PDA

View Full Version : Attention Basic 101 Lurkers

sultry
03-17-2005, 09:40 AM
Please bare with me, this is long....

Okay, I know your out there & maybe a little too timid about posting in class. This is to let you know, We all have been there but due to posting & coming out of the lurking mode & joining in, it has caused us to learn so much more then if we lurked. I should know because I lurked on this site for a year before I did my first post. Now I am known as (affectionately called by my sweet classmates) Gabby. lol, due to how fast I received my 4 stars.

I just want all you Lurkers to know that if you have anything pertaining to any of the Basic 101 classes, please post them. You do not have to start from the beginning to just post your piece. Believe me, I am sure JayD, will agree with me. Everyone will gain when you post your work, because it gives all of us another artist's style to view. :)
Not to mention, it also gets a Lurker out of the just viewing mode & into the posting mode.

When I first came to WC, as I said before I was a Lurker for along time and I why? Because I saw such wonderful work and felt too intimidated to post my measly stuff. So I never posted in the main WC/ D/S fora. Well when JayD started the 101 courses, I was able to gather enough courage to join in. Believe me I was scared to, infact you could find my first post back then and see it was my first post to post in WC.

By joining this class, it has not only given me confidence in my work but it has given me an open mind to accept critique to improve my work instead of feeling offended and not good enough. Infact, it has also given me an eye to give constructive critique to other artist work, which I have learned from too. Last but not least, it has also introduced me to greatest bunch of artist who turned out to be kind considerate friends. That is a great value to any artist, to find people who care about you and can help you with your pieces because they see something you may not of seen and can show you.

I want to share with you my quality of work before 101 & what I just turned in class 14.

First pic is of my nephew who has passed away and I did this in mourning but it also healed my pain. I do plan on doing his portrait again.

Second pic is my BF. I will only show the top, since the bottom is not finished.

Soon I will be posting my daughter's portrait but that is taking time to do. :cat:

This thread is for you Lurkers to not be afraid to post your first post or for my fellow classmates/WC member to post their b4 & present work.

It is also for other WC members who would like to comment on how they joined too and how WC has helped them artistically.

I just want to give you Lurkers a chance to enjoy what we do. :)

Ikneadaneraser
03-17-2005, 10:06 AM
Sultry_
I think this is a very warm and kind invitation! Great idea.
Personally, I could not lurk very long after finding WC!. I immediately saw the welcome to other newbies, and was just enticed in. I found the welcome mat to be sincere. I am very glad to be a part of the community here.

mothsailor
03-17-2005, 12:14 PM
Great idea Sults! Personally, I think your "before" picture is pretty good, but you can certainly see the improvement. I hope anyone watching does join in...it's much more enjoyable on the inside. As you'll see from my two drawings, there's still a long way for me to go...but then, that's the point of doing it! :)

Before (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=185993)
After (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=228030)

sultry
03-17-2005, 12:53 PM
Hey Jerry & Dave ty for agreeing :wave:
Dee asked for this awhile back to see the 101 class progress and I agree with her I would like to see it too. I do think there are some ~Quiet 101ers~ (ones following the classes but never posted) out there too. It would be nice to see them post something they feel have improved on.

Jerry I see such improvement in your work also, your self portrait is really something. :)

Dave, Ty for the compliment on my b4 & after :)

I think your b4 shows you could tackle stairs pretty well but I do love that college still life the bike makes it so interesting to look at. You can see how well you can contour now.:)

I have extended an invitation in PM to my classmates and many say they will post soon. So looking forward to it.

rosebard
03-17-2005, 12:56 PM
Hi Sultry and all the lurkers around WC!! :D

I joined in WC last December, right way after I found it. I must had hit it by accident. I dont really remember, because I have so amused with this community. Lots of info, but above all lots of generous people who share their time and knowlegde to help people to grow yourself out.

WC has been a blessing place for me. The first thread I joined in was the Basic 101. I was very interesting in drawing and here I found the support and help I needed. I Have being painted since last appril, oil on canvas. But since I started join in this Class and all the threads that can help me achieve my goals my skills had improved tremendous. And I am sure I will do more and more. Hope to contribute to others like I received. Because that will be the only way to show how grateful I am.

Please join in the class. Participation will give you lot to learn from, and to us will be nice to see others work.

Stoy Jones
03-17-2005, 01:29 PM
Sultry, you must be the cause of the increase of newbies we have been seeing this past week! :D I agree, such a warm invitation. I must add that whether it be in 101 or in the forum in general, posting does take a bit of courage. Although we feel that our ability (or what we may think of as a "lack") puts us on a bottom rung in the ladder in the group here, that isn't necessarily so.

What is important to know is there is no better way than to take on the mantle of learning and experience to get the full benefit of drawing...particularly the enjoyment of the process, even if it is just a hobby. Enjoyment comes from having more experience and knowledge that allows you to have more choices in your creativity, more tricks to further choices on how to render your subjects. The knowledge isn't complex or difficult to obtain, but rather "basic" to understand and accessible as JayD has made it. The challenge is in the observation, a point that JD Hillberry made in one of his posts. From beginner to expert, we are all faced with that same challenge as well as putting our own spin or stamp on the subject we draw or sketch.

Making the mistakes and having them pointed out constantly does take a tough skin and I face that daily with my wife who is very discerning. But, for those of us who need a confidence boost, know that every problem solved is one step closer to being a master of "your" own talent and artistic voice and not the next person's or the expected view of how a drawing should appear as far as a style.

It is good to know (and I have seen it here) that folks here do try to be gentle and complimentary, not only to make a person feel welcome, but to take in account of the person's level of ability and intentions for the drawing and base their critique around that.

Keep up the fine work Sults! Your hard work is paying off. :clap:

Stoy

ct_sketches
03-17-2005, 02:04 PM
Hi Sultry and the others
First, thanks for the invite, very kind of you.
I am (sad to say) a lurker on the Basics 101. However, it's not because I'm diffident about my work; but because I'm not prolific enough to keep up and also do not have ready access to a scanner or a good digital camera (yet).
Mindset has a lot to do with how I draw (that's nothing new), and it hasn't really allowed me to devote exclusive time to systematically develop my art.
But I will say this...just looking through the daily threads, getting familiar with the members, following the discussions and techniques has not only contributed vastly to my development, but also made more defined the presence of art in my life. (Does that make sense?)
I really see that JayD is doing an amazing, amazing job leading this class and it's an invaluable resource for anyone who would like to get better fundamentals in drawing. Basic 101ers, you ROCK! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Chandu
Edit: I just saw I had a star to my name! WooHoo!

bjcpaints
03-17-2005, 02:30 PM
Hi everyone. I was asked to comment in this thread as a student in Basic 101 which I have diligently followed from day one. Before WC I was trying to learn on my own from books (last July). Found that very difficult. My main reason for wanting to learn to draw is to become a better painter. I have had little or no art instruction in my life. In high school I was so bad at art; the art teacher gave me grades to do other things;model for the class (I was young and thin and had high cheekbones), clean the art room, he even gave me a 95 one semester to stop biting my nails! Lets hope public school is a little more concerned about class content these days! LOL Back to 101: The pace is flexible and the content is going to give you a solid foundation and also introduce you to subjects, various mediums, and techniques with which you will be able to hone your skills. As each week goes by and you progress, you will find you have more confidence. There is always someone here to help you if you get "stuck" on any particular thing. Learning at your own pace is so crucial to development. I am truly grateful for this opportunity I have been given and for everyone's participation.
Barbara

sultry
03-17-2005, 02:35 PM
Hiyas Rose, Stoy, & Chandu :wave:

I must say Rose I liked your boats but that tree wow, the contour and shading is wonderful.

Thank you Stoy for very insightful words, I do think your sooo right about it being so hard to post. I also have my worst critique too, my BF but I am happy about it, because it shows he cares and is interested in my artwork. :cat:

Hey Chandu, you should not feel bad about posting too late because Jay does not have a set time for any of the classes. Please do post in the classes if you have something. You can stay in one as long as you need to. If your in class 1 till ten buck two, at least your in class. :)

This is not only for the 101ers by the way, I have extended the invite to all WC who would like to show a B4 & After WC. Us curious minds would love to see it. :)

& For the shy ones who do post here, I ask on their behalf to only give positive feedback. Some may not be ready for constructive C&C yet. :cat:

Hey Barbara, we must of xposted, ty for commenting. :)

Deb Leger
03-17-2005, 03:07 PM
Hi Sultry

Got your invite! And am posting. :D Great idea!

I started the class at the beginning and have really enjoyed the challenges. I've had to draw things I never would have attempted on my own. And Jay has this nice way of asking us to draw things that we just can't refuse. :evil:

I've had to take a "leave of absence" for that past two (or was it three?) classes but thanks to the flexibility of the class, I'll be able to catch up on the past classes while still doing the current one.

I know there's quite a few lurkers in the class and hope this thread gives them the confidence to start posting! (Chandu, congrats on your star! And I hope you can get posting soon. Feel free to comment in class though, even if you can't post!!!) We still have people posting in the first class so it's never too late to start.

For my 'before' drawing, I'm using the pre-class drawing we had to do. For the 'after', I'm using a drawing I've done recently and am currently painting it in watercolour. And I also attached two "in betweens". (The snow-covered tree one is from the bran tub exchange just before Christmas - my partner dropped out without a word, so this one never got shown.)

Deb

Before drawing and the bran tub:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2005/11775-First_10_27resized.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2005/11775-brantub.jpg

the current one being painted is the eggs and the collander:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2005/11775-post.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2005/11775-eggs_and_collander.JPG

Reinhard1
03-17-2005, 03:19 PM
I would so much like to chip in with me "pre WC drawings but I am sorry I can't. Not that I would embarass myself, I'm doing that right now but I didn't draw at all. I was so thoroughly convincec that I can't draw, so I didn't. I doodled during meetings and phone conferences, but that was the extent. So whatever I can present now is the pure work of all those here in WC who were fiendly and cooperative enough to help me from my meager beginnings to my present state.

A word out to all of you lurkers from won experience. You don't know what you can achieve if you don't start.

Confucius said: The high mountain only fears the slow wanderer.

If you don't leave you will never arrive (Reinhard :o )

SILKNSATIN
03-17-2005, 03:21 PM
Well I guess I should contribute lol

kblack
03-17-2005, 03:30 PM
Thanks Sults for inviting me to post a before and after... I really want to thank those out there.. you know who you are - that have helped me in my drawing & sketching. I can see a big inprovement when I look back and appreciate all the support .. which is what keeps me trying ... even when I can't get over a hump.
I will post 2 befores... and then a recent .. as of today.
Karen

*Deirdre*
03-17-2005, 04:32 PM
Well Sults,,,you wore me down! :evil: Here are some of mine from the 70's
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2005/33616-animals.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2005/33616-brolly.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2005/33616-jigsaw.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2005/33616-people.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2005/33616-road.jpg
Then I didn't do any more artwork until I started here in late 2003!
Rather than upload any more....if you want to see what I started with in my WC life...click on my name and look for the first or second thread I posted!

SILKNSATIN
03-17-2005, 04:34 PM
OOps I forgot to post my after lol :rolleyes:

kblack
03-17-2005, 04:40 PM
The 70's ... and I still see a snake BOn.. lol.. I guess it was inevitable! :wave:
Karen

*Deirdre*
03-17-2005, 04:42 PM
The 70's ... and I still see a snake BOn.. lol.. I guess it was inevitable! :wave:
Karen
Ahem! That was MY snake! I once drew one...I'm not as brave now! :evil:

roger41
03-17-2005, 04:48 PM
Well here goes for me....I certainly have learned a lot on WC......sounds like a drug doesn't it......... :D I'm not on LSD or PCP just WC :p ........I guess I'll post 3 drawings.....first is one I did in 2003......pencil on bristol board . I tended to outline everything...then color it in. The second drawing is a portrait i just finished of Gillian Anderson...co-star on the X files., and the third drawing is my current work -in-progress "Medusa". Iv'e learned a lot from artists like Stoy...about light, shadow, and movement. From Bon about using your imagination...and just chilling out :p :D :p . JayD has been an inspiration also- a true "Ring Master" of the Arts...he knows how to pull everyone together and get them on the same page :p . Furrtig is in a class all by himself in my book :p and so many others here on WC....I guess Iv'e just borrowed a little from too many artist to mention or I would be typing forever :p :D .....God Bless

Roger

SILKNSATIN
03-17-2005, 04:51 PM
OMY GOD Deirdre LOL

JayD
03-17-2005, 04:53 PM
Sults, I will look for some really early stuff to post if you dont mind. I will try to post something tonight. Thanks for the invite!

