PDA

View Full Version : unusual portrait colours

jackiesimmonds
03-14-2005, 11:50 AM
I went to a life class today, expecting to have a lovely young model to sketch, and I was looking forward to sinuous curves and had a slightly unconventional interpretation in my head, using charcoal and wash.

However, instead I got old geezer with large pot belly, plenty of curves but not the type I wanted to paint!

Then I discovered I had left my charcoal at home, but did have a small box of about a dozen hard pastels in rather strong colours, so decided to go with the flow, and tackle a sketchy portrait. It turned out to be kinda fun, and since I never normally do portraits, and usually tell the world that it is something I "cannot" do, it was a surprise that this one even captured the guy's likeness!
Since I am unlikely to do many more portraits, or frame any to show, I thought I'd share this one with you.
It was a good test of the fact that you can have fun with colours, you don't HAVE to be true to the colours you see before you.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Mar-2005/1805-portrait_of_sleeper.jpg

Bill Foehringer
03-14-2005, 12:06 PM
I think that is very good. Even without seeing the subject I can see that it is a 'likeness' and not just a general sketch of just any older guy. Bill

Dark_Shades
03-14-2005, 12:34 PM
I think you have done a wonderful job... and should do more...... love the colours :clap: - I think it shows you enjoyed this

Trilby
03-14-2005, 12:40 PM
Always something to learn from you Jackie.
TJ

Kristrotter
03-14-2005, 01:15 PM
This looks great Jackie! :clap: It looks like it was a lot of fun. Sometimes a lack of supplies is not necessarily limiting, but somehow frees us up to be more carefree I suppose. I wonder if your model also effects how "carefree" one feels?

I can't believe you tell the world you can't do portraits. I would love to see more from you!!! Thanks for sharing this one with us. I always look forward to your posts Jackie. Both your works of art, and your thoughts are always a pleasure and an honor! :)

K Taylor-Green
03-14-2005, 01:33 PM
YOU GO, GIRL!!! You inspire me to try one of those landscapes I say I "can't"
do!

meowmeow
03-14-2005, 03:15 PM
This is great, JAckie. You have certainly captured the "old geezer" look.
I know what you mean about going to these sessions and expecting a lovely lady and finding something like this. I have learned that these oldsters make for very interesting painting.

Sandy

Gilberte
03-14-2005, 03:20 PM
Perusing the new posts ........... glad I did !

This is great in its simplycity and directness !!!
A five star portrait !

Sherry Richardson
03-14-2005, 03:40 PM
Wow----such economy of strokes! I can't believe how much volume you created with so few strokes. I don't think you can say you don't do portraits anymore, this looks pretty darn good to me.

haridasa67
03-14-2005, 04:06 PM
With an old model of this age, I think it'll take lots of experience to get a true likeness due to the model having more texture & character, which isn't required to this extent in a younger model. Experience helps, isn't it Jackie?
Anoop

jackiesimmonds
03-14-2005, 05:28 PM
actually, in the same way that it is easier for an actor to play a distinct "character", my suspicion is that it is easier to draw a characterful face than a very smooth, young one with more subtle, regular features . I have found kids reallydifficult, for instance because their faces are so smooth and round. Craggy faces give you more to work with, more changes of plane and interesting droopy bits and nice angles!.

thanks everyone for your nice comments. Having done this one and rather enjoyed it, I would like to do more old faces.

Jackie

meowmeow
03-14-2005, 05:52 PM
I would like to do more old faces.
Then you would love the group I go with in the summer when I am in Maine. WE go weekly to an elderly housing complex and the residents sit for us! It's great. they are very characterful and the setting makes for nice interiors views if you want to add that. All in all it has been much more fun and intersting painting than I had expected. I'm looking forward to going back this summer.
You should hop over some Monday morning! :D

SAndy

t-sue
03-14-2005, 06:54 PM
I really like this, Jackie!!! One of the most pleasing things about it is the way you captured the ultimate softeness of his plump face... and with limited strokes and palette! :clap: Very cool, indeed!!!!! :clap:

Just please tell me one thing... promise me he was clothed????? eeeewe!!! :p :D :D :D

jackiesimmonds
03-15-2005, 02:42 AM
T-sue - he was naked. That's why I did a portrait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Jackie

t-sue
03-15-2005, 02:57 AM
I went to a life class today, expecting to have a lovely young model to sketch,..... However, instead I got old geezer with large pot belly, plenty of curves but not the type I wanted to paint!
T-sue - he was naked. That's why I did a portrait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh, No!!! :eek: :D :( The mind boggles at the thought!!! I may not be able to sleep tonight!!!! I'm laughing so hard (at 2:48 am!) that I just woke the dog up... she's quite concerned! :D How in the world am I supposed to be able to concentrate on my little pot of hydrangeas with the thought of a fully naked geezer frozen in my brain????? I was impressed with your piece before, but now, considering what was before you, I am REALLY impressed!!! :clap: Don't think I could have looked... at least not without giggling and being thrown out of class!!!! :D

jackiesimmonds
03-15-2005, 07:43 AM
I did glance below eye level at one point, and after that, had to force myself NOT to look below his shoulder line. One look was enough. He was completely unconcerned - legs spread wide open....... mmmmmmmm aaargh ooooer :( (Cringe). the view was considerably much less than beautiful. Now if it had been Tom Cruise.............

