PDA

View Full Version : Steel

jackddavis
12-11-2001, 01:58 PM
Steel is my medium......New user today and unsure of how everything works, but thought I'd get my feet wet and post some of my work. Suggestions are always welcome and will freely discuss what I do and how I do it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Dec-2001/hummin8a_sm.jpg

One of my favorite pieces

Hi! Glad you found us. :D I adjusted the size of your image so we can enjoy it without scrolling sideways. Please try to keep your images to a maximum of 500 pixels in any direction. Thanks. sandrafletcher

jhusel
12-11-2001, 02:17 PM
Welcome! Your work is very nice. I like your website too. Do you make alot of tools? I noticed your drywall dolly, pretty cool. I make some tools myself, it is a fun thing to do.

So do you cast metal as well?

Jason

sandge
12-11-2001, 02:49 PM
This is wonderful! I love the colours.

Go on - post your lovely autumn leave piece that you put in the new users forum here, too! :D

jackddavis
12-11-2001, 02:51 PM
No castings. At least not yet. All of my work, to date, has been cut from bars or sheets, formed by forging (hot or cold), polished, welded, colored (or not), etc.

tritium_pie
12-11-2001, 03:01 PM
I was starting to feel there just aren't enough 3-D type artists in WC! Whole lotta 2-D people here (and there's nothing wrong with 2-D!), but us 3-Ds need our fair representation too!

You work is lovely, by the way. I like the intrinsic contrast between the heaviness of steel, and the lightness of the subject matter; a flower, a leaf, and of course what could be lighter than a hummingbird? Nice!!

Welcome to WC!

Benjamin

jackddavis
12-11-2001, 03:06 PM
AS requested, here is the "Autumn Leaves" sconce along with it's companion pair of "Maple Leaf Sconces"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Dec-2001/pileleaves3croptn.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Dec-2001/sconcepr1tn.jpg

They are matched pair...the color differences seen here are just caused by different light conditions.

sandge
12-11-2001, 03:30 PM
Wonderful! Thanks! :D

I don't know anything about steel so I hope this isn't a dumb question ( :D ) but how do you get the different colours?

jackddavis
12-11-2001, 03:42 PM
It's all done with heat, Sandra. First I polish the steel with a die grinder or sander or Dremel to get the texture I want, then with a Acetylene/Oxygen torch, I carefully and slowly heat the piece until colors begin to appear. As it reaches the colors I'm happy with, I cool it it air. Actually the colors change with differing light conditions. Here is a closeup of one of the Maple Leaf Sconces.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Dec-2001/sconcecolor1tn.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Dec-2001/sconcecolor2tn.jpg

This shows the same sconce in the same light, but at different angles.

diane555
12-11-2001, 03:51 PM
WELCOME WELCOME to WC jackddavis!!! The more sculptors the better! Your work is absolutely beautiful. I have always been envious of those working in steel & stone. :D but I'll stick to clay for now. How long have you been doing this kind of work? What kind of steel is this...I mean is it treated to prevent rusting, thickness? If you heat too long will you lose some of the beautiful color? Think I heard that before.

Just a note: in the future you might want to start a new thread for each different piece of art you post so we don't confuse you :D by asking a lot of questions about more than one thing in same thread. Happy to have you join us. Can't wait to see more of your work.

Di :)

jackddavis
12-11-2001, 04:05 PM
Yes...Too much heat and it all turns blue then black with scale.....You have to be quick when it starts turning colors. :(

I then coat with clear finish to prevent tarnish, oxidation. These are for use indoors only. I also do outdoor garden art and wrought iron which can be viewed on my web site. Arbors, gates, and other stuff. :)

Thanks for the tip.

jackddavis
12-11-2001, 04:20 PM
Forgot to answer the questions about thickness.....I use mostly 11 ga. (1/8") thick and heavier. All of the leaves are of 11 ga. sheet. Occasionally, I'll slip in a piece of 14 ga. (slightly thinner).

mebucko
12-11-2001, 05:27 PM
I step out of the room for 5 minutes and all heck breaks loose!:D Welcome Jack! Really nice stuff you have there. I'll have to go to your site to see what you have. I've always wished that I could do metal something, but I don't have the room now.
Really intresting stuff though!
Glad to see you here!
Also, what Di kind'a meant too (I think:)) by making another thread is, some people have slower modems and if there is too many images on one page it slows it down considerably. It's just one of those things that we had to learn too!:D You can reply to the same thread as many times as you want, but when there's a new picture involved, it does work out better for the dial-up folks. :D
Is that right Di? I don't want to step on your toes here!:D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2001/ranbucko-2.gif

Jack, I went to your site, but I couldn't get anything to work, nothing comes up, is there a secret to this? :D I'm using Netscape... sometimes that's the culprit...

Yielding
12-11-2001, 06:43 PM
Welcome Jack, gald to see ya. I have a cable connection so it does not matter to me about he pics.... (darn it my connection just went bad - thats what you get for bragging) :(

Nice work, will check out your site later tonight.

max nelson
12-11-2001, 07:28 PM
Jack..welcome to WC and especially welcome to the sculpture forum. Like Bucco, turned away for a minute and you rode in like a banshee outta nowhere. Great stuff..and you must be 'teched a little n de hed' to work in such a difficult medium. You'll fit in nicely here.:D
Max

animal
12-11-2001, 07:48 PM
Awesome Work Jack!!! :D:clap:

jhusel
12-11-2001, 10:54 PM
Hey Look!!! It is Animal!! I have seen you over here in a while. You should come around more often. You were the first person to say hello to me when I first came over here. Good to see you again.

Jason

impetuous
12-11-2001, 11:21 PM
Hi Jack:) Welcome to WetCanvas, you're going to love this place, have to warn you that it's very addictive though!
Beautiful pieces, I love the way that they pick up different colours. Looking forward to seeing some more of your work!

diane555
12-12-2001, 09:39 AM
Hi again Jack

I just had to stop back in here for another look at your leaves. Leaves are one of my all-time favorite things in the world!!! So I am especially enjoying this work you do. When I first started wood carving years ago I did nothing but these big maple leaves for ages! They look so much prettier in this medium tho.

Randy, uh er Bucco???heheheheh. Yes, that is kind of what I meant but what I was really trying to say in my 'not so subtle' way is that the sculpture forum needs all the posts it can get! So if you start a new one for each different item, we get more more more, which makes me happy happy happy :p

Thanks again for sharing jack,
Di