*Deirdre*
03-17-2005, 04:53 PM
ROTFLMAO!!! OH YES SHE DID!!! :evil: :wave: :D

SILKNSATIN
03-17-2005, 04:54 PM
LOL roger I think you will live longer having a WC addiction. :D
Wow what a chnage and i'm still waiting on your finish of medusa :wave:
Totally cool everyone :clap:

*Deirdre*
03-17-2005, 05:05 PM
I even found some weird stuff!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2005/33616-hell.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2005/33616-workers.jpg

sultry
03-17-2005, 05:15 PM
Wow ty Deb, Bon, Reinhard, Karen, Roger & Jay :wave:
Ohhh Dee I love your work in the 70s too and the wierd stuff (which looks great to me) has to go in our fantasy class too (right Jay)? I am so happy you all are participating and posting by the way.

I think this is so awsome to see how far we have all come and guess what? We are still learning. :) The sky is the limit for all of us.

I still have pms to others not answered so I know there will be more :)

Now see Lurkers, you see what a great community we have here. I want you to note something, we do not have cliques either, we are cool everyone who joins we welcome with open arms. :cat:

I can see improvements in all your work Deb, Bon, Karen, Roger & Dee :) not that you all did not have the artistic eye already.

Firstsister
03-17-2005, 05:28 PM
This is a great thread! I'm so enjoying seeing the progress we all have made.

Sults, thanks for the invite - I'll have to root around for some old stuff of mine. Before last year, most of it was doodles, rough sketches, and the odd drawing here and there over the years. As soon as I can get some together, I'll definitely post! :)

kblack
03-17-2005, 06:00 PM
Sorry Dee.. giggles at me.. I shouldn't scroll down so fast... it messes things up.. as well as my brain.. sorry Dee!!Nice snake ...so when do you start doing snake women too?
Karen

dordy
03-17-2005, 06:13 PM
great thread, now before i start just take a look at the pics, when i was a lurker. it was great, picking up tips here and there and just enjoying reading all the great posts, my drawings improved lots, but when i joined i found i put more into a drawing knowing my friends here at wc was going to see it so i wanted to make each drawing better, i always try new things i'm even ready to tackle a good head of hair soon.lol. my advice would to first de-lurk and just join in, you will get better..quick..i am so pleased at were i am at with my drawings and hope to improve with everyone, i just realy try to put down what i see, this may sound abit mechaical but i always have a feeling for the drawing too, oh and if you see a drawing what you like, ask how they did it and try it give it a go, although the hair does have a influence on my drawings i still choose it because i think it would be a good drawing, then i would worry about how i would draw it when i started.lol. so i try not to stay in a comfy zone, WOW i'm rambling.lol. de-lurk :evil: wow so much improvment from you all. dont you just love drawing :D

*Deirdre*
03-17-2005, 06:14 PM
Sorry Dee.. giggles at me.. I shouldn't scroll down so fast... it messes things up.. as well as my brain.. sorry Dee!!Nice snake ...so when do you start doing snake women too?
Karen
LOL I'll let Bon answer that! :evil:

sultry
03-17-2005, 06:20 PM
Wow Dordy ty for posting & I see you learned how to use darks to your advantage. :) The first one is great but with darks in the second one it sure makes it so much more realitstic.

SILKNSATIN
03-17-2005, 06:22 PM
We did something like this before but it's been along time.

dordy
03-17-2005, 06:27 PM
yea thats another thing sults when people go on about push the darks it realy does make a big difference, i put some blacks down first and take the rest down according to the ref, i do find myself thinking i'm going way to dark here, but if its black then its black, its a hard but a good rule to draw by i think.

cmwynn
03-17-2005, 07:23 PM
Thanks for inviting me to join, Sultry. I started painting watercolors about 2 1/2 years ago, discovered WD a year later, but was not able to get a good painting partly because I started with such poor drawings. I joined the Weekly Drawing Thread last spring, with no instruction so was delighted when Jay started his Basics 101 class. I still need more practice on some of the basics but am drawing more just for the sake of drawing, not just as a foundation for watercolor. All in all, just practicing has helped, but doing it in a class is so much more fun and helpful. The first image is my pre-class assignment, my grandchild at 2 months old. The second is the 6th month portrait. (Part of the difference is that he now has a nose!) My drawing technique has definitely improved, whether the likeness is better is still out with the jury.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2005/29839-pre-class._2_months.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2005/29839-6_months.jpg

Fireman's kid
03-17-2005, 07:45 PM
Wow great thread!! I see tremendous improvement in everyone's now drawings - even when I think the "befores" are good! Thanks for the invite Sults and for starting this thread.

I'm going to take some time to look through my old sketchbook so I can post a before WC, before Basic 101 and my latest completed drawing. I'll be back, but maybe not until tomorrow. :wave:

jyvonne
03-17-2005, 07:50 PM
Well, Sultz, here it goes!
I actually joined here early last summer I think, but I was just becoming interested in acrylics then. Early this past December, I started drawing. So technically, these are not "before WC", but it was before I started in this drawing and sketching forum. They were done this past summer and fall... and may I say, they were very earnest efforts on my part at the time for realism.

And then, here's a couple I have done the past 2 months or so...

I hope anyone out here that is "lurking" comes out of the shadows and joins in! A lot of improvement happens when you have people as kind as these here to share with you where your strengths are and the areas that can be strengthened. Don't ever be afraid to ask a question... we all start somewhere and we all have areas that we are still striving to grow in!

jyvonne

Judi1957
03-17-2005, 08:04 PM
Gee, don't even know where to begin. JayD's class has been so wonderful!

Sults, as per your request....
First attachment is a CP I did February or so of 2004.
Second is a redo in Basic 101.
Third is my lion I did in 101 where JayD taught us to use swabs to lay down charcoal.
The fourth was the favorite project (ugh!) most of us drew! :D

It was great seeing all you seasoned artists beginning works. Thanks for posting them! :clap: :clap:

sultry
03-17-2005, 09:18 PM
OMG, what a great bunch you are :clap:
I will be waiting Jay, Paula, Stacy, & all of you who pmd me who said you will post :)
I see a great improvement in your work Connie wow. I think the 1st baby was cute but the second one jumps out at you, and by the way, you should add your wonderful bridge to great masterpieces of current too. I saw that in Stoy's thread. :)
Jyvonne wow I cannot believe you learned so much so fast. WOW but where is Elvis????????
Judi, well shucks girlfriend, you know how I feel about your improvement. Where is the adorable baby?
This thread has turned out to be so fun.
Lurker are you convinced yet?????? :cat:

Cathie Jones
03-17-2005, 09:46 PM
Great idea, Sults! I don't know if anyone has mentioned that, in addition to teaching us great stuff, Basic 101 is FUN! The drawing subjects are fun, the people are fun, critiques are always constructive - it's a safe place to be!

Like some of the others, I started with watercolor and wanted to learn to draw to improve my paintings. I have very little time, so have been just drawing since I started the class - until last weekend when I used my new-found drawing skills for a painting.

My first drawing for Basic 101 was a boat that I had been wanting to paint, but the perspective in the photo is so strange, I couldn't even come close to drawing it. I'll post the before and after of those, and a couple of the later things we've done. I'll have to try that boat again, soon, too - it's a great way to measure improvement!

So . . . your heart may skip a beat when you post your first drawing, but every one after that gets easier, and the advice you'll get will help you to improve. Take that leap, lurkers . . . we'll catch you!!!

Judi1957
03-17-2005, 10:13 PM
Sults,
This is turning out to be one GREAT thread! :clap: :clap: :clap:

ps: I gave the baby to the Dad and neglected to take the final photo. I regret that!

JayD
03-17-2005, 10:54 PM
Sults, I will be posting but I just did my FAFSA and the federal government has decided not to be kind to my daughter--we got our EFC and the Expected Family Contribution is horrendous, outrageous, and rediculous. :mad: :mad: :mad:

SO

I am over at College Express strategizing the money thing for Jen. Wish us luck!!!!

I will posting shortly :)

kramus
03-17-2005, 11:30 PM
Hello Sultry - I like line and so I found my first line post in Pen & Ink - this is the first pen drawing I did after I decided that if I was an artist then I'd better do art instead of just thinking about it :) Tree Snake is in my 8x10 sketchbook that I'm going to give to #2 son someday. It is .03 rapidograph pen.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219853

The second is a concept drawing I have just completed in the last little while - using assorted illustrator markers in a 4x7 sketchbook posted in my Sessile thread.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241937&page=1&pp=15

I learned the value of values here, and how to focus more on the whole drawing instead of just going around as the mood hits me. I learn all the time from so many different fine contributors. Thankyou everyone who has shared with me here on WC! :)

JayD
03-18-2005, 12:04 AM
OK, this is some of my older stuff and of course I have included my favorite model, my dog.

The dancers are two of jennifer's friends, The dog landscape was a result of my imagination doing something or the other, the landscape is just something I made up and so is the guy standing in the arch.

JayD
03-18-2005, 01:15 AM
Here are some of my more recent works.

Sults-excellent idea. I am glad to see so many people popping in and sharing.

vasilkadifeli
03-18-2005, 01:24 AM
Hi all :wave:...

This morning I found Sultry's PM telling me about this thread and that she wanted me to post my work... thank you so much Sultry and this is a wonderful thread.. there is one in the watercolor classes too..

I am basicly going to repeat those things I wrote to her and than post some of the drawings I did in the classes...

Actually I am not a drawing guy and I usually wander around in the watercolor forum... I joined the drawing classes and I am lurking a little bit in the acrylics monthly classes... this is why I didn't knew about this thread...

I was doing some drawing at highschool some 30 years ago and then started drawing something again for the Basic 101 classes... in between I did nothing...

I usually procrastinate and do my drawings very quickly so they don't turn out good... I think most of the time I prefer watching what others are doing...

I just went back and looked at my drawings to see if I have anything to post here... they are all from the drawing classes... I also don't think that I have enough to compare my progress... but will attach some of them here...

vasilkadifeli
03-18-2005, 01:25 AM
and two more

Night Creature
03-18-2005, 01:31 AM
It's quite amazing to see all the improvements people have made since coming here. :eek:

crystalstarr
03-18-2005, 01:39 AM
i love this place, so warm and welcomming...

rjKing
03-18-2005, 03:40 AM
Welcome to all the newcomers! I'm actually a relative newcomer.. so I can understand being nervous at first.. getting your art out in front of other folks is truly productive, but always a tad scarey.. no worries though! We don't bite!

First is a piece I just completed.. digital oils in Painter 9, all from scratch (hand painted..). I was doing a fair bit of oil work in 1994, and my joining WC coincided with a coming off a long absence from art due to health.. Since I don't have a separate space to do oils.. I'm forced into the digital realm for the short term.

Second is a copy of a portion of El Jaleo by Sargent, graphite on Strathmore sketch 11x14.. done in 1994.

Third is a from 1994.. not titled.. charcoal on Canson Sketch, 18x24.

I've posted a all my work since joining other than brief compositional sketches for larger stuff.. so you can find it all on WC.. just search for threads started by me..

And yes.. we are a welcoming group.. we are all here to learn and help! Welcome again everyone.. and for those still lurking.. come out and join us!

sultry
03-18-2005, 08:31 AM
Great idea, Sults! I don't know if anyone has mentioned that, in addition to teaching us great stuff, Basic 101 is FUN! The drawing subjects are fun, the people are fun, critiques are always constructive - it's a safe place to be!
You are so right CJ, & ty for posting your b4 & after I really was so excited to see your progress during class as I am now. :) That alpaca looks like he is breathing. :cat:

Wow Kramus ty for posting & I do see your improvements in how you changed alot of your shading.

