PDA

View Full Version : Orange Escaping!

FriendCarol
03-10-2005, 04:49 PM
This is a quick sketch, in w/c pencils (with Pentel Color Brush) on sketchbook page. Does it have dominance of angle, color (note 'sky' outside of net would be yellow, rather than blue), and shape? Is it coherent?

It's not abstract, but maybe I can get there through primitive surrealism. :rolleyes:

DevineCreative
03-13-2005, 08:36 AM
This is a quick sketch, in w/c pencils (with Pentel Color Brush) on sketchbook page. Does it have dominance of angle, color (note 'sky' outside of net would be yellow, rather than blue), and shape? Is it coherent?

It's not abstract, but maybe I can get there through primitive surrealism. :rolleyes:
Hmmm...The first thing you mentioned is that this is a quick sketch. That is how it appears. I would say it is not coherent. Go back and add some details. Create some confident purposeful lines. Add the colors that are intended (don't tell us about them.) A wip will need to be, I would say, at least 30% complete in order to critique. And if a minimal amount of effort is what you are looking for, try watercolor or even pastels. Colored pencils are best suited for those paintings that are fairly detailed.

Good Luck!
Pamela

FriendCarol
03-13-2005, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the critique -- I do appreciate it... I posted this here for someone to look at, actually. :) I only have 15 w/c pencils, so it is hardly practical for me to do any real work with them! LOL

This is literally a sketch of an idea for an actual w/c painting (with transparent pigments from tubes, I mean). I was trying to find out if the sketch -- or "thumbnail" (a rough color thumbnail, since I don't get b&w) justified the waste of real paper, paint, time, etc. Thank you, though! :)

If anyone would like to critique this AS a thumbnail, I still haven't decided whether or not to pursue the concept, so reactions would be useful. I'm still a beginner at this comp stuff; I'm wondering if I have dominance of shape (rounded, or circles?), color (yellow/orange?), line or direction (rising diagonal?), etc. I'm pretty sure I have variety of shapes, sizes, and colors... Still can't see these things in my own work, though I can usually find it in other people's. :rolleyes:

Bevahlee
03-15-2005, 07:27 PM
[QUOTE=FriendCarol]This is a quick sketch, in w/c pencils (with Pentel Color Brush) on sketchbook page. Does it have dominance of angle, color (note 'sky' outside of net would be yellow, rather than blue), and shape? Is it coherent?

It just feels thin to me. Just not enough. More more more. Bruise and beat and hammer it, but bald space is not very interesting most of the time. You think like I do. I want a critique that helps, not the attaboys (unless it really :wave: deserves it) lol

FriendCarol
03-16-2005, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. :) Perhaps I'll indicate where I would put more leaves (lower right corner) and repost it one of these day; could also throw in another orange or two down there -- well-behaved ones. :D

On the other hand, plein air season is fast approaching, so I probably won't be interested in tackling this sort of thing now until next winter! Maybe by then I'll be better at evaluating my own thumbnail sketches. :rolleyes: