PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Pavilion, Drottningholm

els
12-12-2001, 05:16 AM
Started on location, finished at home.

This is part of the Drottningholm Slot (Queen's Castle) in Stockholm.

As usual, comments are welcome.

artdude
12-12-2001, 12:17 PM
Hi Els:
You seem to have some great photos to work from. I think maybe just a bit more ink work in some of the trees near the tops of them. Your inks would probably look a lot different if you could get that digital camera to make your whites white :) Nice loose line work. It adds definate character to your work :D

NorahT
12-12-2001, 01:31 PM
Great drawing! I agree with Art about a little more work in the tree tops :)

RuthT
12-13-2001, 07:02 AM
I like the detail in this one els.

els
12-13-2001, 10:28 AM
Thank you Art, Norah and Ruth. I'll try to fix the trees. I tried to give an unfinished to look to concentrate the viewer eyes to the building...

Art, I have some good photos, I have to post some in the reference library. About the digital camera, it's not mine, it was a favour from a friend...

Eamon

artdude
12-13-2001, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by els
Thank you Art, Norah and Ruth. I'll try to fix the trees. I tried to give an unfinished to look to concentrate the viewer eyes to the building...

If you would like the building to be the prominent subject in this, then I would suggest adding a bit more shading to it and less to the trees. The tree (trunk) to the left is very dark compared to the rest of the drawing and it is the first thing someone will tend to look at. So adding more darks to the building should balance out the drawing better. Experiment with it and see how it goes :)

Art, I have some good photos, I have to post some in the reference library. About the digital camera, it's not mine, it was a favour from a friend...

Eamon

Good idea :D Would love to see some of your photos.

els
12-14-2001, 11:38 AM
Art, this was a mistake:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I started this with no previous drawing, and the tree to the left was a bit strange, so I tried to correct it, and tried again, and now you have this...

Regarding the building, I started this drawing with a BIC-like pen, and the contrast it gave me was not satisfactory, so I went over a bit with the same I used for the other drawings, so the balance between lihgt and shadows is not too perfect... But one day (I hope!) i'll learn...

I played a bit with this pic, maybe it's better now.

Ah, I'll try to put some photos in the reference library today...

artdude
12-14-2001, 01:01 PM
Els:

Ink is a very hard medium to get used to. Once you put that pen to paper there is no turning back :) I think you are doing a great job considering you are so new at this. Everything takes practice and even once we get used to the medium we are always learning new things. Keep it up, you are DEFINATELY on the right track!!

PS: You should see some of my early ink works :crying: :D

sassybird
12-16-2001, 11:26 AM
You do some very nice line work, els. I would like to see a detail of this piece, but I also know how it is with borrowing a camera. The camera is a very good investment though, and they have really come down on the prices for a decent digital camera these days. Check into it. I know you wouldn't regret buying one, or putting back your pennies for a time to save for one:clap:

els
12-17-2001, 05:36 AM
Thank you for your kind comments Art. You encourage me to keep trying...

Sass, I'll try to buy a camera, but first I have to put my account in order :D

Maybe this detail helps...