View Full Version : Basic 101:Class 15 - Fantasy and Imagination

Pages : [1] 2

JayD
03-14-2005, 12:01 AM
Basic 101: Class 15
Fantasy and Imagination
Or
Where Are You, Mr. Kitty Fantastico?

I had a really strange dream the other night. I dreamt that I was living in a small apartment like the one I had in college and was late for work so I grabbed the briefcase and went to work, late of course, and when I got there I could not remember the name of the company that I worked for so I rushed up the stairs that were in the building and when I got to the top, I looked down at my feet and discovered that I was barefoot. Instinctively I opened my briefcase and a ton of umbrellas came tumbling out and the only shoes in the briefcase were calico colored bunny shoes.

So I sat down on the floor and proceeded to put on the shoes. While putting on the shoes, I glanced to the side and noticed a Man, a little girl and a cat sitting next to me. The people did not speak to me or even acknowledge that I even existed but suddenly, the cat looked at me with an almost strangely grandmotherly look and started speaking…….

Darn it! I woke up!

Not being deterred, I immediately entered this in my dream journal which I had been keeping sine I was 16.

I use the dream journal as a source from ideas for everything from business to art—it also makes great reading.

Imagination.

There is no natural instinct for imagination. You all have it but like drawing now everyone knows how to exploit. When you have an idea that presents a solution you have used your imagination. When you invent something or write something as simple as a letter, you are using your imagination. Your imagination is tuned to the world around you and that is what you should learn to exploit.;

To exploit your imagination consider doing the following:

1. Keep a dream journal

2. Doodle

3. Keep a diary

4. Meditate

5. Take a shower and just let your mind float free.
5. Lay in your bed at night and go through your entire next day as if it were really happening.

When painting or drawing you can do a number of things. Your imagination is controlled by

1. Your racial culture

2. Your religious beliefs

3. Your family history

4. Your health

5. The people around you

6. Your education

7. Your economic conditions.

You just have to know how to look. Doing the exercises above will help you and I strongly recommend that you try them all. Mostly, do not THINK—imagination is a reflex.

JayD
03-14-2005, 12:04 AM
Here is the demo—my comments, as usual, are on the photos.

JayD
03-14-2005, 12:06 AM
Here is part 2

JayD
03-14-2005, 12:07 AM
Your assignments:

1. Imagination Exercise. Using the Encounter Drawing (the demo drawing)—tell me what this drawing is about. You don’t have to be fancy—just say what you think it is about—use your imagination and give the image a life.

2. Drawing—create your own fantasy piece. You may use any and all elements at your disposal. You are NOT limited to just nudes—do ANYTHING that you want as long as it comes FROM your mind’s eye.

Bonnie will be gracing us again this week as our Fantasy Expert and will be ON hand to lend you A hand. Please take advantage of her expertise. Bonnie draws from her own personal life experiences and translates them into the beautiful images that you have see posted here on the forum.

The Field Trip.

Instead of the featured field trip this week. I want you ALL to spend time in the Fantasy Forum and see what other artists are doing. Feel free to comment and ask questions.

In short: HAVE FUN!!!!--Jay

SILKNSATIN
03-14-2005, 12:28 AM
JayD very good and very interesting :clap: :clap:
So you had an idea of a goddess gazing into the eyes of a fire dragon :D
It all came together beautiful and love the way you placed the darks.
Well I did a hardbody fairy awhile back and deirdre asked where's the hardbody male fairy?lol.Well figured this was a good time to make him.
When I first started drawing him I was going to have him with a fireball in his hand,but something just didn't feel right about it.So I figured a nice little big eyed character in his hand would look more pleasently.I didn't mess with doodling the form on the scans,I just drew the form the way I wanted then darkened the lines I wanted to stay.This is more or less just a simple drawing and not much detail or deep shades and blends put into it.If you close your eyes you can see things just like seeing them with your eyes opened.So here goes. :D

sultry
03-14-2005, 12:51 AM
Great Demo Jay and my background being hispanic & native american, I believe in the soul & spirit of things. This has always caused me to see things in people and in the environments around me, in a different light then others would. I tend to read people's nature and their aurora by how their work talks to me, or how their personality is. Because of this, I see them sometimes, decked out in wings or claws or up in the clouds or deep in the sea. lol
Anyways, I think your beautiful fantasy looks Oriental to me, as I told you in the fantasy forum.
Story of what I see is this...
A beautiful girl is trying to find her strength in life by facing the Dragon of Fear that has always held her back from doing the things she always wanted to but was afraid to. I see her facing it and becoming braver and stronger and able to reach her goals that will enrich her life. :cat:
Great Male Fairy Bon :)

JayD
03-14-2005, 06:08 AM
As soon as everyone gets their intrpretations of the picture in, I will tell you al what I had in mind when I drew this but WOW! both are angles that I never would have considered Bon and Sultry! VERY imaginative.

Bon: HARDBODIED Fairy--probably not a good idea for him to show up her in the South! :D Are you influence by Japanese Manga? Those wing are staight out of that style and beautifully done. Also, I see you have a Hamlet thing going on there as well. VERY niced! :clap: :clap: :clap:

mothsailor
03-14-2005, 07:33 AM
Great drawing, JayD! Thanks for yet another wonderful demo. :clap: :clap:

The lady and the dragon seem to be looking at each other with loving expressions, so it reminded me of the sort of stories I used to tell Sarah when she was younger.

Everyone is scared of the dragon, but actually he is a gentle, lonely creature. Because the townspeople hate him so much, the dragon is forced to live in hiding in the mountains. One day, a beautiful young woman is attempting the hazardous journey through the mountains in order to find the wise old woman who lives on the other side. She hopes the woman will be able to help her cure her young child who is dangerously ill. Unfortunately, the young woman slips and falls during her journey. The dragon finds her unconscious, and takes her back to his lair. There he nurses her back to health, and she realises that he is not a frightening, fierce creature after all. When she is strong enough, the dragon helps the woman to reach her goal, and she returns home with a powerful, magic remedy just in time to save her child. The dragon returns to the mountains, thinking sadly that he will never see the beautiful woman again, but she has fallen in love with him, and returns to the mountains to seek him out. As she gazes into his eyes (that is the moment captured in the drawing), the spell that had turned him into a dragon is broken, and he turns back into a handsome prince. And, of course, they live happily every after.

OK, so it's not very original! Best I can do!! :D

resgene
03-14-2005, 07:41 AM
I can't wait to catch up with the lessons but they are going to have to wait a few more weeks as I am taking a long awaited holiday :)

Anyways, here is my very first thought after looking at JayD's finished drawing "Encounter".

"She is new to this world of dragons and is not afraid of them or life, you could say she was a little naive in fact. The dragon faced with such an innocent is transfixed by her gentleness and doesn't move, just in case he scares her away."

SILKNSATIN
03-14-2005, 08:00 AM
No JayD i'm not influenced by japanese manga?lol.But thank you.Guess this drawing doesn't read much into it?.Maybe this one will?.
This one I was influenced by the belly dancer I did.Sorry no ref photos because they are from my imagination.I had a hard time trying to make her upper part of her body look twisted as though she was belly dancing :( .
Colored pencil.

JayD
03-14-2005, 08:20 AM
Bonnie, you should focus your superpowers into a story. Have you ever thought of tackling one of the stories from The Arabian Knights. You would have lots of fun with it.

Dave and Resgene--I like your takes on the what's happening in the picture. why is she naked?

Resgene, we miss you and hope you can hurry back to us. :wave:

mothsailor
03-14-2005, 08:42 AM
Dave and Resgene--I like your takes on the what's happening in the picture. why is she naked?

Yeah, I have to admit that the nakedness doesn't really fit in with my story! At least, not in the children's version...

SILKNSATIN
03-14-2005, 08:42 AM
From a single piece to a multi piece just a piece of can speak volumes.
I'm working on one now that sultry will be able to read very well ;)
One thing i'm working from the imagination.Not from piecing things i find together to make a story.But imagination is still from what you have seen or done and it gives you ideas to create.Thats where the imagination comes from.
JayD I don't think you think of dragons,nude goddesses lol so you had to piece an idea together.Whats in that imagination of yours wanting to create something?.Come on ;) brign it out. :D .You already started,you looked at something and got an idea and pieced it together to create it.Now look around you and get an idea but don't go searching for the pictures to create what you are thinking.Just let go and let your hands and mind do the walking.
Wow dave good imagination reading geesh lol

resgene
03-14-2005, 09:10 AM
Thanks JayD. She could be naked because she was born that way - she has not yet suffered the world so chooses to be this way as she knows no other way to be.

Bon - I love your work, it is very imaginative and well crafted.

sultry
03-14-2005, 09:35 AM
Hey Dave I like the story but it does not have to mean nakedness in physical sense it can mean nakedness in lost sense as in she lost everything being lost and almost dying (till the dragon nurses her back, she is clothed when he turns into the handsome Prince & then she has everything that she ever needed). :wink2:
Shelly I like yours too :wink2:
Jay very cute bug man :D
Ohhhh Bon she is beautiful
I'm working on one now that sultry will be able to read very well
You know why I can read things? I just never grew up, I refuse to. :)

JayD
03-14-2005, 09:45 AM
Bon, I have been writing stories since I was a kid--the very first short story that I ever wrote was a tome about the lost continent of Mu. It was a dreadfully written 90 page sword and sorcery. I have had a low budget musical produced and several plays before I left theatre for a more sane life. The last story I wrote recently was about a building inspector who discovers that the witch from Hansel and Gretal and her gingerbread house are hidden deep in a man's back yard.

Dragons and women--that's Nuttin! LOL :D

Mad umbrellas, boys stealing out at night to see the witches on walker mountain, an man's lost soul because of his sacrifice of eating the sins of others, a shape shifting sheltie--imagination.

I had the story before I drew the picture. Rest Assured. MY daughter has me working on illustrations of her book in progress and believe me--more of the same.

idcrisis55
03-14-2005, 10:06 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

My take on your demo Jay which is just great BTW, is that the woman and the dragon are sitting there discussing these humans wondering what this world is coming to. Wanting to share with the world there peaceful co-existence but knowing the world isn't ready for a fairy or a dragon even though it could benefit by knowing them lol.

Bon, I liked your form even lol, the way you start and work your drawings. Great belly dancer!

Ann

SILKNSATIN
03-14-2005, 10:07 AM
Yes I know you had the story before you drew the picture.Wow all them stories and you not bring them to life?your an artist and they would be awesome.
Using (fantasy)the word is just a way to get you to use whats in your mind not a flower sitting on your back porch but that beautiful flower that is stored in your mind that you seen on that porch but it's totally different,rare,beautiful and none of it's kind.Bring it to life.Make your own creation. :wave:

SILKNSATIN
03-14-2005, 10:27 AM
Ya i'm throwing them in left and right here lol

mothsailor
03-14-2005, 10:32 AM
Bon, are you drawing all these great pictures as we go along, or are you pulling them out of your collection to show us? If it's the former, please tell us how you work so fast!! :)

SILKNSATIN
03-14-2005, 10:51 AM
Drew the first two before we started.The last one Just got done drawing.Started on it last night for about an hour then almost an hour this morning even before my coffee lol

mothsailor
03-14-2005, 10:54 AM
Wow! You can draw before coffee!! I have trouble making coffee before coffee!!

cmwynn
03-14-2005, 11:39 AM
There IS no world before coffee! I'll try, but the problem with my imagination is that it is too restless. I can think of lots of interesting things, but then something else pops up and I can't remember the first. I don't even try to paint or draw without a reference, since the picture in my mind shifts before I get anything down on paper. Interesting demo and lovely drawings, Bon.

Deb Leger
03-14-2005, 12:18 PM
Wow! this class is going to be fun! Can't wait to see more results! Great demo Jay and wow Bon, can you ever draw fast!!! You must have lightening fingers for sure!

Ann and CJ, I'll have the pdf done tonight and send it off to you both.

Bon, I had asked last class if you minded if I put some of your helpful words of wisdom into a pdf file. They're just files for the class members here to keep so they have the notes in file form. Is that okay with you?

I just came home for a fast lunch and need to go back now, but I'll be thinking of some ideas for this lesson.

Deb

SILKNSATIN
03-14-2005, 01:10 PM
Deb i don't know how helpful they are but you can sue anything I say :D

Judi1957
03-14-2005, 06:28 PM
Dah, no imaginination here, but I'll try.

She is leaving the world of superficialness and materialism, tired of judgements for what she and/or others have or don't have, who they are or who they are not. Going naked into a place, hoping to be accepted there in the strange new world for who she is.

