PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare in Las Cruces

it'sALLart
03-12-2005, 01:57 PM
8 x 16.25... acrylic/collage on paper over board. Overboard. Over-bored.

crits? I know what I don't like about it. Let's see if we match.

sorry, lazy today:

http://www.itsallart.com/lascruces.jpg

FriendCarol
03-12-2005, 03:03 PM
Aw, c'mon. It's very colorful, and kinda fun. Oh, wait, it's still loading. LOL

Why is it loading colors over the black part it already loaded?

All right, it's stopped now. My guess about why you don't like it is: it's too nearly representational. LOL Although, it sure doesn't seem to match its title; maybe that's why you don't like it. If you pretend this was what you were trying to paint, do you like it any better?

it'sALLart
03-12-2005, 04:45 PM
hmm. the name came after it was done. ever put a bunch of unrelated stuff into a blender and then try to drink it? this was basically one of those. I like parts, but it didn't quiet match up to what else is going on currently. it's one that i may or may not show... but i wanted some opinions.

Even If It Rains
03-12-2005, 05:00 PM
Opinions?
Really does nothing for me at all.
I'll have a stab at why FWIW.
Not keen on too much black , (or any colour come to that) it just doesn't have anywhere to go , like a waste of space. It looks to me like a blackboard with chalk markings on it.
There are some interesting colours in the shapes , but I think it's the 'cut out and stuck' on feel of them that bothers me, and the shape of them, too rounded perhaps?
The whole thing looks like some kind of educational diagram.
I like the top part :D

Hope that wasn't to deep (cutting) I mean. You know I like some of your stuff alot.

Matt

it'sALLart
03-12-2005, 05:08 PM
Really does nothing for me at all.

yeah... i hear ya. the shapes were sorta supposed to be miro-esque... but theres too many conflicting styles going on... mish mash rehash.

reminds me of that last scene in the remake of "the fly" where that big metal/brindle/fly thing comes out of the machine and falls to the ground. LOL! :-)

MountainSong
03-12-2005, 08:21 PM
ItsAll – The ‘wave with the numbers and lines work together for me in a different picture – this is the best part of the painting IMHO.
I can even go with that bottom landscape-ish part in a different painting.
I think those shapes and their colors bother me. I can’t even see them put into a setting that would work for them – except something based on a puzzle perhaps.
Definitely like that wave :D

bbbilly1326
03-12-2005, 08:35 PM
reminds me of that last scene in the remake of "the fly" where that big metal/brindle/fly thing comes out of the machine and falls to the ground. LOL! :-)

Ahh, you mean like this thing ? hahahahaha :evil:

I knew I'd find a good use for that someday.

I agree with you, the elements are too disparate. I like those colorful little things (to me they look like puzzle pieces), but they look too lighthearted to go with all that ominous black, and those cryptic symbols. Also, their 1-2-3 placement doesn't really work. Not sure what the bottom element is, but it doesn't go either, it almost looks like fabric, but not in a good way for this painting.

I'd like to see those taken out though, or changed maybe, and something else put in that goes with the ominous black and the cryptic symbols and that iridescent blue (?) above, cause I like those a lot. I'm seeing old cave writings uncovered in a coal bed.

Tamana
03-12-2005, 09:33 PM
LOL Billy!! "Hellllp meee--HE'ELLLLLP MEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

Well, I'm going to be the dissenter here (NO WAY!!!!! :cool: ) but (other than the mathematical equasion from hell (not that I don't care for it...I do (it's math I hate))) I like it for one particular reason; it's pieces that don't fit. And don't we all have 'em? The equasion is indicative of piecing it all together.

The paintworking's good on all levels; the color's extremely cohesive on the pieces (like somehow they should line up as space land water like some planet in the night sky); the scratchworkings up top are fantastic and the sky line below, though not darkened, is still silhouetted against the dark. The equasion stems from the city; the secrets in the city--perhaps underground perhaps within walls.

I don't know, it's its weirdness and nonconformity to rulz that I actually like (NO WAY!!!! :cool: ).