Vasil, see you did draw & I do like how you have caught on to the light & shade of your subjects.

Cool Richard, ty for posting & I do see where you have applied more to your work also. My fav is your 3rd one btw.

Night & Crystal & all the recent newbies, this is a thread for all Lurkers & for you newbies to show you that you made the right decison in joining in our happy D/S community. :)

Sults, I will be posting but I just did my FAFSA and the federal government has decided not to be kind to my daughter--we got our EFC and the Expected Family Contribution is horrendous, outrageous, and rediculous. :mad: :mad: :mad:

SO

I am over at College Express strategizing the money thing for Jen. Wish us luck!!!!

Oh wow Jay, sorry to hear this, did everything work out ok?
Wow Jay I just saw your b4 & after, wow great to see even how Our Teach started out & how your pieces have more detailed precise marks that make up a whole picture. TY for posting even though your going through FAFSA nightmare with the F.G.

greenhoop
03-18-2005, 08:59 AM
Hi Sultry thanks for the invite. Did some drawing at school but nothing since then(a long time ago). Problems with my knee and hand stopped my from participating in my hobbies golf, hillwalking,swimming. So i had to find something to fill the gap.Came across wetcanvas a year ago and as many others was fascinated by the drawings done on this site.My wife encouraged me to start drawing again and i found it relaxing though frustrating at times.First drawings done with kids crayons then my wife bought me some stuff for christmas and i went from there.First drawing one of the early ones and two of the latest. The last one working on father in law study.

artdude
03-18-2005, 12:05 PM
First, I would like to THANK sults for starting this thread and trying to get those lurkers out there to start posting! :clap: :clap: :clap:

The drawing below was done a few years before I joined WC but it reflects how I felt about going "dark" on my drawings. Like some others, it scared me to put any darks in my work because I thought once I did that, it would be hard to get rid of the dark and I wasn't confident enough with my skills to do so. This drawing looks flat with the all similar values in it.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2005/3698-homesteadcopy2.jpg

The drawing below is of my 2 nephews, my brother's sons. As you can see, my fear of going dark is gone and I now LOVE pieces that have any stark contrast from light to dark. By seeing other's work here at WC is what inspired me to keep at my art works and still does to this day. The help and general comments of members was a great confidence boost for me.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2005/3698-kyledylan4.jpg

I really do encourage ANY lurker's out there to SHOW YOUR STUFF!!:D :wave:

Murray
-------------------------

Reinhard1
03-18-2005, 12:28 PM
Murray, being afraid of the dark gets another meaning here in WC but there are some similarities as well. When you're young (in our case inexperienced), you're afraid of the dark until a friendly grown-up (in our case an experienced and helpful WC member) shows us that dark is nothing to fear and, alas, we all of a sudden (or step by step mostly) get to explore this area and see that there is nothing to be afraid of. Quite to the contrary dark and light belong together. It's the endless twilight that gets boring. I know what I'm writing about, I'm getting "braver" by the drawing.

sultry
03-18-2005, 12:37 PM
Thanks Gordon, Murray and yup Reinhard the darks can be scarey but not if you take them in baby steps, gradual layers of graphite (or any other drawing medium) wash, till you get that effect that pops out at you.

Gordon I do like the transition in your work.

Murray wow you were afraid of the dark and the results for taking that step towards them sure does make your piece come alive. :cat:

NatalieS
03-18-2005, 02:16 PM
Well, I'm probably the only person on here that didn't take part, I took a huge break from the puter altogether, family problems and health.

But what I can say is, this site has made me improve a scary amount. So many wonderful tips and tricks shown me that finally makes me proud to look at my drawings instead of looking in horror.

I can't say I've took part in the 101 but I can say I've learnt a lot from this site, I'll show you my before and after, but feel free to delete it mods as it doesn't comply with the thread started.

Thank you everyone who took the time out to help me, I feel so honoured. I'm amongst genius's that have guided me so much.

NatalieS
03-18-2005, 02:17 PM
Can you spot which are the older ones? :wink2:

sultry
03-18-2005, 03:52 PM
Hiyas Natalie,
I am so glad you posted and yes it belongs here. I see your improvement and yes I can spot the latter ones. :) Your very good at getting the likeness of your subjects.

mbeckett
03-18-2005, 07:28 PM
Thank you for the invite, Sultry. I did see the post not long after you posted it, but i have to confess, i didn't read it thoroughly and missed the point! :( Otherwise, i would have thrown my 2 bits in sooner. Just one of those weeks...lol! :D

Anyway, my drawing started with building animations about 5 years ago, way before i found wetcanvas. First piece is my doodles to come up with a character. I used the sketch as a guide to build the animation in Paint Shop Pro using vectors. You may recognize the resulting animation, as i was using it for my avatar here for quite a while. Got kinda tired of flat characters so...

... I found wetcanvas. Next is my first post here from the weekly drawing challenge, from last summer. Except for a couple of ill fated attempts at realistic drawing the week before i submitted this, this was my first attempt at drawing something realistic. Quackerjack was done only with HB pencil. It was all I had at the time. Bought a full set of pencils not long after, and learned about going much darker. I left him as he is because i wanted to use him as a benchmark.

The next one is my first 'solo' project i posted and was really a turning point for me. I had a lot of help and encouragement to get it darker... especially from Deirdre, but others as well. Humbling experience but a necessary one...lol. Thanks, Dee! :D I've included a link to that original thread, as it is kind of amusing looking back, and there are some valuable tips there too. I look at it now, and i could have gone darker still! :evil: I framed it and gave it to my Dad.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201365&highlight=truck

The last one is the gorilla i did in the WDE a couple of weeks ago. Is that one dark enough, Deirdre? lol :evil: :D

NaughtyTuck
03-18-2005, 10:29 PM
OK Sults you flushed me out.... I haven't been drawing as long as some of you.. and lately I have just been too tired but here are a few from the past year .. First ..last ..and one in the middle I haven't been actually doing the classes but have done a lot of lurking and learning.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2005/49908-techterm.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2005/49908-sumcat10.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2005/49908-87high2.jpg

Jayd you have put in tremendous amounts of work in t hese classes .. THANK YOU

Jean

sultry
03-18-2005, 10:33 PM
Hiyas Mike & Jean & ty both for posting :wave:
Mike I am amazed at the change from cartoons to realistic. Wow
Jean I remember that cute kitty & I so love how you rendered your house.

JayD
03-18-2005, 11:21 PM
Guys, if you really like Sult's thread, please stop back in and rate it for her. :)

Imaginee
03-19-2005, 01:00 AM
Hi everyone and thank you Sukts for the invite. I have been drawing most of my life, I stopped only when the boys were growing up. Below is a small timeline of my pencil work.

This first group was before joining WC

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Mar-2005/18835-1968-2000.jpg

This group is after I joined WC, I learned about drawing paper, pencils and good techniques from the artist here, my drawing skills increased greatly!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Mar-2005/18835-2003-04.jpg

The next are some from over the past 2 years… I spent much time at Artpapa learning from the artist there, many of them post here too.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Mar-2005/18835-2004.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Mar-2005/18835-2005.jpg

I continue to learn with each new piece and feel this artistic journey has no end in sight, and quite honestly I wouldn’t have it any other way! So you lurkers start to post and comment today, you have nothing to loss and everything to gain when it comes to drawing!
~Linda

crystalstarr
03-19-2005, 01:08 AM
ok ok... so i stopped drawing at the age of 17 until last dec, but picking up in dec 2004 i was a bit rusty(sorry i don't have drawings from when i was a kid:( ) but i'll post my jimi hendrix drawing from dec and then the one i just finished, same picture but i think i grew just in the past three months

idcrisis55
03-19-2005, 10:38 AM
Hi Sults, thanks for letting me know about this thread. This is so great looking at all the before and after pics!

The old outbuilding I drew last June, then the still life with the pitcher and rose was done in Class 7 of Basic 101. Next, is a bird house in my back yard which I drew in February. The bird house has seen better days but loved the twigs and vines on it The last one of the I did about a year ago and posted it here in the drawing forum.

I didn't attach the first drawing of a figure I did for the first class as I haven't improved in the figure department yet :)

Ann

sultry
03-19-2005, 10:52 AM
Hiyas Linda, Crystal & Ann & ty for posting,

Wow Linda I have enjoyed your work through the years, I remember seeing some of it in a Celebrity Pic Gallery on Yahoo, even back then I thought your work rocked. :cat: Now, it well, it breathes. As I have told you in DA & AP I just love it. :)

Crystal I am so glad you posted your before & after I can see you learned alot in a short time. Your current work is very realistic.

Hey Ann, I like your kitty Kat :) but the detail and value in your latter is so much better.

Hey everyone, I have pmd alot of artists to post & if I did not get to you, please post your b4 & afters (even if you are new) just show your starting in the art world and your current. :cat:

Reinhard1
03-20-2005, 07:07 PM
I wrote before that I don't have any drawing from before WC which is true, but I just found out that I posted my first picture nearly exactly 1 year ago (still 10 days to go).

The first, Regina, was still traced (oops, but that was it).

Hope you can see an improvement. At least I think I do. :D :evil:

Anita Murphy
03-20-2005, 07:11 PM
Enjoying lurking - but any moment now - just dgive me a second!

tangled03
03-20-2005, 07:45 PM
the cabin was done in 2003, kid rock was done last month. Ive totally enjoyed seeing everyones work :clap:

well i see i scanned off half his head...lol..typical of me :rolleyes:

sultry
03-20-2005, 09:23 PM
Reinhard OH My yes I do see a big improvement and I see your strokes have purpose now. I know that sounds wierd but what I mean is, your mind knew where to put the strokes so it would matter for the piece.

Cool are you going to post a b4 & after present? Hope so.

Tracey I like your cabin but I cannot see Kid Rock and I really want to. Can you post him again?

tangled03
03-20-2005, 09:47 PM
lol, i'll try again....

sultry
03-20-2005, 09:50 PM
Wow Tracey this is good and it is hard to forshorten figures and guitars. You did well :clap: Also great contour shading & use of values too.

tangled03
03-20-2005, 10:10 PM
Thanks!..i know theres some things i could have changed/fixed, but after so much time i gotta move on to my next victim :evil: ... :D

SILKNSATIN
03-20-2005, 10:30 PM
Amazing all just amazing. :clap:

JayD
03-21-2005, 12:09 AM
Sultry, you deserve a round of applause--we have been trying to get the lurkers to pop out and join in on the fun--looks like you managed to do it.

EVERYBODY give Sults a BIIIIIIGGGG hug!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Reinhard1
03-21-2005, 06:58 AM
sults, thanks a lot. One question however. I don't catch the b4&after this one. Do you mean the take 1 and take 2 Ritas?
If you want, I'll be more than happy to.

Bronc
03-21-2005, 07:50 AM
Thanks for starting this Sults :clap:
I have been offline for a while now, so have only just caught up with a lot of the posts...the progress by just about everyone is amazing.... I did manage to get one sketch done while offline, so i will post it, along with one i did when i first came to WC six months ago.
As i have made 2005 my year of the darks, its probably not hard to pick the latest one :wink2:

Mary Woodul
03-21-2005, 07:57 AM
Hiya Sults, just wanted to tell you this thread is amazing and during the day I will come post two of mine and read and see all of the other posts with a little more time. See ya, later. :wave:

sultry
03-21-2005, 08:20 AM
Gee Jay, I thank you but I think everyone deserves an applause for the great improvements in their work, all I did ask them to show it. (inserts blushing shrugging smiley here).

sults, thanks a lot. One question however. I don't catch the b4&after this one. Do you mean the take 1 and take 2 Ritas?
If you want, I'll be more than happy to.
The purpose of this thread is to get the Lurkers to post and join in and see we do not bite.
It may be newbies also who have b4 & afters (this would be interesting to get to know our new members & also for a Lurker to post for the first time in this thread if they are to nervous to post in their own.

It is for us who have learned alot on WC also and to praise our artists friends who have helped.