Sorry, it's the best I can do. :rolleyes:

SILKNSATIN
03-14-2005, 08:08 PM
Well here goes.First I may not be doing my work by the book.Never read no books lol.I'm self taught,my passion has always been fantasy art mainly creatures and females.I dunno why?.I'm more shocked that I have been asked by others to do a demo.I've been asked before.I feel kinda silly and not worthy of doing it but I have no schooling when it comes to art and in here so many have and still are taking art classes.But I guess I don't mind but I would not like C&C how I do my own work from my imagination unless it's to hiddiess lol.Well Most times I do do a scribble or sratchy lines to get what form im thinking of.When I get the pose down close to what I want then I shape it up.After wrads I took a grey colored pencil and went over the form.I did this so I can erase all the graphite so when I apply my colors they won't smear from the graphite.I than draw out all my detail but not the background.I don't have no idea what I was going to do for background yet.Then I start using my dark colors first,for outlining and deep shaded parts on the skin.Then I go to the wongs,clothing and use the darker colors which I chose.After I colored my piece all in I decide to make a very dark background but give it a dementional line background.Using my ruler I laid the lines then colored them then the final step laid the darkest color on.
I called her Tamika the lost hungry spiked vemonous creature left of her kind.
9x12
graphite,eraser,ruler,colored pencils.
Worked on it about 2hrs then had to leave.Came back put another hour into it,Came back and just finished it up,it took me about 35 minutes,So all togther about 3 hours and 35 minutes.
Was asked for a demo over in figure forum so I did this and brang it over here.

SILKNSATIN
03-14-2005, 08:10 PM

Judi1957
03-14-2005, 08:28 PM
Wow Bon, :clap: :clap: It is a compliment that she is a bit scary looking. Are any of your creations from dreams? I just cannot fathom how you come up with this stuff :envy: :envy:
I started one and it looked like a JC Penney lingerie ad. LOL

Not worthy? LOL. You are doing so wonderful!

Hey JayD :wave: Where did Gomer go? :(

jmfletch
03-14-2005, 08:31 PM
Silk - your stuff is awesome!

JayD...Well there is this young virgin who is climbing up into the dragon's lair to sacrifice herself to save her nation. She goes happily and willingly to help her people.

Back to last weeks work....

Joe

Cathie Jones
03-14-2005, 09:19 PM
:clap: :clap: Go Bon!!!! Beautiful, scary stuff!!! :clap: :clap:

FIELD TRIP:
Speaking of fantasy and imagination, I got these pictures (http://www.americanrag.com/sand_sculptures.htm) by e-mail today. The link is just to a page on my web site that I'll keep up until this lesson is over. There's some fantastic stuff!

So far I'm thinking this will be fun, but I haven't tried to draw anything yet so my opinion may change! Maybe I'll do a Hillberry and take 90 hours to draw the fantasy . . . NOT!

JayD, I see your fantasy drawing more as a young girl who sneaks out of the house at night to see her 'pet' dragon. I think it's because there's no fear in her face . . . she knows this guy. Something like "Puff the Magic Dragon" without clothes!

Deb Leger
03-14-2005, 11:08 PM
Ann, CJ and Jay,

I've just mailed off to each of you the pdf for this lesson! Hope it goes through okay - it's kind of large with all the pics! :D

Assignment number 1 - my take on Jay's drawing:

She tried to warn him! But did he listen? Just like all the other adventurers who made their way to her island, he was certain he could conquer The Spell. She would warn them, as she did him, but their one-tract minds would usually be too busy oggling her naked human form to hear how they'd be turned into a dragon, lickety-split, if they touched her. And just like all those others, he was now trapped in his new-found reptilian beauty.

The legend of the Komodo Dragons had spread far and wide and there wasn't a week that would go by without another brave soul trying to rescue her from her so-called imprisonment. She knew that the real reason they all made their way here was the part of the legend that mentioned the sacks and sacks of gold awaiting the man who could free her from the spell cast upon her by the Wicked Witch of Komodo. (Who in tarnation had inserted the clause about the gold anyways??? she often wondered. If she ever found out, she'd heat them up good with a bolt of lightening from her bo-staff. Years ago, she'd started those tales in the hopes that she'd be left in peace. Talk about a plan back-firing! She did not need, nor want, any mortal rescuing!!)

She thought back to the days of old, thousands of years ago, when she was able to wander her island at whim. No one to bother her, no pesky adventurers always attempting to steal a kiss, a touch, or her gold, no dragons roaming around her sunning rock. She could, at any time of day, spread a fur blanket over the rock, lay down and just absorb the sun's rays or the star's dust. She refused to even bother with clothing, preferring to opt-out of that human need. (Unfortunately, this added much fuel to the legend.)

Of course, the visits from Zeus added so much spice to her days and usually increased the need for these sojourns on her rock, but that was a different story. One that never ceased to bring a contented smile to her face.

Nowadays, every time she laid down on her rock, a cool, dry nose was always poking around. The last time Zeus was here, he left in a royal fit of temper at the constant interruptions and threatened to stay away until she got rid of them.

But what to do with these sweet beings? With a sudden flash of inspiration, (or was that a lightening bolt from a still angry Zeus?) she knew how to solve her current dilemma! It was time for a clean-up! Time to send these dragons off to the many zoos of the world!

So, here she was, crouching on her rock, attempting to explain to the sweetest dragon of the island how much he'd love the Metro Toronto Zoo...........

Okay, okay, weird! - but it was on short notice! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Judi1957
03-15-2005, 05:49 AM
Deb, Wow, ha-ha, LOL :clap: :D :clap:
Great story!

JayD
03-15-2005, 07:00 AM
you all have seen very well and I love all of your versions of what is going on in the picture. I will explain:

The world turned.

At one time dragons, humans, elves, fairies, animals all communed together--in an eden--but the world turned and magic and extraordinary was overcome by an industrious and mundane way of life. The various species soon no longer had time for each other and eventually those who could not fit into the new world began to fade away.

Tal, the dragon was the last of his kind and he had retreated to the ruined temple of Vash in order to live out the remainder of his days. He had one pleasure left to him and that was the nightly visits by his closes friend a human, Shara. the two had grown up together played together and, of any no two were better friends.

But the world turned.

And the extraordinary went away. Tal, one of the extraordinary, and being a dragon soon began to leave as predjuces and fear against such creatures began to take shape. It was the final stench of industry that drove him to the ruined temple. Eventually, the world forgot about Tal and he grew old and Shara grew up.

Now they meet every night. Before she enters the temple, she sheds her clothes, bathes and visits him nude knowing that her civilization and its smell is offensive to her old friend. Tal faithfully lays out a bamboo mat for her each night so that she can be comfortable because THAT is what friends do for each other.

sultry
03-15-2005, 09:38 AM
Hi everyone :wave:
Hey Bon I loved the last demo, kind of how I feel b4 coffee lol, Oh & ty for the tips on how you do a cp drawing. I plan on doing my fantasy with cp.

Wow CJ, those are cool sand sculptures, My fav is the dragon & the lil boy.

Oh Deb I felt like I was reading one of my romance novels, you should be an author. I was disappointed because the story ended. :(

I like that story Jay, I think I would buy that book. :) That should be written on the back so I would know what it was about & that should be the cover illustration. :cat:

This is a very fun & motivating class I dreamed so many characters last night. lol

Oh, & I see you replaced Homer with a better face :cat: but where is Bailey????

SILKNSATIN
03-15-2005, 10:06 AM
JayD nice avater ;)
Love the story behind the drawing.You all had a good story on it.Wow was I lacking lol.
CJ love those pictures thank you for sharing with us. :wave:
You can work your fantasy piece anyway that makes you feel comfortable.Only reason why I said use what you have from within is to help you see your true talents come to life without any crutches,photos ect....It might not look so perfect because you had nothing to look at but the proudness comes from the fact you created from whats stored in your imagination from things that caught your eye at 1 time or another or dreams or lifes little moments :clap: .yes and the feeling would be more satisfying,more yours,more self pride.Even if this may be the only time you tried to create from a blank piece of paper.But it's up to you.Either way is fantastic and can't wait to see what everyone has done. :wave:

JayD
03-15-2005, 10:32 AM
CJ--I had this dream where I walked out of my house and looked out across the lawn an there were all these Shelties playing croquet. They were wearing the white Ice cream type suits and straw boaters. A few dressed as women were off the side sitting in white plastic lawn chairs around a white plast table sipping lemonade. Best dream I ever had.

Why dont you just try an illustration--do the tea party for example from Alice In Wonderland--dont copy--work it out in your head and then translate it to your own world. Just day dream and let your mind wander.

How About working from a title-just think up a title and imagine what it means--try this one:

Sam Sheltie and his Dixieland Hep Cats

You can do it!

SILKNSATIN
03-15-2005, 12:20 PM
JayD you are good at titles :wave:
Sorry ended up getting a commission this morning so ill be kinda slow the next few days.Ya Its of a baby and so I have to get as close to realism as I can. :( .but she'd look so cute with halo and wings teehee o no i'd better not lol

Judi1957
03-15-2005, 12:26 PM
Hey JayD,
Good story. :clap:
You and Deb should be storytellers. Love listening to them.

Hey Bon, Congrats on your baby commision, will be anxious to see. :D

furrtig
03-15-2005, 12:58 PM
Jay...

nothing fantasy about ur pic bubba... why in my younger days i saw this exact same scene many a time in the local singles bars.... :D

speakin of drinking until the dragons look good... reminds me of the old 75 year old gent who gets his best suit on, his fedora and new cane and goes into this dance hall bar, seated at the bar is an attractive 68 year old lady. The fellow sits down next to her and leans over says, "say.... do I come here often?"

bjcpaints
03-15-2005, 04:08 PM
CJ--I had this dream where I walked out of my house and looked out across the lawn an there were all these Shelties playing croquet. They were wearing the white Ice cream type suits and straw boaters. A few dressed as women were off the side sitting in white plastic lawn chairs around a white plast table sipping lemonade. Best dream I ever had.

This immediately reminded me of a dream I had last October. In the dream I was living in an old stone highrise that was falling apart. I was waiting for my husband to get back and people kept telling me that I HAD to vacate because the building was condemned and was being torn down. I finally came out to wait for my husband in the front yard and there were GIANT collies there - like a herd of cows. They were milling about like cows under the trees and you couldn't get them to move out of the way or anything. I told my daughter about this dream and she said "Gee, That's a pretty clear message Mom. You've been complaining about how huge the new puppy is and how allergic you are to her; how the house is falling apart and how you can't wait for Dad to finish the plans for the new house."

JayD, Maybe you should consult your daughter on the meanings of your dreams!
Barbara

furrtig
03-16-2005, 01:42 AM
well i figured since i made a stupid comment in this thread, out of respect for my main man Jay i'd best post a fantasy pic.... the pic is full body, but scanner is only so big..sigh. was in a rush so i sketched this rascal out in a hurry from my Marvel book.

JayD
03-16-2005, 07:04 AM
Hi, Furr--apparently looks like the Fantasy class is in danger of taking a major snooze. :D

HEY! That's Mel--the carpenter who built my deck! I am a big fan of the Avengers and Thor was always the coolest in my humble opinion. Nice Job and thanks for posting. Have you got the book How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way! It's a great tome to the Marvel way of drawing.

sultry
03-16-2005, 07:32 AM
Sorry for not posting as much Jay & Bon but I am working on the assignment for this class. I am just very slow, I cannot whip out creations as fast as others. I noticed this when Judi was doing her commission portraits (by the way the first one is posted in D/s and is very good she can get the likeness so well ). She can sketch a face in a few hours and it takes me days to get the likeness on my daughters portrait.
Barbara it is true dreams have meanings & sometimes people can decipher them that know you because of your actions and what you say. Jay you did say you like to stay home and your best friend is Bailey. Maybe you want to be in a world with only people who have Bailey's personality?
Hey Furr good to see ya here & liked your story. Also, wow your drawing is very good, I like the muscles and the foreshortening. When I first joined WC I remember you were drawing very simple characters, now you have the realistic ones down pat. Good Job :clap:
Congrats Bon I see you completed your commission & its a masterpiece (as usual). :cat:

furrtig
03-16-2005, 08:06 AM
jay,
no snoozin bro, its all great stuff. i have that book, in fact, thats where i got the ref pic from. ahhh, the delima, line art, not line art, line art, not line art.... whats a boy to do.

Deb Leger
03-16-2005, 08:30 AM
well i figured since i made a stupid comment in this thread, out of respect for my main man Jay i'd best post a fantasy pic.... the pic is full body, but scanner is only so big..sigh. was in a rush so i sketched this rascal out in a hurry from my Marvel book.

