PDA

View Full Version : Cut Studies

ZOTMA
12-11-2001, 03:40 PM
Messed around with the 'easy cut' blocks, I believe this was the speedball but I think there are a variety of brands out there now.
Each block was 4x6, I inked by brush not by roller to get unique color blends (one of the things I'd like to persue more).
Just studies;
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Dec-2001/face3smilesmall.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Dec-2001/face2screamsmall.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Dec-2001/face1bitesmall.jpg

Cabal
12-11-2001, 03:59 PM
i like this series you have going. makes me think of skin tissue as liquid lightning energy. this is wood right? not positive if that's the type of block you meant. anyway have you ever used a dremel? those things are amazing for getting detail. after i used a dremel i never thought of using one of those wretched wood scooping devices again!

ZOTMA
12-11-2001, 04:08 PM
patterning to attain a topographical effect, shading, and /or relating energy (liquid lightning...brilliant, thanks) is something that really intrigues me and I'd like to build on that. The face seemed like a good constant to start trying. This material I carved is a rubber synthetic material the Speedball company and some others are puting out for printing. It comes cut in blocks of varying sizes though it's easy to cleave the whole piece if a shape or different dimension is what you desire. Its easy enough to cut, it feels like cheating. Much easier than lino but then if you're used to that, your carves will shred the stuff.
I have a dremel that I use for jewelry making/metalsmithing. I have not yet used it for printmaking though the idea is outstanding. Do you have bit recommendations?

Cabal
12-11-2001, 05:13 PM
i'm not sure about the bit sizes... basically whatever size line your going for equal that to the smaller or bigger size bit you want. that's all i can't think of.
i haven't looked into it but theres' probably some wacko bit types that might provoke some interesting lines. if you're into metal smithing you might try constructing your own bits with unique tips.

colorme
12-12-2001, 03:41 PM
hi zotma:) i saw these on your website, the last one is my favorite, it's very indigenous.

ZOTMA
12-12-2001, 08:04 PM
Cabal;You're opening pandoras box in the potential creative bit realm. I fear I'd never paint again, get wrapped up in metallurgy (it's a seductress in its own rite). What a killer idea, and you know I now have to try.

Colorme; Yep, the stuff on my site is what I've got thus far and I've got a fresh block beggin and some etching in the near future. Yeah that one has a tribal look, eh? thanks.

Gisela
12-13-2001, 07:16 PM
This is a great series! Will there be more of these?

This stuff is so easy to cut -- it does feel like cheating (LOL), but I love the feel of the surface.

Gisela

sassybird
12-15-2001, 09:31 AM
Series are fun to do. I like the beginnings of this one, ZOTMA. I too have used a brush instead of a brayer to ink my blocks on occassion. You can get a nice painterly feel to a piece that way, and it gives you a nice varied edition in the end.

msue
01-11-2002, 12:49 AM
:clap: These are just too cool. So far all my lino-prints are very simple designs.

Tony Perrotta
01-11-2002, 06:57 PM
Hi Zotma, Very cool, I am looking foward to getting some lino and a cutting set tommorow. I think Blick sells that very soft material you are using?

Tony