It is also for everyone to see and praise their work (If you see a big improvement on someone, please let them know, either here or in a pm. :wink2:

Reinhard this is for everyone to post b4 drawings & current ones, that they think shows improvement in their work. As many or few as you like, can be the same (would be interesting) or not. It is for some who may not think they did improve also (because some of us may think we did not and others may see an improvement where we cannot). So yes please do post Rita 1 & Rita 2. I have still been working on my BF's pic so I may post him again. :cat:

Bronc cool I loved your Elvis but Jimi has so much more contour and value.

Great Mary, I am so happy you will be contributing too. :wave:

Reinhard1
03-21-2005, 08:25 AM
sults, your wish is my demand. Here are my two takes of Rita. The difference in time is 9 months (July last year) and yesterday and MANY hours of practice. If Ican do it, so can you.

Mary Woodul
03-21-2005, 12:35 PM
Hi everyone! I wanted to comment on everyone's wonderful and superbly executed drawings but I am so behind and have to finish my fantasy drawing also, so I will just post mine and admire everybodies drawings.

Nstacey
03-21-2005, 01:38 PM
Hi
I've attached an example of the first portrait I can remember doing of Pamela Anderson (I think it was back in 1992), next to the latest commission portrait I have just finished. Although I think I have improved greatly, the Pamela Anderson was still taken by my publisher (he actually took more of my old stuff than my later work!!), so it can't be that bad.
I then have my first dog drawing the two puppies (only about a year ago, but that was the first time I attempted an animal).

I think the main difference in my work is the time it takes to produce a drawing. Drawing people has practically halved in time as I have perfected the techniques I use, whilst drawing animals has more than doubles as I realised that I needed a completely new technique.

I'm sorry I don't have anything from school to post, but this is the oldest I have done since GCSE Art! I then didn't draw for around 9 years - I have only been drawing seriously for approx 10 months.

AuntBe1
03-21-2005, 08:22 PM
Hi Sults! Thanks for the invite!! Hi All! I've actually been concentrating on using CP's but really need to do some graphite work (my first and strongest love. lol). I don't have much before stuff, but this is probably the best example that I have to show what this wonderful website has done for me. The first is a CP that I did of my daughter before finding WC and the second is a CP that I did while everyone held my hand and showed me the way. :D
There is sooo much excellent art on this thread that it would take me hours to examine it the way I would like.
Belinda

sultry
03-22-2005, 12:21 AM
Hiyas Mary, Nolan & Belinda & TY for posting, :)
Mary I remember these and your bad hairday goat? You beat the class with such a detailed piece. Where is the lily? lol

Hi Nolan, I did visit your web site and really fell for that pup. lol I can see why your publisher wanted Pamela Anderson too, you have her likeness right on.

Belinda wow I like your before but wow you sure did a subperb job rendering in cp on the 2nd one.

Wonderful guys, keep em coming :)

ripvanblair
03-22-2005, 06:23 AM
This is one I've just finished , sorry I don't get round to this forum enough----------Alan
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2005/3667-Brodick_Castle_fin_wc.jpg

*Deirdre*
03-22-2005, 06:33 AM
Alan...is this in coloured pencil? Do you have a before one? or did I miss it? :eek:

AuntBe1
03-22-2005, 10:24 AM
Thank you Sults, My daughter wants me to do it over again because it really doesn't look a whole lot like her. The nose is all wrong and her face appears a bit heavier. I think it embarrasses her a little. lol I'll have to try to fix this one or start over for her. :wink2:
Belinda

Subway
03-22-2005, 12:51 PM
Hiya Sultry!

Can't tell you how much I have missed you, Jay and the rest of the gang. My 87 year-old mother took what was supposed to be a short vacation to Florida. She wound up having 2 operations and, after several nervous weeks, has recovered and is settled in a retirement home.

I have continued doodling all this time but haven't had the chance to get back into the classes and post. I hope to do so soon. Can't wait to jump back into it.

Regards,

Jim

JayD
03-22-2005, 01:44 PM
Jim! I just placed you on our missing persons list (we have one now). Welcome back!!!! :wave: :wave: :wave:

siyenna
03-22-2005, 02:42 PM
hey guys I followed the link to here from sultrys signiture from the animal and wildlife forum, and I'm loving looking at all the before and after pictures!!
I wish I could post some of my before pictures (haven't got to the afters yet lol!) but my computers not up to it- it takes about an hour to download just one pic of digital camera to the internet = too expensive :(
I've been reading about basic 101 and I was just wondering what it is exactly and where to find it?

Firstsister
03-22-2005, 09:32 PM
Whoo! As you'll see from the condition of some of these, I really had to hunt them down and dig them out! LOL

I hope I'm not posting too many!

From a few years ago:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2005/32616-Dogs.jpg

From just before joing WC:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2005/32616-Greyhound.jpg

A recent drawing finished this past December:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2004/32616-Tarofinish.jpg[/QUOTE]

An sports drawing from many years ago:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2005/32616-Bruin.jpg

and one finished last month:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2005/32616-BASE_BALL-11X17_VERSION.JPG

sultry
03-22-2005, 10:05 PM
Hiyas Alan, is that cp? I did not see either what medium you used, and yes please post your B4 too.

Belinda, I am doing over Natalie (my daughter for the 3rd time). lol

Hiyas Dee :wave:

JIM! wow we missed ya Bro (inserts big hug here from all the 101'ers)
oh sorry to hear about your mom but glad she is all better now. Does that mean you will be coming back to class and posting something here?

Hiyas Jay :wave:

Hiyas Siyenna, did you get my pm?

:music: Oh Paula I am but a fool :music: for your sweet canines. How cute the before ones were too. I can see such an improvement to realism you have achieved.

ripvanblair
03-23-2005, 04:01 AM
I did a WIP of this in the watercolour forum, I can post acouple of the wip photos if you wish, it's all pencils-----------Alan

ripvanblair
03-23-2005, 04:37 AM
Here are the progress pics
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2005/3667-bc1.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2005/3667-bc2.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2005/3667-bc3.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2005/3667-bc4.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2005/3667-bc5.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2005/3667-bc6.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2005/3667-bc7.jpg

There is a more detailed WIP in the watercolour gallery-------------------thanks---------Alan

Subway
03-23-2005, 12:53 PM
Yes, I plan to be posting again very soon.

And my mother-in-law, who is a fantastic portrait artist in cp and pastel, has moved in with us. We have turned our dining room into an art studio where Nana holds court. All the kids - 4 of them, aged 16 to 5 - join in the fun. Even neighbor kids have stopped in and taken an art class or two. This is like a WC'ers dream - sketch pads, easels, and every sort of art supply, laying all over the place, and everyone jumping in, praising and critiquing each other's work, and loving every minute of it.

So I will be posting again soon, very soon...

I missed ya!

Jim

OzonaLori
03-23-2005, 11:07 PM
Sults,
Thanks for the invitation to join in on the fun over here. I peeked at a few of the pages in this thread- WOW! So cool to see the evolution of everyone's development. I can't wait to go through the thread with a fine-tooth comb and check all the work out!

I hope that my progress will be of some encouragement to some of the younger WC'ers who are pursuing an art degree.

I went back to my portfolio of work from college, and have some work here spanning 26 years- from my senior year in high school to now. The biggest difference in my work came from the switch after getting my 2 year degree in Art and going on for my bachelor's degree.

In one year- from 1981 to 1982, you can see a HUGE change in my work. I didn't draw much after I graduated in 1983- really until I started posting here, and taking a weekly drawing class. My style has evolved to be much looser. I included one I am working on now- the WIP of the Native American woman, so that you can see the change, and a representation of some of my current work. WC has been a place of great support and encouragement. I learn so much here!

I was a Beatle-maniac in HS- here is my 1979 rendition of the "cute" Beatle. (I was in love with John, though!)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2005/46879-Paul-McCartney-1979.jpg

Next, here is my 1981 self portrait. It was done from looking in a mirror. Apparently, I was frightened by what I saw ;)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2005/46879-Self-Portrait-1981.jpg

Wow, my first BUTT ICON! Woohoo!
Here is a drawing done less than a year after the self portrait, in a 1982 Life Drawing class.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2005/46879-Life-Drawing-1982.jpg

Finally, here's an example of the kind of drawings I like to do now. I start with a gesture drawing, and try to keep a feeling of freshness and movement in my drawings. I also am a lot better with my values from the early days. You can see how light and grayed out my earlier works were. I now love the gamut of value from white to black.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2005/46879-DSC00205.jpg

Thanks for looking, and Sults, thanks for starting this thread. You got my merit point for the day!

Matti Kataja
03-24-2005, 05:10 AM
I think I can post an old/new drawing combo since Sultry asked me for it :)

The subject is the same in both. Basically the first image is my first real graphite drawing ever, about 5years ago, made on a cheap paper with bad tools, no grids, minimal blending.

The second one represents my current working methods. As you can see, the tonal flow has gotten "slightly" better, mostly because of a better paper, pencils and blending techniques :evil:

In case you want to know how this can be done and what are the principles and methods behind it, please get familiar with my book "Advanced drawing techniques", will be released in the next few weeks :)

ripvanblair
03-24-2005, 08:13 AM
In contrast here is one of my earlier train drawings I gave up on it as it was going completely awry----------Alan
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2005/3667-old_oak_common_cps.JPG

AuntBe1
03-24-2005, 09:06 AM
Hi Matti,
OMG! That is NOT a drawing!! I can't believe it. WOW! I'm so 'drawn' to photo realism. Just amazing, I love it.
Belinda

sultry
03-24-2005, 09:15 AM
Oh Paula I forgot to add I love your portraits (as you already know that). lol I see how much you have developed your skill on them too.

Heck Jim, I coming to your house. lol

So, cool Allen thank you for posting this b4, which by the way is great and just cannot see why you stopped. :(

Lori, Thank you hon, for posting your work ( I liked John too). I see a great difference and now the unique style you took on has such great darks in it. You should do your self portrait again. Your piece pops out at you, as I told you in a pm the look in her face touches my inspirational essence. I can just see yourself in this. Oh ya ty for the merit pt.
lol never received one of those b4 lol :cat:

I am so honored Matti you posted your b4 & photo (lol) I know its another Matti Masterpiece. I am so excited you have a book coming out soon.

I know what you mean Belinda lol, btw you should see his fire & ice masterpiece I am a big fan of his. I must say that he has inspired me to really learn how to sketch fire & ice & smoke. I have goggled over his pieces for quite some time. lol enough of the drooling now sults. lol

Eclipse
03-28-2005, 11:52 AM
Sultry ask me to do this old/new thing, so….

The old one I did when I was thirteen years old, my mother wanted a drawing of “Jesus” she still has it stored in some closet, I cringe when I see this thing but for the age I was I guess I shouldnt beat myself up to much.

The “new” one is about a year or so old, pencil drawing of Russell Thayer

Thanks

Armin

*Deirdre*
03-28-2005, 12:38 PM
WOW! I'd be happy to do one as good as the one you did aged 13! :wink2: :wave:

sultry
03-28-2005, 02:54 PM
WOW is right, Oh Armin Thank You and no wonder you draw life, the way you drew Jesus at age 13 has so much detail and values. WOW
& FEELING in the eyes.

AuntBe1
03-28-2005, 03:03 PM
Armin, If you don't mind me asking, what paper did you draw Russell Thayer on? This is graphite right? It's a wonderful drawing. I love the lighting.
Belinda

Subway
03-28-2005, 04:43 PM
You're the man, Armin. Your Jesus knocks me over with emotional intensity. Looks like the Jesus from the Zefferelli movie. Was that your model?

Jim

jamie malloy
03-29-2005, 01:54 PM
here is two drawings one was done last august its entitled max version 1 and the new one is done this month and is entitled warm smile or carlos in the sun 2 and is a part of my carlos series, studying a south brazillian guy. i think i have improved a bit but its partly thanks to the guys and gals here at wetcanvas :D
jamie

tumteetum
03-30-2005, 11:06 AM
This is a great thread. You guys all make me want to be a better artist! I am just starting lesson one this week (a late bloomer perhaps).

sultry
03-30-2005, 11:49 AM
Hiyas Jamie & ty for posting your B4 & after (your great with expression) I see you have improved your darks.

Hiyas Rachel & Welcome to WC & to 101, I am sure you will find you made a good decision to join WC. :) Also, joining 101 only will enhance it.
I am taking a little break due to personal health reasons but Jay(Our wonderful 101 Teach), Judi, Dave & all other great subbies are always around to comment on your work. Glad to have you. :cat: I promise to look in on your work though.

Atrsy
04-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Sultry asked me to post a before and after drawing here, so here goes. But first, let me telll you that about 3 years ago, my new years resolution was to do watercolors as a way of getting back into my art. I did that for about a year and then went to wc pencils, then cp and finally I found graphite. :wink2: This has become my passion. I love to draw and spend lots of time on it. My goal this year is to "pretend" this is my job and do at least 40 hrs work on drawing a week. I wanted to do 2 drawings a week, but I've been working larger and haven't quite met that goal, but that's ok with me.

Here are two drawings for comparison. The little boy was one of the first graphites done about 2 years ago and the other is recent.

Thanks for inviting me to join this thread.
Carol

Reinhard1
04-07-2005, 04:25 PM
Carol, from good to superperfecrexcellent in just 2 years !!!!! :envy: :envy: :envy: :envy: :envy: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Atrsy
04-07-2005, 04:44 PM
Reinhard, :) :) :)

sultry
04-07-2005, 09:30 PM
Carol I echo what Reinhard says Wow 2 YEARS!!!! I see such detail and realism in your little girl. The little boy was still good in porportion and rendering the facial features but WOW the little girl is like a photo.
Thank you Carol for posting these, I am going to listen to your tips because it shows how they helped you. By the way we will be doing hands & feet next week I am sure Jay and the class would love to have you come in and give your expertise on this subject.

Atrsy
04-08-2005, 12:13 AM
Thanks, Sultry. I don't know that I have expertise in hands and feet. I struggle with hands and have never drawn feet.

Carol

Reinhard1
08-03-2005, 09:36 AM
Sultry suggested I brought this thread back to the top and so I'll post my first gridded portrait and my last freehand portrait. The time difference is about 16 months.
Lurkers and beginners, take heart, this could be your success.

sultry
08-03-2005, 09:49 AM
RR, Bro you are a inspiration to us ALL do you know that???
Yes, I did ask for this to come back out for all new & struggling artists to see that they can too do it, if they only take notice of drawing what their eyes see.
Hence, Draw what you see.
Since this thread was posted we have new comers and we have also members who have improved their renderings, see above, our beloved RR has proved that to us. :)
I invite all new artists to post their b4 & afters, but I also invite our artists who posted here already to post their current work with their last posted work to show how much more they have accomplished. Hey Dee please post Lori's mom here you have shown so much improvement from your last post in this thread. Also post your current work.
Bon, I love your hard indian fairy she needs to be posted here so does your glass dolphin.
101ers you are amazing me class by class you too must post your currents.
This thread has such a tremendous uplift and inspiration for a struggling artist it should be a book. :)

edited to add... Oh Carol sorry I just saw your post, GF, You may think you struggle with hands & feet but gf you have to post your beautiful emotion portrait that touched me so much. It shows so much.

Reinhard1
08-03-2005, 09:56 AM
sults, there comes one little additional comment to my mind. See what darks can do to a portrait? So, don't be afraid of the darks, they are your friends and can and should be PUSHED.

Anita Murphy
08-03-2005, 10:00 AM
WOW Reinhard - I was impressed before but am even more so now. Being a relative newcomer to WC I didn't see the start of your journey. What progress! You really are an inspiration to us all!

Reinhard1
08-03-2005, 10:05 AM
Anita, RR sits here red-faced and gleaming. Thanks.

sultry
08-03-2005, 10:51 AM
YUP Anita, RR's journey is a blessing to us all, if you were to take a look at all his threads (as I just did) you will not only see he has threads asking advice, showing break throughs but also his hard times are shown too, when he would hit (as we all do), the dreaded artist block. All his good & bad times are there for all of us to see that we are not alone in feelings we have for our own art. Not to forget, all his posts to other threads, encouraging and helpful C&C. :)

RR please do not get mad at me but I think this is what should be shown for all our new members & lurkers to really taste the success of your current sp.

I have taken the liberty & decided to post the threads that show your posted LILO pic wip threads to your prior sp thread to your current one. I am so darn proud of you Bro. :)

Your struggle and your hard perserverence is evident in the following, I can see why you improved in 16 months. You never stopped practicing. :)

LILO IN MEMORY (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183132)

LILO AGAIN (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192718)

LILO DARKER (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193322)

ME IN 5 + 5 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266349)

SELF PORTRAIT - WIP (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284213)

Also I think you had a break through in this thread...

TRYING TO FOLLOW ARMIN (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271472)

Hope you do not get too mad at me for doing this Bro. lol :D

Judi1957
08-03-2005, 12:52 PM
Astronomical improvement Rein!
I had wondered how far you've come-and WOW what a great journey that has lead you to this point! :clap: :clap: :clap:
You should be gleaming with pride!

Blah
08-03-2005, 01:11 PM
Sultry...saw this thread for the first time today; its wonderful.

Reinhard...your progress to your present level in such a short time is astonishing, highly impressive and very inspiring.

Blah

Reinhard1
08-03-2005, 02:21 PM
Guys, please, don't embarass me, it's been nothing and I had good teachers here in D&S.

JayD
08-03-2005, 02:30 PM
Rein--you are living proof that there are darks at the end of the tunnel.

Also, take this down to your local office supplie or copy area and photo copy it onto some colored ground--try several colors--and what what happens. Then TOUCH up the colored versions with colored pencil.

Imagine redoing the whole thing in indigo blue--warming it up with tuscan red and then applying your local colors (all in cp)--it would look like a photograph.

lullrich76
08-03-2005, 02:32 PM
Hi All,

This is a great thread. I am sort of a newbie, I started last October, then stopped for about 6 months and now am back. It can be very scary to post after looking through all the other posts. I still can't believe how real most of the drawings look and I can't imagine that I will ever be able to do that, but I hope that I surprise myself one day. I missed a majority of the 101 classes and I have only done maybe 5 drawings all together. I am at work right now, but I will post them later tonight.

Lisa

Reinhard1
08-03-2005, 03:15 PM
JayD, since I have a fairly acceptable colour laser printer (HP Color LaserJet 3500), I might even try that here.
So you think my next step would be cp? Your opinion is highly welcome. I might not do it as yet, but at least I would know the direction you would send me to.

JayD
08-03-2005, 03:21 PM
I think you should give it a shot--but if you think this is slow--wait until you try colored pencils. Take a quick peek at the forum.

sultry
08-03-2005, 03:25 PM
Hiyas Lisa I remember you and I am so glad you will post again. :) Please do not feel at all scared to post your work. We all started somewhere and each time we practice we achieve another opening to our artistic eye.
I believe it is not only practice but it is also a "want to" inside ourselves that drives us to learn.
Some of us have different levels of art knowledge and some of us have different styles we are goaling for, I do think in time, with much practice and also the wanting drive will get us there. :) Looking forward to your posts.

lullrich76
08-03-2005, 06:21 PM
Thanks Sults! Well, here they are. The lily one I am still finishing. I uploaded them first to last.

Lisa :wave:

sultry
08-03-2005, 07:29 PM
Hiyas Lisa, Wow you have a variety of really nice drawings. :) I am going to point out what I like about each one and why I think you are using your artistic eye.

I think the first one reminds me of a country and would look nice hanging in a Country Decorative theme room. I like how you have different patterns and the shadow of the lamp on the wall. The way you rendered the doors with the shadow a little darker from the opening is very good. You have shown your eye does see the shade and light in that area and also applied it to your rendering.
The building & front stair landscape, I think I saw this one in the WDT last year maybe. Anyways, I see the trees were rendered well because you have done them as light as possible to show distance. I also like how your stroke are darker on the stair and rail as to show the point of interest. You also did well in rendering that stair rail it looks straight and you can tell it is coming from the building. The first post is shaded nicely too.
The Swan, you also did well in the texture of the feathers of the swan. It looks like felt soft to the touch. the neck contour shading is good with dark and light. I like the way you have the wings shaded from the body also.
The lily, (by the way I love lillies) my Peace lillies are finally blooming :) The betas look so pretty with their Peace Lillies (I like to say they are Indian Head Pieces). lol
Already your lillies are being rendered with the light & shade in mind and also with soft strokes to show the delicate texture they are.
GF you are doing wonderful and if you want to join 101, remember this the first classes Jay stresses are the first 5, after that you can jump anywhere you want to.
You did start before so you may have done most of the first classes.
The reason for the first 5 is to be able to teach your artistic eye to recognize geo shapes and how to render them (besides learning what supplies & materials needed and how to hold a pencil). Geo shapes are in everything we Draw.

lullrich76
08-03-2005, 07:46 PM
Hi Sults,

Thanks for the nice comments. I really didn't know I had it in me. I do notice that if I put a drawing aside and go back to it later on that it turns out a lot better.

To me, I like the stair drawing, the building drawing I don't really like the shadow of the light (I think it is too big or something), the swan I still think looks flat.

I am going to keep at it as much as I can, but I am really busy with work, school and more work at home that I don't get much free time. Even if I am not able to post, I do enjoy reading through the threads.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome to us newbies! I also like the c&c that everyone gives, it is a good way to improve.

Lisa

sultry
08-03-2005, 07:54 PM
Yw Lisa & you can always pm me if you have a question, I understand about other commitments. :) They do come first but remember to also have free time and do something you enjoy once in awhile too. :)

SusF
08-04-2005, 06:16 AM
The before and after images are amazing! Reinhard, I love your self-portrait and have been watching it develop.

I've been lurking for a few weeks. I've read through most of the lessons and it's time to put pencil to paper and begin. I posted my pre-drawing in the first class thread. I saw Silknation's dragon challenge in her signature line and that jogged my memory. I used to draw dragons all of the time. So I did one as a pre-drawing.

I'm not new to art, I make pottery. My two-dimensional skills are sorely lacking and I want to be able to draw and paint. I finally convinced myself that it took me 20 years to make a descent pot (I'm not a full time potter), so I need to give myself some time in order to develop my drawing muscles. I always thought that drawing was an innate ability and this thread has convinced me otherwise. Thank you!

Looking forward to some 'after' pics from myself. Would like to learn to draw origional dragons and not a copy of someone elses!

Susan :wave: :wave: :wave:

Reinhard1
08-04-2005, 06:29 AM
Susan, so great of you to come out of lurking. Armin, one of THE if not THE BEST graphite artis has once wrote that it takes dedication and patience to draw well far more so than the overrated word of "talent". I tend to agree and I think I am to some degree proof or that.

sultry
08-04-2005, 09:48 AM
Hiyas Susan :) & glad you came out of lurking to join us. I am sure soon you will be original pieces. I see you already started 101 & soon your artistic eye will be able to see more and you will have so many drawings of your own original dragons lying around.

llanpe
08-04-2005, 08:03 PM
Thanks Sultry for bringing here so many talented artists, and see how they are doing from the beginings to the present. One of my first drawings ever was a selfportrait, and I like to do a couple of them every year to compare and see how much I improved. First one Feb. 2003,then June 2004 and the last in May 2005.
Regards to all
Peter

Judi1957
08-04-2005, 08:16 PM
Peter-That is quite a dramatic improvement as well in a short time! :clap: :clap:
Nice to see you! :)

llanpe
08-04-2005, 08:24 PM
Thanks Judi, but I am working hard and I am going to the best art school... "Wet Canvas"
Peter

JayD
08-04-2005, 08:35 PM
Peter!!! HI!! :wave: :wave: :wave:

Sults is great!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Judi1957
08-04-2005, 08:46 PM
Sults is great!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

You said it JayD! :D

Fireman's kid
08-04-2005, 09:21 PM
Hi Sults! I must apologize. Long ago when you first started this thread, I promised to post my work here. Then I hit a block, got frustrated and forgot all about it. Now that it has popped back up to the top (thanks to Rein's fabulous examples!) I decided to keep my word. Sorry for the delay. :o

Anyway, the first two posts are pre-101. One is a sketch I did of my hand sometime in the second half of 2003. The other is my 101 pre-assignment, a portrait of my daughter at the beach. This one was completed in Oct. of '04.