Hi Furrtig, I didn't think it was stupid - I thought it was cute but time has been so short for me in the past two days that I haven't had time to post. Sorry, Jay. :D

Hi Barbara, :wave: your daughter sounds very much down to earth!

Sultry, I know where you're coming from - it takes me hours and hours to draw something. And even longer to paint it! I'm a turtle and have come to accept and enjoy that. :evil:

Loved all the stories posted! It's great to see imagination moving so strongly. :D

Deb

sultry
03-16-2005, 11:53 AM
Deb, I am glad you accept that & you should since your work is beautiful.
Hey this is to all subbies & Jay, I am not feeling too well today, so if any of the other classes have work to look at could you please C&C them. I think my view of things are distorted with my nausiating headache. Thanks in advance. Rose posted in a prior class but I forget which #.

JayD
03-16-2005, 12:20 PM
Fur, if the forum was a dark and forboding closet--you would be the light bulb. Nothing ever completed is stupid.

furrtig
03-16-2005, 12:53 PM
heyyyyy im workin on my non deprication problem... i didnt say my Thor was stupid, but the comment i made in my post before it, about the silly joke. my thor... why he's fantastic.... :rolleyes:

Judi1957
03-16-2005, 12:57 PM
hey fur, I liked the joke! :D and Thor!

JayD
03-16-2005, 01:04 PM
Hey, Fur!

CLICK.....CLICK.....CLICK :wave:

bjcpaints
03-16-2005, 02:21 PM
Fur, You can see we really needed you in this class to balance it out! :D
Barbara

Fireman's kid
03-16-2005, 05:36 PM
Well, I finally had a chance to get to this thread and read it all. Actually I skipped one post - the one where JayD told the story of his drawing. I wanted to post a version before I read his. :angel: Trying to steal that teacher's pet label from Dave. :p

I was away last weekend so have been busy catching up this week. Have had to do all of those important things like buy food and wash clothes. Blech. And I still haven't done my male for Class 14. I'm going away again this weekend but I'll do my best to catch up.

Now...what kind of story can I come up with for a naked lady and a dragon...how about this...
When I look at the drawing I see the gaze between the two as a look of love. So I think she loves the dragon but wants to return to her family who is in trouble and needs her. The dragon took her clothes knowing that she was extremely modest and would not wander off without them. So this drawing represents the moment when she is professing her deep love to the dragon and begging him to return her clothes so she can go help her family. She is promising to return to him as soon as she is able. :rolleyes: Lame I know! But my husband is the story teller in our family. :)

I loved everyone else's stories! Some of you are writers as well as artists!

CJ - I also liked the pics of the sand sculptures. My favorite was of the guy getting his head squished! :D

Bon - Your drawings are fantastic. I am so impressed what you can draw using only your imagination as a reference. I agree with Judi that the CP lady was a little scary! :eek: I wouldn't want to get on her bad side.

Well, I have to go cook dinner. The troops are getting hungry. Hopefully I'll get time in the next day or so to get my imagination down on paper. I have some ideas percolating. :)

mothsailor
03-16-2005, 06:01 PM
Trying to steal that teacher's pet label from Dave. :p

Hands off my label!! :evil: :mad: :p

SILKNSATIN
03-16-2005, 06:28 PM
Boo :d

jmfletch
03-16-2005, 06:51 PM
I'm still trying to find time to finish last week's assignment but could not resist posting these here.

These pictures are a series I call Shaman's Dream Series 1. They are all images that I saw in shamanic style meditation whicc is also called journeying. (I also did a second series which are all Raven themed which were from vivid dreams.) These are the reason I am trying to improve my drawing skills. Almost everything I have done todate is from photos or magazines, but I really need to express the things I see when I meditate...and there ain't no photos of the places and images I often see.

I know there are no people and they are not recent... when I catch up I will try a fantasy figure.

Joe

FYI..They are all done in Prismacolor CP on Black Stonehenge paper. Images are about 12"x16".

SILKNSATIN
03-16-2005, 07:00 PM
Wow these are awesome. :clap: :clap:
My problem is I never used magazines or photos til I came to WC lol.But looking at things does help you improve to.
Can't wait to see more.
If you have a problem getting it from the mind to the hand when it comes to using your imagination.Just write down a little something of what you see,put it away,later do the same.Soon you can put all the pieces together.

JayD
03-16-2005, 07:24 PM
Jim, I just became one of yur biggest fans--prismacolor on stonehenge. They look wonderful...

You can count these of course--they are fantasy images that you created yourself.

jmfletch
03-16-2005, 07:52 PM
Silk - My problem is making it look as real as my vision and not looking like a comic book drawing, i.e. making it look real. Thanks for the kind words.

JayD - Thank you. I am humbled. You, and all the subbies, are true muses helping us to turn our efforts into art! Thanks one again for all your time and efforts.

Joe

aka Jim :evil:

SILKNSATIN
03-16-2005, 08:20 PM
I understand.I know what you mean about trying to get it to look just like in your vision.Don't think my visions have ever came 100% close to what I visioned but I still give it my all and still working to get better at making it possible.Nobody can help you in this task.You can only bring it to life for it is your vision.They might be able to give ya a little input in some details ect..

bjcpaints
03-16-2005, 08:22 PM
Joe,
I LOVE your horse cp picture. I am cp handicapped, as well as many other mediums, but you - you, have been hiding these from us. We are indeed impressed and happy you chose to share them here.
Barbara

Judi1957
03-16-2005, 08:27 PM
Hey Joe (Jim Bob), :D

Those are so fantastic! I love the bear one the most. Your work is always so wonderful!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Hey JayD, I am bowing out of the Class (Not Basic 101-just the class). I am not getting the fantasy thing. I have no imagination at all. I am doing a fantasy piece but they are 'pre-existing characters'-not from my mind. :( :( :(
Maybe at another time. :)

Oh CJ, Those are really awsome sand sculptures! :cool:

bjcpaints
03-16-2005, 08:33 PM
Judi,
You cannot bow out! I did Hercules and Lady Godiva for gosh sakes! They are prexisting characters and Jayd accepted them. You just get yourself together and give us some fantasy! Come on - you are too talented to have an excuse!
Barbara

g7i7n7a
03-16-2005, 08:35 PM
wow...
all I can say is wow!!
the most amazing( of all the amazing parts) is that all of you had interpretations that were beautifully and positively spirited, I applaud you all!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

gina

sultry
03-16-2005, 08:50 PM
Wow Joe those are so beautiful & you really achieved the dream like essence. :clap:
HUGS GiNa where have you been girl????? I sent you a pm along time ago but killed it cuz you never came on :( Glad to see you again. :)

Judi, fantasy can be anything girlfriend. You make beautiful graphite & cp paintings (gee look at your signature). I know your busy with the commissions and you can always come back and do something later for the class. Just make a Giant baby or Giant racoon with a birthday cake. :) Your Madonna is so exquisite. I am sure you can come back to the class at a later date with a fantasy masterpiece. Hey I am going to post in class 13 when I am inspired to do something for it. Jay has us all going at our own pace, so even if we skip a class, at least we can come back to it, when were ready to.
hugs gf,

Cathie Jones
03-16-2005, 10:30 PM
JayD and subbies, I hope you don't mind another Field Trip. I found a little tutorial on Wings (http://www.eclipseunleashed.com/tut/wings/wings.htm) in the Fantasy/SciFi forum. I'm still wandering around looking for inspiration.

Sults, I hope you feel better soon.

Judi, don't give up yet . . . we still have 4 days!

Fur, thank you for joining this one - you brighten my day!

Dave . . . :evil: :D

SILKNSATIN
03-16-2005, 10:53 PM
Sultss hope you feel better soon.Think it's making it's round to everyone.
Well I posted this in drawing but I figured I'd better get it in here lol.Was seeing all the fantasy work going on and I been in a fantasy mood since.It's mostly stoy's fault when he mentioned to me I should put a dragon on the weekly drawing thread of his lol.I was so tired of working on that piece I don't want to look at it again for a long time lol.I've had this image stuck in my head since yesterday and just couldn't stop myself from drawing it.
Just used 3B and 6B pencil on Bienfang drawing paper 9x12.

JayD
03-16-2005, 11:00 PM
Judi--I would like you to stay--no one really has an imagination in the strictest sence--it is a collection of ideas that come together. Remember that fantasy does not mean gods, dragons, naked chick--fantasy can be Miss Marple--fantasy can be a paper airplaine--anything you imagine is allowed no matter how MUNDANE you IMAGINE it to be.

First, dont worry about what the others are doing. This was a hard class for me because I contented myself with portraits.

Do you know that doodles count--they come from your imagination.

Here is a Judi specific excercise for you to attempt--also be a careful or as careless as you like--let yourself loose.

I owuld like you to draw a horse and then look at CJ's wing field trip and then add some wings. Very simple.

Remember when I said to draw on your culture or other cultures.

How about Hamlet hold dear Yorrick's skull

Lady MacBeth: Out! Out! Dam spot--as she fumbles with a jar of Oxyclean

Draw yourself as something that you wanted to be as a little girl.

Judi--you can do this:

EVERYBODY GIVE JUDI A BIG HUG OF ENCOURAGEMENT!!!!

furrtig
03-16-2005, 11:01 PM
dang bonn, u rock girl.

JayD
03-16-2005, 11:04 PM
Hey Sults--I meant to say earlier that I hope you are feeling better soon. You might get a kick out of this--I bought some 2mm COLORED drafting pencil lead to experiment only to find out that I don have 2mm technical pen--now i have to order them in order to complete the experiment.

Joe--jim--Julie--jan--Karniski--whatever--I think I have done that to you before. I will try to do better. :wink2:

JayD
03-16-2005, 11:08 PM
Gina, welcome back--are you going to be drawing with us!

HOW MANY TIMES HAVE A SAID THIS? WOULD YOU GUYS LIKE ANOTHER WEEK. I AM IN NO PARTICULAR HURRY AND I WOULD NOT MIND DOING ANOTHER DRAWING--I SURE BON COULD CRANK ANOTHER 57 IN THAT TIME. UP TO YOU GUYS--WOULD YOU LIKE ANOTHER WEEK?

Deb Leger
03-16-2005, 11:09 PM
Joe! Your cp pieces are awesome and just soooo beautiful! I've tried cp and just can't get the 'hang' of them. My son, Zach, does some beautiful things with them though. I just love the look of the cp's on a black surface like you've done! Wow! Can't wait to see some of the things you meditate...

Judi, a big hug of encouragement! Don't quit on this one! I like Jay's idea of a horse with wings! You can do this!

Bon, what a beautiful drawing! Makes me itchy, looking at that fingernail!! :D Great figure drawing - I love the way you do leg muscles!

CJ, thanks for the wings trip! I need wings for mine and have never done any.

Deb

SILKNSATIN
03-16-2005, 11:22 PM
57 LMAO :p

Deb Leger
03-16-2005, 11:25 PM
Gina, welcome back--are you going to be drawing with us!

HOW MANY TIMES HAVE A SAID THIS? WOULD YOU GUYS LIKE ANOTHER WEEK. I AM IN NO PARTICULAR HURRY AND I WOULD NOT MIND DOING ANOTHER DRAWING--I SURE BON COULD CRANK ANOTHER 57 IN THAT TIME. UP TO YOU GUYS--WOULD YOU LIKE ANOTHER WEEK?

Yes, I'd love another week! :D

But I'll go along with what everyone else decides! :wink2:

Deb

(The hunky little male fairy on my big toe will love the extra week, too!)

Cathie Jones
03-16-2005, 11:32 PM
Joe - I forgot last time to tell you how much I enjoyed your drawings. May I please go with you next time you travel to that place? I don't see anything like that when I meditate!!!! :clap:

Judi, I have a friend who was told that her aura needed to be fluffed. She passed that advice on to a few of her friends, and now I'm passing it on to you. Give it a try . . . might work. I think I'll try wings, too . . . seems to go with a fluffed aura! :D

The think I like about the wings tutorial is that it doesn't just show how to draw wings, it tells you how they're constructed. Very good information.

I have a friend (yep, another one) at work who carves and paints fish. When I showed him the koi painting he didn't just look, he studied it . . . and then told me how it was anatomically correct. Heck, I didn't know I should study fish anatomy before I painted one, but he did! I was just lucky. So now I appreciate actual construction information.

Okay, shutting up and going back to work . . . not drawing, but cleaning my midden so I can get some shelves, cupboards, bookcases . . . whatever, to get my artistic-type supplies off the floor.

Good night all. Sweet dreams . . .

mothsailor
03-17-2005, 04:37 AM
Judi, I sympathise with you...I'm finding it hard to get into this one. But I'm sure YOU can do it!

