12:13 AM
I notice the aboriginal most strongly in this.

It's very intricate, and somehow very alive. I like the shape and how it's not just two dimensional.

Very cool.

scorpio32
03-19-2005, 01:34 AM
*slowly waking up,looks around* hey! someone stole my paint & brushes!!thank god they couldn't steal my style :p

wow keith -looks exactly like leather,what everyone else said about it is what I would say too....you know what I love most of all bout these? the shape of them.I'm just...just speechless.I would love to see these IRL. :clap:

dave

punkin026
03-19-2005, 04:07 AM
yuck--phooey--show off
you rule. :clap:

it'sALLart
03-19-2005, 08:05 AM
mckittre, glad you see that, the palette is totally aboriginal and the dots make it mostly that too, altho some african tribes seem to utilize dots too, depending on the form of the piece. i'm getting ready for celtic and N.W. native american flavors too, should be interesting... research first. thanks for your words.

scorp, yeah, your style is great and unique, can't touch it. yur invited to the show in july to see them if ya want. (well, anyone is for that matter...) thanks, man.

punkin, LOL! so, it's a love/hate thing, eh? WC is sorta ALL show-off's if ya think about it...'else there would be no WC.

minimonkey
03-19-2005, 02:07 PM
You. Are. Brilliant. !!!!!!!!!

I don't know how this is even possible, but you just keep getting better!!!!

it'sALLart
03-19-2005, 03:52 PM
aw, you are too kind... thank you... but i'm not sure that's true. i'm posting another in a bit here and it's not working at all for me. but i'm posting it to get some input. maybe you can help.

Diane Cutter
03-19-2005, 03:56 PM
Is there anything you don't do well!?! Again, wonderful work. I'd love to see it in 'the flesh' someday... that must really be awesome!

Diane

it'sALLart
03-19-2005, 04:16 PM
Is there anything you don't do well!?!

Yes, jeez, there are many things I DON'T do well, here's a short list:

Car Repair, plumbing, electrical work, roofing (well, i've done that but i hate doing it) stone cutting, bridge building, wood carving, hunting game (i've done that too but my heart is not in it), ball room dancing, math (very bad at that), performing any kind of medical service or dental work, finding a gallery to rep me, putting up with children, wearing a suit and tie, keeping in shape, seeing any type of doctor, saving money.... there's lots more.

but i'm great at making ponds and waterfalls and designing gardens, growing anything under the sun, i can cook pretty good too... other than that, i'm useless.

thanks diane, nice but too nice... :)

chandlerjr
03-19-2005, 08:41 PM
Keith,
This is an unbelievably rich piece of art. Extremely creative use of materials and the symbolism is fantastic. You are a master of your craft! (Okay--here comes what I hate.) :clap:

By the way, too bad MountainSong was not able to steal some brushes from Dave while he was out cold from fainting. She could have used them back a few months ago. I will tell you my nickname for MountainSong during our next phone call. :D :evil: She's going to make me pay for this. :wink2:
Larry C.

kasunart
03-19-2005, 10:42 PM
Great work Keith.
What's next, full on sculpture? :wink2:

MountainSong
03-19-2005, 11:15 PM
By the way, too bad MountainSong was not able to steal some brushes from Dave while he was out cold from fainting. She could have used them back a few months ago. I will tell you my nickname for MountainSong during our next phone call. :D :evil: She's going to make me pay for this. :wink2:
Larry C.

:eek: Larry! :eek: Don't you Dare!

Lynxes123
03-20-2005, 02:25 AM
...what everyone else said and I just have to add one more WOW. This is fine :clap:

it'sALLart
03-20-2005, 09:12 AM
chandler, glad you like, i was laying down basic colors when we were talking...intrigueing about the nickname... hmmmm.

kasun, yeah, if i had the space and money... would love to do something in our native limestone., thanks for looking (btw, i like both styles of your work but i have to say that the abstract stuff shows more heart.)

mountain, hmmmmm.... perhaps i can bribe you with this info.. hee hee.

lynxes, thanks for that wow... glad you saw this.

printzessofthenorth
03-20-2005, 10:26 PM
Hey I think there was a disturbance in the force. What's going on here...

WOW!! OH MAN!! I MEAN WOOOOOOO OW! Love the symbol fest. Did I say WOW?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah!oh man,wow...*stunned she mutters incoherently as she stumbles away*

debbieryder

chandlerjr
03-20-2005, 11:32 PM
Keith,
This is weird. I just realized, some of the anasazi symbols are close to the Navaho symbols on the Tiger Eye ring I am wearing, crafted by the Navaho in the 1930s or 1940s. It was given to me by my wife's grandfather. As I'm sure you know the Navaho are descended from the anasazi (actually, I think that's really what they consider themselves).
Larry C.

it'sALLart
03-21-2005, 07:39 AM
larry, the only anasazi symbol is the "plant" in the upper left... the rest are other cultures but i liked that plant one enuf to include it here in my culture salad...what does the symbol on the ring look like?

JohnA
03-21-2005, 03:25 PM
johnA, thanks for that, what town are you in??? I need to move there, this market SUX for art... i'll be lucky to get 500 for this (if it sells), usually have to mark things down after a year or so. wanna be my agent? :)

I'll send a pm with that information.

I'll bet things aren't much different over here than over there. Abstract paintings are sold in shops for $2-5 hundred, depending as much on the size as the content or quality.

This work, however, is typical in quality, weight, and material of the limited quantity works displayed on the walls of the "designer eclectic" sculpture/decorator shops. These substantial pieces go for this type of money. I'm not qualified to appraise your work in this market or any other, but, as I said, $4k would not surprise me at all. $5 hundred for this would shock me.