The "current" drawings are from 101 lessons. The still life is graphite and was done in Dec. '04. The pears are charcoal and were completed the end of Jan. '05. And the foot, which is also done in charcoal, was completed this March.

Unfortunately I don't have anything from the last few months. I have been dealing with my own frustrating artist's block (at least for my drawings). I do have a portrait of my other daughter in the works. When it is done, if it shows improvement :rolleyes: , I will post it here.

sultry
08-04-2005, 09:31 PM
Hey Gang :),
Hiyas Jay & Judi, you guys made me blush

Peter HIYAS & wow you did improve so quickly! You too did a sp from sketch to realism with wonderful value tones.

I agree with you the best artschool there is here in WC. For me its been Basic 101 and Jay and all my classmates encouragement.

Speaking of another classmate, Stacy, ty for posting also, I can see so much improvement in your work too. I remember those great renderings.

With both of your works, It looks like the strokes are applied for a reason in the current works. They show light & shade, they show contrast, they show what you see. I am so glady you both posted I hope more artist post it sure is motivation for others to pick up a pencil. :)

mhimeswc
08-31-2005, 08:31 PM
I am a watercolorist, and I always knew that drawing was my weak point. When I saw the 101 class I decided to take a chance - what did I have to lose. The first lesson asked us to draw something that we thought was "too hard" for us. I did a portrait of my grandson, Matthew. Many drawings later we were asked to re-draw these pre-class drawings. So here is the reference photo, and my drawings of Matthew at age 1 1/2.

Reference photo: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2005/20035-MatthewPhotoSmall.jpg

Pre-class drawing:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2005/20035-Pre-classMatthew.jpg

and here is my current drawing of Matthew:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2005/20035-MattDrawing3small.jpg

I hope you see a little improvement.

Michelle

sultry
09-01-2005, 09:10 AM
Hiyas Michelle, Thank you for posting your pre-class & your current here. I am so glad you did because it shows how much more your artistic eye really has grown in the 25 classes Jay has given us. I see not only the form is even much more realistic but I also see confidence in your strokes as you rendered your adorable grandson.

To the Lurkers and the Members here, If you do not know, Our beloved Jay has decided to stop teaching the Basic 101 classes and he will be missed. I know he has a life beyond WC & 101 but every class he put his all into it. He researched and wrote up and even drew sketches of demos for every class. He gave C&C and even changed some of the classes to accomadate what the students asked for.

I know it was not easy for him with a job that requires over time a loving family and faithful dog, he still produced a 5 star class every time. I am hoping all our students will post their pre class assignment and their current in honor of him. I plan to and along with that I will post my cat that I started to draw when I started the class last Oct. next to my current cat I am working on now, when I complete it.
For now I will show you the awful cat I did last year. here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228105) Please do not laugh too hard.

We do have another teacher who has graciously agreed to take over and we are very grateful and happy Troy will be our new teacher.

So, Please if you want to give Jay your thoughts it would be appreciated here and also to welcome our new Teach Troy.

Also, to those of you who lurked in the classes and never posted, now would be a good time to post what you learned by posting a b4 your lurked and now drawing. Come on I know some have followed and shyly afraid to post, we would love to see and I promise we don't bite.

mhimeswc
09-02-2005, 12:04 AM
JayD, you have my heartfelt thanks for the 25 classes you've given us. You put a lot of time and work into them, and as you can see from this thread, we all learned a lot. You are a terrific teacher.

Troy, thanks for volunteering to take over the class. Can't wait to see what you have in store for us.

Michelle

JayD
09-02-2005, 12:30 AM
I would like to throw in my two cents worth here too, Sults--first, Michelle thankyou for the very kind comments--it was a thrill that Murray and Gavin and of course our Admin team allowed these classes to take place.

If you are a lurker--Troy is a different sort of teacher and I think you will find him interesting. His techniques are also advanced so if you are looking for some classes with a little more edge then now is the time to jump in--he is very good and you will pick up a lot. I am extremely pleased that he volunteered to take over as the Basic 101 helmsman.

sultry
09-02-2005, 07:34 AM
it was a thrill that Murray and Gavin and of course our Admin team allowed these classes to take place.

OHHHHH Jay I 2nd this and I also would like to say I am glad this WC site was even started in the first place. It is so wonderful to have so many artists meet in this lil spot in the net to share, learn, teach and grow with other artists. Not only the class but the whole WC Site is really something.
So, yes I do agree, TY Murray, Gavin & Admin Team for Basic 101.

sultry
09-02-2005, 01:37 PM
Well I just got word from my Teach (Jay) that my cat is finished. :) So now I will post the b4 & after together so you all can see if I improved in my 25 classes.
Ty again WC, Admin, Murray, Gavin & Jay :) I could of never ever of done this without your help.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2005/29757-grouchycat.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2005/29757-kitty10.jpg

Intrigued
09-03-2005, 08:20 AM
I have a question. I appears that this thread was started for people that have been following along and just not posting. I just recently started participating in WC in the watercolor forum and have just found this wonderful lesson. I would like to start at lesson one. Since I am so far behind is it possible to start now and post or would it be better for me to just work on my own using the lessons provided? I am amazed at the before and after drawings and this gives me hope that I also can improve my skill in this area.
Thanks Vicki

sultry
09-03-2005, 09:05 AM
Hiyas Vicki :)
Yes this thread was started to get lurkers interested in posting and joining WC. It not only has b4 & afters of the students but also of the WC members too. This is not only for people to join the class but just to come out and join WC too.

I am happy that you have interest to join the classes though and I can tell you, Yes you may start at the beginning (quite a few of the 101 students were doing wc as you will see. I know CJ, Stacy and Michelle were not sure whom else but I think some of the guys too.

If your not sure where to start, the classes can be found in the Learning Center at the top of the D/s forum. What Jay recommends is that you do take the first 5 classes they are very crucial to you learning the way to hold the pencil, posture, materials and the absolute valuable lessons of the geo shapes. Everything we draw has a geo shape within it and if you learn to follow the shape with a pencil, you will be half way there. Also, learning the way to shade tone values for light & shade is the cherry of the sundae to put it all together you will have so much to help you meet your artistic goals what ever it may be, wc, oils, cp or any other media.

We do have 101 students starting all the time and we do c&c the past classes. Jay, Judi, I and others always check in. I am sure our new teacher will too. Glad to have you join Vicki.

Anita Murphy
09-03-2005, 09:09 AM
Sults this is such a great thread!

Mary Woodul
09-03-2005, 09:42 AM
Sults, what a difference in your cats. What JayD has done for us is really something that is hard to show the gratitude with words. It is so palpable in all of the work of every poster. I will post mine as soon as I finish the graphite version, together with the CP.

Alison2
09-03-2005, 10:04 AM
Hello all,

What an inspiring thread this has been. I've spent most of today looking at various links as a result of it.

I'm so glad it's not too late to join. I'm going to start from the beginning and plod on and if I improve a fraction of what I've seen on here I'll be so happy.

Thank you everyone, for sharing how far you've come.

Alison :wave:

sultry
09-03-2005, 10:31 AM
Thanx Anita (looking forward to your sp b4 & after posts).
Thanx Mary, glad you will be posting them. :)
Hiyas Alison :), Its great for you to join us.

Improving is possible when you really want to do something and you have your heart in it because it makes it fun. To have something that is fun to do, is easy for us to do everyday. When you do it every day you are practicing and that is how you improve. Like the saying goes, Practice makes Perfect. Well practice also makes your artistic eye see more.

I do not think I could ever get this kind of education from any other art school that I would have to physically attend. Infact, if I would of attended one, my guess is I would not of improved as fast as I have in WC D/s Basic 101.
It is because we have such a close nit hands on class. One thing about the Basic 101 class I have found valuable for me is that it lets me look at things from someone elses eye (instead of my own). My teachers, are not only Jay & Troy but my classmates too.

Intrigued
09-03-2005, 10:38 AM
I am glad that it is not to late to join this class. And Alison, I am glad to see that someone will be starting lesson one at the same time I am. I will get started this weekend.
Vicki

mhimeswc
09-03-2005, 01:39 PM
Good to see you here, Vicki. Yes, you can start at the beginning. Someone will always be there to comment and offer guidance. I have missed quite a few lessons, so when I have time I intend to go back and do the ones I've missed. I check the new posts to the 101 classes when I see them, to see what the newbies have done also.

Michelle

Cathie Jones
09-03-2005, 06:15 PM
Hi Vicki and Alison - welcome to Basic 101. You won't be ignored if you start at the beginning. JayD or one of the subbies (usually Sults and Judi) check them when someone posts, so you'll get the same benefit we all did from them. And if you want, you can join the current classes at the same time. We'd love to have you!!

So, Ms. Sultry Ma'am told me to get myself over here and post my re-do's. First is the boat that caused me to join Basic 101 - I just didn't have the tools to be above to draw this boat that I wanted to paint. Second is a re-do from last week with graphite and graphitints. Third is a graphite version which is easier to compare to the original.

Thank you JayD, Sults, Judi, Anita, Mary, Michelle, Rein, Joe, Dave . . . and all of the others who helped me develop the skills to finally get this little blue monster out of my system!!

Alison2
09-04-2005, 06:08 AM
Hi and thanks to you all for such a warm welcome!

Vicki, I'll start this weekend too - see you in class! :eek:

Alison :D :wave:

Anita Murphy
09-04-2005, 10:56 PM
Alison & Vicki - see you in class!

Sults has asked me to post this. I am a relative newcomer to Basic 101, I think I have done the last 7 or 8 classes. I cannot stress enough to anyone considering joining us what an incredible experience it is being a part of this group. The support is amazing, honest critiques are such a help, and the friends you will make along the way are the biggest bonus of all. Bless them all - they are the people I "speak" to most every day!

This is the self portrait I did for Class 18 (I think) and for the latest class, Class 26 - a revision to see progress.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2005/58769-IMG_1400.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2005/58769-IMG_2040.jpg

Alison2
09-05-2005, 03:55 AM
Hi Anita,

Thanks for showing us this - it's amazing! I thought the first one was good, but the second... :clap: :clap:

Appreciate your taking the time to post it - and thank you too Sultry for asking her to!

Will be posting my first contributions to lesson one tomorrow hopefully. Already done lines and spheres. Am off work today on the first day of a 2 Mondays course on drawing for beginners. Rumour has it that we're doing a still ife this afternoon...I've been trying copying from photographs which is one thing, but working from something 'real' is what terrifies me, so I'll post whatever I produce as my pre-class assignment!

Thanks again for showing us the portrait and I'll see you in class!

Alison

Mary Woodul
09-05-2005, 07:26 AM
Sults, this is such an encouraging thread and a way for those of us who want to know if we have improved , to find out.

I am posting my first work for the preliminary assignment in class 101 when JayD so generously started this class. The other two post are of the same vase drawn last week. One in CP and the other in graphite.

Sults, thank again for starting this thread.

JayD
09-05-2005, 07:34 AM
Anita, I love the new avatar--Bravo--

Hi, Allison--I have a special excercise for you to do apart from the Basic 101 classes--get yourself a camera digital or otherwise and then set up a nice still life--make sure that the still life says something about yourself--kind of a personality portrait of sorts. Photograph and print out the still life in both gray scale and in color. Set them both up so that you can see them side by side with the live still life. NOW begin to draw FROM LIFE the still life that you have set up.

First, AVOID DETAIL--only draw the geometric shapes that make up the still life--and then identify and lightly lay in shadows--do not overdo it--you are just creating a map. Reference the photos while you are doing this.

Second---go to the photos--turning away from the still life. Start adding the detail--identify you lightest values, then your darkest--put the darks in first.

Third--turn BOTH photos over an turn back to the live still life--now complete the picture adding more detail and firming up you values.