Judi1957
03-17-2005, 06:36 AM
GINA!!!!!
We have missed you, you just dropped out of site! Are you back with us? So good to hear from you!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks all for the encouragement. Just in a bad mood the past few days. Have commissions and car trouble and been a frettin about everything. Don't get in those moods often but view things negatively when trouble hits in mass if in a mood. :(
Thanks for the group hug! I needed that! :D
I was really liking my present fantasy. (The one I have on paper- :evil: )
I will finish that and give your idea a whirl JayD. Thanks. :)

Hey Bon-Amazing again! :clap: :clap: She should turn around-that would be a great backscratcher!
You have quite the flowing pencil! :envy: :envy:
What is LMAO? I have such trouble with some of the net message shorthand.

mothsailor
03-17-2005, 07:10 AM
What is LMAO? I have such trouble with some of the net message shorthand.

LMAO = Laughing My Arse (Ass in American, I suppose!) Off.

vasilkadifeli
03-17-2005, 08:15 AM
Judi, I sympathise with you...I'm finding it hard to get into this one. But I'm sure YOU can do it!

I am also watching from some distance too :D
but I appreciate the nice work done...

mothsailor
03-17-2005, 08:27 AM
Oh, and in answer to JayD's question, I'd prefer to push on rather than take another week on this class. But of course I'd be happy if others would prefer longer.

Cathie Jones
03-17-2005, 08:58 AM
I'm with Dave. Although I'd love to see another 57 of Bon's creations (that last one is positively GLORIOUS!) fantasy is not my cup of tea and I'd rather move on to something else . . . finished or not, we can always come back to this one to post later.

sultry
03-17-2005, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the well wishers
Yes, I'd love another week! I am working on mine I agree with Deb. :cat:

edited to add WIP. Ugh I am teaching myself cp so don't laugh.

Judi1957
03-17-2005, 12:55 PM
Hey Sults,
Looking good :clap: and I hope you are feeling better!
One bit of advice if I may: keep a very fine point, lines so close together you cannot see the paper (or teeny tiny circles), and use light/medium pressure with your pencil for the layers. I know you subscribed to Ann's site and you have the CP forum here as well. CP is a slow tedious process, but i love it!

Great fantasy pic...what's the story? :cat:

sultry
03-17-2005, 01:03 PM
Hey Judi,
Ty for the advice I do not know what I am doing lol. I will try to keep those prismas sharp. I think I started out with too heavy a hand tho. :(
Well you live & learn.
I will post my story with my completion of it but I invite you all to tell me a story about it :D I just love the imaginations you guys have. : :evil: :
I will tell you, I relate to the spirit of the puma. :cat:

Firstsister
03-17-2005, 03:39 PM
I've lurked here and there in the classes, so far, but have found this one particularly interesting because it's challenging me to use my imagination.

I know I have one....somewhere! LOL

Every once in a while, I get the urge to draw a fairy or a dragon or some other fantastical being - and I'll doodle something. But, it's usually one or two images - no scenes, no stories behind them, then I lose interest and move on.

It has been on my mind lately, that I really don't seem to use my imagination when I draw. I don't compose; I usually find a reference that interests me and I go at it. I know there's more, but I don't know how to tap it.

So, I thought I'd give it a go with this class. It was/is hard for me. First of all, I never really draw nudes, no reason why, it just never ocurred to me, although, I do love figure drawing. Secondly, the imagination thing...It just doesn't seem to come naturally to me.

So, I drew this nude woman and thought, "now what??" LOLOL I've added a couple of wild things - not very interesting, but I'm trying. LOL

It's nowhere near finished - I can't really say where it's going or how it will be finished, but here it is. DON'T LAUGH! LOL

As always, C&C appreciated - in this case, desperately needed! LOL

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2005/32616-FantasyWC.jpg

bjcpaints
03-17-2005, 03:46 PM
Nice work Paula! Love the wolf!

SILKNSATIN
03-17-2005, 03:52 PM
Wow paula this is going to be awesome :clap:
I cannot do a dog in my imagination.You did this wolf fantastic :clap:
Doesn't it feel good you created from within.It's your piece. :clap: :clap: :clap: .YOUR OWN MASTERPIECE ;)

sultry
03-17-2005, 04:21 PM
Ohh Paula I love this and ty for showing us, as you know I love everything you draw lol. But I do think this is beautiful. :cat:

SILKNSATIN
03-17-2005, 05:02 PM
Sult your doing good.But try to color light then look at your piece and see where you want to add shades.Always do your darks last.Make on the ornge and yellows it would look neat if ya blended them into eachother.try a bit lighter color on the skin and maybe a bit of purples or blue in the skin tones.And even a little greenish,blues or purples on the panther. :clap:

sultry
03-17-2005, 05:06 PM
umm Bon do you think I should start over? I mean transfer drawing and start light washes with the cp? I am not sure if I ruined the skin, it may not take anymore color.

Judi1957
03-17-2005, 06:28 PM
Hey Paula..Love the drawing, especially the wolf as well! :clap: :clap: :clap:

SILKNSATIN
03-17-2005, 06:34 PM
Well I have no idea what I was doing when I started to draw today.This is what I came up with.Yaya i know :p
I felt like drawing a face but then reached for my colored pencils and just couldn't stop lol

sultry
03-17-2005, 06:47 PM
Wow she's KOOL Bon. :cat:

Night Creature
03-17-2005, 06:56 PM
I was told this would be a good spot for this one, it's not finished yet but I'll post an upadated version of it when it is. :)

Fireman's kid
03-17-2005, 08:00 PM
Wow! Even more cool drawings since I was last here. Bon you are on fire! I don't know how you work so fast.

Night Creature I like your drawing too. It took me a minute to see the face in the mist. I like drawings like that where the closer you look the more you see.

Well, my imagination does not run in the realm of fairies and dragons and nude women. It is much more boring. Lol! But Jay said we could post anything from our imagination, so I thought of a piece I did a year or two ago. It is done in watercolor and watercolor pencil (I think...it has been so long it's hard to be sure :p ). This is my interpretation of "flying fish". Enjoy! :D

P.S. I haven't had a chance to start something new, but my thoughts are running along this same vain. I told you my imagination is borrrrrinnnnggg. :)

JayD
03-17-2005, 08:01 PM
Hi Sults--I am a member of Ann Kullberg's site as well so let me add to Judi's comments.

1. You have to keep the pencil sharp constantly

2. Keep your strokes VERY light and slowly build the colors

3 Pressing down too hard will cause a burnishing effect.

4. Keep your eyes peeled for wax bloom. If it happens, the gently wipe the wax away with a cloth and secure with fixative.

I love your design--very original and it flares! Bravo!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

mhimeswc
03-17-2005, 08:04 PM
I'm still here - haven't done my male from last week yet, nor have I done a fantasy figure. Like Judi, I just don't think in "fantasy". I don't have any strange figures or animals in my mind or in my dreams, and I don't even enjoy sci-fi or fantasy movies or books. But, I do intend to try one. Yikes!!!

I've spent a lot of time catching up on my watercolors this week - doing a non-objectional abstract for a project for one of my groups. I don't think "abstract" either, so this was quite a challenge, but I did it. I also finished up some watercolor collages that I had been working on since summer.

AND - I finished my income tax. My dear hubby used to take care of all that financial stuff and when he passed away it all fell on me who can't even balance a checkbook.

Anyway, I have looked at all the drawings here, and read the fantastic stories. Everyone that submitted a drawing did a super job, and Bon - you are amazing!!! Where does your mind get these ideas??? I'm still trying to come up with just one.

JayD, I don't know if another week will help me. I've been procrastinating about this project all week, and if I had another week I would probably just do more of the same. But if the majority votes for another week, that's okay with me.

Michelle (who will try to come up with something in the next day or two)

JayD
03-17-2005, 08:05 PM
OK, everybody--look at staci's work--that is fantasy and she had done it humoursly--its wonderful! Thanks, Staci!! :clap: :clap:

JayD
03-17-2005, 08:07 PM
Night--nice work--lets see your progress. :clap: :clap: :clap:

JayD
03-17-2005, 08:10 PM
Paula, looks good. love the hair and the wolf. :clap: :clap: :clap:

SILKNSATIN
03-17-2005, 08:33 PM
The word fantasy was just an excuse to get you to draw from within.To not use a magazine,photo,or something that someone else created.It's something that blosomed from you.You create with your hands,paint,draw,carve ect...Now how did you do that?from your mind and site.
Do anything you feel.any emotion,sarrow,memory of a time in childhood,a flower you seen but only in a dream,a cloud forming into beautiful images.
I do fantasy because I have always drawn it since I could pick up a pencil.Even years gone by where I never did any art and finally new it was the one thing missing in my soul that I longed for all my life.I started again and from childhood to adult,I still have a passion and a dreamy,unrealistic imagination.Not all do,some just have dreams of realism,but I know there's a bit of creation in all of us,even none artists.In man kind.Problem is some just think they are to old to think of things like that anymore.Well fishermans kid just proved that down deep there is a colorful side in all of us.What ever it may be.Like a beautiful long neck bottle with vines crawling all over it and the sweat running down from it sitting in the sun.
Imagination helps some go to a place that is all there own.A place where it's relaxing,no hatered,no blood shed,no hurt,imagination is not just of dragon,myth,fairies ect...It's a part of us all.

Night Creature
03-17-2005, 08:44 PM
Nicely said SilkNSatin. :D
By the way.. Update :clap:

SILKNSATIN
03-17-2005, 08:47 PM
Wow this has turn out great Night Creature :clap: :clap:

sultry
03-17-2005, 08:51 PM
Exactly Bon, I love to go to that place too. :cat:
Cool NightC. I like your work & so glad you posted here. :)
Ohhhh Stacy that is sooo cute I love the look on the bird's face, ha ha I had a similar fantasy but the other way around with birds in the sea lol how funny.
Michelle, you do such wonders with still life, have you ever thought of putting a face on them? Like Disney characters umm that teapot in Beauty & the Beast was thought up as fantasy.
Jay well I am trying to figure out cp, not sure if I like it. :( I am so impatient and my work is slow enough with out adding a slower medium to it. lol That is why I liked acrylics over oils.
Anyways, I will practice and get my strokes down very lightly and closer together marks. (so no white will show through).

jmfletch
03-17-2005, 08:57 PM
Many thanks for the kind words to Barbara, Judi, Sultry, Deb, and CJ. They definitely are encouraging.

Paula, Staci and Night..nice work. :clap:

Silk, what more can be said..AWESOME!! Thanks for taking time helping us. :clap: :clap:

Joe

cmwynn
03-17-2005, 09:07 PM
Okay, folks, if I can do it, somewhat grudgingly I admit, so can you! This did come from my imagination, not a dream, as I couldn't sleep so got up at 3AM to do the assignment. I started with light pencil cylinders, fleshed them out with pen, ended up with watercolor pencil. There was no reference, certainly a fantastical pose, not much experience with the figure. This is to show that not all fairies have to be cute, svelt and delicate. She is to be know forthwith as The Frumpy Fairy.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2005/29839-Frumpy_Fairyxm.jpg

SILKNSATIN
03-17-2005, 09:49 PM
Thank you jmfletch.
CONNIE very good and congrats on using your mind. :clap: :clap:
Now thoughs of you that don't work from your imagination at least 20% of the time or less? and have finished a piece of your own creation,HOW DOES IT FEEL?.dO YOU LOOK BACK AT IT AND SAY HEY i CREATED THIS,WOW :D
Do you feel more satified that you tried something different and was able to bring something out you never do?.Do you feel more creative?proud? like a winner?.was it relaxing?did you just sit back take a deep breath and let your hand go where your mind is taking it?Ask yourself these things.Pat yourself on the back and if ya can't reach then use your pencil and give yourself a few taps teehee. :clap:

Cathie Jones
03-17-2005, 09:57 PM
Paula, where have you been hiding? Your drawing is great - it'll be awesome when it's finished!

Night, same to you! Can't wait to see the finish of your drawing.

Hi Connie! I love the Frumpy Fairy . . . that could be me if I had wings!

Night Creature
03-17-2005, 11:01 PM
Thanks.

Frumpy Fairy, thats catchy. It's cool especially since it's something new for you to try.

SilkNSatin, it does feel great when you draw something you created, I know for me at least I feel a greater sense of accomplishment when something I made up comes out well then when I draw something thats right in front of me. :D

SILKNSATIN
03-17-2005, 11:03 PM
Ok I tried to put myself in your shoes.I tried to think of something that im not good at and something that doesn't interest me.Well i'm not that good at infants shapes,and I am not very interested in flowers.About the only flower I could think of was a rose.My mothers favorite flower was the yellow rose.And I don't know many flowers lol.So I figured i'd try to do a few infants and a rose in one so more or less they blosom together.Yuck it didn't turn out good at all but good or bad I tried and ill show.

