PDA

View Full Version : The Weekly Brayer, March 13-20

Diane Cutter
03-13-2005, 08:56 AM
Well, Andrew is out of town so I'll start The Weekly Brayer for this week... I promised in the last one I'd put up some underwater photos, so please be patient with later posts today...

For newcomers, the Brayer is a great place to share those things that you've experienced over the week, whether printmaking in nature or not... Feel free to introduce yourselves and let us know a little about you.

Diane

H2O_Baby
03-13-2005, 09:16 AM
Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! More snow!

I guess it is a good day to print, and to work on a plate for the exchange. I think I shall print rather than go shopping for necessary groceries. Priorities. Sigh.

I am glad I joined this forum, I am finding that I am doing more printing, although some times I think I spend too much time just reading old posts. I started at the back, page 35, and am now up to page 29.

Thank you Deb & Doug for your compliments regarding the scallops ATC print, too bad Andrew didn't pick a sea theme as it would have been easier for me! The topic he picked will make me work harder though.

I have tried some experimenting based on posts I have read, for instance, I tried to etch lino. I got a sloppy mess, all detail on the plate was gone, so I must have done something wrong. I think I left it in too long. I also think the masking method was not ideal, I used candle wax painted onto the lino. In any case draino (or did I use red-devil) does indeed eat the lino!

Oh yes, I found my silk screen frame and also the silk when I was cleaning the basement and organizing stuff. I also found my inks and filler fluids, I seem to recall that last time I printed I wanted to wash out the supposedly water soluble filler with no luck.

Doug, any pointers?

Printmakerguy
03-13-2005, 08:31 PM
Well, This will be just a quick check-in, As my internet connection at the moment is SLOW... And, I have some work to get done...

Back on the ship now, and in the cold... Not fun. Oh well, only 4 weeks to go and I'll be back in FLorida...

I have the sketches done for my exchange print, and will be working on the block next week. Should be interesting.

Don't have too much fun without me!!

printzessofthenorth
03-14-2005, 03:42 PM
Hello folks,

Hope you are all having a fantabulous week. It's new and still unmade, so make of it what you will. (Ach I sound manic or ...plain crazy!) Any way, h20, it always feels like print exchanges are challenging around here!lol!!! Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.

And Diane thanks for starting this. Don't believe I've started one yet. I just have a great sense of timing I suppose. hehehe

Andrew we never have fun without you. So hurry back. BTW it is unseasonably cold here in central PA.

Ach :eek: these keys keep sticking and I'm constantly backspacing to correct my mistakes! GRRRRRRR :envy: Stupid key board. If I didn't correct 'em you all would not be able to read this. It would look like code right now.

debbieryder

doug_h
03-15-2005, 06:36 PM
H2O_Baby: I wish I could be of some help, but for the most part I use screens that require gasoline and some kind of flamethrower to use. Oh, wait, that was something else.

Actually I use water soluable photo screens utilizing emulsions from Kiwo or Ulano. There is a wonderful book using non-toxic methods you could find in the library, Screenprinting : water-based techniques by Roni Henning that may help. I have loaned it out for a time, so I cannot quite remember the information that might help.

Anyway, I like the methods I utilize, except some of the inks I have to use in the commercial side of my work to stick to vinyl and such.

I would like to experiment with the methods you are inquiring about, and one of these days, I will get up off my dead backside, and stop fearing failure.

Doug