The purpose of this excercise will be to build you a bridge between the photograph and the paper. The reason for building a still life that says something about YOU is because you want to set up familiar ground for youreself. It will help you to easily transition. Hope to see you in Basic 101!!!--Jayd

sultry
09-06-2005, 11:25 AM
Yeyyy CJ, Anita & Mary Thank You All for posting your wonderful pca and currents, boy do I see such dramatic change in all 3 of you.
One thing I have noticed, even though we are all taking the same course, is that each of us have our own style but we each improve at different times through the course and we all improve in different areas too.

Alison2
09-06-2005, 01:50 PM
Hi JayD and thank you for this extra special still life exercise - very much appreciated!

It sounds scary but I can see how it will help me make the transition. It makes such a lot of sense and will be interesting to see the difference as I work. The still life in yesterday's class was a leaf. Sounds easy, but I didn't finish along with everybody else, as I kept freezing with panic... :eek:

Will be posting, lines, spheres and leaf tonight - the rest will follow soon! I've also ordered a copy of the book from Amazon.

Thank you again! See you in class!

Alison

JayD
09-06-2005, 02:20 PM
Alison, you're welcome--make sure that you post it for us here so that we can see how you are doing--dont be afraid to post it in its different stages as well. good luck!!!

jsyerxa
09-06-2005, 02:27 PM
Sultry
Okay - so ya caught me peeking through the window. After lurking for the last year or so (other that a couple of trys at the All Media events) I posted a couple of drawings I did of the May WDE event. One of the people mentioned I should cross-post them to D&S. Is there a special method to cross post or did they mean to start a thread in this Forum? Any suggestions would be great.
One of the recurring things I see in D&S is to keep a drawing pad with you at all times, which I stared doing a couple of months ago and it has been a real benefit, so thanks WCers for the suggestion. I never did carry anything because I felt kind of weird sitting around in front of people drawing. Not real good with the plien-air stuff either. Did go into a farm field (no one was around) once to paint a picture of a barn but a momma mink and her kids walked out of the weeds right under my easel and glared at me. I think she wasn't very happy. Where is the camera when you need it?
My step daughter had a baby last Tuesday and my step son got married on Sunday night so it was a crazy week. I did do a picture of the Bride and Groom for the front of their wedding program and we framed it so everyone could sign the matt and gave it to the newly weds. So I may post that in this site.
I will try not to be a lurker and admit that I have been stealing knowledge from the 101 classes.
John

sultry
09-06-2005, 05:07 PM
Hiyas John :), Ah HA! I knew some of you guys were following along with out posting. :) So glad to see you post a hello now though.
Yes by all means start a thread here in D/s with your Drawings we would love to see it. If it is a painting or any other media we only ask that you show the pre drawing or sketch you used to start it.
I have a couple of questions, Do you happen to have a drawing you did before you lurked in 101? Would be interesting to see one and one current one now. :) Also, what classes did you silently follow with us?

jsyerxa
09-08-2005, 09:28 AM
Hi Sultry -
In response to your question on having some pre class drawings I do have a number in my drawing pad from before I found the D/S forum and the classes. I will post something when I find out if I can pull the images from the All Media Event.
On What classes did I follow, what I would do is look into any class that would help me with a problem or question I had. For instance I was feeling that my pencil drawings did not have enough snap to them so I went into the tones and values class and read through that, made myself a gray scale and started pushing the envelope so to speak. I don't have a lot of time to do any drawing so I don't do the actual lessons and assignments ( ya - I know, Bad student same as I heard in High School) but I try to apply the different things from the classes to whatever I am working on at the time. I have a link in my favorites to the Basic 101 page so I can pop in and open up the pdfs. It has been great.
I would also like to thank JayD for all the time and fine work he has put into the classes and welcome Troy. I will try not to lurk in the background and make some time to participate. On reading his class 26 assignment he wanted a pre class assignment and then a redo of that picture. Thought I would do the chair but I guess that would not be a pre class picture so I may have to dig through some of my old drawings and redraw one.
One of the most valuable things I have gotten from this site is to carry a drawing pad with you where ever you go and to draw, It has been a lot of fun and has kept me in the art "mood" a lot more. Wish I would have started that 40 years ago. Wasted a lot of time on some dump stuff.

Well enough rambling
Thanks again to everyone spending time helping others to learn!!
John

sultry
09-08-2005, 09:47 AM
Hiyas John I peeked at your work and WOW your really good you do have a handle on contrast and textures you do need to find a way to post this for everyone to see. :) So glad you will be joining us too.

Alison2
09-13-2005, 02:50 PM
Hello everyone,

I jumped on board 101 class 1 just last week and Sultry has asked us newbies to post our pre class assignments here.

So here's mine, a leaf. I'm very much a beginner.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2005/43103-leaf1.jpg

I'm still on lesson 1, have a special assignment to do :D
Already I'm learning a lot and they are a really great bunch of people who want us all to learn and enjoy our drawing.

So if you're lurking, come and join us! :D

Alison :wave:

Intrigued
09-13-2005, 07:48 PM
Hi everyone,
Was ask to show my pca drawing in this thread. I just started Basic 101 and am amazed at the warm welcome I have received. There are about 9 who have started lesson one at this time so it would be a perfect time to jump in and start posting. Anita your drawing is amazing. If I achieve anything close to something that good I will be thrilled. I am really looking forward to improving my drawing skills.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2005/54987-PreDrawing.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2005/54987-RefPhoto_PreDraw.JPG

IslanderNL
09-13-2005, 08:28 PM
I'm posting here as well, just starting the drawing once more after a long absence.

Here is my pca. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2005/67422-Sketches_Sept_5.05_044.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2005/67422-kitjune20_sml.JPG

sultry
09-14-2005, 09:28 AM
Alison, Vicki & Jeanette thank you so much for posting your pca. It will be so nice to see your progress here too as well.

Lurkers are you ready yet to post? I have a question, do you show someone your drawing and they comment, very good, I wish I could draw as well as you? On the same note, Do others tell you, very good but push the darks more. Or do you look at your own work and wish it did not have such a flat look to it?
I have had those comments and also felt that way about my work. I can tell you going though the course has made me make my flatness start to pull up from the paper, not yet to where I want it but I am learning. (We are all always learning). You learn faster joining in, not only by being taught but also by commenting on others work, it teaches your artistic eye to see more. You open your eyes and see what is really there (not what you think you see there).
So if you are at a standstill in your artwork, now is the time to start changing that and open your artistic eye a little more.
Why put off something magical for tomorrow, when you can learn it today? Tomorrow is but a thought, Today is not.

dex
01-12-2006, 02:34 PM
I've been carrying this around for the last hour since I finished colouring,(phew it's getting heavy!:) )....didn't know where to put it,so dumping it on you!:evil:(if it's wrong place,chuck it out!):).
It's Rembrandts self portrait 1658
dex

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2006/69694-image0.jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#)

AlisonBC
01-12-2006, 04:49 PM
OK, I am joining this thread as a testimony to how much I have learned in 12 weeks. I was a very reluctant 101'er. This was my PCA (baby Katie)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2006/68572-better_katie.jpg

And this is Jeanette, a 2B mechanical pencil drawing I finished on Tuesday (12 weeks after drawing Katie)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2006/68572-jeanette_scanfive.jpg

Even I am pleased with my progress :D Thanks to Troy and Judi for their constant support and great advice!

dex
01-12-2006, 06:25 PM
did a bit more cp.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2006/69694-Chinese_Junk_Jan_12_06.jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#)
imaginary scene
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2006/69694-Imaginary_scene_Jan_12_06.jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#)

Anita Murphy
01-12-2006, 08:47 PM
Alison - WOW! You were good to start with but now there is no holding you!

Alison2
01-13-2006, 03:47 PM
Alison! Woo hoo! Incredible! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Alison2:wave:

TauCetiV
03-07-2006, 02:58 PM
Well I got nosy and lurked because I am joinging in ... well heres my first drawing.... Got to work on the first lesson tonight! cheers!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Mar-2006/44366-firstdrawing1.jpg

JayD
03-07-2006, 03:24 PM
Terri, welcome to Basic 101--good group of people here to help you--that is a great still life--cant wait to see more!!

Fozbot
03-07-2006, 05:46 PM
Hi Terri and Welcome to the 101's!:wave:

TauCetiV
03-07-2006, 07:06 PM
Thanks!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Mar-2006/44366-catlookinghole.gif

myrairving
03-20-2006, 10:56 AM
I just want to say thank you for this thread.. it really helped me to make up my mind to join in the classes. :thumbsup:

Hushdwhisper
05-13-2006, 07:24 PM
I just stumbled onto a reference on this class in another post. I really felt intimidated because I have not drawn anything in more than 10 years. I took a few art classes when I was in school and enjoyed them, but never really stuck with it. After reading this thread I'm ready to start with the Basic 101 class, afterall we all start somewhere.

-Faith

Anita Murphy
05-13-2006, 09:11 PM
Faith - we're looking forward to having you in the class. Thank you for digging this up out of the depths.

sultry
05-13-2006, 09:54 PM
Wow I did not realize people were still looking at this, lol, Hey thank you all for posting and yes please do Faith join in.
Thank you Anita for answering everyone. :)

Fireman's kid
05-16-2006, 03:17 PM
I posted once already in this thread, but since I saw it pop back up recently, I wanted to add an update.

I've been taking the 101 Classes since the beginning. I haven't completed them all but I've done many of the classes. I just finished up Class 33 which is Advanced Portraiture - Males. Drawing people is the one thing that has always intimidated me, but I think I've finally overcome that fear. :clap:

Here is my pre-class drawing. A drawing of my daughter.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2006/31442-WC_Preassign_Emily.jpg

And here is my most recent drawing from Class 33. A drawing of my Grandpop.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2006/31442-WC_L33_Grandpop_Final.jpg

Thanks to all of the teachers, subbies and classmates. I am thrilled with my progress so far. :)

Fozbot
05-16-2006, 11:51 PM
Oh man, Stacy... your Grandpop turned out fantastic!!!:clap: :thumbsup:

Anita Murphy
05-17-2006, 07:20 AM
Stacy! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Reinhard1
05-17-2006, 07:38 AM
Stacy, please add these to the already existing lineup of clappies: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

sultry
05-17-2006, 03:20 PM
:thumbsup: Stacy!!! OMG!!!! Way To Go!!! :thumbsup:
You nailed the resemblance to a T and such depth in the values gf. :) Your posting this loving portrait shows so much more detail.

It is so neat to see all the 101ers development through out the classes.
I am still in admiration of how far so many have enhanced their drawing skills here.

I believe if anything, the course teaches the student to see what they draw in so many levels. Not only to see but to learn how to render what they see in lines, geo shapes and values. To know how to hold a drawing object and how much pressure to apply with it to achieve what they want.

JayD
05-17-2006, 03:35 PM
Staci--very nice--you can definitely see the improvement--at some point I would love to see you attempt your daughter again!

Robin Neudorfer
05-18-2006, 01:23 AM
Stacy!!! Incredible... I am so proud of you. What fun to see such a vast improvement. Don't stop now you are on a roll.

Fireman's kid
05-18-2006, 07:58 PM
Awww shucks. Thanks guys for your kind words. I wouldn't have improved without the help and support of each and every one of you. :heart:

Jay, my pre-class drawing was of my daughter Emily. When I make it to Class 34 I plan to use a reference of her twin sister Abigail. Trust me, you probably wouldn't know it was someone different if I didn't tell you. :lol:

But first I owe Robin a couple of perspective assignments. And I owe Cindy a cp daisy. And I want to participate in Mary's upcoming class. And...well you get the idea. One of the great and frustrating things about the 101 (and 102) curriculum is that I want to take every class. :D

Judi1957
05-18-2006, 09:11 PM
STACY,
Here's a big hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2006/37258-clapping_hands.gif
Fantastic!!!

stoney
05-18-2006, 11:36 PM
I believe if anything, the course teaches the student to see what they draw in so many levels. Not only to see but to learn how to render what they see in lines, geo shapes and values. To know how to hold a drawing object and how much pressure to apply with it to achieve what they want.