Night Creature
03-18-2005, 12:20 AM
Wow! SilkNSatin that is so cool! I almost didn't see the lil' guys I did a double take. :eek: Amazing work I like it a lot. You are very talented. :clap: :clap:

crystalstarr
03-18-2005, 02:01 AM
i will be posting something in here very soon this class stuff rocks!

marilyn h
03-18-2005, 07:38 AM
This is my fantasy drawings. This has taken several years of development. I use to live by the ocean and these critters started to come to life. My imagination has taken over the right side of my brain. Lol!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2005/4759-Groupies.JPG

"Groupies"

mhimeswc
03-18-2005, 07:41 AM
That's beautiful, Marilyn. I love your fish drawings.

Michelle (still staring at a blank paper in my mind)

JayD
03-18-2005, 08:00 AM
ANNOUNCEMENT: i AM GOING TO BE EXTENDING THIS CLASS ONE MORE WEEK SO THAT EVERYONE GETS A CHANCE TO CATCH UP. I ENCOURAGE THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE COMPLETED YOUR WORK(S) TO DO ANOTHER--JUST FOR FUN. ENJOY!-JAY

bjcpaints
03-18-2005, 09:11 AM
Wow - This is fun! Stacy - love your painting!
Connie, I am the Queen of Frump so your fairy must be part of my realm. I dubbed myself that because I wear very long skirts all winter. Nice job - love the hair color.
Bonnie, Your rose baby is as beautiful as an Ann Geddes photo (babies in flowers).
Marilyn, Those fish are incredible! You should illustrate a children's book! Or have you already?
Night Creature - Very mystical drawing - love it!
JayD - I will try to re-do my fantasy drawing from last week and bring it up to better quality. I have commited to another project this coming week but I think I can squeeze in one more drawing before I go away next Thurs.
Will be gone for a week - no TV, no computer, no fat, no sugar. I'll be living in the healthy happy world of my daughter and grandsons in Belfast, ME.
Hi to everyone else - good to see some new faces in with the regulars here.
Barbara

sultry
03-18-2005, 09:42 AM

Bon they are beautiful, I think this rose needs a title.

Connie, this fairy has style.

Marilyn it is another masterpiece of yours, love the fin work.

Looking forward to seeing your fantasy Crystal.

Ty for the xtra week Jay. :cat:

roger41
03-18-2005, 11:55 AM
Hey guys ...thought I would join in and post my latest work in progress........thanks for letting me join in the class :) ....this is a drawing of Medusa ....to look upon her would turn any creature to stone...Athena punished her for her vanity......and her curse was to turn her golden ringlets into slithering serpents....major ugliness....and very bad breath :rolleyes: ....ok...ok....I made the last part up :D...but come on...does it really look like she is into any good oral mouth care .

Roger

JayD
03-18-2005, 11:57 AM
Hey Bonnie--try burnishing your highlights and what what it does on your flower. nice work!!!

Sults, thanks for handing things while I am in and out--Bonnie, thank for all the teaching guidance for this and next week. Here are some announcements.

I JUST WANT YOU ALL TO KNOW THAT THERE WILL ALSO BE A HORROR ADDITION TO THIS SERIES LATER ON--WE WANT TO COVER SOME MORE BASIC FIRST SO BE PREPARED.

TOWARD THE END OF THE SERIES WE ARE GOING TO HAVE A MASTERS CONTEST. THERE WILL BE A PRIZE WHICH I AM DONATING. I HAVENT DECIDED WHAT IT IS YET BUT IT IS MONTHS OFF. I AM DONATING THE PRIZE BECAUSE I WANT NO ADVERTISING INFLUENCE IN THIS CLASS. MORE ON THIS LATER.

BE LOOKING AT WORKS BY THE MASTERS AND PICK OUT WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING--MASTERS MUST BE DEAD--THAT IS OUR WORKING DEFINITIONS--SO NO DAVID HOCKNEY WANNABES. :D I WILL PROBABLY ENLIST THE OTHER GUIDES AND MODS AS JUDGES SO I WILL NOT BE DECIDING ANYTHING. YOU SHOULD LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU PLAN ON DOING AT SOME POINT. THANKS

Judi1957
03-18-2005, 12:35 PM
Hey All! :wave:
So good to see everyones posts!

Bon, love the rose babies! :clap: Is there anything you can't draw? :D

Stacey, love the fantasy drawing. The double taking bird is really a great idea!! :clap:

Connie, Frumpy fairy-ha-ha-ha. Good one. love her! :clap: :clap: And I loved the then and now portrait in Sult's lurkers thread. WOW!!!!

Marilyn, glad to have you visit and show off those beautiful fish! :clap:
Night Creature and Roger-Wowie as well! :clap:

Hey CJ, Joe, Michelle! :wave:

Hope I didn't miss anyone....

Hey JayD :wave: , I will finish my fantasy drawing tonite. :angel: Still using the pre-existing characters, but I wanted to finish it.

artdude
03-18-2005, 12:36 PM
Although this is not a new drawing, I thought I would contribute one of my very first Fantasy drawings I did. The original peice is done by Stephen Fabian. He does some AWESOME fantasy work! This is my rendition of his "After the Last Elf is Dead". Done with 8b and 4b pencils.

PS: this is only a partial scan.

Murray
-------------------------

Mary Woodul
03-18-2005, 03:26 PM
Hi Everyone! I am just recovering the loss of our five year old grandaughter. She passed away Sunday evening, suddenly. She was brain damaged from the time of her birth due to a birth accident and didn't have much of a future in store for her. We will miss her very much but I know that she would not want us to be sad, now that she is rewarded with eternal happiness.

JayD, thank you for extending the class another week. I had started mine on Sunday but have not worked on it since. I will start working on it again and hope to have a clearer mind for writing the story with it.

I just love the work I have seen, you all are great with your imagination. :clap: :clap:

Judi1957
03-18-2005, 03:35 PM
Mary,
I am so sorry to hear about your grandaughter. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

sultry
03-18-2005, 03:41 PM
Mary you know I send you my deepest sympathy as I told you in pm I do hope you do a drawing for her or of her. The grief you feel will subside into the love you have in your heart for her on to the paper.
It is a healing & very soothing loving way to say your good bye to your loved one. Good Bye but never forgotten & Always in your heart.
Whenever I loose a loved one, I notice I subconciously doodle them. I am not able to handle the loss, till I do a portrait of them.

sultry
03-18-2005, 03:43 PM
Thank you Roger & Murray for posting your fantasies.
Murray are those ears sticking up out of the head. I like the armour too.

jmfletch
03-18-2005, 04:10 PM
Mary, Please know that you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

Joe

Firstsister
03-18-2005, 04:22 PM
Hi Everyone! I am just recovering the loss of our five year old grandaughter. She passed away Sunday evening, suddenly. She was brain damaged from the time of her birth due to a birth accident and didn't have much of a future in store for her. We will miss her very much but I know that she would not want us to be sad, now that she is rewarded with eternal happiness.

Dear Mary, I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your special, little, grandaughter.

You have my sincerest sympathies and prayers.

Take care.

mhimeswc
03-18-2005, 04:47 PM
Mary, my sympathies to you and your family.

Michelle

cmwynn
03-18-2005, 05:35 PM
Mary, I know this is a very painful loss, but hope that all the good wishes we are passing on to you help some.

Mary Woodul
03-18-2005, 06:25 PM
Judi, thank you for the prayers and being with me.

Sultry, thank you and I am going to do just that, I know it will be comforting.

Joe, thank you for your words and prayers.

Paula, thank you and I am so happy to see you around. I have seen your drawings and they are awesome, as always.

Michelle thank you, and your fantasy drawing is a delightful fantasy. I love it.

Connie, definetely you all are a group that give so much, in every way, and I thank you and feel very comforted.

JayD, thank you for your words in the PM and I am little by little coming back to life.

Mary Woodul
03-18-2005, 06:33 PM
This is my fantasy drawings. This has taken several years of development. I use to live by the ocean and these critters started to come to life. My imagination has taken over the right side of my brain. Lol!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2005/4759-Groupies.JPG

"Groupies"
Sorry marilyn, I credited your drawing to Michelle, it is really fantastic and beautiful.

JayD
03-18-2005, 07:14 PM
Murrray and roger thanks for the post--Paula, I am sorry about your loss. Mary, I am sure Michelle did not mind--I know I wouldn't!!! :D

Just a reminder to everyone to have your masters project picked out in two to three weeks--not started or finished--just picke out. PM me if you have questions.

crystalstarr
03-18-2005, 07:33 PM
hi here is my fantasy art work... there is more titled "faries" here in the forum

Judi1957
03-18-2005, 09:07 PM
Crystalstarr,
She is beautiful. You have a lovely touch!
:clap: :clap:

Night Creature
03-18-2005, 09:38 PM
As I stated in the original thread this is far as I'm going for right now till I can get an idea of what else I'd like to add to it. Thanks.
:D

crystalstarr
03-18-2005, 09:48 PM
Crystalstarr,
She is beautiful. You have a lovely touch!

Thank you Judi, i'm really getting into making real people look like faries :)

Night Creature
03-18-2005, 09:50 PM
You do a good job of that, turning real people into fairies that is. Nicely done. :p

Cathie Jones
03-18-2005, 11:30 PM
Roger and Night, thanks for joining - oh, and ArtDude, too! Inspiring stuff!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2005/23460-smiley_grouphug.gif Mary, my eyes are teary for you and your precious granddaughter http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2005/23460-smiley_grouphug.gif

JayD & Bon, I'm still working on an idea, but I have to tell you that I wish we had studied hands, feet and faces before this class. It's one thing to have an idea, it's quite another to know how to get it onto paper. I'm taking my imagination off of people-type things now and maybe have a couple of other ideas. Guess I may need that extra week after all! :wink2:

Judi1957
03-18-2005, 11:30 PM
Evening All, :wave:

Not really what I was to do for the class but it is a fantasy of sorts.

This is titled 'Waiting for Dorothy', as the real ending to the story was never told. They never got over her to this day, and are still waiting for Dorothy to return to Oz.

I know, LOL, kind of korny, but this is what I did.
The Tin Man's 'pants' need some more work, Scarecrows legs are too thin and his hands are all a mess, and I still need to do some work with the values. Lion's head is too big. Geez, thought I was done til I uploaded. :(

edited to add: And I missed the Tin Man's feet. :crying:

Judi1957
03-18-2005, 11:34 PM
I wish we had studied hands, feet and faces before this class.

Hey CJ :wave: , I'll second that!

JayD
03-18-2005, 11:36 PM
Judi, I will count it--it is part of a fantasy and it may inspire you to do more so good job!

Cathie Jones
03-18-2005, 11:37 PM
Hi Judi! Great Oz stuff! Dontcha just love that movie? :music: Follow the yellow brick road . . . :music:

Hey JayD! I forgot that I meant to ask if we can have a CP class. I saw some of the tips you and someone else (Judi?) were giving a few posts back, and wondered why you need to keep CPs sharp . . . and that led to a desire to know more about how to use them. Could you include a quick class here?

JayD
03-18-2005, 11:42 PM
Hi, CJ--unfortunately, we cannot have a CP class here but I would be willing to take it up with the moderators over at the cp forum if you are interested.

Also, if you go to the cp forum and check out their hall of fame, you will see numerous projects designed for learning that you should definitely give a shot if interested. The Hall of Fame is sort of the Smithsonian of Colored Pencil forums--I don't think there is a more definitive source for color pencil ANYWHERE on the web.

sultry
03-19-2005, 12:11 AM
Judi, wow I like the Wiz crew & you have them looking so impatient. lol
Did you ever have dreams of them after watching the movie? I used to dream of those scarey birds that picked them up and dropped them off at the evil witch castle. You know the ones that pulled all the stuffing out of the scarecrow and he was in pieces everywhere. I would wake up so scared of beng pulled apart. lol
Hiyas CJ, :wave:
Jay, I am confused about the Master thing we are supposed to do. I went back to read your first post on it, and it confused me more. :(

JayD
03-19-2005, 12:34 AM
Very simple Sults--you are going to get to try your hand reproducing a masterwork.

sultry
03-19-2005, 07:43 AM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok we get to pick any Master that does horror work? I think you said we are doing the macabe scary stuff right? Or am I way off in center field here? lol

Hey guys I do not see any Stars by Fantasy Class 15, Please Rate this Thread. :wave:

JayD
03-19-2005, 07:50 AM
I was thinking more of the traditional masters for this class. We are setting up a contest for this class so there will be a prize or some prizes of sorts but the point here is to practice on one of the classical masters.

