PDA

View Full Version : WIP /Clifford Brown

Joel2Army
03-12-2005, 07:29 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/03-12-2005/58313_clifford_Brown.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: WIP /Clifford Brown
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24x36
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is one of my favorite Jazz musicians. Not only was he an incredible musician but he also was a true family man and one of the few jazz musicians that were able to stay off drugs. A shame he died so young.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I have a lot of "sharpening up" to do. Originally i wanted to paint this black and white then do light wash of bright colors over the skin and shirt (baby blue) giving it a colorized look like an old movie. Now i fear ruining what i have already acomplished. Question; Should i continue with my original plans, or be happy with what i already have?

Of course any other comments or critiques would be apreciated as well.

Anita Murphy
03-12-2005, 09:08 AM
Difficult question. I love it as it is but am a firm believer in doing what you intended to do. Its all too easy to stop halfway because you are scared to mess up. I think you just have to ask yourself if it says what you wanted it to say and if it does you will have your answer. If it doesn't - show us when you finish. :D

I think his right hand (our right) needs a little more work, it looks a little flat at the moment. But otherwise great job.
KA

purplepansey
03-12-2005, 09:36 AM
Very nice. I like the idea of just black and white, did you do a wash of blue over it?

Mikey
03-12-2005, 12:57 PM
Joel, I understand how you feel, which is why I do my tonal monochromes as a bit of a mess. I then have the confidence that things can only get better and it also allows freer play for creativity on the way. But that's the way I work.

The thing to ask yourself is would colour add anything to this painting for you. Would some rich reds and golds for example create a mood you want. My opinion is if you can feel it down there inside with some passion, then go for it.

Mikey

JoeKaz
03-12-2005, 08:13 PM
I really like the painting, and think it would be even better with some color. Tough decision though! I'd start with some very light washes, to add just a hint of color, and then decide how far to take it.

giniaad
03-12-2005, 11:15 PM
I agree with all of the above

(including the fix of fingers on his left hand...
looking a bit flat at the moment
I think you only need to bring bright up into the dark lines
you have delinieating the fingers to round them out some more)

this looks super...your hard work shows.

go on?...that is strictly up to you...
it can stand as is...
don't let fear rule your decision...do let passion rule your decision
one never learns anything if one does not try, either... ;)

consult your muse...get in the zone...
good luck!

pero lane
03-13-2005, 11:11 AM
Whatever you decide to do, I'm sure it'll be great! Take a look at the arm on viewer left (his right)....it seems to not be there unless you look closely. :)

Joel2Army
03-14-2005, 07:29 AM
Thank you all for your help, it has helped me to decide to continue with my original plans of adding some color (if i screw it up it wouldnt be the first painting)!
Pero Lane; Thank you, and yes the arm needs some work.

giniaad; I am definately going to work on the hands more, after looking at your website and the beautiful renderings you do on hands i am inspired! Wow your work is awesome.

JoeKaz; Thanks i am going to do just that.

Mikey; Golds i had in mind, reds i did not however i like the idea!

purplepansey; No i didnt do a blue wash. I used Panes Grey rather than a true black.

present; Thank you and i will be sure to post the finished piece.

God bless you all
Joel2Army
Matthew

Bevahlee
03-15-2005, 07:43 PM
mmm, I like it as it is but I think you'd be happier if you charged forth with the color. His right arm seems to be missing and the left hand is too flat where it holds the horn and there is a line that looks like a string coming out of the horn. Maybe that line (what is it?) could continue up the wall, like a wall panel. I like the division of space it creates, but it's in an awkward position.Wonderful execution of the face and the expression. I can almost hear it. :-)

Joel2Army
03-29-2005, 07:14 AM
:wave: Sorry it took so long to update but i had to get away from it for a while. In the mean time i started my first oil adventure :rolleyes: i must say takes a little getting used to. Any who, here is Clifford with some color...I am really considering stopping there and then tighting up the grey values in his hands. Im not sure what the color does for it, I think it jazzes it up a bit? What do you think?
God Bless
Joel2Army
Matthew

Joel2Army
03-29-2005, 07:15 AM
:wave: Oh by the way this is a picture of Clifford in the studio so the line you see coming out of the horn is a mic.
God Bless
Joel2Army
Matthew

Mikey
03-29-2005, 07:33 AM
Matthew,

Be sure not to lose sight of your tonal values now you are adding colour. You may need to restate the darks and from I see in this photo certainly add some highlights. It is important to establish the tonal values throughout, not when you finish.

Mikey