The teacher teaches the student and the student teaches the teacher.

sultry
05-19-2006, 10:59 PM
We all need other eyes to see what we do not see. Teacher, student and even others may see the one thing that is needed to enhance the likeness. I for one sit in front of my work and do not see what is needed to fix it, till I am told by someone else or clear my mind and walk away from it and come back with fresh eyes to see if I have a resemblence or not.

zardoz
05-21-2006, 07:53 PM
after being here at wc for some time I finaly found my way here and i Have to say this is one of the best invatations to join in tHat I've seen. when time permits I hope to follow a few of the classes because to tell the truth my drawing skills are terrible and I need all the help I can get .

Robin Neudorfer
05-21-2006, 08:51 PM
zardoz - Welcome to The Classroom. It does make you want to jump in and play doesn't it. You won't regret it. A great group and I guarantee that your drawing skills will not be terrible after making your way through the lessons. Join in you can't miss with this group.

Anita Murphy
05-21-2006, 09:01 PM
Hi Zardoz! We've met in the chat room!! Welcome to D&S! Hope you enjoy the classes!

sultry
05-22-2006, 11:25 AM
Hi Zardoz welcome to opening up your eyes to seeing over the horizons and astonishing them to what your hands will render for you.:wave:

zardoz
05-24-2006, 12:18 PM
thanks for the welcome . I remember present . my biggest problem now is time . but I wil join in as soon as I can .I know it can only help the other things that i try to do

MamasanNC
01-21-2007, 11:03 PM
Hi all,

I'm posting REALLY late since the last post was in the first half of last year. I've been a lurking member of WC for a l-o-n-g time. I'm very intimidated by all the talent in this group.

I've never had any kind of art lessons except for what one gets in school. I loved to draw in school but I had a really bad teacher in fifth grade and I don't really remember trying to draw after that.

After much reading I've come to realize that drawing is a skill, and like any other skill can be learned. I'm just having trouble getting past all the bad art I know I will have to produce to find the skill.

Last month I passed my blackbelt test in Aikido, a Japanese martial art, it was a lot of fun. I remember the first blackbelt test I watched shortly after I started Aikido, it all looked the same to me and I didn't understand how anyone could tell the techniques apart, or that I would ever be able to do that. Now I can't imagine my life with out Aikido.

This forum feels a little like that to me, I'm so impressed by the beautiful work everyone seems to do, I don't know how I can ever do that.

Guess it is time to swallow my pride, pick up a pencil, turn to the predrawing lesson and draw. Beginners mind.

Lisa S-R
aka MamaSanNC

P.S. maybe I'll even get up the nerve to post a sample.

jmfletch
01-24-2007, 02:52 PM
Welcome Mamasan!!!!

Jump in with both feet!! This is the friendlest most helpful art environment you will find any where!! If you think your work is not worth posting go look at a lot of our first attempts in the earlly 101 lessons.

And it is never too late to start. The guides. moderators, guest instructors and just plain folk will jump in and help.
Joe

Janby
03-20-2007, 06:23 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2007/90110-Dad_2003.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=354372&d=1174218681
These are my before and after WC drawings I posted recently in D&S as "Then and now"

The first "portrait" was done in 2003, the second, last december. I didn't do much drawing for a loooong time, but last year decided to try again. I improved somewhat with the help of books, but until joining WC last september, I would never have dreamt that I could draw this well. With the help and advise of other WC'ers, it's amazing what you can achieve.

My skills are improving all the time, so no matter what your drawing level is, don't ever be afraid to post. The WC'ers will guide you gently to your goal, it is reachable. :thumbsup:

kennychaffin
03-20-2007, 06:32 AM

SO

Totally off topic, but man, do I empathize with that!!! Particularly with my third kid starting college in the fall. :eek:

KAC

kennychaffin
03-20-2007, 06:36 AM
Hi everyone and thank you Sukts for the invite. I have been drawing most of my life, I stopped only when the boys were growing up. Below is a small timeline of my pencil work.

This first group was before joining WC

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Mar-2005/18835-1968-2000.jpg

This group is after I joined WC, I learned about drawing paper, pencils and good techniques from the artist here, my drawing skills increased greatly!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Mar-2005/18835-2003-04.jpg

The next are some from over the past 2 years… I spent much time at Artpapa learning from the artist there, many of them post here too.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Mar-2005/18835-2004.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Mar-2005/18835-2005.jpg

I continue to learn with each new piece and feel this artistic journey has no end in sight, and quite honestly I wouldn’t have it any other way! So you lurkers start to post and comment today, you have nothing to loss and everything to gain when it comes to drawing!
~Linda

Amazing progression! This definitely shows the progress that can be made when one applies themselves. I do have a question though, Linda how much time per day (average) do you think you spend drawing? Has it changed over the years or been pretty steady?

KAC

kennychaffin
03-20-2007, 07:16 AM
Well, I discovered this thread from a more recent link and thought I'd throw my 2 cents or two pics in the mix. It's very inspiring to see the progress that can be made when one applies themselves. I hope mine demonstrate the same. I've included a couple from 1998 when I had gotten back into drawing after many decades of not much of anything artistic, followed by a couple of recent ones.

From 1998:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Mar-2007/82568-IMG_7860AS.jpg
and
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Mar-2007/82568-prev16.jpg

from 2006/2007:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Mar-2007/82568-prev31.jpg

(this was my first attempt at using charcoal for the background)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Mar-2007/82568-prev35.jpg

(I should have used charcoal here as well)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Mar-2007/82568-prev38.jpg

At least I hope I'm improving...
You can see more examples on my website/art page where they are pretty much arranged in chronological order.
http://www.kacweb.com/art/previmg.html

KAC

stoney
03-20-2007, 09:23 PM
Totally off topic, but man, do I empathize with that!!! Particularly with my third kid starting college in the fall. :eek:

KAC

Some states allow high schoolers to take college classes for reduced fees up to 'x' number of credits per term. In Oregon, for example, tuition is 25 USD/credit for a maximum of 8 credits. Those credits apply both for high school as well as college.

sultry
03-21-2007, 04:43 PM
Great to see your posts Jan & Ken they show such recognizable improvement.
MamaSanNC, (Lisa) we are still awaiting to see your work, please do start posting :)

Gordon's art
04-02-2007, 07:49 PM
I did post this as a thread in the main forum but found out that you started this thread on here so following advice from JAN (thanks JAN)I am now posting them here with a slight alteration to the files i am downloading the first file was done in 2004 and after a short break from drawing until 2006 ( was painting a lot of wildlife during this time) started to take up drawing again but wanted to improve my standard of drawing so read the class 101 and 102 and feel that they have helped me get better and better although i am still learning i am more satisfied with the results i am achieving now the second file is the later one and is the last drawing that i have done to date and has been posted on the main drawing forum

stoney
04-02-2007, 08:38 PM
Well, I discovered this thread from a more recent link and thought I'd throw my 2 cents or two pics in the mix. It's very inspiring to see the progress that can be made when one applies themselves. I hope mine demonstrate the same. I've included a couple from 1998 when I had gotten back into drawing after many decades of not much of anything artistic, followed by a couple of recent ones.

KAC

Hefty improvement!
Cheers.

kennychaffin
04-02-2007, 08:59 PM
Hefty improvement!
Cheers.

Thanks Stony!

KAC

*snubble*
04-06-2007, 06:44 PM
Hi, I haven't been a member here very long and have only posted once (I'm one of the lurkers!) but love to read the forums. I've picked up a lot of excellent advice and am trying to put it into practise. I'd love to do the classes, but haven't started one yet - I need to find the time. I'd spend all day drawing if work and life in general didn't get in the way!
Anyway, here is the first picture I posted, done just before I joined WC and my latest which i've never posted and where I tried to go darker, take my time, use a greyscale ref and a million other things that have been suggested here.
Loving everyones work. I wish I could be half as good, but this thread shows just what practice can do!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2007/97375-web2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2007/97375-michael_small.jpg

stoney
04-06-2007, 07:38 PM
Hi, I haven't been a member here very long and have only posted once (I'm one of the lurkers!) but love to read the forums. I've picked up a lot of excellent advice and am trying to put it into practise. I'd love to do the classes, but haven't started one yet - I need to find the time. I'd spend all day drawing if work and life in general didn't get in the way!
Anyway, here is the first picture I posted, done just before I joined WC and my latest which i've never posted and where I tried to go darker, take my time, use a greyscale ref and a million other things that have been suggested here.
Loving everyones work. I wish I could be half as good, but this thread shows just what practice can do!

You're selling yourself short. I'd estimate you're 3/4ths as good and closing. That leaves you about 10 times ahead of me.
Cheers!

sultry
04-07-2007, 12:03 AM
Hey Gordon glad to see you posted on here and I can see your eye has really paid attention to light and shadow and a more detailed style. Great work keep it up.
Hello snubble Welcome to WC D/s and I like how your advance rendering shows not only darks but it also shows you have tones blended nicely. Hope to see you post more.

*snubble*
04-08-2007, 07:45 AM
Thanks Stoney, thanks Sultry - I'll definitely try to post more!

Gordon's art
04-08-2007, 04:46 PM
thanks SULTRY i will certainly try to keep on going

nancyl746
04-09-2007, 03:37 PM
HOLEY COW!!!!!!!!! If this is what the drawing lessons here on WC can do.... why would anyone spend a gazillion dolllars on art college. I just hope that with the lessons my drawiings will improve as much as you all.
Nanc

stoney
04-09-2007, 05:00 PM
HOLEY COW!!!!!!!!! If this is what the drawing lessons here on WC can do.... why would anyone spend a gazillion dolllars on art college. I just hope that with the lessons my drawiings will improve as much as you all.
Nanc

The lot here are quite encouraging and supportive. IMO, here you're not only getting 'pure pigment,' you're also working at your own pace and with things which interest you. And, yes, you're saving a 'gazillion dollars' from an 'art factory' and all the fluff and silly games [not to mention the mega loans and interest on the ballance owed].

Beware the toughest taskmaster you'll ever meet. Yourself.

sultry
04-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Hi Nancy, One thing I have found out is that you can improve if you have your goals set on it. You already have started a change in your art by joining the classes and you will not regret it.
lol, couldn't of said it better Stoney.

stoney
04-09-2007, 06:53 PM
Hi Nancy, One thing I have found out is that you can improve if you have your goals set on it. You already have started a change in your art by joining the classes and you will not regret it.
lol, couldn't of said it better Stoney.

;)

artsydoll
11-19-2007, 08:45 PM
just thought i would pop and say Hi, i have been browsing the wonderful drawings and thought i would post a couple of mine. i have been drawing only a couple of years...it comes relatively hard for me...i think in 3D and to put items on a 2D surface is hard!! lol anyway here are some recent drawings. thanks for looking! Kellyhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Nov-2007/83533-drawing_bat_and_racket_72.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Nov-2007/83533-drawing_racket_and_ball_72.jpg

stoney
11-20-2007, 01:42 AM
just thought i would pop and say Hi, i have been browsing the wonderful drawings and thought i would post a couple of mine. i have been drawing only a couple of years...it comes relatively hard for me...i think in 3D and to put items on a 2D surface is hard!! lol anyway here are some recent drawings. thanks for looking! Kellyhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Nov-2007/83533-drawing_bat_and_racket_72.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Nov-2007/83533-drawing_racket_and_ball_72.jpg

BRAVO! :wave:

LCoker
05-05-2009, 12:31 PM
:wave:Hi Sultz,
I feel so much better after reading your input on lurkers. I have just moved from that stage to beginner/submitter and your comments helped me get past wondering if I should have taken the jump! (last submitted some previous work in lesson 23 drawing fur)
Thank you for taking the time for your Lurker encouragement.:thumbsup:
Gmaw Linda

Daisylover
05-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Glad to know I can start the lessons even though I didn't get in on the beginning. :D I'm a newbie and just found them. And I can already see how helpful they will be!!! Can't wait to get started, I'm off to snatch up my sketchbook right now. :D :D

Thanks

olivares408
08-15-2009, 06:34 PM
I don't want to be a lurker, but I really am a beginner, but, I am going to jump right in..oh, what am I doing, remember, I know nothing,,at least, you don't have to untrain me,lol.
Linda
Really, I want to learn this so much, and I really thank you:)