As far as horror goes--sit tight--I am going to be writing a class on that subject a little down the road. :)

SILKNSATIN
03-19-2005, 09:29 AM
Mary i'm so sorry to hear about your little granddaughter.My heart goes out to you and yours.
JayD I have no idea what you are talking about?You mean next class we are going to practice on doing an old masters piece?for a contest?.Might miss that one.
Sorry all i've been sick for a few days.Still not up to much.Wow see so many new names in the thread but i'll try to check them out later.I'll try to check in later today.

idcrisis55
03-19-2005, 09:40 AM
Mary, I just read the thread and am so sorry to hear of your granddaughter. I sent you a PM.

Bon, hope you get to feeling much better, quickly :)

Judi, love your drawing of the Oz trio.

Marilyn H, beautiful drawing. Love sea creatures :)

Now I have to go back and look at the other work. Just wanted to pop in and say hi to everyone :wave: :D

Ann

mothsailor
03-19-2005, 11:50 AM
Mary, I was very sorry to read of your loss. What a terrible thing to happen.

Judi1957
03-19-2005, 12:25 PM
JayD, :wave: thanks for accepting it, sorry. :( I did take a digital pic and it looks a little better, even thought I haven't finished it and not sure if I will have the time.

CJ :wave: , Wizard of Oz was always a favorite. It was a big deal in our house. Mom would take us to the store so we could each pick out 2 cans of soda and she would make popcorn for the big event. Yellow brick road, yeh, but I got the idea for the pic when someone was walking by by cubie humming ' :music: If I only has a Brain :music: '. LOL

Bon, :wave: Hope you are feeling better soon! Miss you!
Hi Ann, Dave and Sults

JayD
03-19-2005, 12:29 PM
JayD I have no idea what you are talking about?You mean next class we are going to practice on doing an old masters piece?for a contest?.Might miss that one.

Bon--I hope you get to feeling better--I am under the weather myself but with alergies and the usual spring is approaching mish mash!

Regarding the MASTERS--First--this is for a contest which is going to be toward the END of the class series--we have a ways to go to get there--just be thinking about what you would like to do--I would suggest that you check out two Artists--Wally Wood and Roy Lichtenstein.

After talking with Sults--I decided that the only criteria for the Masters is going to be that the artist has to be dead--that will enable you to consider various artist of the 20th century backwards and to include American, Canadian, and South American Artists--For example, in South America, Diego Rivera is a personal favorite of mine. It will allow you to also include prominent women artist who would otherwise be left out of the mix.

I think of EVERYTHING that I have seen you do, my favorite is the flower--although it may not be, in your opinion, your best, it represents to me a willingness on you, the artist, to move outside your comfort zone--the mark of a REAL artist. I hope you participate.--jay

ps--I will NOT be elligible to participate in the contest just as the other mods and guides are not elligible but I will be doing a master's demo.

mothsailor
03-19-2005, 12:30 PM
The Masters idea is a great one, JayD! Do you want us choose a drawing or can it be any type of work? Either way, it's a tough choice!

JayD
03-19-2005, 12:57 PM
Long as the artist is dead!--NOW, that DOES NOT mean that somebody needs to go out an kill ARMIN--natural deaths only! :D

Actually, the artist is your choice. You also may have your choice of media. However, step by step demos will be required so that we can see your techique--that allows you to choose your medium but allows me to keep this confined to a drawing class since drawing are the basis for most things art.

Judi1957
03-19-2005, 01:03 PM
Long as the artist is dead!--NOW, that DOES NOT mean that somebody needs to go out an kill ARMIN--natural deaths only! :D

Actually, the artist is your choice. You also may have your choice of media. However, step by step demos will be required so that we can see your techique--that allows you to choose your medium but allows me to keep this confined to a drawing class since drawing are the basis for most things art.

Kill Armin, ha-ha-ha.

So is there any other criteria? Just: Dead, any medium, demo.

JayD
03-19-2005, 01:13 PM
that's IT! :D

mothsailor
03-19-2005, 01:35 PM
You also may have your choice of media. However, step by step demos will be required so that we can see your techique--that allows you to choose your medium but allows me to keep this confined to a drawing class since drawing are the basis for most things art.

Any medium? Maybe I'll try my hand at sculpture! :D (Now that would be funny!)

JayD
03-19-2005, 02:14 PM
Not so funny, my Mothsailing friend--Degas experimented with sculptor. You may certainly scupt as long as we see the entire process which means your working drawings. I think it would be cool. Do Degas' little chorus rat. That would be really neat!

cmwynn
03-19-2005, 02:29 PM
The masters session sounds good to me. I know drawing was considered the basis for all classical art education. BTW, Jay, Rivera was from Mexico, so qualifies as a North American. I have been sensitive to this since I made a very embarrassing remark once about Americans, meaning from the United States, when I was talking to Canadians.

Cathie Jones
03-19-2005, 02:38 PM
Ooooooh - Degas! :clap: Yes! I saw some of his sculpture a year or so ago at a special exhibit at the Legion of Honor museum in San Francisco! His sculpture of the little chorus rat was there, as well as many of his paintings. Fantastic stuff!!

JayD
03-19-2005, 02:47 PM
Connie, I did not know that--thank you! I still Like Rivera though--his work is very powerful but I also like a lot of bonafie south american art--dont be too sensitive about his issue--speaking out like you did help eliminate ignorance--something we ALL tend to be guilty of. :)

I hope you are going to participate--by the way, I LOVE your bridge--very nice work!

As for the Canadians, Bush has recently name them as part of the HUBCAP of evil along with Tahiti and Guam (which he doesn't seem to realize belongs to us)--translated, Bush will be conquering them soon and then we ALL will be part of South America!!! :D

SILKNSATIN
03-19-2005, 04:13 PM
So let me understand this!We are to pick a dead artist umm master!and try to come as close as we can to coping this artists work??

JayD
03-19-2005, 04:19 PM
Just copy the work. That is it--but this won't happen til the end of the class, Bon so if you decide to take part, you can just take your time. We have quite a few more classes to get through first. :)

SILKNSATIN
03-19-2005, 05:05 PM
Thank you JayD

Cathie Jones
03-19-2005, 06:03 PM
Here's my scaly fantasy creature. Entirely from my imagination, so ignore the fact that she has a cartoon face and hair and no hands. Feet were not a problem . . . :D Below this one is a fantasy fish watercolor sketch that I did a few months ago as a practice piece. Hope this gets me off the hook for this lesson!!

SILKNSATIN
03-19-2005, 06:46 PM
cathie fantastic :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mary Woodul
03-19-2005, 07:39 PM
Hi everyone!

Crystalstar, welcome and that is a beautiful drawing.

Night Creature - wow, that is a creepy fantasy drawing. It is very interesting. Welcome, also.

Cathie, thank you for the group hug. I love your fantasy drawing. :D

Judi, wow, that is good. I don't know why but your lion reminds me of Rex Harrison. :D

Bon, thank you and I hope you feel better.

Ann, I got your PM and Dave, I feel so comforted by all of you, thank you!

JayD, the masterpiece thread is going to be a lot of fun. :clap: :clap:

mhimeswc
03-19-2005, 08:20 PM
Judi, great work on the Wizard of Oz characters.

Michelle

Judi1957
03-20-2005, 12:16 AM
Hey CJ :wave: Great mermaid! I love her long hair! (hey-great way to avoid the feet :wink2: :wink2: )The fish has such wonderful colors. Wow!

Hi Bon! :wave: Are you feeling better? Hope so!

Hi Mary and Michelle :wave: Thanks. (Uh, not supposed to be Rex, supposed to be Bert. LOL well we are in fantasy land :D )

hyetos
03-20-2005, 06:07 AM
Hi, this is such a rollicking thread! I never knew there was so much enthusiasm for fantasy on the drawing the forum! :)

I've posted my latest pic here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257845), but I don't have intermediate scans for him, so I thought I'd post an older picture. Its a fierce looking elf in a kind of warrior pose ...

Progress and narration in the next thread ... :cool:

hyetos
03-20-2005, 06:28 AM
My philosophy for fantasy drawing is that is should be based on, to a larger extent than we realise, reality. This seems quite ironic at first, but I think quite alot of what we draw for a fantasy drawing, can be found in real life. For example, the elf above has a "human" body, the clothes fold and crease like cloth that we see, the metal reflects light like the metal in our real world. Therefore, by changing ever so slightly, the real world, we can get a fantasy drawing. Even if a larger porportion of the subject of the fantasy art is"unreal", like marilyn's fish above, the principles behind the perspective, light, shadows, etc, remain the same in the fantasy world, and in the real world.

There are some exceptions, of course, and this is where we truly begin to push boundaries. For example, MC Escher's work plays with perspective, but notice that whenever he does this, his subject is often mundane, non-fantastic. This allows us to relate to his drawing, since its not totally divorced from what we perceive in reality. I suppose there are also artists who have innovated away from the perspective/light rules and also used weird, other-worldly subjects, this would be extremely fantastic work! :)

OK, enough rambling, what I did for the elf was to pic a nice ref photo from a men's fitness magazine. (An aside: these magazines are usually excellent references for musculature) I wanted to give him a "fighting" pose, and for him to hold a weapon (the spike ball). The first pic is just my reference lines, showing the rought drawings for the man's physiques. I then add some clothes: a cape, a belt and some loose elf-trousers. Already, the cape lends him a bit of a fantasy feel. At this stage, he still looks like a man.

Next, I add some elf features, particularly, the pointed ears, his eyebrows which sharpen out, and his irises, which are oval, like a cat's. A few small alterations go a long way! The human eye is remarkably perceptive of small details. Retrospectively, I think I could have done alot more here, such as higher/sharper cheek bones, a pointy chin, perhaps even a tattoo ...

Next pic, I detail in the chest and biceps, this is done exactly the same way as for a normal figure study. For his leather strap across the chest, I add some scroll work. Cursive letters are usually associated with elves. Orcs get tribal stuff, while dwarves get runes. Humans are left with the alphabet.

Finally I draft out the designs for his clothes. Here you can really let your imagination run wild: clothes and fashion is a no-holds bar, we are used to seeing fantastic costumes in movies, shows, even catwalks. So there is no reason why he shouldn't be given something funky to wear. Unfortunately, I've placed the ball too near to his clothes, so I just did up the belt. Too much would be a distraction from his weapon.

OK, that's my thoughts while doing up this pieces, hope you've enjoyed the tour. (Of course, I deleted all the "oh crap! pass me the eraser", "Not ANOTHER smudge" thoughts that permeated this drawing's progress).

mothsailor
03-20-2005, 06:46 AM
OK, finally got something done! Here is a dragon, sort of...

sultry
03-20-2005, 07:39 AM

Crystal I am so sorry for not commenting on your beautiful fairy. I did see her in you thread of faries, so I guess I thought I had already commented. Forgive me, I do like this one alot because it has such a reality girl and yet you drew her wings so lifelike that it is fantasy. She could be a intermission dream from reality or in our daydreams. Have you ever looked out the corner of your eye and thought you saw something that was not there?

CJ I love your mermaid & fish they both have great composition by the way. I think the mermaid is very nicely placed with the fin up and the hair flowing to the left (her right) and her face looking to the side as if she is just paused to look ahead before she swam onward with arms folded to the same way she gazes is what balances the composition in this. Oh yea the way you have her too, gives the illusion she is kneeling on grass and little flowers. So this has a way of doubling the fantasy so to speak.
As for the colorful fish, I like how you put movement into the fins. :)

Hyetos, I remember when you posted your elf before. I do like the demo you displayed and how you came about creating him. He is great and I think I did comment on your thread about how liked how you rendered those muscles. As you state about fantasy, I think because your belief is so strong on what you think of it, is the reason you have such wonderful eye candy fantasy pieces.

Hey Dave, this dragon is fantastic! I like his serpents head looking towards us as if he was flying by but we caught his attention and the movement of his legs as if he has to change course to ummm get us. Oh and those wings are very insect like but sturdy. So Kool :clap:

Mary Woodul
03-20-2005, 08:03 AM
Hyetos your fantasy and drawing skills are fantastic.

Dave that dragon is very impressive, it has a lot of character. I will try to post mine by this evening. Hi All. :wave:

Cathie Jones
03-20-2005, 09:40 AM
Thank you, Sults. I may come back to this lesson and redo the mermaid, or something else, when we've had more lessons on body parts so it can be less cartoonish.

SILKNSATIN
03-20-2005, 11:45 AM
I have a snakey feeling you captured 1/2 a dragon. :D :clap:
I like it :wave:

Deb Leger
03-20-2005, 01:27 PM
Mary, I'm so sorry for the loss of your grandaughter! My deepest sympathies. Time heals.

