PDA

View Full Version : Pastel Holder Idea

tyhomer
03-13-2005, 02:08 AM
I use Nupastels and as we all know, pastels do like to break. And since its difficult to paint with a short 1/2" to 3/4" piece because your hand gets in the way, you wonder what to do with all the short pieces.
Some places like Jerry's Artarama have those pastel holders, but at over $12 each that is a bit much for me. So I have come up with my own version that works great.
Get yourself a pack of those "BICŪ Plus Lady Shaver" disposable razors. After ! using them, because they shave great too, hold the blade portion in a towel and break the head off of the handle--so you don't cut yourself.
Trim the curved part at the top of the handle off with a knife and at the bottom of the handle there is a flanged part. You can trim that off if you like. Then sand the ends with some sandpaper to smooth them a bit and you are done.
The nupastel fits perfectly inside the bottom where the flange was. Just insert the piece of pastel for a snug fit. The inside of the handle has these little fingers that hold the pastel really well. When you are done just pull the pastel back out and you are ready for the next color.
Attached is a picture of what I am talking about. Hope it works for you too. I would like to know if it does.
Thanks Terry

khourianya
03-13-2005, 02:21 AM
Very inventive idea and a great way to recycle! And because they are inexpensive, you could have one for each pastel, if you really wanted to. Great idea!

jackiesimmonds
03-13-2005, 03:07 AM
great idea if all you want to do is use the "end" of the pastel. You lose the option of being able to use side strokes so it limits you in terms of putting colour down onto the paper.

I have no problem using half-inch pieces. It is when they get down to 1cm that I have a problem! And then I crush them up, mix with a little distilled water, and make new pastels.

I think this would make a brilliant compressed charcoal holder, which would be good for ddrawing.

J

tyhomer
03-13-2005, 09:34 PM
Khourianya:

I have made several for myself and some in my portrait class. We sharpen the end of the pastel into sort of a rounded pencil shape so you can go from a line stroke at the point to a wider stroke on the side;depending on how you hold the pastel. For large areas we use the whole side of the pastel for a smoother effect. The holders let us use the short pieces and still see what we are doing.

Jackiesimmonds:

I don't think we are losing anything--We are gaining the use of the shorter pieces the way we use them. We paint with the sharpened ends most of the time.

Terry

Artaholic
03-14-2005, 02:59 AM
Great idea think i will pick up some of those. :) Thanks

tURBOCAT
03-14-2005, 07:42 AM
Now here's what I want to know - how in the world did you make this discovery?? This is such a bizarre connection - razor handles and pastels - great idea, but how did you put the two together?

Johnnie

tyhomer
03-15-2005, 12:58 AM
Johnnie

I had heard about pastel holders, but didn't know what they looked like. The local Jerry's didn't have them at the time and I got a few descriptions online so I started looking for a substitute.
My wife purchased some of the razors and I was shaving with one of them. They work for men too. :) The square end of the handle looked about the right size so I tried out the fit. Perfect!

Terry