PDA

View Full Version : Dawn

Even If It Rains
03-16-2005, 07:29 PM
It's 24 by 12 inches acrylic on MDF.
A little undercooked perhaps ? Not sure Arrgh! drives me mad. Gunna post it anway.

C&C or not or whatever as usual.

Matt

EDIT : slightly larger view
http://www.arbf55.dsl.pipex.com/dawn5.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Mar-2005/43521-dawn.jpg

d-head
03-16-2005, 07:51 PM
I think the timer went off. This looks plenty cooked to me. Vibrant stuff. Appreciate the use of light. Dawn would be pleased to look this lovely. Nice work.

MonicaB
03-16-2005, 08:01 PM
Wow. :D

it'sALLart
03-16-2005, 10:37 PM
mind if i do a digi-alteration without actually changing anything in the painting? c'mon, it won't hurt.

nowornever
03-16-2005, 11:34 PM
I love your color scheme. As for being undercooked, it seems to me that it might need a few more hard edges here and there. I wish I could tell you exactly where but my eye remains untrained.

MountainSong
03-17-2005, 12:05 AM
Take it out of the oven - It's cooked!

Dawn should always be so breath taking. :D

bestof
03-17-2005, 01:56 AM
DONT TOUCH IT. I';m just imagining if it was sixteen feet long. Oooh...

pearlgirl
03-17-2005, 02:50 AM
Evenif...I want this one. It emotes so strongly with me. The passionate, flaming colours either side of a barrier. The cool, calm blues on the peripheral.
Absolutely emoting.

Even If It Rains
03-17-2005, 06:19 AM
Thanks all.

mind if i do a digi-alteration without actually changing anything in the painting? c'mon, it won't hurt.

Nope, go ahead. You got me curious :)

d-head , yep I really love luminescence in paintings. Find it interesting how just paint can appear to emit light.

Thanks Monica, never had a 'wow' before :)

nowornever, I wish I knew too!

Mountainsong, love the new avatar :D Cooked ? Just hope it tastes alright :)

Bestof , I was thinking this kind of thing would of worked much better larger , hmm 16 feet !!??!

Peargirl , well I suppose thats the ultimate compliment thanks.

Matt

it'sALLart
03-17-2005, 08:19 AM
ok, i guess this didn't quite do what i was thinking, but sort of a space needle effect at dawn. it's an easy fix, ya just turn the painting back around to it's original position. :)

Tamana
03-17-2005, 08:29 AM
Wonderful colors.

FriendCarol
03-17-2005, 10:45 AM
I saw this yesterday, but didn't comment because the reflection effect (not reflecting) was... well, I didn't want to comment. So I like the 'space needle' reorientation because it addresses my... hesitation... at engaging with this. If upright was the original orientation, maybe you can make it work that way, just a bit better? I do like the colors and intensity and all the rest of it.

themanda
03-17-2005, 10:50 AM
you know carol, that was my exact reaction to it as well. :D how funny. i immediately wanted it to be a reflection, but it didn't work that way. then my mind shifted to seeing it is a protruding rock ledge, but that seemed very disturbing to me, as if it was, it was clearly over some sort of boiling magma or something and that made my stomach churn.

i like it better in the vertical, but now it seems to even on the canvas and almost vaginal in a way. dunno.

printzessofthenorth
03-17-2005, 12:21 PM
Matt

If you leave it in its current orientation, I want to see something small out on the very tip of that overhang. Perhaps a silhouette of a dawn watcher? If you reoriente it as to AllArts' suggestion then I think it is cooked. Either way, it is a magnificent piece! As someone else said: "passionate!"

debbieryder

Even If It Rains
03-17-2005, 05:53 PM
Sorry Had to laugh It'sAll , when I saw that. Was wondering what you would do, but sorry.. already been there , done that :D
Infact it started out that way, then turned it.
Reflections, space needles? Well It was more spiritual (I thought) not representational. That didn't come across maybe because of the photo or maybe it just doesn't.
Thanks all for you ideas and suggestions but not sure I'll do any more to it.

Took some better photo's in daylight , closer to the colours. Probably should of waited and not posted the others :(

larger..

http://www.arbf55.dsl.pipex.com/Dawnlarge.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2005/43521-dawn7.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2005/43521-dawnrote.jpg

it'sALLart
03-17-2005, 10:30 PM
In fact it started out that way, then turned it.

Aha!!! i just KNEW it... well, at least i'm not crazy. (well, not too crazy anyway...)

nowornever
03-18-2005, 12:48 AM
itsallart never ceases to amaze me with his eye. it's amazing how much the composition seems so much more at home when switched to a vertical orientation.
Jacob

ArtistJensen
03-18-2005, 07:41 AM
It's a great, beautiful piece but I like the vertical position better. The vertical composition is working much better and the space needle concept is more exciting.
I like your colorworks a lot.

printzessofthenorth
03-18-2005, 08:22 AM
I still think that the horizontal would balance fine if you put something or someone small out on the very tip of the overhang. In fact, it would be the less expected alternative and in that way might be the more exciting image.

Just my 2 cents

debbieryder

punkin026
03-18-2005, 11:00 AM
Damn that is nice! Three paintings in one! Just change the orientation depending on your moods. OutSTANDING!