Jay, thanks for the extra week. The master piece sounds like fun!! I'll do the drawing and then work it in watercolour. (I bet Armin is breathing a sigh of relief!) I know what you're saying about allergies, too. YEsterday I was fine but as soon as I walked out the door, they hit me like a ton of bricks. A double dose of flonase didn't help at all, either.

Nice cp work, Sults. Love the feathers.

Paula, beautiful fantasy drawing!! I just love your wolf!

Wow Bon, your cp work is awesome! I love the spots around her ears - very Star Trekkie! And the infants in your rose are great! I almost missed them until someone pointed it out.

Nightcreature, that face in your mist is great!

Hi Michelle, if you're looking for an idea - what about a fairy sitting on one of the petals of your beautiful macro florals?

Stacy - nice watercolour! (I've eaten flying fish, but I'm sure it wasn't the cute lil creature you did!)

Connie, I love your outlook on fairies! Frumpy Fairy is what I feel like when doing housework instead of painting or drawing. And I love what you said about "North Americans".

Marilyn, you do awesome groupies! Beautiful!

Wow Roger, your drawing is wonderful! How do you get such smooth dark blacks? Is this graphite? (I can just never get my blacks nice and smooth like that!) Love her mouth, too!

Murray, nice work! He looks very sinister! I love your armor work.

Crystalstar, what an awesome fairy! I just love her wings!!!

Judi, very nice Oz-work!!

CJ, cute mermaid! (And the fish, too.) I'm like you, though with faces. When doing a ballerina drawing, I just left her face completely out.

Hyetos, thank you for the demo! And for sharing your beautiful elf! I love the muscles. That's a great idea to use men's fitness magazines for seeing them!

Dave, nice dragon! The snakey head looks great!

Ok, I think I'm caught up! Now, to go back to drawing.

Deb

mhimeswc
03-20-2005, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, Deb. My mind is a total blank, and the more I try to come up with an idea the blanker it gets. I've thought of mermaids, fantasy people/flowers, but I truly can't draw without a reference. I guess I'm not really creative, just a good copier. I like the way Hyetos used a realistic reference and just changed it a little to make his fantasy character. I just haven't found a reference that sparks any hint of creativity for me. I seem to have a huge mental block here.

Michelle

Judi1957
03-20-2005, 10:22 PM
Michelle, I know what you mean, the more I think about it, the blanker it gets!!! I feel real frustrated with it, the lack of creativity on my part. :(

Hey Deb! :wave: TY

Hey Dave, Nice dragon! :clap: :D
I like the take on it by Sults.

Hyetos, Nice work there and thanks for walking thru it with us. :clap:

SILKNSATIN
03-20-2005, 10:37 PM
Thank you Deb.Forgot to say the rose ababies are done in water color paints and colored pencil mix.
Hyetos fantastic work :clap:

JayD
03-20-2005, 11:15 PM
OK, guys--let me finally step in here--we cant all be Bontastic with the ability to whip these things up in a moments instance.

Let me give you an example of a two famous fantasy artists:

Boris Vallejo

Frank Frazetta

These are probably TWO of the most famous fantasy artists around. Oh sure, there are more--but these guys helped define the genre.

Michelle, Judi--EVERYONE--they worked from models. Those models were were costumes similar to what the artists wanted and they held props.

Here is an excercise for those of you who TRULY have a block.

DRAW ONE OF YOUR NORMAL PICTURES OR TAKE ONE THAT YOU HAVE DONE AND DRAW IT AND THEN CONVERT IT INTO A FANTASY PICTURE USING WHATEVER MEANS YOU HAVE AT YOUR DISPOSAL.

imagination is NOT a poloroid camera--you cant take the instant pictures--sometimes when imagination snaps that shot--you have to pull that image out yourself--BY whatever means necessary. :)

SILKNSATIN
03-20-2005, 11:51 PM
Wow JayD I didn't know they used models and props and costumes?Of course I didn't know of any artists but some old masters ive heard of in my years of growing up,until I came here.These two fantasy arts I have checked out awhile back and I was in awe.So fasinated with their ability to create such fantasy and so much of it.I do alot of my fantasy from life.I even use my friends,daughter,grandkids as my models and turn it into a fantasy piece lol.
Here are some i used of my niece,friend of my son's,my granddaughters.

SILKNSATIN
03-20-2005, 11:54 PM
2 more of my youngest grandbaby.This is just some lol.
Umm no I can't whip them out but I give myself 2 to 3 hours of my private time a day or night thats just my time and nobody elses and I either work on art or go shopping lol.

Judi1957
03-21-2005, 12:00 AM
Hey JayD! :wave:
Those artists are fantastic for sure. I PROMISE YOU, I will get something done by the end of the class. :angel:

Bon, Those are wonderful. :clap: :clap:
Can I borrow your mind, just for an hour or so? :D

Cathie Jones
03-21-2005, 12:04 AM
Bon, these are all terrific, but I especially love the baby in the egg!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Judi, I know you'll come up with something fantastic, and I can't wait to see it.

JayD
03-21-2005, 12:07 AM
Just remember everyone that when Robert E. Howard wrote about Conan the Barbarian--he was a man--in an envioment of the writer's choosing. The man had a sword, the man wore skins--these are ALL realistic things that when combined complete the fantasy.

Judi1957
03-21-2005, 12:12 AM
Judi, I know you'll come up with something fantastic, and I can't wait to see it.

Ha-ha, I started on a frog till I saw Boris Vallejo and Frank Frazetta's work. Back to square one! :D (I wasn't real happy w/ the frog anyway...LOL)
But thanks for the vote of confidence
:music: If I only had a brain! :music:

Getting punchy...going to bed!

crystalstarr
03-21-2005, 12:22 AM
Wow thanks haha its hard to keep up here! i dont know names but the wizard of oz drawing was wow! gave me the idea to start drawing them!

Like the guy with the mace and elf ears as well

the dragon looked really good

crystalstarr
03-21-2005, 12:23 AM
Oh the baby in the ego Adorable!

I hope i didnt miss anybody i'll go look..

JayD
03-21-2005, 12:25 AM
Here is another artist for you to check out who does incredible fantasy work in colored pencil. His name is

Howard David Johnson

He also uses models. Michelle--brings the models in and does a photo session--then he works from the photos.

I am reminded of a painting by Da Vinci called the Madonna of the Rocks--it is your basic mother and child with a really strange and rocky background--a science fiction writer wrote a short story about how the painting was actually--speculating that Da Vinci had invented a way to to get to the moon to do the painting.

Another writer tells the story of a world where art is forbidden and there is a particular brutal demonstration of the destruction of art works in which the Mona Lisa was a featured piece.. A boy managedd to save and hide the smile because it had effected him somehow emotionally.

You as artist can take the mundane and elevate it to fantasy--imagination is the power to make that elevation.

crystalstarr
03-21-2005, 12:25 AM
silknsatin your work awes me. I love it!

vasilkadifeli
03-21-2005, 01:13 AM
...I am just recovering the loss of our five year old grandaughter. She passed away Sunday evening, suddenly. She was brain damaged from the time of her birth due to a birth accident and didn't have much of a future in store for her. We will miss her very much but I know that she would not want us to be sad, now that she is rewarded with eternal happiness...

Marry I am so sorry to hear about your grandaughter... my sympathies and prayers to you and your family..

sultry
03-21-2005, 08:46 AM
Pssssssssssssssst hey everyone Deb is clowning around instead of working on her fantasy lol, just clowning around with you Deb,
Field trip to her great clown thread is right here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258910)

mhimeswc
03-21-2005, 11:49 AM
Bon, your latest posts are awesome. I love the baby in the egg, the baby is so beautiful and he looks so natural coming out of the egg. I have 8 grandchildren, but I never thought of using them for this assignment.

Deb, I went over to see your clown - he's terrific. I'm glad you made him a friendly clown. I was petrified of clowns when I was a kid - especially the one on the huge billboard at the amusement park. I used to have nightmares about him.

Michelle

Mary Woodul
03-21-2005, 03:56 PM
Good afternoon everyone!

Deb, thank you for your words. I love you clown thread the drawing is so appealing.

Thank you Vasil, for your words and prayers.

Here is my fantasy drawing although I don't have a story behind it except that it could be my version of the birth of Venus. It is colored pencil on sketchpad paper. I don't know how to blend colored pencil and I tried with a stump on the sky and was not successful. :D JayD I would have liked to try the grisaille technique on this but it would have taken me forever.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Mar-2005/43096-IMG_0714.JPG

Night Creature
03-21-2005, 04:44 PM
Over the weekend I drew my Girlfriend sleeping, I was given the idea to add wings to the drawing, so I did and I tried to make it appear as if she was sleeping on a cloud. I havn't had a chance to get on in a lil' while so when I read the replies I believe someone suggested that I post it here as well. So I will. :D

Judi1957
03-21-2005, 07:34 PM
Hi Mary! :wave:
This looks wonderful. The title is a good one too! I didn't know you worked in colored pencils. I really like the shell and putting Venus in it was a great idea (oh, some people do have imaginations!) I love all the colors you used in it. :clap: :clap: :clap: As for the blending, I have only ever burnished with a colorless blender or gradually worked layers over layers fading in and out (which I prefer), so JayD woud be the one to advise you there.

Hey Night, Saw you post this in the main forum. I liked it then and I like it now. Boy, everybody's doing fairies! Good job! :clap: :clap:
(And I think GF will be pleased...you don't need to run :D )

JayD
03-21-2005, 08:33 PM
Mary, cp is certainly interesting when it comes to blending. There are several approaches to blending ( I will mention these but refer to the cp hall of fame for more detail)

1. You can blend using solvents like Turpenoid using a brush and great care.

2 You can blend using what is called a colorless blender by adding a layer of the blender like you are using a colored pencil

3. There are colored pencil blenders tha are solvent based pens from companies like prismacolor which are essentially colorless markers.

5 You can blend using a white colored pencil

6. You can create Juxtaposed layers of color to simulate blending (the layering of colors is the biggest seller for me of colored pencils).

7. You can burnish the colors using a burnishing tool (something with a dull tip) or you can burnish using white (see above)

There are other ways that I am sure that I missed but these should do well to get you started. USE PRACTICE PAPER TO LEARN TO HANDLE THESE TECHNIQUES BEFORE APPYING TO YOUR ACTUAL WORK.

Hope this helps!

Mary Woodul
03-21-2005, 09:00 PM
Hi Judi, this is my second colored pencil and I enjoyed it better than the first. I'm glad you liked it.

JayD, thanks a million, I had heard or read about a colorless blenders but I didn't know what they were talking about. I will look for one here but I will try all of these techniques you have given me, that will give me something to work on the rest of the week. :D

NightCreature, great drawing, I like it. :D

sultry
03-21-2005, 10:18 PM
Mary I just love your renendition of Birth of Venus. The colors are beautiful.

Hi, Bill, that was me who mentioned she needed to have a home here.

Well, umm Jay I promise to start on my graphite fantasy drawing tonite, I just completed my male figure for class 15 (bf), also with his bald spot. lol, so umm Deb, see I am late too.

JayD
03-22-2005, 12:34 AM
Uh hummmmmm...ok...sults--I will be looking for it. :D

I want to apologize to everyone for not posting more frequenlty but I have lost the letter "D" on my computer--I am waiting for D (ouch)ell to send me another. Right now, its like walking around with one shoe down a gravel path--so please excuse me.

jmfletch
03-22-2005, 07:18 PM
Did this last night while stting with the bride listening to TV. It started as a doodle and exercise in building blends then grew to fill the page. It is not fantasy but it is imagination. :D Not sure about the compsition but it was fun.

Working on a fantasy figure, (especially now that I know we can use models/references for the real parts.)

Joe

SILKNSATIN
03-22-2005, 07:39 PM
Jm fabtastic design you have created with your imagination :clap: :clap:
Mary wow I love that and you are a natural with the CP. :clap: :clap:

Mary Woodul
03-22-2005, 09:05 PM
Bon and Sults, thanks, that is really a compliment about CP comeing from you Bon. :D

Joe I love that drawing, to me the composition is perfect. Everything is very appealing about it.

Judi1957
03-22-2005, 09:32 PM
Hey Joe :music: , That is really cool. Makes me think you are going to nail the folds class. :clap:
Hey Mary and Bon :wave:

idcrisis55
03-22-2005, 09:43 PM
Hi Everyone :wave:

Mary, great shell. You are doing so well with the colored pencil.

Joe, fab design and shading work.

This class has really brought home to me how limited my imagination really is. Hopefully, doing this fantasy will help me become more elastic in my thinking. So my fantasy sketch is attached using .005 graphite mechanical pencil and a 2B pencil. All C & C's much appreciated.