I'd show it if there was room and see what kind of reaction you get.

it'sALLart
03-12-2005, 11:46 PM
ok, here's what was going on in my head as i created this monstrosity...

i had these old pieces of painted paper and cutting on them like i was channeling Miro (i wish!) and i was thinking how they looked like little nightmares and then i had these other parts that were actually torn off of that "relic" piece a month or so ago... i was playing with them on top of a black piece of paper and the 2nd group sort of looked like a desert with a butte sticking up... and then that song "Crack-up in Las Cruces" (Michael Murphy, an old 70's thing) came into my head and i was thinking "nightmares over Las Cruces... and then sorta conjured up the rest.

and i can't change anything onna counta they are all under about 4 coats of gloss varnish and i was gonna hang this outside and see how it held up. (it's indoor/outdoor varnish).... i know, it's all too crazy.

bbbilly1326
03-12-2005, 11:53 PM
nooooo, not crazy, ARTISTIC. that's what it's all about isn't it? It doesn't all work, but if we don't try, we won't know.

BTW, my apologies for posting one of my paintings on your thread... bad form, it won't happen again. I asked the moderator to remove the image, hope they can do it.

it'sALLart
03-13-2005, 12:10 AM
ahh, don't sweat it, billy.... i'm not... i reset my prefs so that all images come in as thumbnails.... it's soooo much easier this way...

Diane Cutter
03-13-2005, 05:52 AM
Well, I like all the parts of this piece, just not all the parts together in this piece. I feel you could lose the textured sky and the mountainous area on the bottom...

I really like your little numbers and I also love the cut-outs (just wish they weren't so 'puzzling' ... If you keep the puzzle pieces, I want them to be able to fit together somehow, where those glorious colors connect if we just had a few more puzzle pieces...

Diane

it'sALLart
03-13-2005, 08:54 AM
puzzle pieces... hmmm, well, i was going more for this feeling but i didn't want to copy... guess my pieces are kind of puzzly looking... arghh.

here's a reference point, for those still following along:

http://www.epdlp.com/cuadro.php?id=1208

i just like how playful his shapes are...

Tamana
03-13-2005, 10:07 AM
LOL Billy!! "Hellllp meee--HE'ELLLLLP MEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

Oh GREAT! Now that THE FLY has been removed, I look like some Poor Poor Penelope, Damsel in Distress on da railroad tracks, whining for help!!! :wink2:

bbbilly1326
03-13-2005, 03:09 PM
Oh GREAT! Now that THE FLY has been removed, I look like some Poor Poor Penelope, Damsel in Distress on da railroad tracks, whining for help!!! :wink2:

....not that there's anything wrong with that :cat:

btw Keith, re: how playful Miro's symbols look: I never had that perception before and in fact didn't like Miro much, but recently saw an exhibit of Miro and Calder together at the Nat'l Gallery in Washington. Then it looked like both of them playing with toys. It was a real revelation, made me appreciate both so much more.

Tamana
03-13-2005, 03:14 PM
....not that there's anything wrong with that :cat:

Says Dick Dastardly?! :wink2:

:D

FriendCarol
03-13-2005, 03:55 PM
I agree, they looked a lot like puzzle pieces, for a jigsaw puzzle. I even wondered for a moment (as they were materializing on my slow dial-up!) whether they would turn out to be transformation/rotations of one another with different colors/patterns on the surfaces.

(Tam, real mathematics is just plain fun. The problem is that most people are taught about number manipulations, like adding and dividing, instead. These are usually not fun for most of us! I think in Chicago there's a museum of science and technology, in which a wall is full of math quotations. One goes something like this, freely paraphrased: "Addition and multiplication are commutative operations, especially after breakfast." ;) )

Too bad you varnished the whole thing. You could have made the 'ground' something where the puzzle pieces almost looked like they might fit if you made them small enough, or carried them to the background. :evil:

P.S. I never mentioned, that first one, especially, the shape of it made me think of a very stylized Japanese image of a samurai or something (wearing sword and robe). Can't remember why I thought that now. :D