It crossed my mind that the very LAST thing I could ever do, at my age, is expose my less than perfect body to all and sundry to be stared at for hours, it is absolutely UNTHINKABLE. Like one of those awful dreams you never seem to wake up from!

Doing a portrait is the answer in these situations. You stare fixedly at someone's FACE, and you don't see anything else.

I am sorry to have been instrumental in disturbing your dog. What on earth are you doing at the computer at that time of night?

J

meowmeow
03-15-2005, 07:51 AM
:D The residents at the elder center we paint are all clothed! Rather interestingly sometimes too! Makes for fun painting...and I don't have to worry where my eyes wander!
Although I would imagine if it were your thing, these figures would be very interesting...but I agree about not being the least bit interesting in either posing or painting such a body! :D

Sandy

Deborah Secor
03-15-2005, 11:34 AM
Er...ah...um....oh, you had to ask that, didn't you?!!?? A really remarkable portrait. And decidedly not Tom Cruise... I admire you more and more, Jackie, as a painter and a lady. :o

Deborah

jackiesimmonds
03-15-2005, 12:32 PM
Er...ah...um....oh, you had to ask that, didn't you?!!?? A really remarkable portrait. And decidedly not Tom Cruise... I admire you more and more, Jackie, as a painter and a lady. :o

Deborah

Deborah, thank you for this, I am covered in confusion and embarrassment.

and given that I am an OAP now, it's probably just as well I am covered in SOMETHING.

!!
:)

Sandy, wish I could come sketch with you. I have rather caught a bug with this one, much to my own surprise. I wonder how my local old-age home would take to the idea ?

Charles Perera
03-15-2005, 07:03 PM
We always learn some thing new from Jackie's paintings ,whether it is a painting of a ballerina or a pot or a tree. I like that expert use of colour and special handling of the pastel. I was intrigued by that sort of dent on this man's forehead !

thankyou,
Charles

Kathryn Wilson
03-15-2005, 07:56 PM
I've always felt that the older human face presents more character than younger ones - love the colors you used in this.

Was he taking a nap? He looks like he is either concentrating real hard or trying hard not to look at anyone. LOL

You bravely mastered a difficult subject with dignity. :)

Kitty Wallis
03-15-2005, 09:27 PM
Fine portrait, Funny story, entertaining thread. Thanks, Jackie.

I think I hear a block breaking up. :)

Goobiemom
03-15-2005, 10:46 PM
Jackie...could this geezer open his eyes anymore, or was he dozing? This is too funny. I admire your enthusiasm and professionalism. I wonder what ever possessed him to pose in the first place! It's a nice portrait, to boot! It's surprising what you did with those colors! Very creative!

Judy

Meisie
03-16-2005, 12:30 AM
Great portrait....I'm kinda glad you forgot the charcoal :p

Meisie

jackiesimmonds
03-16-2005, 01:49 AM
Jackie...could this geezer open his eyes anymore, or was he dozing? This is too funny. I admire your enthusiasm and professionalism. I wonder what ever possessed him to pose in the first place! It's a nice portrait, to boot! It's surprising what you did with those colors! Very creative!

Judy

He was dozing. this was the third pose of the afternoon. He was fairly alert to begin with! However, I have to say, that even with his eyes open, he had a fascinating face, his eyes were lopsided. His profile was interestsing too.

I always worry about large models perched on small chairs, when they fall asleep....................

thanks for looking, everyone.

Meisie
03-16-2005, 03:05 AM
Ours used to regularly start snoring in sitting/lieing positions :)

Meisie

Trilby
03-16-2005, 11:38 AM
What a great start to my morning to catch up on this thread. Too funny! I do hope the old fellow isn't a member of WC and does pastels. Refreshing in this age of perfect body and face mania to have someone so unconcerned,however. Jackie, your strokes, the least for the most, the colors, the capture are all so great and inspiring.
TJ

Alachua Artist
03-16-2005, 12:03 PM
What a kick this thread is!

And by the way, the "unusual portrait colors" work just fine. After all, there are times in certain lighting that my blond hair looks green, and in sunlight, my husband's black hair turns a beautiful deep amber red. So yank out those hot colors and stroke away!

opps... is that improper to say in this situation?

t-sue
03-16-2005, 12:41 PM
Boy I missed a lot while I was gone yesterday!!! Yes, Deborah... I had to ask... just couldn't help myself!! :wink2: And the thought of that is still stuck in my head causing me fits of giggling at random moments!

I did glance below eye level at one point, and after that, had to force myself NOT to look below his shoulder line. One look was enough. He was completely unconcerned - legs spread wide open....... mmmmmmmm aaargh ooooer :( (Cringe). the view was considerably much less than beautiful. roflmoao!!!!! Perhaps that's why he was looking down?????
Now if it had been Tom Cruise.............
Now, I'm with you there Jackie!!
I am sorry to have been instrumental in disturbing your dog. What on earth are you doing at the computer at that time of night? The dog says all is forgiven that you and I woke her up... :D I was trying to do a small piece for my daughter-in-law for her bunko party prize and had to get it done that night to deliver to her yesterday morning. The paper had given up holding pastel about half way through so I had to start all over... it was a long night!!! It had gotten so late, and frustration and panic had set in, so I think I had gotten quite a case of the sillies!! Thanks for putting up with my sillyness... this portrait thread was instructive and so much fun to boot!!! But if you do one of his lap, I'm not lookin'!!!!! :D :D