Ann

Judi1957
03-22-2005, 10:09 PM
Hey Ann :wave:
Love your fairy! :clap: Do you have a story with it? I think it could use a bit more darks to make it pop.
I think you did really well with your fantasy drawing. :clap:

sultry
03-22-2005, 10:10 PM
Eh Joe that is abstractly beautiful I sure like your microscopic part of a unicorn's horn. (see Jay he drew fantasy). :D

Ann this is so precious it reminds me of a delicate balerina that used twirl unending inside my music box when I was a little girl. She has the same delicate features.

Judi1957
03-22-2005, 10:14 PM
Hey did everyone see JayD's skater thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259145) in the forum?

JayD
03-22-2005, 11:41 PM
Hey, Judi--the mechanical pencil experiments continue--I just posted my daughter's eye in that thread as well--very rough drawing but you can tell it is an eye.

Jim--I love your abstract and, yes, it counts--one thing that I absolutely hate about abstracts is that they FORCE yoru brain to assemble the abstract into a concrete but logical form--for example--if a chrysler automobile had a crotch--THAT would be your drawing!!!! :D

But this is a good thing--I think everyone here should look at your picture and let us all know what they seen in it. Another good imagination excercise.

Great job!

Ann, I envy the fairy drawers of the world--I have yet to get the wing right. Great drawing--feel free to let loose on the darks--it could potentially be a stunner! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cathie Jones
03-22-2005, 11:50 PM
Joe, that's one of the great abstract fantasies! I see felt (or leather), and shiny metal, but I don't see a crotch . . . I see a butt (I mean bum, Dave). I love it!!!

Ann, your fairy is delightful. She's beautiful and a little shy. Have to agree with JayD, though, it needs more darks. You know what they say in watercolor - gotta make it 'pop.'

Judi, thanks for the field trip to The Skater. JayD, I definitely need one of those pencils - that one really knows how to draw!!!

sultry
03-23-2005, 12:11 AM
Oooops I am slipping thanks Judi for posting Jay's thread....& also Dave has a nice landscape WIP here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259191)

mothsailor
03-23-2005, 05:03 AM
I see a butt (I mean bum, Dave). I love it!!!

And you look so sweet and innocent in your avatar! :wink2: :evil:

Judi1957
03-23-2005, 07:52 AM
Sorry Dave,
Had I realized a link to your village was not here, I would have done that too. How is that going?
Will you be posting another WIP soon?

mothsailor
03-23-2005, 07:55 AM
No problem! I posted an update last night.

Cathie Jones
03-23-2005, 08:48 AM
No problem! I posted an update last night.

Oh, good . . . I run over there and see what I can see in your landscape! :evil: :angel: :D

mothsailor
03-23-2005, 09:33 AM
Oh, good . . . I run over there and see what I can see in your landscape! :evil: :angel: :D

I'm afraid you'll be disappointed by the lack of butts. :evil: :p :D

idcrisis55
03-23-2005, 11:15 AM
Hiya Judi, I took your advice and went in with an Ebony pencil and added more darks, plus a bit more onto the bottom of the flower. The updated version is attached :) and don't really have a story to go with it. I named it "Emergence" as I wanted the butterfly girl to look like she was losing her cocoon with only a bit still attached covering her arms.

Night, what soft, dreamy drawing!

Hi Sults, thanks for the comments. That would be a great little music box to have as a young girl. Just made for fostering dreams.

Jay, love the skater and gliding feeling she portrays. Those darks in her hair are just great. 15 minutes, I could only do that in my dreams :(

Jay, thanks for the suggestion and the comments. I saw Judi's post last night and worked on the drawing this morning. She said more darks too lol.

Hi Cathie, thanks for taking a peek and your comments. Do you think there are enough darks now in the updated version?

Dave, what is this about a landscape and it is posted where? I would love to see it as Landscapes are my #1 favorite subject.

Hope you all will let me know if there is something more that would enhance the attached updated drawing. (Besides starting it over lol).

Thanks,
Ann

Judi1957
03-23-2005, 01:00 PM
Ann :wave: ,
I like the darks you have added as well as the addition to the bottom :clap: :clap: .
Hey the link to Dave's landscape is in post 212. The thread is in the D & S main forum.

idcrisis55
03-23-2005, 01:38 PM
Thanks Judi for the commments and for the post # of the link. I missed that when I read the thread :(.

Ann

mhimeswc
03-23-2005, 01:58 PM
Well, I still haven't done my fantasy figure (nor my male nude from the previous lesson), but I have been thinking about it a lot - the fantasy figure, not the male nude. :-)

However, I'm leaving on Friday to Washington, DC for two weeks. I will have access to a computer, but don't know how much time I will have for drawing. I may just have to be behind for a while. So if you don't hear from me, I haven't dropped out, just spending some time touring DC and hanging out with my 3 grandchildren.

Michelle

Cathie Jones
03-23-2005, 03:12 PM
Ann, she's perfect!

Dave, I posted in your thread . . . :evil:

mothsailor
03-23-2005, 03:21 PM
Ann, she's lovely! :clap: Looks like one of the pictures in my daughter's flower fairies book.

CJ: thanks for the comments! :)

Judi1957
03-23-2005, 03:30 PM
Hey Dave, :wave:
I am always confused :confused: when you all across the Pacific talk in paper sizes (?) like A3 for example. Can you tell me what A3 is? and other sizes if you would..

idcrisis55
03-23-2005, 03:57 PM
Michelle, hope you have a really fun, enjoyable trip. Will you be visiting the Washington Zoo in your sightseeing? I remember it from years and years ago. It was a great place to see, and hope it would be today too.

Cathie, thanks :D Appreciate the comments as always

Hi Dave, thanks for the looksee and the comments. I'm enjoying your drawing thread and it is coming along very well. I see you have added a few more darks and straightened the walls.

BTW, what is cartridge paper??? lol

Ann

mothsailor
03-23-2005, 04:07 PM
Michelle, Hope you have a great trip! I always enjoy visiting DC. The National Gallery of Art is a must for me every visit!

I think the name comes from the fact that it used to be (maybe still is) used in the manufacture of shotgun cartridges. In this country it seems to be a standard type of paper for drawing. It's generally quite lightweight (60lbs) but has a bit of tooth. Also it's quite cheap!!

idcrisis55
03-23-2005, 04:10 PM
Hey thanks Dave, that was an interesting tidbit about the cartridge paper. Thanks for sharing the info and I'll remember what it is now :)

Ann

JayD
03-23-2005, 04:56 PM
Ann, Beautiful!

Mary Woodul
03-23-2005, 05:26 PM
Ann I love your fairy, it is beautiful. Thank you for asking about the cartridge paper, I thought I was the only one that didn't know and now that I know that is probably what i have been using becuase it doesn't say anything on the pad. Hi All :wave:

jmfletch
03-23-2005, 07:27 PM
Ann, the darks really did it ...Love your fairy. :clap: :clap:

Dave, didn't comment in the other thread but I really like the way you handled the arches in your landscape!! (That must be the engineer in me coming out. :D )

Silk, Mary, Judi, CJ, Ann and JayD - Thanks for the kind words on my "abstract car crotch" :D

Sults thanks for the cover story :D

Joe

idcrisis55
03-23-2005, 07:35 PM
Jay, Mary, Joe, thanks :wave: :D

lol Mary, it is nice to know I wasn't the only one that didn't know about the cartridge paper, love the company :)

ROFL Joe, I almost choked on my coffee when I read the name of your abstract. Too funny :evil: :D

Ann

jmfletch
03-23-2005, 07:48 PM
Can't take credit for that one. That was JayD's comment a couple of pages back.

[QUOTE=JayD]Jim--I love your abstract and, yes, it counts--one thing that I absolutely hate about abstracts is that they FORCE yoru brain to assemble the abstract into a concrete but logical form--for example--if a chrysler automobile had a crotch--THAT would be your drawing!!!! :D
QUOTE]

Joe aka Jim

Judi1957
03-23-2005, 08:26 PM
Hey All! :wave:

You should all see 101'er Rose's WIP (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258105) . She is doing such a beautiful job on a portrait of her daughter!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

JayD
03-23-2005, 10:21 PM
Judi--thanks for the tip on Rose's portrait--it was a real treat.

sultry
03-24-2005, 09:45 AM
Yes Judi ty, she has done a wonderful job on her wip. wow,

!!!ALERT!!!
Hey guys, START bugging Judi to see her commission portraits. They are fantastic & I should know she showed me them.
Judi you should post a thread, I mean it gf. :cat:

Judi1957
03-24-2005, 12:53 PM
Hey Mary and JayD,
Did you see this thread in CP (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256782&page=1&pp=15), I havent read it all yet, but the pros are really giving us a lot of tips, etc on CP. :D

mothsailor
03-24-2005, 05:05 PM
I just got a new pen today, and while I was playing with it I doodled this fantasy flower.

JayD
03-24-2005, 05:21 PM
Judi and Company--anyone interested in exploring CP

GO HERE:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84820

This is THE best colored pencil source on the web compiled By Arlene and Leanne of the CP forum.

Be sure to let me know what you think!!

Judi1957
03-24-2005, 05:36 PM
He-he-he JayD, beat you with the link 2 posts back. :evil: :D

Hey Dave, nice sketch, reminds me of a hydrangea, or are thise fairy wings. :D
What knid of pen did you get?
And one more thing, can you explain your paper sizes. A3 = ?, etc.

Cathie Jones
03-24-2005, 05:59 PM
Here's a novel way to get your art into a museum (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7287580/).

Thanks Judi (and JayD) I visited the CP thread - and still didn't find out why CP have to be kept so sharp, just many different ways of keeping them sharp.

Judi1957
03-24-2005, 07:03 PM
Hey CJ :wave:
The reason you need to keep your cp's so sharp is a sharp point gets into the valleys of the paper, therefore resulting in better coverage. If you use a dull point, you are just putting color on the tops of the tooth. So for a smooth finish/good coverage, keep 'em sharp. This would hold true for graphite for smooth finish/good coverage.

Cathie Jones
03-24-2005, 07:35 PM
Hey CJ :wave:
The reason you need to keep your cp's so sharp is a sharp point gets into the valleys of the paper, therefore resulting in better coverage. If you use a dull point, you are just putting color on the tops of the tooth. So for a smooth finish/good coverage, keep 'em sharp. This would hold true for graphite for smooth finish/good coverage.

YIKES! You mean you color whole pages with the TIP of the pencil? It must take a lot of time to do a CP. :eek: I still haven't learned that kind of patience.

jmfletch
03-24-2005, 07:38 PM
- and still didn't find out why CP have to be kept so sharp, just many different ways of keeping them sharp.

A sharp point will get into the microscopic 'valleys' on the paper and give you smooth color. As the point gets rounded, it skims over the 'valleys' leaving color only on the 'hills' which leaves a lot of little spots where the paper shows through. (Those would be the valleys which have no color.)

Hope that helps .
Joe

Edit to add: Missed the new page and didn't see Judi's excellent response. Sorry for wasted band width.

SILKNSATIN
03-24-2005, 07:38 PM
:wave: just checking in looking at all the wonderful work and converse :D

Mary Woodul
03-24-2005, 07:53 PM
Judi and JayD thanks for those links, I just have to try those pointers.

CJ, ha,ha, good way to get famous! :clap:

Like your flower Dave, I have never tried pen, I feel it would slip all over the paper and I wouldn't control it.

Hey, Bon and Joe:D

JayD
03-24-2005, 08:46 PM
Hi, Joe and CJ--bear in mind that the CP DOES NOT Always have to be sharp--it is a good idea to keep round tips as well--CJ you need to experiment with both--generally sharp but sometimes dull is required as well.

Judi1957
03-24-2005, 09:55 PM
LOL CJ, Just read the link! My favorite part: "Banksy’s version of Andy Warhol’s iconic images of Campbell’s Soup Cans showed a can of Tesco value tomato soup." ROTFLOL. I didn't see if charges were filed againt him....

Hey Joe, JayD, Bon and Mary :wave:

JayD
03-24-2005, 10:00 PM
Hey guys--popping in--how are the fantasy drawing going?

Next week we are going to be doing folds so be prepared.

Judi1957
03-24-2005, 10:18 PM
Going to start it right now Boss! :D

JayD
03-24-2005, 11:23 PM
My daughter is taking an art class as an elective and has to come up with 11 projects in the next month. This is the start of one--I do not know if she will have time to finish it but I am posting it because she happened to be looking at her watch and realized there is never enough time so she added a 13hour--what you dont see is the watch band on the watch upon which she is floating. She is a beginner but the imagination is there so be kind and thanks for looking