PDA

View Full Version : Need some input about an idea ...

Carol Rosinski
03-10-2005, 09:42 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm very glad to have found this forum ... and I have an odd question to ask ...

Lately I have felt very compelled to make my miniatures in "shapes". It started when I made one in a oval shape. I use a nice thick Bristol Board to create them and the disc shape of the oval turned out to be very appealing.

At the moment, I am drawing a cat on a cushion ... from above ... so that the cushion completely surrounds the cat. I feel very inclined to make the cushion edges become the actual edges of the whole piece. So, if I did that, the drawing would come right out to the edges of the Bristol Board ... and it would have this really neat shape.

What concerns me is how something like that could be displayed. How would you frame or display a drawing that came right out to the edges of the board ... and an odd shape at that.

Just wanted to see if anyone has any ideas about this.

I haven't figured out how to post a picture yet or I would show you what I mean ...

Carol

NHyde
03-10-2005, 11:47 AM
Just recently someone mentioned "floater frames" to me. The image floats in the center of the frame rather than reach the edge. Or, I was thinking, if you had a series of similar mini's, a "shadow box" might work. *shrug*

Best of luck and when you figure it out, will you post your solution? I'd love to see a framed piece. :)

Cheers,
Nicole

Carol Rosinski
03-10-2005, 02:47 PM
I have never really seen a floater frame, Nicole, so I looked it up and that is a very pretty way to present a piece. I like the idea of a shadow box very much too.

Thanks for helping me to unstick my brain!

Carol

blumoon
03-11-2005, 12:18 AM
Could they be mounted on mat board, then framed? Would anyone know how to do that? I have been wondering about that, not because the work is irregular shapes, but because I am an amateur at cutting mats. :D

Carol Rosinski
03-11-2005, 11:31 AM
hmmmm ... I was thinking that I could mount them with some archival quality glue on a mat board and then frame them ... but I usually sign them on the back because they are so small ... hmmmm

Guess I'm gonna have to start signing 'em on the front!

Carol

Carol Rosinski
03-11-2005, 05:45 PM
AAAAAACK ... well I don't need to worry about how to frame *this* piece anymore because I just ruined it!

LOL ... Live and Learn!!

I had been working on the cat and leaving most of the surrounding cushion until I decided if I wanted to cut it out or not. Decided to go for it. Edges turned out ragged looking. Kept snipping and cutting trying to get rid of all the raggedies. Nothing worked. Decided to bevel the edge (was getting pretty desperate at this point). That looked worse. Decided to cut out the cat (really really desperate now) and ... finally had to admit that I am really awful at cutting out shapes with an exacto knife.

sigh.

Now I have ... a ... tiny ... jigsaw puzzle. oh my.

Let's see ... lessons learned here:

1. Need to practice with the exacto knife before attempting this sort of thing again.
2. Would probably be a good idea to cut the darned shape out *first*.
3. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose!!!!!!

Carol - Living and learning ... still ... at my age!!!!!!!!

blumoon
03-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Oh no, I hope it's not ruined! Maybe you can be innovative with what you have to work with at this moment.What about putting the pieces together, you know like a triphtic only different? Maybe not all is lost, and you are about to make a good discovery. Can you post the work?

Carol Rosinski
03-11-2005, 10:51 PM
Thank you, blumoon, for your optimism!

Oh my.

I think I need to ... Step Away From The Art ...

until morning at least ...

I'll take another look in tomorrow and see if anything can be salvaged.

Carol

blumoon
03-12-2005, 02:20 PM
I think I need to ... Step Away From The Art ... LOL, I know that feeling.
I was thinking about what you could use to mount to matboard. Don't know what medium you are working in. I work mainly in acrylics and I was wondering about acrylic gel medium or something. Don't think there is glue that is archival. Just a thought. :wink2:

trialcallig
03-12-2005, 02:30 PM
I'll take another look in tomorrow and see if anything can be salvaged.

Carol

Don't ever throw anything away!!! I have a special shoebox for my "unfinished" works, sometimes they sit in there for years. Even if the edges are ruined, it might work out in a mixed media/collage work? If nothing else, mount it on matboard, and hang it above your desk for inspiration for future work. :wink2:

Carol Rosinski
03-12-2005, 05:35 PM
Well the final verdict is that ... I'm gonna start over. Darnit. But I won't throw any of the pieces away (thank you for the inspiration, trialcallig) because I might be able to use it again somehow somewhere.

And I do think that blumoon's suggestion for using acrylic gel as a sort of archival glue substitute would work beautifully. I am working on Bristol Board ... so I'm sure that would work to hold the piece in place on a mat board.

So I'm picking up the pieces (literally :rolleyes: ) and moving on.

Heck ... I've learned a lot from this ... the hard way!

Carol

KateD
03-13-2005, 03:58 PM
Carol, anytime you have an encounter with one of those knives and aren't wounded, it's a win! :D

You may be able to use gesso to bond the pieces. I had a painting I'd purchased from an auction. I loved it, even with it's tear--the corner of something ripped through it. After a few years of steeling my nerves, I gessoed a small piece of canvas to the back and began to repair the front.

On another project, I was attempting to paint a miniature but had no miniatures canvasses. I cut a small canvas board to size and because I didn't like the original canvas, I gessoed and wrapped (while wet) a piece of canvas I liked better. It stuck, and stayed--wrapped like a package with mitred corners.

I'm singing the praises of gesso.