:cool:

MountainSong
03-14-2005, 01:21 AM
He took my words. :(

Okay, I love drappy white dresses. :p
Sweet one you got here Woman.

shanalee
03-14-2005, 02:23 AM
you have done SUCH a great job in conveying each girl's specific personality within a simplistic painting..very well done, i love this!

bepos
03-14-2005, 07:06 AM
you have done SUCH a great job in conveying each girl's specific personality within a simplistic painting..very well done, i love this!
You have conveyed so much with this quiet painting. The temptation is to open picture look and say "three girls, two in black facing forward, one in white facing back, blue background" close picture. However, this painting calls you back. You stare as the two girls stare back. Then you begin to notice all of the subtleties in composition. The height differences, the two brooches(what are their significances and is the third girl wearing one and what color is it?) What at first glance appears to be too much space around the figures at second look seems necessary to convey the tension between the three girls. There is a story here.

I am one of three girls, the middle. I really find a connection to this painting. Must look great in person being such a large size. Thank you for sharing. :)

stapeliad
03-14-2005, 10:48 AM
I love your work.
:D

themanda
03-14-2005, 04:39 PM
thank you all. i'm glad that you're all able to see the message behind the quietness of the work.

i'm starting to feel as if my work is being overly classified as 'simplistic'. i do realize that the pieces themselves are quite simple, but it is intentional. i don't care for some of the labels that it's getting, though. this leads me to either think that the work is simplistic, or that i should just steel myself for the labels and let the work stand on its own feet.

what are the thoughts on that? y'all can clearly be more objective than i can. i'm prepared for harsh truths, here, or i wouldn't be asking the questions.

printzessofthenorth
03-14-2005, 05:07 PM
thank you all. i'm glad that you're all able to see the message behind the quietness of the work.

i'm starting to feel as if my work is being overly classified as 'simplistic'. i do realize that the pieces themselves are quite simple, but it is intentional. i don't care for some of the labels that it's getting, though. this leads me to either think that the work is simplistic, or that i should just steel myself for the labels and let the work stand on its own feet.

what are the thoughts on that? y'all can clearly be more objective than i can. i'm prepared for harsh truths, here, or i wouldn't be asking the questions.

I suppose some people who just have to label things might call a haiku poem 'simplistic' but I don't think that those same people could write an authentic haiku. There is much more to a haiku then 5 syllables, 7 syllables, 5 syllables. Trying to find just the right limited number of words to reveal profound truths of nature, only through the picture that nature gives one, without putting any of oneself into the poem is extremely complicated and difficult. I think the same is true with images such as yours. Looks simple at first glance but requiring an immense amount of skill, planning, blood, sweat and tears. As a great man once said: 'simplicity is the essence of sophistication'.

blessings,

debbieryder

ashling
03-14-2005, 06:34 PM
simple ?
bahhhh ! ~~~ far from it :music:
and any way, you wont show us up close & personal like
so how can we tell ...... she pokes out her tongue and runs away .... very far away :p

one of three !
and the winner is ?
the one whose not watching :D

im sorry, im too biased, to be of any use, to you :eek:

Tamana
03-14-2005, 07:36 PM
I suppose some people who just have to label things might call a haiku poem 'simplistic' but I don't think that those same people could write an authentic haiku. There is much more to a haiku then 5 syllables, 7 syllables, 5 syllables. Trying to find just the right limited number of words to reveal profound truths of nature, only through the picture that nature gives one, without putting any of oneself into the poem is extremely complicated and difficult. I think the same is true with images such as yours. Looks simple at first glance but requiring an immense amount of skill, planning, blood, sweat and tears. As a great man once said: 'simplicity is the essence of sophistication'.

blessings,

debbieryder

She's right in what she
says. I'd heed her good advice:

Simple--is not so.

I'm reminded of Cinderella... :)

Are those fairy tales that shaped our lives and dreams when we were young also not considered simple?

I find your work simply complex. Less is more.